Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

I've got a portable a/c, it's certainly been the best thing in the world at the moment.... Electric wise, it's added £20 to the bill since last Saturday - I have 2KW solar too which lowers the daytime consumption.

• Like 1

Posted

A warning, really. On Tuesday I had a bit of a heat-health related incident. I'd had a fun birthday weekend at the beach and outdoors generally , and although I don't drink alcohol, sat in the shade and drank lots of squash, I still managed to get dehydrated. On Tuesday, I had loads of laundry to do. My flat is tiny and had no outdoor space  and on a heat island surrounded by concrete and a 3 lane A road, and when it gets hot, it stays hot. I had a small tumble dryer on, my dehumidifier broke (flat has a humidity problem) and my darn neighbours were smoking below my window all day, meaning I had to shut it. As a result, I was doing hours lots of housework in 31.c indoors and with humidity of 78 and already dehydrated. I started overheating and shaking and suddenly felt really weak and dizzy. My boyfriend rushed home form work and drove me around in the car for half an hour with the air con on and I had a bottle of cold water. Gradually, I started to feel better but it was really frightening. I grew up partly in Saudi Arabia so have always been a bit complacent about heat.  Don't be. I've always maintained that heat is harder to bear for people who live in flats and with climate change, this is only going to get worse. 

• Like 6

Posted
1 hour ago, Team Squirrel said:

A warning, really. On Tuesday I had a bit of a heat-health related incident. I'd had a fun birthday weekend at the beach and outdoors generally , and although I don't drink alcohol, sat in the shade and drank lots of squash, I still managed to get dehydrated. On Tuesday, I had loads of laundry to do. My flat is tiny and had no outdoor space  and on a heat island surrounded by concrete and a 3 lane A road, and when it gets hot, it stays hot. I had a small tumble dryer on, my dehumidifier broke (flat has a humidity problem) and my darn neighbours were smoking below my window all day, meaning I had to shut it. As a result, I was doing hours lots of housework in 31.c indoors and with humidity of 78 and already dehydrated. I started overheating and shaking and suddenly felt really weak and dizzy. My boyfriend rushed home form work and drove me around in the car for half an hour with the air con on and I had a bottle of cold water. Gradually, I started to feel better but it was really frightening. I grew up partly in Saudi Arabia so have always been a bit complacent about heat.  Don't be. I've always maintained that heat is harder to bear for people who live in flats and with climate change, this is only going to get worse. 

This is not a new problem, and i feel for you. We live in a very small studio flat, which gets very hot in summer and ice cold come october to April.

My uncle had a similar problem in summers of 1983 and 84, when he lived in a small flat.  It's not so much climate change thats the problem, but this country has never made properties that are equipped to deal with any temps that exceed 26c. Once the daytime high reaches and goes above 27c for 3 or more days, the inside of most flats and smaller properties without outside balcony and gardens, will become very uncomfortable.

• Like 4

Posted
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

2021 244 (up to 20th July)

I was commenting on how good summer 06 was.. was it pulled down significantly due to sunshine levels in August. Otherwise I would expect it to have been higher in ranking, better than 2013 in my opinion.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Surprised 2006 ended up so much lower than 2018 even with August. I recall it being pretty much as glorious.

• Like 1

Making the most of things again, just done a 10k at lunchtime, yes it’s warm but my body doesn’t hurt when it’s like this. 27C just about perfect currently. 

Posted

It's been 28C here the last couple of days which is too hot for me but one consolation is that the local scenery looks nice in the sun. Crappy phone pic as I'm too lazy to carry a  proper camera on my daily walks when it is hot..

DSC_0168_2.JPG

• Like 3

Posted

Hottest spots so far seem to be south west England and north Wales at 30C. Here in Leeds it's 26C.

Sme showers now starting to crop up.

Edited by summer blizzard

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Hi all! I'm back from my temporary ban. I've learnt my lesson now - no more arguing or guilt tripping from me! I will promise to be on my best behaviour...   

Anyway, last day of this miserable weather to go and then it's all over!  - well, tommorow will still be warm but it will be a bit cooler. 

Here are my daytime maxima and lowest humidity values for each day over the past week:

Saturday: 28.5C 47%

Sunday: 26C

Monday: 26C 55%

Tuesday: 26C 33%

Wednesday: 27C 47%

Today: Currently 27C 47%

Minima have been around 14/15C. Not as hot as some areas but still way too hot for me! 

Looking like a cool and unsettled first half to August now. Bring it on!!

Feel like singing this lol.

Cool and Unsettled August 2021 - Week 1.png

Cool and Unsettled August 2021 - Week 2.png

• Like 1

Posted

I had a look at my past posts on here from a year ago and MaPantz was right, my weather preferences were much more in favour of warmth, I even argued with Markyo becuase he was complaining about the upcoming hot spell... Forgot all about that!

Bear in mind though that last July was exceptionally poor here though (avg max just 17C) so it was natural for me to wish for some warm weather, this July has been really warm/hot here so I'm naturally going to wish for some rain and cool weather, as there hasn't been much of it here this summer, unusally so.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
51 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Surprised 2006 ended up so much lower than 2018 even with August. I recall it being pretty much as glorious.

Locally, June 2018 was sunnier, warmer  than June 2006 and August 2018 was warmer and sunnier than August 2006. Also less rain days. 

Edited by Weather-history

Posted
45 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Making the most of things again, just done a 10k at lunchtime, yes it’s warm but my body doesn’t hurt when it’s like this. 27C just about perfect currently. 

Amazing how different we all are. Couldn't imagine running a mile in this weather never mind 10!  

Sat in front of the fan in just my undies trying to keep cool! 27C here too.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

This is not a new problem, and i feel for you. We live in a very small studio flat, which gets very hot in summer and ice cold come october to April.

My uncle had a similar problem in summers of 1983 and 84, when he lived in a small flat.  It's not so much climate change thats the problem, but this country has never made properties that are equipped to deal with any temps that exceed 26c. Once the daytime high reaches and goes above 27c for 3 or more days, the inside of most flats and smaller properties without outside balcony and gardens, will become very uncomfortable.

Agree with you, lived in the same flat for 28 years and it was as always roasting in hot spells, despite all windows open. If you don’t like the heat then it’s definitely difficult to endure for any length of time. Definitely not a new problem, this summer has been largely lacklustre for much of the south so no extended periods of overly warm houses to deal with there.

Posted

Given the British climate, the focus on reducing household fossil fuel/power consumption over the last 40 years has been to make houses warmer with double glazing, cavity wall insulation, loft insulation etc.

That can generally be applied to existing housing stock and works for much of the year but unfortunately makes properties too warm sometimes in summer.

To have houses that are naturally warmer in winter  but also cooler when required in summer, means different designs and can not usually be economically retrofitted to properties.

So, given that we don't build enough houses at the moment to satisfy demand, there is not much that can be done about it.

You could try moving to Scotland where the housing is relatively cheap and more plentiful and you will definitely be cooler (and wetter) for most of the time   .  We are also the windiest country in Europe.

Just don't all come at once as we don't want it too busy

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Part of our office is a converted pub, an old building that is painted white. It's amazing how much cooler it is during the summer than it might otherwise be, I'm sure it has to do with the colour of the building. The fact that many of our buildings are dark bricks and dark grey roofs probably doesn't help at all.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
23 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

Previous record didn’t even last a week and this new record may not last 24 hours

Quoting myself here but I suspected yesterday’s record wouldn’t last 24 hours. I was right - Armagh this time with 31.4 degrees ☀️

• Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

Quoting myself here but I suspected yesterday’s record wouldn’t last 24 hours. I was right - Armagh this time with 31.4 degrees ☀️

I just wish it wasn't so muggy along with the heat.  Got up to 31.3c round where I live.  I will welcome the end of this with open arms!

Edited by Ryukai
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
10 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

I just wish it wasn't so muggy along with the heat.  Got up to 31.3c round where I live.  I will welcome the end of this with open arms!

Yeah but don't want it to go from one extreme to the other! my location looks a washout from Saturday and probably too cold

• Like 2

Posted

thermometer peaked at 31c , 

today was another day of purgatory at work  in this stifling heat   , not convinced tomorrow will feel any better , forecast is for only 26c but I think thats another underestimation as they have been all week ,  saturday will be the main cooling ,  If we dont get any thunder after enduring this draining heat I will be livid ,       

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Nick L said:

Part of our office is a converted pub, an old building that is painted white. It's amazing how much cooler it is during the summer than it might otherwise be, I'm sure it has to do with the colour of the building. The fact that many of our buildings are dark bricks and dark grey roofs probably doesn't help at all.

Interesting thought. I grew up in a white pebble dashed home and I never noticed that. To be fair it did start to turn green/grey with the Scottish rain  

When I used to live in a typical Scottish tenement flat with 2 feet thick stone walls it was always cool in summer.  On a hot day it was a real pleasure to get home.

However, it was much colder in winter as well, not helped by 12 feet high ceilings which, with hot air rising, meant that the first  third of your heating was wasted (unless you were REALLY tall)

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

True that.  Some people suggest air con - but where would we put it when we're already very overcrowded in here? Another thing about flats under 40 sqm is they are not equipped to deal with the drying of washing if there is no open access communal garden or balcony. This is turn affects air quality inside the flat making it too hot if you have a tumble dryer or damp and mouldy if you dry indoors in the winter or too dry if you have a dehumid on laundry setting which gives us a sore throat. But boil some pasta on a cold night at humidity will shoot up to 85 and the growing mould makes the flat smell like mushroom soup because our landlord does not believe in extractors. I am constantly juggling the air temps and humidity, not just because of the weather but also the washing and cooking too. I used to envy apartments in US sitcoms that had a laundrette in the basement. 

Sometimes, I dry my washing by hanging it in the polytunnel at the allotment!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
3 minutes ago, Team Squirrel said:

Sometimes, I dry my washing by hanging it in the polytunnel at the allotment!

That's actually a really good idea

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Managed a somewhat sluggish 8km just before 10am - came home quite red-faced, but happily cycled for miles in Kent at the weekend - bike helmet and plenty water kept me reasonably cool - loved being outside in the sun - going to miss it next week if the forecasts are right.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

So thankful this vile heat will soon be gone, been a very tough week for working in, REALLY looking forward to the cool down as is everybody i've spoken to!

• Like 5

Posted

Just got out the paddling pool and now I'm cold lol!! The wind has picked up ... Breeze ... But it says it's 27c.