Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

I thought I would point something out to you; Last year, you were making posts complaining that it was 15°C  in July, where you were, and that you had the heating on.

1 hour ago, Nick L said:

I've never known anyone have such a complete 180 in weather preferences in just a year. Most odd.

I remember needing the heating on on one day last July, but to be fair, that was an extremely poor month here, the average max was just 17°C, about 3 degrees below the long term average here, so I was well within my rights to moan about it. Only the final two days managed 20°C, the final day was in the high 20’s so if you take out that day the average max would be even lower. Can’t remember the sunshine and rainfall stats but they were pretty rubbish as well.

After the glorious Spring of 2020 it felt really chilly in comparison.

On the other hand this summer feels very warm in comparison after the chilly spring this year.

Also I have definitely moaned about hot weather in the past, after all my preferences are “not too hot, not too cold”. I remember I was definitely moaning in late June 2020 when we had a similar spell of high 20’s and sunny weather. I wasn’t exactly raving about hot weather like a lot of people on here that’s for sure...

Anyway, I’m currently sat in my bedroom in just shorts, no t-shirt on, window open and not feeling too bad.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Ooosh!

831713939_Screenshot_20210718-141431_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.1d120291f7f7db5b7ff1891c391e43c4.jpg

Absolutely tranquil sat in the garden.

20210718_141354.thumb.jpg.1534c97b8e0127c1ffc3cc8c252c1887.jpg

Even the temp at Hurn is rising again after a sea breeze set in there. 

Really warm here now, not a hint of a sea breeze and 30.8C. Whole of the country will be BBQing this evening.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
6 minutes ago, Man Without Beard said:

Liverpool airport showing 32C so must be hottest day of the year.

A sweltering 30C in my garden right now

Unlikely it’s correct as it’s “only” 25°C here. As other people have said, that station is recording much higher readings than nearby weather stations.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.

The temperature has been going from 29℃ to 30℃ in the last hour or so with a max of 30.8℃ so far so we have managed to reach the 30℃ mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold snowy and frosty
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I totally agree. Even my cats are seeking the shade. It’s just too darn hot! (film reference there).

My 5 cats are flopped everywhere not knowing where to put themselves.  I foster cats also for a local rescue and do struggle to keep my cat pen cool in this sort of heat even with sun umbrellas over it  Thankfully I have no fosters in at the moment to worry about.  It usually has mummy and newborn kittens in at this time of year. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
6 minutes ago, Snowycat said:

My 5 cats are flopped everywhere not knowing where to put themselves.  I foster cats also for a local rescue and do struggle to keep my cat pen cool in this sort of heat even with sun umbrellas over it  Thankfully I have no fosters in at the moment to worry about.  It usually has mummy and newborn kittens in at this time of year. 

My boy is in his den . . . He's flaked out!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but can’t you just put a thicker duvet on or crank the heating up? I will never understand this suffering in cold weather malarkey as most of us have central heating and warm clothes. In hot weather you can be naked and still too hot.

I have to agree with this. I find that it's generally a lot easier to warm up than it is to cool down. Having a fan on full blast does take the edge off but that's about it. In the winter when you are cold you can simply have the heating on, wear extra layers of clothing, use a hot water bottle, get an electric blanket and others. Central heating is very common in UK homes whereas AC isn't.

• Like 2

Posted
7 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

No cats in our place. Esp as our lad's Lab is here today He'd chase the dreadful creatures out of the garden if one dared to walk thru

32c here

• Like 1

Posted

30c here now in central Beds. 

Beautiful weather, I have a fan so I just stand in front of it for 2 minutes if I get hot. 
you lot should try it sometime 

Making the most of it before a no doubt wash out August. 

• Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Rupert is in his top hat in the spare bedroom   Can’t get these top hats now, they so love them.  They have eaten some of the Applaws food that was withdrawn from sale so have been a little worried about them all

9C04E6D4-5DAD-47A8-94DB-D31DE3E4F3A0.jpeg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Again, I'm coping OK with the daytime heat outside, but the 29.1C and 53% relative humidity indoors is proving to be the main problem. 

I think it's the combination of warm nights as well as warm days that is doing it - at Waddington it didn't get much below 18C last night.  When the temperatures fall below 15C at night, as has historically been common in spells with daytime highs in the high 20s/low 30s, the house cools down.

Some people have mentioned August 1995 recently, I think the first few days of August '95 also had this problem, with highs in the low 30s widely and minima not far short of 20C, but there was indeed a spell from around the 8th-22nd when temperatures were widely high 20s/low 30s by day, but falling to 12-15C overnight, which made the heat easier to handle for many of us.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 minute ago, Snowycat said:

Rupert is in his top hat in the spare bedroom   Can’t get these top hats now, they so love them.  They have eaten some of the Applaws food that was withdrawn from sale so have been a little worried about them all

9C04E6D4-5DAD-47A8-94DB-D31DE3E4F3A0.jpeg

The cat in your profile pic looks just like a cat who once adopted us straight after my own cat (Chloe) passed away. It's as if my late Chloe could see how upset I was and so she sent this cat to us. It's uncanny how perfectly timed it was. When Chloe was alive, the cat who later adopted us wouldn't come anywhere near me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Outside, I find keeping the fleece on is more comfortable than the heat of the sun on skin, though it does trigger too many people doing that for some reason. Indoors I use a/c during the day but switch to an adapted bathroom vent fan overnight to draw in air from outside.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

A hot and oppressive day today with almost unbroken sunshine. Warmest day of the year by a long way. Currently 29.1°C. Yesterday‘s max was 26.7°C. Temperature going through some  fluctuation due to the  seabreeze which occasionally pics up strength.

I noticed Liverpool Airport is currently reporting 32°C. It’s been over estimating temperatures by a lot for a few months now ever since when it was reporting crazy numbers one day I think when they were doing maintenance on the equipment.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

So much nicer in this weather now that I can finally enjoy it in a garden rather than stuck in a stifling flat. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter - snow, Irish sea convection. Summer - thunderstorms, hot sunny days

Just read the comments about the airport. I live 1 mile from the airport and I can confirm it has been reading between 2–4°C above my reported temperatures all year, sometimes also at night. I think my readings are pretty accurate as I have the WeatherFlow Tempust which has a built-in solar radiation shield.

Regarding the heat: yes I hate being too hot; it’s much worse than being too cold. Luckily I invested in a portable ac this year and it’s really worth the money I can tell you and it only uses 0.85 kWh electric.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, Snowycat said:

Not exclusively.  I suffer with one or two autoimmune conditions, Sjogrens being one of them and I will say I struggle a great deal more in this hot dry weather.   

Well you’re pretty lucky then, living in the UK if heat and dry weather are triggers for you. And I didn’t say exclusively, did I? 

Posted
27 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

The cat in your profile pic looks just like a cat who once adopted us straight after my own cat (Chloe) passed away. It's as if my late Chloe could see how upset I was and so she sent this cat to us. It's uncanny how perfectly timed it was. When Chloe was alive, the cat who later adopted us wouldn't come anywhere near me.

Sad story.  This was Jesse.  He was a semi feral who arrived in my garden.  I converted my summerhouse into a cat pen and caught him in there, he was so scared and feral we needed the crush cage to handle him.  I had him neutered and spent a good 2 months taming him.  He turned into a lovely loving little boy who would run down the garden to greet me.  Sadly he developed FIP I had to have him pts he was only about 18 months old.  At the time FIP was untreatable but I think they now have a drug that can treat it.   I was devastated to have lost him after turning him from a feral. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, stainesbloke said:

Well you’re pretty lucky then, living in the UK if heat and dry weather are triggers for you. And I didn’t say exclusively, did I? 

The implication was though, that winter weather is worse than hot dry weather for ailments and I am merely trying to balance out that it is not always the case.  

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

This up coming week is looking appalling for working in, by a long way the worst working weather for a few years...its going to be tough and very unpleasant. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Forgive me for my ignorance, but can’t you just put a thicker duvet on or crank the heating up? I will never understand this suffering in cold weather malarkey as most of us have central heating and warm clothes. In hot weather you can be naked and still too hot.

Last night I slept in just my boxers and a thin sheet, and still woke up too hot. I don’t have a fan I must admit, but I have a small bedroom don’t really have room.

Wish it was like that down here. Sounds perfect! Envious!

You saw the ISS??? Wow!

Yes I agree, it’s reminding me of July 2018 as well, high 20’s, sunny, still 25C indoors at night. Ugh.  The worst kind of weather for me.

I do have a thicker duvet and heating  on in winter and am very careful to dress warmly. I sleep in a hoodie all winter too, but unfortunately I still get a fair bit of pain that disrupts my sleep. Not every night but enough to be an issue that needs managing. Summer is blessed relief as I’m pain free!

Get yourself a fan, even a small desk fan will make a huge difference, try it and see Or is that too easy?!