Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms & Snow
4 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Definitely looking forward to the upcoming warm spell, bit how unlucky has it been for thunder here this summer.. had 1 day so far.  2 days of near misses (today and 28th June) where storms have been within 25 miles, and general thundery potential which has never materialised, despite a trough quite often to the SE.  Can't think of a worse summer from a storms perspective so far

2009, 2010, 2011, 2015 and 2020 were pretty diabolical for missing out on storms at Guildford. This year is as just as atrocious and certainly not pleased about today's failures. Too bad we now have another horrid humid N.W. warm sector flow before anticyclonic weather dominates for a duration of anyone's guess. Last good thundery summer was 2014 and last decent storm was in 2016, typically when I was on holiday and missed it, hence feeling even more storm-staved in this dreadful current period. 

Likely to be a few days of warmth followed by torrential rain then possibly weeks of mundane showerer weather. Same pattern.

I'm not buying into a lengthy warm spell, hope I'm wrong.

Posted

Yet again, woke up to more dull dreary cloudy weather, in the middle of July.

Sunday morning was a clear blue sky morning, but they've been very few and far between since mid June down in London.

If this continues until September, 2021 will be a poor summer, even if it stays warm.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
37 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Yet again, woke up to more dull dreary cloudy weather, in the middle of July.

Sunday morning was a clear blue sky morning, but they've been very few and far between since mid June down in London.

If this continues until September, 2021 will be a poor summer, even if it stays warm.

The lack of sun, especially morning sun, is my main point of contention with summer 2021. It is so depressing to never wake up to blue outside my window. My body clock is actually waking me up later than normal in summer because it's so dark and no sun rays are peeking through into my bedroom as one would expect for late June & early July.

The lack of heat is disappointing but I can happily appreciate 20 / 21 degrees if it's actually sunny. I dont think I can recall a cloudier and more grim July than this one. The entire half of late June was also terrible. There have been only 1 or 2 properly sunny days since the heatwave we had at the start of June. Very dire for SE England and London, but the top of France are also getting a bad run of it. North UK have had a better run of it overall so admittedly when they say "this summer has not been too bad so far!" they're not wrong because they've had quite the different experience sun-wise. During the days of 15c wet dross in London at the start of July, much of the North including Lake District basked in like 20c+ sunniness.  

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
16 hours ago, markyo said:

Really hoping this upcoming spell of uncomfortable weather for working in is short livid, i get why folk like this type of weather, its Summer, but for the likes of myself it really impacts on the day's work, the sooner it returns to more of the akin to what we've had the better. Thankfully it is not looking that extended so i'm keeping my fingers crossed. This Summer has been very good so far, by far one of the better ones so i suppose i've been spoilt!

Moaning about a possible warm-up before it’s even here (or guaranteed) always baffles me. Hopefully, 2 months of warmth and sunshine to enjoy. You’ll just have to suck it up, buttercup You certainly have been utterly spoilt this summer!

• Like 7

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

The lack of sun, especially morning sun, is my main point of contention with summer 2021. It is so depressing to never wake up to blue outside my window. My body clock is actually waking me up later than normal in summer because it's so dark and no sun rays are peeking through into my bedroom as one would expect for late June & early July.

The lack of heat is disappointing but I can happily appreciate 20 / 21 degrees if it's actually sunny. I dont think I can recall a cloudier and more grim July than this one. The entire half of late June was also terrible. There have been only 1 or 2 properly sunny days since the heatwave we had at the start of June. Very dire for SE England and London, but the top of France are also getting a bad run of it. North UK have had a better run of it overall so admittedly when they say "this summer has not been too bad so far!" they're not wrong because they've had quite the different experience sun-wise. During the days of 15c wet dross in London at the start of July, much of the North including Lake District basked in like 20c+ sunniness.  

I think when I was in the Scottish highlands at the end of May/early June, there was one day where it was one of the warmest, if not the warmest place in the country (I think Kinlochewe recorded 24C). It is not just summer that has been poor in the SE. May was also dull, wet, and cooler than average (over the whole country, not just the SE), despite the warm up near the second bank holiday. This means in the SE we are looking at three consecutive dull wet months at a time of the year we normally would be enjoying a fair fraction of days that are warm and sunny. We are almost halfway through the summer and once August arrives, the shortening hours of daylight become much more noticable as the sunset moves towards 8 pm rather than past 9 pm. September has the potential for warm sunny weather but it is less useful at that time of year because the sun is going down around 7:30 pm, which means those of us with a weekday job can't as easily enjoy a warm sunny evening in a beer garden.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

I don't care about high temperatures but I do need the sun, and there's been very little in this month. Again today is stone overcast, cool and damp, like living in a tupperware box.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Looks like summer will be returning at the end of the week and over the weekend. I am particularly happy about this because it means that I can go to my local country park and play with my new Nikon camera.

Despite the upcoming very warm weather, I am still going for a 30 Celsiusless July and any 30+ Celsius temps being held back until August. Perhaps 29.9 Celsius will be the highest this month?

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundershine said:

I don't care about high temperatures but I do need the sun, and there's been very little in this month. Again today is stone overcast, cool and damp, like living in a tupperware box.

Agree!! Tupperware box had me laughing but it's true lol!

Today’s a bit meh, about 22C but almost zero sun.

Still not even 40hrs of sun here in Bmth after 12days of July, other places in London and the SE barely over 30hrs. Must be the fullest start to a July on record. 

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Still not even 40hrs of sun here in Bmth after 12days of July, other places in London and the SE barely over 30hrs. Must be the fullest start to a July on record. 

How do you find your sun hours? Local station showing 0.2 hours today!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
13 minutes ago, Alderc said:

As far as I can see, nowhere has hit 25C this month and we're nearly half way through...in July. That's dreadful.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
12 minutes ago, Nick L said:

As far as I can see, nowhere has hit 25C this month and we're nearly half way through...in July. That's dreadful.

Here in Edmonton we have got above 25c 9 out of the first 12 days and no day in the next 10 is forecast to be below 25c..the average max is currently at 28.1c...there is no real let up in the heat for the rest of month looking at the models

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I quite enjoyed the first nine days of July in Lincoln, it wasn't particularly sunny but it was quite warm, it had some sunny spells and three days with thunder, including a very potent thunderstorm on the 3rd.  But over the last few days it's mainly just been dull, and nearby Waddington (one of the sites on that Reading "month so far" page) has had just 45.4 hours of sunshine in the first 12 days of July.  That's pretty poor - if it continued at this rate July would record just 117 hours.  And yet it's still ahead of most sites in the south of England.

I expect sunshine totals to pick up somewhat over the coming week though.  It may well be a fairly cloudy high to start off with, but I expect that by Friday a large majority of the UK will be predominantly sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
11 hours ago, Weather-history said:

A poor day yesterday

At least I got a good nights sleep though! 

58 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just had a look at the local weather station - just 30 hours here so far and a whopping 77 mm of rain!  

Didn't realise it has been so cloudy and wet!  Not sure how accurate the station is but it probably isn't that far off. It has been warm though (for here) with most days above 20C, which is a lot more than can be said for last July, when I didn't even reach 20C until the final two days!  

If we keep it up at this rate then July will record just 60 hours of sun and a whpping 154 mm of rain!  

We are going into a what appears to be quite a prolonged spell of warm, dry and sunny weather, which will offset the cloudy and wet first half, so it will probably end up being a warmer than average month here with near normal rainfall and sunshine.

I would prefer a month with average temperatures with above average sunshine and below average rainfall, but in our warming climate that is very difficult to acheive these days. It seems in summer it either has to be cool and wet, cool and cloudy, warm and wet, warm and cloudy or baking hot and sunny.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Stunning weekend weather coming up nationwide. Long overdue!

stunner.thumb.png.0e1158aa117f284feb233ddbb64fa20c.png

Hope we get stuck in this pattern until October. It'll make up for the appalling "summer" weather we've had so far in the SE. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Anyway it's a lovely day here, sunny intervals, a lovely breeze and currently 21C. Plenty warm enough for me!

I really don't understand this obsession with baking hot weather in this country, it just makes sleeping (and doing stuff in general) more difficult and uncomortable. What's wrong with a dry bright breezy day in the low 20's?

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
11 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Stunning weekend weather coming up nationwide. Long overdue!

stunner.thumb.png.0e1158aa117f284feb233ddbb64fa20c.png

Hope we get stuck in this pattern until October. It'll make up for the appalling "summer" weather we've had so far in the SE. 

I actually wouldn't mind this pattern in September and October, as by then the sun is much weaker and temps would be in the high teens and low twenties which is just perfect for me and would make a lovely indian summer.  

Not a fan of intense high pressure at this time of year though as it just makes the thermometers rocket. I prefer to have the warm and sunny weather in the spring and autumn, when you can actually enjoy it without melting into a puddle. I liked 2011 as it had a warm spring and autumn and a cool summer. It was a very pleasant year for weather was 2011. Nothing too hot or too cold. 2020 was also good as well. A cool(ish) summer with an outstanding spring and a nice September.

Anyway it's forecasting 23C for me which is at the upper end of what I find comfortable. Weather app forecasting 25C here for Sunday though, so we'll see. 

Whats interesting though is that it's forecasting low to mid 20's pretty much universally across the country, rather than the heat being focused on the south east, something you don't normally here. I guess that's becuase it's a big area of high pressure sat over the country as opposed to a two day plume.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
20 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That require 30C heat?

I didn't say it did..

But, if it gets to that temperature here, I will enjoy it, whether I'm working in it or not.

• Thanks 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

I didn't say it did..

But, if it gets to that temperature here, I will enjoy it, whether I'm working in it or not.

Fair enough if that's what you enjoy. Forecast to be 22-25C here next seven days with nights in the low teens so nothing extremely hot forecast (yet). Maybe I'm fretting about it too much.

Posted

Curious weather in Somerset where the clouds are coming in from the north. I’m in central Somerset where the cloud has thinned and periodically allowed the sun through, but most of the time it’s been mild and dry - but grey. Only about 15 miles west near Bridgwater my friends are reporting wall to wall sun.