Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

7 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Yes, exactly.  Was watching Gavin Partridges update earlier and yes, the 2 week outlook is indeed very poor generally but you always get a lot of scatter at this range anyway, and then still 4 weeks of summer after that which is in my view absolutely up for grabs.  (Ie no one knows)  Yes it could be poor, but equally we may get another heatwave, or hopefully a cracking plume event..

I know zero about weather, but I know I've seen many a time on the BBC that they don't see another heatwave on the horizon. Only for there to be another heatwave within 10 days!. So by my guess, anything beyond 10 days is guesswork. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
9 minutes ago, Bigdaddydave51 said:

I know zero about weather, but I know I've seen many a time on the BBC that they don't see another heatwave on the horizon. Only for there to be another heatwave within 10 days!. So by my guess, anything beyond 10 days is guesswork. 

Yes this particular heatwave seems to have sprung out of nowhere.

Welcome to the forum BTW!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
16 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I still think a widespread thunderstorm will happen sometime in the third week of august. Similar to the 1987 storms that swept the majority of England and Wales on Friday and Saturday august 21-22nd 1987. 

Would have loved to experience that particular event.  Was too young to remember it.  I know it gets talked about in historical context when plumes/storms are mentioned.  Must have been both countrywide and epic

Posted
1 hour ago, Vestan said:

I would be much happier next week with low to mid 20s as long as it stays dry most days. The charts seem to show this is a possibility. No one can really enjoy this 30C, high humidity in the UK surely?

There’s dozens of us!

• Like 1

Posted

seen the weather  warnings  for sunday  100 mm of rain forcast in places  could  we  get what germany got the other day in  places

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

This evening is absolutely perfect. Mid-20s, it feels fresher, the house hasn't baked with it being a bit cooler. No need for 30+.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

After two-days' in and out of polytunnels, I slept for 11 hours' straight, last night. I can't wait for next week's major cool-down!

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Really enjoying the hot weather this week, much better than the blandness we get 95% of the year! Although I have AC and so sleeping isn't so bad..

We should expect more high temps in future and so a portable AC unit isn't a bad investment for those struggling 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I think another factor that helps with sleeping is the breeze. The last few nights have not only been hot and humid, but it's been stagnant, so even with windows open there's nothing to flush out the build up of heat during the day. There's a slight breeze this evening, and will be more of a breeze going through the weekend to help force through the cooler evening air. The worst is behind us now.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I think another factor that helps with sleeping is the breeze. The last few nights have not only been hot and humid, but it's been stagnant, so even with windows open there's nothing to flush out the build up of heat during the day. There's a slight breeze this evening, and will be more of a breeze going through the weekend to help force through the cooler evening air. The worst is behind us now.

Yeah for the S and SE. Raw temps are suggestive of 31C here tomorrow, my room is like a sauna and there's not a breath of wind.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Much warmer than this time yesterday, last night was fresher with NW'ly breeze with those E Midlands storms, NW facing window let the air in

tonight no air at all, if a very light SE'ly, useless for a NW facing window

• Like 1

Posted

Belfast at 30c again today and n Ireland temp record gone again within 4 days .

Make no mistake,- in the context of n Ireland this is an epic heatwave.

New temp high could  be exceeded yet again tomorrow

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
2 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Yes looks like a pretty significant spell for both NI and the ROI.. does anyone know what the temperature has reached in the ROI during this spell?

Today had the warmest temperature of the current spell (so far  anyway, possibly could beat it tomorrow) recorded in the republic ,30.8c at Mount Dillon County Roscommon. 

Highest temperature ever recorded in the republic was 33.3c in County Kilkenny June 26th 1887.

Highest July temperature in the republic was 32.3c on July 19th 2006 in County Roscommon. 

Edited by sundog
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

With regards to humidity it’s worth saying that July onwards does tend to generate high values. While they were low in 2013, 2006 and early 2018 it is a month that tends to have notably more humid hot spells than June.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Gav. said:

Belfast at 30c again today and n Ireland temp record gone again within 4 days .

Make no mistake,- in the context of n Ireland this is an epic heatwave.

New temp high could  be exceeded yet again tomorrow

Equivalent of the record cold in Dec 2010. High positioned same place..

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, DCee said:

I'm calling the end of the summer after this warm spell ends at the weekend. End of July looks awful and the pattern will likely remain for a further three to four weeks typically, if not longer. September will be our best bet for calmer weather. August looks like a write off.

I was thinking similar but we might get a surprise I guess. Otherwise it's a 1 week summer for Southern UK!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, Nick L said:

Wish it was like that where I am  still 20C here at midnight with no wind what so ever, Feels like I'm working in front of the oven's at Morrisons again but without the ability to move away from them. /urgh...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes
9 minutes ago, Ryukai said:

Wish it was like that where I am  still 20C here at midnight with no wind what so ever, Feels like I'm working in front of the oven's at Morrisons again but without the ability to move away from them. /urgh...

Yeah it ain’t nice at all tonight

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Pretty lucky here. RH has been in the 30's and 40's during the highest temps. Temp minima's have been in the 13's 14's and 15's.

My room has been 28 - 30° but still slept under a duvet lol

Tonight there's a bit of a breeze, room temp has dropped to 26.3°C

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The latest hack to stay cool is to half-fill a hot water bottle and freeze it. Apparently it’s excellent at keeping the bed cool for much of the night, might be worth a go, though don’t use that bottle for hot water again.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

2021 244 (up to 20th July)

• Thanks 2

Posted
9 hours ago, Ed Stone said:

After two-days' in and out of polytunnels, I slept for 11 hours' straight, last night. I can't wait for next week's major cool-down!

I got around 9 hours sleep last night when in and out of polytunnels too, I think I had a touch of heat exhaustion as I had a bout of diarrhoea when I got home, and I felt dreadful, I went to bed at 8.45pm.

More of the same work today, although I feel slightly better than yesterday morning, I shall be glad when it drops down in to the low 20s again, that means it'll only be around 90'f in the polytunnels, instead of 130'f

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

It's been a cracking spell of weather. Whilst it's not my favorite thing in the world, it's still nice to see most people enjoying it. Hopefully the coming storms are not too disruptive.

Been debating with myself about getting whole house ventilation fitted to the upstairs landing ceiling and roof to help draw out the heat.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I must admit, I am finding this current spell of hot weather to be getting a bit much now. I generally don't mind hot weather (particularly when they produce thunderstorms), but this spell feels particularly oppressive. I agree with what others are saying about the hot weather during summer 2018 feeling more comfortable than this hot spell. From what I can remember, 2013 too.

I am looking forward to tomorrow when the forecast temp is 25 Celsius and early 20s thereafter.

Must remember to get myself a portable AC for next year onwards.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1