Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
10 minutes ago, Badgers01 said:

I am not sure a whole August of settled weather has ever really happened .....!!??

It has... August 1995. 

From Trevor Harley's Personal Weather Website: 

WWW.TREVORHARLEY.COM

1995 A splendid month. The hottest (19.2C CET) and sunniest August on record, and very dry (many parts of the south-east being rainless - England and Wales had only 10% of the average - hence on average the driest on record, with 9.1 mm or 11%). For a week from the 15th 31C was reached somewhere in the country. Some spectacular thunderstorms at the start of the month: 85 mm of rain at Cardiff on the 2nd, with a gust of wind of 57 mph, and 81 mm at Burnham-on-Sea. The highest temperature of the month was on the 1st, with 35.2C at Boxworth (Cambs.) and 34.9C at Kew.

33 minutes ago, markyo said:

For yourself i agree not a issue, but for many trying to sleep i suggest humidity is one of the most disruptive weather patterns sleep wise though..It can really effect your well being and alertness levels due to lack of sleep. 

Definetly! Not looking forward to tonight. Currently 24.6C with 65% humdity indoors! 

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
25 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Why?? I cannot understand why anyone would to make themselves hot and sweaty.

For goodness sake.. Why do you have to question every single post, particularly those who enjoy something you don't?

Curb yourself, as it's getting pretty tiresome.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

25C with a breeze off the Wash this afternoon was very pleasant indeed, especially with unbroken sunshine. Honestly it would be great to have most days like this. Very uncertain regarding temperatures tomorrow, a north easterly would peg temperatures to around 26/27C, any other direction and it could get close to 30C. There could be quite a few days with uncertainty over temperatures given the rather slack pattern through the UK as high pressure remains broadly centred over the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow

Going Padstow next Friday in the tent. jaffa cakesed off. 

Posted

The excitement is unbearable, 2 whole days, 27c and then 26c. Not sure I can contain myself

Edited by ribster
  • Like 1

Posted
56 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

For goodness sake.. Why do you have to question every single post, particularly those who enjoy something you don't?

Some things just baffle me, that's all.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Lots of discussion about relative humidity here, but it's a poor indicator of how much moisture is in the air. When you scrape frost off your car in the winter, the relative humidity is near 100%. You wouldn't describe that as "humid", however. 

Dew point is a better indicator of moisture content, particularly for thunderstorms. Dew points into the high teens would qualify as humid for me.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
1 hour ago, Badgers01 said:

I am not sure a whole August of settled weather has ever really happened .....!!??

I guess it depends on how strictly one is defining "settled" - I don't think we've ever had an August with high pressure all the way through, but we've certainly had some that were generally high pressure dominated with just brief interruptions, including for example 1947, 1955, 1959, 1976, 1995 and 2003.  1947 was perhaps the closest to being completely high pressure dominated, with shallow lows about on the first few days and then that was it.  Some parts of western Scotland, somewhat unusually, had no rain at all in August 1947.  Heathrow Airport had no measurable rain in August 1995.

The Met Office's UK August sunshine stats are particularly interesting.  Over the UK as a whole, only three Augusts - 1947, 1976 and 1995 - exceeded 200 hours of sunshine, but all three had over 240 hours.  The next sunniest was 2003 with just short of 200 hours.   I remember August 2003 being a NE-SW split month sunshine wise - in the north and east of Scotland in particular it was very sunny, but parts of Wales and the south-west only had average amounts of sunshine, hence the national average being lower.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I forgot the Augusts of 1983 and 1991 - those two were also dry, fairly sunny and high pressure dominated for the most part.

A few other Augusts spring to mind as not necessarily being consistently settled, but being what many people would consider good.  August 1975 was a hot, sunny month for most with most of the rain coming from thunderstorms, and averaged nationally it was a bit drier than average.  The Augusts of 1989 and 1990 were NW-SE split months, but for the majority of both months the south and east of England were predominantly sunny and dry.  August 1989 was more exceptional sunshine wise towards the SE, August 1990 more notable for heat, with a record-breaking heatwave at the beginning.

Posted

A warm night here despite clear skies. Currently 18.7C with 76% humidity outdoors, still 24C indoors despite having bedroom window open all day.

Posted

Another lovely sunset tonight. 

F4C14B69-EA39-476D-AF76-50A29389E27F.jpeg

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
5 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well very rarely then. We do very occasionaly get weather disasters in this country but they are nearly always more extreme when they happen abroad.

A somewhat sweeping statement...

A lovely morning, already 20c, hopefully not to much of a breeze later a day of sun, fun and friends ahead!! Cheers everyone! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Curtains closed,arcon on, going to be a day of catching up on TV box sets! Far to hot already to be comfortable outside, oh well first time this summer so not to bad  i suppose.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
12 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I don’t understand why so many people on here pine for weeks of subzero daytime maxes and nights below -10c in winter either. I mean it doesn’t really bother me and I can deal with it, but it’s way more dangerous than a little bit of heat in the summer and results in way more deaths. 2x as many in the states for example. Same story here.

_102775020_gettyimages-463211889.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Could the upward trend for life expectancy be starting to stall?

But hey, it’s a losing battle on a weather forum if you like a bit of warmth!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Quite a rare sight to see -  an almost cloudless GB & Ireland ☀️

sunny.thumb.png.a9f861bcb07fbc772162becbf8aff4a7.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Not the best weekend to choose to move stuff over to my new place. It's a good job I don't have two flights of stairs to run up and down at my current flat...oh wait

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
11 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I guess it depends on how strictly one is defining "settled" - I don't think we've ever had an August with high pressure all the way through, but we've certainly had some that were generally high pressure dominated with just brief interruptions, including for example 1947, 1955, 1959, 1976, 1995 and 2003.  1947 was perhaps the closest to being completely high pressure dominated, with shallow lows about on the first few days and then that was it.  Some parts of western Scotland, somewhat unusually, had no rain at all in August 1947.  Heathrow Airport had no measurable rain in August 1995.

The Met Office's UK August sunshine stats are particularly interesting.  Over the UK as a whole, only three Augusts - 1947, 1976 and 1995 - exceeded 200 hours of sunshine, but all three had over 240 hours.  The next sunniest was 2003 with just short of 200 hours.   I remember August 2003 being a NE-SW split month sunshine wise - in the north and east of Scotland in particular it was very sunny, but parts of Wales and the south-west only had average amounts of sunshine, hence the national average being lower.

I've always been of the opinion that expectations are far too high for August when it comes to sunshine, mainly due to the anomalously sunny 1989-2005 period. The 1981-2010 average itself is artificially high, from 1920-1980 around 15 Augusts were higher than that average, yet from the 1989-2005 alone nine Augusts managed it with the worst of the others barely no more than10% below it. Its also a month where by the end light levels are similar to the first half of April so its quite far fetched to expect 200+ hour totals regularly on a month so far from the solstice.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I don’t understand why so many people on here pine for weeks of subzero daytime maxes and nights below -10c in winter either. I mean it doesn’t really bother me and I can deal with it, but it’s way more dangerous than a little bit of heat in the summer and results in way more deaths. 2x as many in the states for example. Same story here.

_102775020_gettyimages-463211889.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Could the upward trend for life expectancy be starting to stall?

But hey, it’s a losing battle on a weather forum if you like a bit of warmth!

I’d describe the forum as primarily pro winter, pro lockdown! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

I’d describe the forum as primarily pro winter, pro lockdown! 

I'd say most weather enthusiasts look out for unusual / interesting weather. In winter that tends to mean cold and snowy weather and in summer heat and thunderstorms.

When reading peoples weather preferences, you don't often see 'Atlantic' or 'mild winter, cool summer'!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
13 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Not the best weekend to choose to move stuff over to my new place. It's a good job I don't have two flights of stairs to run up and down at my current flat...oh wait

In my experience the only good weather for moving is a still, overcast day in the low teens. Hard to come by this time of year, it's either warm, or rainy!

Posted

Doesn't look to be overly warm like the spell we had last August, still 26c here for at least another 6 days is nothing to complain about. Hoping for a thundery breakdown when it eventually ends.

• Like 1