Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Exeter going for a breakdown middle of next week. Nothing exceptional before then. Possibly high 20s. Helen Willets on BBC says the next ''rainmaker'' low arrives towards end of next week. Good agreement. Short settled spell coming upm

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Moaning about a possible warm-up before it’s even here (or guaranteed) always baffles me. Hopefully, 2 months of warmth and sunshine to enjoy. You’ll just have to suck it up, buttercup You certainly have been utterly spoilt this summer!

Buttercup!!....Ok Daisy spend 2 days doing my job in a ambient temp of over 25c Lets be fair i commented about working in didn't i? 2 days, that's all. 40c plus, 100% humidity, 10 to 12 hrs......be interesting to see how you coped.....oh by the way enjoy your warmth, looks fairly settled in your area( or in my language vile and hot!☺️)

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
2 minutes ago, markyo said:

Buttercup!!....Ok Daisy spend 2 days doing my job in a ambient temp of over 25c Lets be fair i commented about working in didn't i? 2 days, that's all. 40c plus, 100% humidity, 10 to 12 hrs......be interesting to see how you coped.....oh by the way enjoy your warmth, looks fairly settled in your area( or in my language vile and hot!☺️)

40c & 100% humidity means a 40c dewpoint!! My word

• Like 1

Posted
Just now, LightningLover said:

Its not natural conditions, i work with steam sterilisers, medical kit in enclosed decontamination rooms, no ventilation or air con allowed. Hotter out side equals a logarithmic increase in temp, not linear. ie 1c increase outside can mean 3c inside dependent on location

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms, snow, and wind storms
Just now, markyo said:

Its not natural conditions, i work with steam sterilisers, medical kit in enclosed decontamination rooms, no ventilation or air con allowed. Hotter out side equals a logarithmic increase in temp, not linear. ie 1c increase outside can mean 3c inside dependent on location

Yeah I figured lol, Just fun to imagine it as weather conditions!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
25 minutes ago, markyo said:

by the way enjoy your warmth, looks fairly settled in your area( or in my language vile and hot!☺️)

But you like hot weather?!! It says so in your weather preference..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
47 minutes ago, LightningLover said:

I honestly don't know how he copes with it!  Esspecially as he hates the heat! I can not think of a worse job for someone who hates the heat, as I've said before he'd be much better off working in Iceland or one of those giant walk in freezers, or anywhere with AC. My local Spar is always nice and cool in the summer as they have AC.

I wonder how his work colleagues cope? Has anyone ever got heatstroke or fainted etc? Or are they all heat lovers?

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I honestly don't know how he copes with it!  Esspecially as he hates the heat! I can not think of a worse job for someone who hates the heat, as I've said before he'd be much better off working in Iceland or one of those giant walk in freezers.

I wonder how his work colleagues cope?

I think he works on his own..

Just kidding Mark

Posted
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Moaning about a possible warm-up before it’s even here (or guaranteed) always baffles me. Hopefully, 2 months of warmth and sunshine to enjoy. You’ll just have to suck it up, buttercup You certainly have been utterly spoilt this summer!

I bet your Check (sorry, can't spell) friends laugh when you tell them that people in the UK moan about the heat when it goes above 23C! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
4 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

And now the sun comes out ... Too late as always!

It's just gone in, here! 

• Like 1

Posted

Been sunny here for most of the day. Now full sun and 20C.

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I honestly don't know how he copes with it!  Esspecially as he hates the heat! I can not think of a worse job for someone who hates the heat, as I've said before he'd be much better off working in Iceland or one of those giant walk in freezers, or anywhere with AC. My local Spar is always nice and cool in the summer as they have AC.

I wonder how his work colleagues cope? Has anyone ever got heatstroke or fainted etc? Or are they all heat lovers?

Heatstroke? yep me, 2 times but learnt me lesson, HSE far more strict now!! Not may of us are heat lovers.....can't think why!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, DAVID SNOW said:

I think he works on his own..

Just kidding Mark

Not allowed to....someone has to be there to carry me out when i pass out!.....our record was 49c with 100%, had to bail out after a few mins just to much, thankfully the kit was starting to trip out because it couldn't condense the steam inside the chambers back to water because it was to hot!. Crap job but it pays the bills but kept us employed during covid and trust me in the Winter going from 35c plus to walking outside to minus 5 or less in less than a minute doesn't half make you feel alive! Hence why i love the colder months!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
35 minutes ago, markyo said:

Not allowed to....someone has to be there to carry me out when i pass out!.....our record was 49c with 100%, had to bail out after a few mins just to much, thankfully the kit was starting to trip out because it couldn't condense the steam inside the chambers back to water because it was to hot!. Crap job but it pays the bills but kept us employed during covid and trust me in the Winter going from 35c plus to walking outside to minus 5 or less in less than a minute doesn't half make you feel alive! Hence why i love the colder months!

I know.... done some work in confined spaces, same rules apply. And can get rather hot too.

• Like 1

Posted

Our multispan polytunnels at work regularly get above 40'c in summer, with a high of 56'c a few years ago, plus 100% humidity, and the sun beating down on you.

We're only allowed in there in 15 minute intervals to avoid heatstroke or just passing out

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Wow I can’t imagine how how that must have felt!  Probably like a sauna but ever hotter? Wouldn’t know as I’ve never been in one! Why anyone would want to pay to sweat in a hot humid room I don’t know! Highest outdoor temp I’ve ever experienced is about 33°C and my shed got to 35°C last summer. That was hot but bearable as the humidity was only about 50% or so. I’m a bit confused about why it has to be so hot and humid? Is it to kill bacteria? Then again I know nothing about medical equipment or sterilisers. Doesn’t sound safe to me to be working in those temps and humidity! The heat index must be horrific!

1 hour ago, cyclonic happiness said:

Our multispan polytunnels at work regularly get above 40'c in summer, with a high of 56'c a few years ago, plus 100% humidity, and the sun beating down on you.

We're only allowed in there in 15 minute intervals to avoid heatstroke or just passing out

Yeah polytunnels do get hot, I’ve been in them before. I don’t remember them feeling particularly humid though, just hot. They’re nice and warm on a cold day though. 56°C is the hottest natural temperature ever recorded on earth I think.

Posted

Just out of curiosity I've had a look at the heat index and Markyo's working conditions of 40C with 100% humidity is off the scale!  

This means that according to this chart, Markyo is in "extreme danger" of heatstroke, with a feels like temperature/heat index of well over 60C!  

Heat Index.png

Poor Markyo! Again I honestly don't know how he manages! 

Interestingly, a temperature of 27C with 100% humdity only has a heat index of 31C, in the yellow "Caution" zone, but 30C with 100% humdity has a heat index of 44C, in the "danger" category.

Cloud_forest_mount_kinabalu-withHygrom.j
EN.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

Posted

Anyway, it's been a nice day here with plenty of sunshine and highs of around 21C. Currently clear skies and 14C. Bedroom currently 22C with 58% humidity so not too bad I suppose.

Forecast to reach a scorching 25C at the weekend here (hot for us northerners!) Not looking forward to it!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm pretty sure 49C with a dew point of 49C would put you at serious threat of death...

• Like 3

Posted
47 minutes ago, Nick L said:

I'm pretty sure 49C with a dew point of 49C would put you at serious threat of death...

Yep with dew point 

“Once this reaches 35C, the human body cannot cool itself by sweating and even fit people sitting in the shade will die within six hours.”

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
11 hours ago, markyo said:

It certainly sounds very dramatic and unpleasant, but I’ll still be hoping for 2 months of sun and warmth for SE England as everyone I know from home is really fed up with the depressing crap they’ve had to endure there.

Epic storms here yesterday evening, again! Turning into an amazing storm season. No ‘vile and hot’ weather to come here, it’s looking average actually with temperatures between 24-26°C for the next 10 days. Nothing to get one’s knickers in a twist about

08158BD4-C663-4409-9242-A53B9507CEC8.jpeg

5CAE703C-B405-429C-BEA7-A2918C942DD7.jpeg

4FF154C8-9E49-48A4-A9F5-124079D43A65.jpeg

03D62D70-2F64-4C21-96A0-89789B8EBA88.jpeg

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

It certainly sounds very dramatic and unpleasant, but I’ll still be hoping for 2 months of sun and warmth for SE England as everyone I know from home is really fed up with the depressing crap they’ve had to endure there.

Epic storms here yesterday evening, again! Turning into an amazing storm season. No ‘vile and hot’ weather to come here, it’s looking average actually with temperatures between 24-26°C for the next 10 days. Nothing to get one’s knickers in a twist about

When I see this, it reminds me of what the August 6th 1981 must have looked like, to cause all that daytime darkness.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

IMG_0016.MOV

Well it looks like the misery merchants will get their way now. A blink and you'll miss it taste of summer, then back to the cloud and rain. What an awful summer. 

I see there's already a thread to moan about autumn. Might as well close this and just leave that open permanently, it sums up our "autumn all year round" weather.

• Like 3