Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

The classic prolonged memorable spells are nearly always dry air masses. 2018 and the spell in mid July 2006 are prime examples, although 2006 did become more thundery later on.

August 2003 is another- generally low relative humidity and I believe June/July1976 was also low humidity.

People have a perception that it's humid because of our well insulated buildings and lack of air conditioning. 

Hot, humid spells are usually more shortlived in this part of the world.

2006 was especially notable because on the day the July record went I remember people posting here that the dew point was only 8C. July 13 also had humidity in the 35-39% range quite often which did not feel oppressive (this one seems to be close to 50% but there’s zero wind too making it worse).

Here in Leeds the wind is forecast to back from the East from tomorrow evening so while still very hot on Wednesday and Thursday I’m hoping it may feel less oppressive.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

The classic prolonged memorable spells are nearly always dry air masses. 2018 and the spell in mid July 2006 are prime examples, although 2006 did become more thundery later on.

August 2003 is another- generally low relative humidity and I believe June/July1976 was also low humidity.

People have a perception that it's humid because of our well insulated buildings and lack of air conditioning. 

Hot, humid spells are usually more shortlived in this part of the world.

I distinctly remember August 2003 being a humid steamy one. Arrived back from a holiday on the 04th and found it very oppressive. The sky was also a slightly milkier shade of blue compared to the other mentioned heatwaves.

There was another hot spell in September 2003 which was much less humid.

Posted

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

2021 237 (up to 18th July)

Bit of convection yesterday

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Will be in the mid to high 50'c at work today, so I personally am not enjoying this spell.

Also, looking after disabled people who cannot understand that if they are too hot, going and sitting in the glasshouses or polytunnels, is not going to cool them down lol.

I think we're going to have to do board games today, rather than horticulture.

My perfect summer weather is around 21'c to 22'c with a breeze and scattered cloud, but I suppose each to their own :-)

• Like 6

Posted

20C (28C in the house) with DP at 18C and 93% humidity.  Feeling like a sweatbox already and it's not even 9am yet.  

• Like 1

Posted

For those of us who don't like the heat, not long to go now before a bit of a cool down - bring it on! 
Quite happy for dry and sunny weather, but 22C would be perfect!

• Like 5

Contender for hottest day of the year today. I don’t often use the term humid but I currently have 25.8C with a 21C DP. Feel like being on holiday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

It was dry sunny and 22c most of the afternoon here

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms

21c with 84% humidity gives us a dewpoint of 18.2c here... Bit moist!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
2 hours ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Will be in the mid to high 50'c at work today, so I personally am not enjoying this spell.

Also, looking after disabled people who cannot understand that if they are too hot, going and sitting in the glasshouses or polytunnels, is not going to cool them down lol.

I think we're going to have to do board games today, rather than horticulture.

My perfect summer weather is around 21'c to 22'c with a breeze and scattered cloud, but I suppose each to their own

Very difficult for you at the moment I can bet with the current weather conditions.  My mum is 89 in a couple of weeks so I do worry about her in the heat, fortunately she is very sensible.  My elderly neighbour was taken off to hospital Sunday with suspected heart issues.  Turns out he was very dehydrated and exhausted but otherwise okay so seems it was put down to heat exhaustion.   Never understand the need for wishing 30 degrees plus on people when it is the vulnerable in society who are likely to suffer with the extreme heat, as you say a nice dry 21 or 22 degrees is pleasant enough for all to enjoy.

• Like 3

Just walked outside and I don’t think I can remember just an absolute flat calm. There not a breath of wind, not a single leaf on a tree moving. 

Im up 27.8C still with a 20C DP. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
9 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just walked outside and I don’t think I can remember just an absolute flat calm. There not a breath of wind, not a single leaf on a tree moving. 

Im up 27.8C still with a 20C DP. 

It's certainly very still - one of the factors that is helping push these very high temps without needing the usual S/SE feed here in the UK. The air is just stagnant and heating day after day. Home grown heat.

4 more days until we descend back into the mire, so enjoy it (if hot weather is your cup of tea of course). If not, feel free to moan about it 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Too hot. Glad I'm at work with the A/C.

• Like 2

Posted
9 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It's certainly very still - one of the factors that is helping push these very high temps without needing the usual S/SE feed here in the UK. The air is just stagnant and heating day after day. Home grown heat.

4 more days until we descend back into the mire, so enjoy it (if hot weather is your cup of tea of course). If not, feel free to moan about it 

If I had my preferred weather of cold unusable miserable rubbish for 385 of the last 400 days, I couldn't bring myself to moan about the 15 days I didn't because it would be absolutely shameless and selfish to do so. But that's just me...

Posted
56 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

Never understand the need for wishing 30 degrees plus on people when it is the vulnerable in society who are likely to suffer with the extreme heat, as you say a nice dry 21 or 22 degrees is pleasant enough for all to enjoy.

11-12 degrees in winter is pleasant enough for all to enjoy but it doesn't stop people (understandably) wishing for freezing temps and snow. I'm also pretty sure the vulnerable and those on the poverty line struggle to stay warm when we have a deep, cold snap.

I'll never understand the need for people complaining about other people's weather preferences...on a weather forum.

• Like 5

Posted
4 minutes ago, Azazel said:

11-12 degrees in winter is pleasant enough for all to enjoy but it doesn't stop people (understandably) wishing for freezing temps and snow. I'm also pretty sure the vulnerable and those on the poverty line struggle to stay warm when we have a deep, cold snap.

I'll never understand the need for people complaining about other people's weather preferences...on a weather forum.

Yep, I hate this heat but I hate the guilt tripping more! Every weather bothers someone in some sense. Wishing for or against it makes no bloody difference.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Yep, I hate this heat but I hate the guilt tripping more! Every weather bothers someone in some sense. Wishing for or against it makes no bloody difference.

Was just about to write the same about the guilt tripping! 

Posted

Meanwhile, 27.8C here in Wendover, 1.1C ahead of where we were yesterday.

Posted
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Likewise, I'm not a huge fan of snow and cold (though I still get a weird, childlike giddy feeling when it snows) but I know other people adore it and I say good for them and I hope they enjoy it. You won't catch me in here guilt tripping people all Winter long.

I know this heat is a struggle for a lot of people (even I find it tough at work etc) so I do sympathise. It'll be over fairly shortly though.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
14 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Err……isn’t this the moans thread?   Many sincere apologies if I posted in the wrong thread  Guilt tripping nobody and you won’t find me doing it in winter either when people look for freezing temperatures - each to their own.  Have to say, however,  I have browsed this site daily for a few years now reading the model thread to see what the weather is likely to be doing going forward and can’t honestly recall people wishing sub zero temps half as frequently as people looking for mega high temperatures.  As it has been said many times everyone has weather preferences and there is no problem in that whatsoever.  I also get it is a weather site and as such people are legitimately interested in extremes.   I am merely pointing out high temperatures (as will sub zero temperatures in winter) will (and currently are) causing people health issues and as far as I see there is nothing whatsoever wrong in having sympathy for them having to cope…..there are people who have to work very hard in these rising temperatures and I feel for them.  

• Like 4

Posted
1 minute ago, Snowycat said:

Have to say, however,  I have browsed this site daily for a few years now reading the model thread to see what the weather is likely to be doing going forward and can’t honestly recall people wishing sub zero temps half as frequently as people looking for mega high temperatures. 

You and I must be reading completely different forums.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
20 minutes ago, Azazel said:

You and I must be reading completely different forums.

Yeah. This is 100% a winter lovers forum - as are all other ones on the net really. This place is miles busier in winter than summer. Don't know the exact stats, but you've got hundreds of people on here ramping and chasing snow in the winter, and only a handful really looking for summer heat. Just look how many posts go in the model output threads in winter (especially if actual cold weather is imminent) compared to what you get on here when say 35c is forecast. It's not even close.

• Like 1

First hints of a breeze picking up here. Couple of AWS’s on the coast showing a 3 or 4 mph breeze and drop in temp. 

No breeze here and temp 30.8C…