Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
13 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

A notification just popped up on my phone about the warning so just checked it out.

image.thumb.png.89252aeef6b9e8464321eb7430884480.pngimage.thumb.png.5c4003a4f42b2d33cd53e4e1e45ed486.png 

I understand the separate heat health watches we normally see, but people from abroad must laugh when they see an "Extreme heat" warning for temps of 27C (my local forecast). It's slightly hotter further inland, but even then its not that "Extreme". Also is Land's End really going to see extreme heat?

I think the heat health warnings assess impacts on  the health sector,whereas the extreme heat warning seems to assess a greater range of impacts such as more people being at the coast. Such warnings allow local authorities to put contingencies in place officially. 

I think getting people caught up in the term extreme can be deceiving. I'm sat here in Cornwall 5 miles from the North Coast at 5pm with it feeling distinctly Mediterranean.. I don't recall that happening too often. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

But it's not going to be much hotter than yesterday, if at all. 

Indeed. I can only assume it's the protracted nature of it. The temperatures themselves, while notable, aren't wholly unusual vis a vis every other summer. If we were looking at a run of days above 33-34C, I'd understand a bit more.

• Like 1

Posted

The extreme heat warning thing is a bit OTT. Last August, many parts of the country endured days of 35c+ with nights not falling below 20. I’d classify that as extreme heat. What we’re going through now is just a regular heatwave. Days at around 27-30 with nights at 16-20. This heatwave has a similar feel to July 2018, though that was much more prolonged. 

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
5 minutes ago, Frigid said:

The extreme heat warning thing is a bit OTT. Last August, many parts of the country endured days of 35c+ with nights not falling below 20. I’d classify that as extreme heat. What we’re going through now is just a regular heatwave. Days at around 27-30 with nights at 16-20. This heatwave has a similar feel to July 2018, though that was much more prolonged. 

I agree, and I can't believe how many people seem to have forgotten about last August's period already; it was truly exceptional!

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Lovely here. 29c. Sunny. In pub beer garden. Great not to feel any chill on arms and legs. If only it would carry on till the end of August.....

I think we will still get another hot spell before late august, with the overnight storms thrown in.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Don't forget, this new neat warning system has only been in place since June. Last August would have just had the standard health warnings.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Don't forget, this new neat warning system has only been in place since June. Last August would have just had the standard health warnings.

Not sure why we need the heat health watch thing continuing in conjunction with it. Don't they both serve the same purpose?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
7 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Not sure why we need the heat health watch thing continuing in conjunction with it. Don't they both serve the same purpose?

Yeah, I agree.

Maybe they'll retire the other one? If I am honest, I completely forget about it until somebody posts that a heat health warning has been issued. So I guess that it makes sense to use their warning system so that it pushes notifications to people's mobile devices.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
56 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Last August was SE only and there were heat health alerts in force for the SE. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

As others have said, amazing to see such a prolonged hot and humid spell in this country. So often the more prolonged spells in this country have lower relative humidity- but this spell feels properly Mediterranean with temps in the high 20s and humidity above 50% in the afternoons. 

Also these spells seem  to be often quite hazy- visibility and air quality seems unusually good for a UK hot spell. The sun also feels stronger as a consequence.

I always think it is the other way around, really hot spells here are nearly always humid, whereas the heat in the Med feels much drier. Got to say though, it was very clear yesterday, - we could see France from the Kent coast!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heavy disruptive snowfall.

Why have the met office issued an 'Extreme' heat warning for 33c when ive known them not issue any warning at all for higher.

Posted
47 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Heat Health Warning a joint venture with Public Health England. 

Depending on level issued health bodies including NHS trusts are legally bound to enact certain protocols around management of resources. It is about the effects on health of heat (similar to the cold weather alert on the effects of cold) 

The extreme heat however encompasses far greater risks such as infrastructure etc and so will be used by rail authorities, local councils. 

WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Posted
6 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

I always think it is the other way around, really hot spells here are nearly always humid, whereas the heat in the Med feels much drier. Got to say though, it was very clear yesterday, - we could see France from the Kent coast!

Agreed. Dry heat in this country is very difficult to obtain. Our hot spells are almost always accompanied by dew points well into the teens at the very least.

Edited by Nick L
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, feb1991blizzard said:

Why have the met office issued an 'Extreme' heat warning for 33c when ive known them not issue any warning at all for higher.

Only started in June 2021

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

Gosh it's hot! I'm not one to perspire much, buy my forehead is dripping!!!  I love the heat but it always seems to go one step too far in the UK!

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Last August was SE only and there were heat health alerts in force for the SE. 

Not really, Gloucester recorded 35C, Bournemouth had its hottest day for 15yrs etc. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

What was so exceptional about last August was that the hot weather came at once, whereas heatwaves usually build up over the course of a couple of days before reaching their peak and start to cool down thereafter. 30+ celsius days were also widespread which commonly doesn't happen in this country, and there were also a few thunderstorms here and there in many locations. I really enjoyed last August for how erratic it was. It made a refreshing change as I often find it to be the most boring of the summer months.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: if its warm i want sun..if its cold i want snow.

wow..staverton/gloucestershire airport is still 30c 86f at the latest 7pm readings. 

Posted

Certainly feels oppressive this evening. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Gorgeous afternoon, just got back from the beach. 30.8C at home with a 19C DP. Would take just 10 weeks of this and would never moan about the other 42weeks of the year! 

Don't forget over 95% of the population have no access to a beach hence the dislike of this weather, you are very very fortunate.

• Like 5

Posted

Currently 26c in a Campsite just outside Bodmin 

Not a breath of wind... Unreal 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
50 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Very much depends on proximity to the coast. Heat always feels more humid near the coast down there and less so inland, but the trade off is sea breezes can help temper the humid feel.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
17 minutes ago, markyo said:

Don't forget over 95% of the population have no access to a beach hence the dislike of this weather, you are very very fortunate.

Sadly I have no easy access to a beach but still love this weather, long to be nearer the sea,particularly days like these