Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers

Fourth consecutive warm and very sunny day. Best spell of July weather in Ireland since 2013. The weekend just gone was the best weekend I've personally seen. Unbroken sunshine from Friday morning to Sunday evening, and today so far too. Saturday felt tropical with lack of a sea breeze to moderate the warm temps. Usually I'm very exposed to sea breezes during warm spells unless it's a southwesterly which are normally too cloudy anyway to get the most out of so 27C on Saturday was pretty notable and it was still 25C by 8 p.m. I have not known a day where it was so consistently this warm throughout it here.

Will remember the summer of 2021 very fondly for this spell alone. June wasn't amazing but a good month with a lot of usable weather and fine days. First week or so of July was quite poor but this spell or heatwave right now is something special. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, Badgers01 said:

I think the high dew points are making most people feel a bit lethargic and irritable it will be long hot week if we keep the humidity

Just been working in Blackpool, Manchester and near to Leeds today, every single person i met on 3 separate sites was moaning about the heat, very irritable some! Not one liked it, it certainly is the humidity, One was even moaning in a air conned office!

• Like 1

Gorgeous afternoon, just got back from the beach. 30.8C at home with a 19C DP. Would take just 10 weeks of this and would never moan about the other 42weeks of the year! 

3 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The Met Office will issue its first ever extreme heat warning today

Is this something new? It’s warm but clearly nowhere near as a warm as parts of last August? 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
2 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

The Met Office will issue its first ever extreme heat warning today

Never heard of this system before, must be completely different to the levels they use to do 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
11 minutes ago, Frigid said:

Funny how the Liverpool Airport station has been removed from XCWeather. It’s currently reading 38c...

It’s showing 34c on the netweather top 20….every other max station is between 30-31c. Think they need to buy a new one

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

An extreme heat warning will be issued for South Wales, West Midlands, southwest England and into Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. It will be in place until Thursday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Sunny Summers/Cold Wintry Winters
3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

It’s showing 34c on the netweather top 20….every other max station is between 30-31c. Think they need to buy a new one

Yeah definitely wrong the warmest around here is Hawarden at 28c then some other stations like Crosby and Rostherne are showing 26/27c . So I put that at about six degrees off don't see anything wrong there 

Edited by Summerstorm

Posted
30 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Gorgeous afternoon, just got back from the beach. 30.8C at home with a 19C DP. Would take just 10 weeks of this and would never moan about the other 42weeks of the year! 

It feels like someone answered our prayers to give us some proper warmth and sunny weather, after weeks of drab depressing damp and cloudy weather.

I hope it stays like this until September, with the odd day or two of rain is fine.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, bomdabass said:

Loved the video. What direction is the camera facing WNW or something like that?

Also, any idea what was rising as the sun was setting, a planet?

Thank you.

The camera is facing to the NW and that "object" is just a light reflection from the sun

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters

This last hour of work is going to be tough, getting very warm now even with windows open in a futile attempt to create a through draft!

Also noticed the Liverpool airport temp - 38C, seems a little off the mark...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

Just had a fantastic two days camping in our van in a field in Kent, cycling to the coast and enjoying quiet beaches as well as riding past Dymchurch which was crazy in comparison, Fantastic to see all the people out there rejoicing in the hot sunny weather and enjoying all that the British seaside has to offer. Yes, it was a bit hot at times but so nice not to have to plan for every eventuality. The other half didn't even bring a jumper!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
33 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Is this something new? It’s warm but clearly nowhere near as a warm as parts of last August? 

We’ve become a cotton wool country even more so since March 2020 so this doesn’t surprise me at all...

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, MP-R said:

We’ve become a cotton wool country even more so since March 2020 so this doesn’t surprise me at all...

I’d expect a severe heat warming in the UK to be issued for 35C plus over several days….like last august! 

Btw Bmth airport 29/19C with strong sea breeze, that doesn’t happen too often….

Posted
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Probably reflecting the ongoing climate change 

shutterstock_1152324746.jpg?w=640
BLOG.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Although hot weather can often be seen as ‘good news’ and is enjoyed by many, it can have serious consequences. Research shows that, as a result of climate change, we...

Like so many warnings issued by Met Office this will have mutli agency impacts and allow formal action to be undertaken by those agencies(mostly health, I suspect) in preparation for the heat 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
42 minutes ago, Summer Sun said:

An extreme heat warning will be issued for South Wales, West Midlands, southwest England and into Hampshire and the Isle of Wight. It will be in place until Thursday.

What an odd time to issue it. Why wasn't yesterday deemed worthy of one?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
  • Location: Derbyshire Peak District South Pennines Middleton & Smerrill Tops 305m (1001ft) asl.
1 minute ago, Nick L said:

Yes I did wonder myself why one wasn't issued a few days ago. As you say very odd.

Posted

A notification just popped up on my phone about the warning so just checked it out.

image.thumb.png.89252aeef6b9e8464321eb7430884480.pngimage.thumb.png.5c4003a4f42b2d33cd53e4e1e45ed486.png 

I understand the separate heat health watches we normally see, but people from abroad must laugh when they see an "Extreme heat" warning for temps of 27C (my local forecast). It's slightly hotter further inland, but even then its not that "Extreme". Also is Land's End really going to see extreme heat?

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I would imagine because we’re not in extreme heat territory yet.

Posted

For some weird reason the Temps here in Stoke have started to skyrocket in the last hour (30c now, was 28c and you can feel the difference ), ain't they supposed to start going down from 4pm ish.... 

Posted

As others have said, amazing to see such a prolonged hot and humid spell in this country. So often the more prolonged spells in this country have lower relative humidity- but this spell feels properly Mediterranean with temps in the high 20s and humidity above 50% in the afternoons. 

Also these spells seem to be often quite hazy- visibility and air quality seems unusually good for a UK hot spell. The sun also feels stronger as a consequence.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
16 minutes ago, MP-R said:

I would imagine because we’re not in extreme heat territory yet.

But it's not going to be much hotter than yesterday, if at all.