Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
11 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

We haven’t reached 35c yet, which is something that’s happened every summer since 2015, despite whether the summer is a good one or not. 

35c for one day, surrounded by weeks of drab dull and cool weather doesn’t make for a good summer at all. 2015 was like that.

We haven't had a proper plume event, with the necessary uppers. What interests me, is that it seems almost any high pressure event, regardless of the starting uppers, lasting 2 or 3 days, with unbroken sunshine, now sends us automatically into the high 20s, low 30s. I'm sure this was not always the case. We don't seem to get the 25-28 spells that we used to see, outside of spring and autumn. 

Edited by davehsug
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Been a nice few warm sunny days here, nothing more than 26c which is fine by me. Hopefully the weekend cool off can deliver the fabled 'thunderstorm' for my area, or shall I just keep dreaming? 

• Like 1

Posted

Last three days have registered  over 30 degrees at Credenhill, then 28 and a 26 before that. Another 2 days of 30 degree temps forecast here. Local weather station tops out at 32 degrees, in Hereford city not 4.5 miles out at Credenhill.  Plenty warm enough for these parts. I guess people from the south east are used to these temps? I have struggled especially Sunday when I seemed to feel rough and could not get cool at all. Either that or I am getting old!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine. And storms
22 minutes ago, Freeze said:

Been a nice few warm sunny days here, nothing more than 26c which is fine by me. Hopefully the weekend cool off can deliver the fabled 'thunderstorm' for my area, or shall I just keep dreaming? 

The way things are going storm-wise  in the east east, I'll be looking forward to a massive snow event just for some sort of interesting weather.....

Posted

Most boring year convection-wise I've ever seen in these parts and it's been slim pickings since 2007.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Most boring year convection-wise I've ever seen in these parts and it's been slim pickings since 2007.

Yup we had one rumble of thunder last week. Not a proper storm in 3 or 4 years now. 

Posted
1 hour ago, davehsug said:

We haven't had a proper plume event, with the necessary uppers. What interests me, is that it seems almost any high pressure event, regardless of the starting uppers, lasting 2 or 3 days, with unbroken sunshine, now sends us automatically into the high 20s, low 30s. I'm sure this was not always the case. We don't seem to get the 25-28 spells that we used to see, outside of spring and autumn. 

I agree, I've been thinking about this for a while too. Its yet more evidence that temperatures are trending upward; I also wouldn't be surprised if that 20c UK Feb figure will become more common over the coming years. ☹️

Posted

Why is the North Midlands a magnet for sea mist, so much so that to our East where the actual coast is there isn't any sea mist but it's somehow over a landlocked region.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
1 hour ago, Norfolk Sheep said:

The way things are going storm-wise  in the east east, I'll be looking forward to a massive snow event just for some sort of interesting weather.....

I'm almost certain we wont see a storm this year, or if we do it'll be some time in november or December when it doesn't feel right being cold. SNOW?!? Ive heard kids around here saying they don't even believe snow exists! Something you only see on tv lol.

• Like 1

Posted

went home briefly at lunchtime and sat in the garden with my feet in a cold bucket of water. Felt wonderful.

Hoping for something convective this afternoon though the risk is marginal.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Here in Leeds we were forecast to hit 28C by 16.00 however actually thanks to cloud only now breaking we’ve been stuck around 20C.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Cloud starting to bubble up here again. The ingredients are there for powerful storms again, but atmosphere more capped than the fireworks of yesterday. Couple of convergence zones could give a few isolated torrential storms though. Managed to hit 28c again though, so the heatwave rolls on a bit longer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
16 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

Yes some areas may see some large totals of rainfall while others get a mere sprinkling! That's nearly always the way it works. Personally I think those totals are a little over the top! And I can't see why many people would sit up and take to much notice...just like many fail to take notice of there extended outlooks when they are talking about conditions improving. I think the South may bare the brunt of this...but its a far cry from the situation that hit parts of Europe last week.

I don't think so at all.. the hi-res models are showing some very high totals during the 48 hours of the weekend.

Much like Monday last week, 75mm fell in 5 hours here. Significant flooding across many parts of Dorset, Hampshire etc.

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Azazel said:

Thunder is snow. Snow is thunder. By winter by summer. By summer by winter.

Ok well that was the most nonsensical post ever but you get my drift ...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !
12 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I don't think so at all.. the hi-res models are showing some very high totals during the 48 hours of the weekend.

Much like Monday last week, 75mm fell in 5 hours here. Significant flooding across many parts of Dorset, Hampshire etc.

Agree -I think it’s important people do take on board the warnings especially if you have out door things planned / live In Flood prone areas or like my self halfway through a big domestic build and will want to take precautions re water pooling etc ! I know who I would listen to in these situations !!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

What a lifesaver my trusty fan is turning out to be. I didn't think to get one until last year. 

• Like 2

Posted

A much more pleasant 24C in Leeds at the moment (14:56), and not particularly humid. It really doesn't need to be any hotter - we can all enjoy this.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
17 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

You've got a point mate..im still hopeful of things improving after that 10 day period...but I'm also concerned how we quickly drop into periods of unsettled conditions for 3 weeks at a time once it gets going. I hope that's not the case this time,but we did see a period like that before this current Hot spell started...away from the North anyway! But I will take a fine 2nd half of August if it means being crud for a couple of weeks..Hopefully some better output will begin to appear come the Weekend my man.

It’s a shame this seems to be the way these days. Given this last week has fine a long way to balance out the largely naff first 11 days, we’ll be back to looking for another equivalent spell to balance out another prolonged naff spell.

I’m personally hoping for at least an August 2005 or 2016, which both followed a less settled end to July and delivered good weather a lot of the time.

A little less northern blocking and receding high pressure to the SW would be nice to see in future runs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snowy November to March and Sunny and warm April to October
22 minutes ago, MATTWOLVES said:

You've got a point mate..im still hopeful of things improving after that 10 day period...but I'm also concerned how we quickly drop into periods of unsettled conditions for 3 weeks at a time once it gets going. I hope that's not the case this time,but we did see a period like that before this current Hot spell started...away from the North anyway! But I will take a fine 2nd half of August if it means being crud for a couple of weeks..Hopefully some better output will begin to appear come the Weekend my man.

Ive learnt from looking back over the same dates of the past years that it usually evens out a lot of the time for instance July was crap last year and look what we have atm. Early August was roasting hot for 2 weeks down here it was much hotter than what we currently have 37c-38c was achieved on one day. So im fully expecting a washout early August-  But as the second half of August was a washout last year perhaps thats where the drier/more settled conditions lie this year?

We do seem to go from one extreme one year to it being the exact opposite the following year for the same timeframe ive noticed.  Aside from that theory, Im not surprised were re-entering a -NAO and  -AO its the theme of 2021 lets hope it continues im the winter.

Edited by Kentspur
  • Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
15 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

A much more pleasant 24C in Leeds at the moment (14:56), and not particularly humid. It really doesn't need to be any hotter - we can all enjoy this.

oh yes, far better. Much more liveable with! Roll on the weekend breakdown!

• Like 2

Posted

Beautiful day but was hot walking around. ☀️30C in Dartmoor. The best spell of 2021 so far. 
I find the ‘extreme heat warning’ excessive. This heatwave is tame compared to what we had in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 hours ago, davehsug said:

In high summer certainly, but June’s sunny period was very much in the 25-28 area. 28 was my maximum in fact.

Last summer was certainly a perfect example though of mediocre punctuated by periods of 30+ heat.

July 2019 is probably the last summertime spell of moderate heat, before the actual heatwave in the third week.

Posted
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL
  • Weather Preferences: Cold weather - frost or snow
  • Location: Ashbourne,County Meath,about 6 miles northwest of dublin airport. 74m ASL

I belive northern Ireland may have broken its warmest temp record today. A provisional temp of 31.3c at Castlederg, beating the previous record set on Saturday by 0.1c

• Like 2