Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
23 minutes ago, markyo said:

So thankful this vile heat will soon be gone, been a very tough week for working in, REALLY looking forward to the cool down as is everybody i've spoken to!

Can we try and agree on one thing. I don’t mind losing the 27c and above heat, so long as we have some more sunny weather with temps in the low 20s, or around 24c.

That’s my only problem with cooler or average weather in recent summers, as it always seems to be accompanied by more cloud and very dull periods.

I’m still hoping we get a storm during the transition to cooler conditions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Yeah but don't want it to go from one extreme to the other! my location looks a washout from Saturday and probably too cold

Yeah this is the problem isn’t it. I would still take heat over the cool and damp stuff during summer.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Little moan from me today: I recorded a max of 29.9 °C for the second time this week! And we're out of time now. Grrr.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Certainly expecting thick sea mist even fret tomorrow, bbc even showing it and they rarely do

could take until early afternoon to clear

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal

Must admit it will be nice to have a bit of a cool down. It's been pretty unbearable working outside in the heat. On average I've shifted , mixed up for, and layed about a ton of stone per day . I've been knocking off at 2pm all this week.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Just been to help my brother move some hay bales 4 miles up the road only when i got there i was greeted with torrential rain so came home where it is still dry!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, 78/79 said:

I've been knocking off at 2pm all this week.

Who's that then, Andy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
4 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Surprised 2006 ended up so much lower than 2018 even with August. I recall it being pretty much as glorious.

August that year was rubbish,dull,cloudy and cool.I also recall the start of June being poor  as the World cup had started and Germany was experiencing unseasonaly hot weather 30deg+ and i was out working cursing the 12 deg and drizzle we were greeted with.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
18 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Who's that then, Andy!

Wouldn't have the energy or motivation these days Pete . There's more go in a bottle of lemonade .

Edited by 78/79
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Even the most memorable Summers and Winters had at least one or two drab Atlantic spells. 

I don't mind such spells as long as, say in Summer, they're broken up with drier warmer spells. It's when you get dross after dross like 2011 or 2007 when it gets tiresome. 

With regards to Augusts, I can't comment too much because growing up I was very lucky and went on very long holidays either travelling around or staying at relatives. 

Friends often told me though that the weather was poor only to warm up again in September! Looking at the stats it seems they're right and that trend largely continues with a long 'hot August drought'. Yes last year we had a good spell early August but when will we get a decent August overall?

EDIT: My idea of good summer weather is dry and warm / hot, I not everyone is the same!

Edited by Bradley in Kent

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Can we try and agree on one thing. I don’t mind losing the 27c and above heat, so long as we have some more sunny weather with temps in the low 20s, or around 24c.

100 percent we can agree, it is Summer, we need warmth and above all sunny weather. Totally with you on this one. Low 20's up to 24/25c with sunshine, perfect. No problem with that at all so long as there is a mixture with cooler days with a spot of rain.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

100 percent we can agree, it is Summer, we need warmth and above all sunny weather. Totally with you on this one. Low 20's up to 24/25c with sunshine, perfect.

Yeah same here, I found that last part of June and early July particularly difficult as the amount of sunshine hours could be counted on two hands here, it was such a drab spell regardless of rainfall.

The upcoming spell on the face of it looks a return to those days, but at least for the south it doesn't look quite as dull. There probably will be spells of frontal rain and probably heavy showers, but equally there does look like there is some decent sunshine to be had on a NW airflow once any frontal mess has cleared down here.

Basically it looks perhaps a little cooler/wetter than average but on days away from frontal rain it probably won't feel that terrible, especially if your somewhat sheltered from SW/W winds.

• Like 1

First evening in 6 it hasn’t been 25C at 8pm. Only about 23C this evening and already feels fresh. Not looking forward to this time next week when 13-17C at this time in the evening is more likely. Time to whip the jumpers and jackets out again.

Posted

Spent the day on sandbanks beach to make the last of the hot weather and probably summer. Knew it was coming so booked the day off and what a wonderfully pleasant day it was too.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
1 minute ago, Azazel said:

Spent the day on sandbanks beach to make the last of the hot weather and probably summer. Knew it was coming so booked the day off and what a wonderfully pleasant day it was too.

Plenty of time yet, you miserable fakir? image.thumb.png.7ffb0c0c8e7daf5a7cd7ed6301e3cc79.png 

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Plenty of time yet, you miserable fakir? image.thumb.png.7ffb0c0c8e7daf5a7cd7ed6301e3cc79.png 

Haha I’m just getting shades of that year (a few years ago) where summer abruptly ended in July after some storms.

We just seem to get stuck in patterns for ages these days and I foresee the cooler pattern taking ages to shift - by which point it’ll be late august and summer is nearly over.

Not saying we won’t get some heat come September mind you but for me it feels different at that time of year and my attention turns to winter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!

I am a huge fan of sunny weather and had this week off from work so this week has been a dream for me! Shame the weekend is forecasted as a washout as i had lots of plans but still can't complain much. It eases the memories of the 2 month worth cloudfest of the majority of May and end 2nd half of June into the 1st half of July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Yes, I think most people would be more than happy with summer temps between the low to mid 20s. Those temps are pleasantly warm and very useable for everybody to enjoy. Perhaps a bit boring from a meterological point of view though.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
17 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes, I think most people would be more than happy with summer temps between the low to mid 20s. Those temps are pleasantly warm and very useable for everybody to enjoy. Perhaps a bit boring from a meterological point of view though.

They would, as would I, if sunny with light winds ?? Very nice indeed. Heatwaves are really only fun if you can go swimming outdoors or can cool down when needed, but vile Atlantic, grey chilly grot is worse

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

You know if you offered me an entire summer of 26C (still mid 20s) along with overnight lows of 16-18C I’d never moan as long as the warmth retained through the evening to make outside activities perfectly pleasant in shorts and T-shirt’s. Also with maxes of just 26C those who normally do struggle to sleep in hot spells shouldn’t do too badly as maxes of 25/26C wouldn’t lead to huge amounts of heat building up in houses, surfaces etc. Throw one overnight TS dumping an Inch of rain per week you have more than enough water to go around and 1,400 hours of sun each summer. Maybe boring but imagine 90days of perfect useable weather, no cricket washouts, damp weddings, cancelled airshows due to low clouds, mud baths at Glasto, washouts at Wimbledon, soggy staycations. Who’s in? 

On 14/07/2021 at 10:16, Alderc said:

Just thought I’d let everyone know to expect a terrible spell of weather 31st July - 3rd August. This is absolutely 100% nailed on as I’ve planned a few days in Torquay. 

Well this was looking pretty accurate ??

Posted

still 26c outside here at 22.30,  no breeze and the bedroom is like a sauna . wigan is currently one of the warmest spots in the uk , even london is only 22c , what the hell is going on ?   the temps are very reluctant to fall ,  god this getting tedious ,  another night where sleep will be hard to come by ,  hate this now   

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer

I'm glad the heatwave is coming to an end this weekend, i've had enough of it myself, the fan is costing too much money to run and i could do with something fresh for a few days but i really dont want a 2012 style crapfest to finish off summer,   Also too many children drowning in lakes from jumping in to cool off. 

• Like 2