Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

EDIT: Distracted by my Mother, and posted to the wrong thread

Edited by Ryukai

Posted

This hot spell seems much more humid than other UK high pressure hot spells we've had in recent years. Is it the wet ground from all the rain we had mid June onwards now drying out? Normally high temperature humidity like this only really occurs with short lived plumes.

Edited by audiotech
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or dry, warm and breezy.

I see, looking ahead on the Met Office forecast, that even when daytime temperatures moderate nightime minima are still high (e.g. 15c in mid Sussex). Anyone know why that would be?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, Stav said:

I see, looking ahead on the Met Office forecast, that even when daytime temperatures moderate nightime minima are still high (e.g. 15c in mid Sussex). Anyone know why that would be?

It's still a warm, moist air mass. Even this weekend dew points are well into the teens. Plus there will be a lot of cloud at night. So while days will be much more tolerable, nights will still be fairly muggy.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, Stav said:

At the moment the air is very warm and still - nights are still very short, the ground is warm, and temperatures don't drop away much. Even into the weekend, the air is coming up from the south and is quite warm and humid - which will also hold temperatures up.

• Thanks 1

Just in case anyone thinks I think hot weather because i can spend large parts of the day sat in an air conditioned office. These are the current conditions in my lounge. But it’s absolutely fine ??

D9B3B441-FCA7-40D2-BB62-99D58D62F02F.thumb.jpeg.f8c151e380f41c6f4a2053a205f40ffa.jpeg

Edited by Alderc

Posted

1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

At the moment the air is very warm and still - nights are still very short, the ground is warm, and temperatures don't drop away much. Even into the weekend, the air is coming up from the south and is quite warm and humid - which will also hold temperatures up.

Looks like it will be a while before we can enjoy some more comfortable nights........

• Like 2

Posted
11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just in case anyone thinks I think hot weather because i can spend large parts of the day sat in an air conditioned office. These are the current conditions in my lounge. But it’s absolutely fine ??

D9B3B441-FCA7-40D2-BB62-99D58D62F02F.thumb.jpeg.f8c151e380f41c6f4a2053a205f40ffa.jpeg

I want that funky device!! Send me a link! Got my curtains closed and doors and it's a respectable 26c lol

Posted
4 minutes ago, Don said:

Looks like it will be a while before we can enjoy some more comfortable nights........

Yes. At first I assumed the nights of this spell would be relatively low as with most high pressure based heatwaves opposed to southerly plumes. But nights have been quite oppressive here. I don't mind the warm days but if the nights are warm then it's an issue. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

I want that funky device!! Send me a link! Got my curtains closed and doors and it's a respectable 26c lol

all-meters-banner.jpg?v=1556909531
GB-KESTRELMETERS.GLOPALSTORE.COM

Hand held wind and weather trackers from Kestrel Meters. Shop online from the entire line of Kestrel weather instruments. Free, Same-Day Shipping.

Posted
5 minutes ago, Alderc said:
all-meters-banner.jpg?v=1556909531
GB-KESTRELMETERS.GLOPALSTORE.COM

Hand held wind and weather trackers from Kestrel Meters. Shop online from the entire line of Kestrel weather instruments. Free, Same-Day Shipping.

You got bluetooth and vain? These are neat! god knows how I never knew they even existed!

4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

You got bluetooth and vain? These are neat! god knows how I never knew they even existed!

No I just have the handheld, it’s more for general mobility. I have my Davis Vantage Pro proper recording etc.

But the kestrel is absolutely brilliant. 

Posted
2 hours ago, Frigid said:

Yes. At first I assumed the nights of this spell would be relatively low as with most high pressure based heatwaves opposed to southerly plumes. But nights have been quite oppressive here. I don't mind the warm days but if the nights are warm then it's an issue. 

Ditto!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
5 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Err……isn’t this the moans thread?   Many sincere apologies if I posted in the wrong thread  Guilt tripping nobody and you won’t find me doing it in winter either when people look for freezing temperatures - each to their own.  Have to say, however,  I have browsed this site daily for a few years now reading the model thread to see what the weather is likely to be doing going forward and can’t honestly recall people wishing sub zero temps half as frequently as people looking for mega high temperatures.  As it has been said many times everyone has weather preferences and there is no problem in that whatsoever.  I also get it is a weather site and as such people are legitimately interested in extremes.   I am merely pointing out high temperatures (as will sub zero temperatures in winter) will (and currently are) causing people health issues and as far as I see there is nothing whatsoever wrong in having sympathy for them having to cope…..there are people who have to work very hard in these rising temperatures and I feel for them.  

You’re joking, surely?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold!

Too darn hot!

Hello, been a lurker for a while/years ( I'm shy)! But I feel the need to say how unbearable the heat is!

I'm in an attic flat. It's 35C in here. I don't have a garden and am not near the sea. Can't get down my stairs at the moment due to vertigo. But, I have decent binoculars and will inform you of any murders, from my rear window! Can't wait for cooler weather!

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cool, cold, snow and blizzards.

If I never see the phrase "plenty of sunshine" in a weather forecast it'll be too soon.  Roll on Autumn.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I missed the storms today... I guess that even in Lincoln you can't win them all, as they say!

Posted

How great to be able to comfortably chill out in the garden with a beer at 7pm. The UK briefly joins the civilised world where you can actually be outside at the height of summer instead of our usual company of Svalbard and Iceland regarding useable weather.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Another tough day for working in, everybody was shattered, clients, customers, del drivers, ....counting the days down to relief at the weekend. Most of us haven't a beach to lie on mid afternoon enjoying the hot sand, most have to come home in hot cars and roasting public transport to houses over 30c then try and sleep. 

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
10 minutes ago, markyo said:

Another tough day for working in, everybody was shattered, clients, customers, del drivers, ....counting the days down to relief at the weekend. Most of us haven't a beach to lie on mid afternoon enjoying the hot sand, most have to come home in hot cars and roasting public transport to houses over 30c then try and sleep. 

Aye, Mark -- it was pretty awful, in the polytunnel, today; sweat was running off my face!

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 5

Posted

Just wondering if others think the same synoptics as now in the heart of winter, 3rd week Jan would bring a classic freezing spell. The homegrown dry frosty one.. with days struggling to get above freezing. I think it would!

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

Just wondering if others think the same synoptics as now in the heart of winter, 3rd week Jan would bring a classic freezing spell. The homegrown dry frosty one.. with days struggling to get above freezing. I think it would!

Yes I think UK highs are perfect in both winter and summer.