Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

197mm recorded here. 

Hopefully, the next week or so, it can wipe a lot of that from the memory bank. Today was the start, managed 11.7 hrs of sunshine and a max temp of 25.6°C.

Around 130mm here in Reading, the average total for a complete typical summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
8 hours ago, Stargazer said:

Around 130mm here in Reading, the average total for a complete typical summer.

The slow moving low pressure systems that have plagued the UK have now moved on to the low countries and caused catastrophic floods the last few days. Look at Netherlands/Belgium here...central European areas have inches of rain to come too in the next 4-5 days:

image.thumb.png.f7740720d70a0fa9e0e46abbdabdfa31.png

Massively expanding CU field across the bulk of England looks like ruining a big chunk of the day. Hopefully it’ll start to break up once the sun gets a little higher!!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow or dry, warm and breezy.

I really like mid 20s, low humidity and a breeze. I don't understand why people seem to will 30c plus with high humidity. It makes being active hard work.

• Like 2

Posted

Not bad at all despite temporary cloud cover. Looking forward to the weekend, and sun is great for my back which is recovering nicely, but enjoyment dampened by mid/European weather which looks serious. General concern about global warming.

41 minutes ago, Stav said:

I really like mid 20s, low humidity and a breeze. I don't understand why people seem to will 30c plus with high humidity. It makes being active hard work.

Think the heat seekers on weather forums work from home or offices in air conned rooms, most people off here would agree with you. 

• Like 3

Posted
22 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Under almost complete SC cover now. Waste of a warm day…..

Indeed, not sure about a heatwave. Another cloudy day after a max around 20 yesterday. A few days of mid to high twenties before dropping off again. Not quite knicker wetting stuff!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

47 minutes ago, Stav said:

I don't understand why people seem to will 30c plus with high humidity. It makes being active hard work.

We very rarely get 30°C and high humidity.

Most of last years hot days had relative humidity values between 30 and 40%.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

We very rarely get 30°C and high humidity.

Most of last years hot days had relative humidity values between 30 and 40%.

Nah, it's my bugbear again. People complaining about it being really humid when in reality it isn't. Most of the airmasses that bring 30c to the UK plus tend to be continental, which by design are drier anyway. We get the odd very warm tropical SW airmass bringing sticky weather, or if a thundery Biscay low moves up it can crank it up a bit, but on the whole most are between 30-40% as you say.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Nah, it's my bugbear again. People complaining about it being really humid when in reality it isn't. Most of the airmasses that bring 30c to the UK plus tend to be continental, which by design are drier anyway. We get the odd very warm tropical SW airmass bringing sticky weather, or if a thundery Biscay low moves up it can crank it up a bit, but on the whole most are between 30-40% as you say.

Given the UK dew point record is 24C your absolutely right. 

Even during august last year, dew points rarely exceeded 18C. Most of the time when Heathrow was in the low to mid 30s Dp was 12-15C - Off course 35C is 35C that’s pretty hot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

image.thumb.png.bc378126191530e20aa7b12e8862e94c.png

Classic summers day here. 23C and mostly sunny with white cumulus clouds, and feeling very warm. ⛅ Barely a breeze either. Already starting to feel too hot, and to think this is just considered an average summers day down in London! Luckily nothing forecast above 24/25C here, and cooling off again next week. :)

Not sure why but my heat tolerance is very low this year. Maybe because I've had nothing above 24C so far this year, so anything above 22C feels hot. Also the chilly spring might play a part in my lack of acclimatization.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Plenty warm enough today, but ever since I decided to sit outside in the sun, there has still been far too much cloud around, which will no doubt clear this evening again!

Looks like the sunny spell will start in earnest tomorrow, and I'll be looking for an extra sunny day at the other end of the spell to make up for it.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Glad the weather is finally improving. 28C by Sunday!

Not up here it won't be!  Thank goodness.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, Stav said:

It makes day to day living hard work nevermind being active! Not to mention sleeping, ugh. Nothing worse than a hot sticky night! 

Low 20's, low humidity and a breeze is ideal for me. Anything above 22/23C is too much!

• Like 3

Posted
19 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That is shocking, esspecially for the south!  I can now see why there has been so much moaning from people in the south, had not realised it had been that wet!  

Yeah its hard to overstate just how wet it has been at times, we've had several localised floods in places that I've never seen flood in summer, and even in winter only once in every 2-3 years, so gives an indication of it.

Personally here June had just a little below average sunshine looking at the data locally. Which doesn't sound too bad until you realise that a huge amount of that sunshine total came from the first 10 days and the rest of the month had about 12hrs of sunshine (of which 8hrs of that was on one day), though I acknowledge we were a touch unlucky on a couple of days with how local convection blew up and just sat nearby. (someone I know who was near the coast couldn't believe how cloudy it was on one of those days compared to where they were, which had wall to wall sunshine!

Yesterday was a classic summers day but we've gone back to a cloud fest here.

The next three days though are looking more than decent, and indeed I fully expect somewhere will breach 30c over the next few days as well.

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, Alderc said:

A reasonable day, but lost all the main part of the day to cloud, subsequently temps barely above average at 22.5C.

Clouded up here too, was 23°C earlier in the sun now 21°C (yes!) Humid though at 78%.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Started off promising here in Sussex but clouded over by early afternoon and stayed cloudy most of the day. The forecast is for six warm/hot and sunny consecutive days, so I wait with anticipation to see if the SE hating weather Gods attempt to put the dampers on what looks to be the sunniest weather for at least a month coming up. I can deal with any heat but hope it cools down at night. I find it difficult to sleep when it is 27+C past midnight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

A reasonable day, but lost all the main part of the day to cloud, subsequently temps barely above average at 22.5C.

Thought it would brighten up this evening but alas no. Today’s really a poor effort given the forecast. Sort of sums up summer so far. Expectation of 25C and 10hrs plus of sun but really only average temps and about 5hrs of sun, surprised it even stayed dry.

Posted

With half of the meteorological summer to go

Manchester Summer Indices  ranked in order with the best at the top 

1976 301

1995 298

1983 278

1955 277

1911 274

2018 272

1984 271

1959 269

1975 268

1949 267

1989 262

1947 255

1933 251

1901 249

1921 249

2003 247

2013 247

1925 246

2006 246

1996 245

1935 243

1994 240

1934 238

1940 238

1941 236

2014 236

1970 235

1969 234

1973 234

1999 234

1997 232

1990 229

1917 228

1926 227

2005 224

1905 223

1932 223

1945 223

1967 223

1977 223

2021 223 (up to 13th July)

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

To be honest I expected today to be cloudy for much of the day.  Started off sunny but by 8am it was full overcast, with less than 1h sun in total since.  Has felt humid though. 

Due toexpectations, therefore not too disappointed- but i sure will be if there is much more cloud tomorrow through Sunday!

Posted

Sun back out again now here. Went fully cloudy late afternoon, then suddenly looked up and back to full sun again lol. Amazing how quick it changes.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer
2 hours ago, al78 said:

Started off promising here in Sussex but clouded over by early afternoon and stayed cloudy most of the day. The forecast is for six warm/hot and sunny consecutive days, so I wait with anticipation to see if the SE hating weather Gods attempt to put the dampers on what looks to be the sunniest weather for at least a month coming up. I can deal with any heat but hope it cools down at night. I find it difficult to sleep when it is 27+C past midnight.

“SE hating weather gods” 

HaHaHaHa

• Like 1