Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Didn't expect to see the sea fret today, its quite unusual by July, especially so close to midday. As a result its only 14.4C but at least its dry.

We also had an unexpected very heavy shower yesterday evening which dumped 12mm in about half an hour.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Bright here and blue skies imminent in next hour I’d say. Looking like an 18-20 degree day depending on how much blue sky develops. 

• Like 2

Oooh 14.7C now….Utterly terrible, still drizzling.

Looks like we’ll get to the 14/15th of July having recorded 21C just once. 

For comparison against some of the worst Julys of recent times 

2007 - 21C 4 times

2011 - 21C 5 times

2012 - 21C just once

Posted

So just as things are looking up the GFS is showing that the high pressure won't even last all that long. Of course

• Like 1

Posted
On 03/05/2021 at 14:15, B87 said:

August 2016 had 222 hours of sun so it was slightly sunnier than average in London. June 2016 was the cloudiest on record, July was a little cloudier than average as well. September was also dull despite being warm.

Summer 2020 was the most recent one to have every month cloudier than average. We haven't seen a summer record above average sun in every month since 2003!

2020 was a letdown after what was a very sunny spring, and a long sunny spell only matched by summer 2018 and 1995.

That’s partly why people think last year was good i think. June, July and august were quite cloudy in the London region.

Summer 2021 is even worse because of the cold dull wet May, and bar the two weeks and the odd clear sunny day a couple of weeks ago, it’s been very poor.

21-23 with predominantly cloudy dull conditions with cool or warm and humid, doesn’t make for a good summer.

I stare out the window at yet another very cloudy day. For it to classed as a good summer, we need long sunny periods with clear blue skies or partly sunny skies. That hasn’t happened much at all recently. 

Posted

Once again beautiful sunshine in Belfast with temps around 20c.

We've been consistently dry now for around 6 weeks with only light passing showers a few days 

Very unusual for it to be so dry and sunny here and so wet in the south East.

Very unusual pattern 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
22 minutes ago, Gav. said:

Once again beautiful sunshine in Belfast with temps around 20c.

We've been consistently dry now for around 6 weeks with only light passing showers a few days 

Very unusual for it to be so dry and sunny here and so wet in the south East.

Very unusual pattern 

A warm welcome to Netweather Gav.

I can confirm another wet day here in East Anglia.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

15 hours ago, kold weather said:

I think to an extent you adapt to it if you live with it for a long time.

For example in this country during the summer heat of 2018 I kinda got used to maxes somewhere between 28-32c for a very long and sustained period, and it didn't actually feel that hot by the time we'd been going for a month. Even when it got to 35c before it broke down it didn't feel that oppressive really.

I'd imagine for your location to get that kind of sustained heat (1-2 months) must be pretty rare, though I guess spells of weather do get there, its just your much more prone to it being broken down like we saw in Aug 20 where the heat held in the south but somewhat broke for a few days up there.

2018 surprisngly never quite reached 30C here, but for a two week period in Late June and Early July it was consistently dry, sunny and 24-29C. Indoors it wasn't too bad thanks to the relitaively cool nights, but the high temperature combined with the very strong sunshine meant that being out between 1 and 6 pm was very hot and umcomfortable for me. A lot of woman wearing strap tops and quite a few men bare chested. I remember by the end of the month I had got a little more used to the mid - high twenties temps, but still found it hot and uncomfortable. The average daytime high in July 2018 was only around 23C up here, locally one of the hottest on record and a good 3 degrees above the long-term average, but the weather we had would probably just be considered close to average if it occured in London, which just goes to show how different summers are down there compared to up here.

Considering how hot a month with an average high of 23C felt to me, I cannot imagine living somewhere where the average high in summer is 30C. I would have to have A/C and only go outside for very short periods.

As I type It's currently 23C inside and it does feel warm.

8 hours ago, mb018538 said:

28F60BD4-A906-4C0B-8609-5D1A944F40EA.thumb.jpeg.9fddf6f68b69f5e8476069735258080e.jpeg

It went crazy here last night, as well as other parts of east anglia. Some monster storm cells developed, and the rain was something else. Monsoon like for about half an hour….seems to have been a lot of these across the country the last few weeks!!

That is something I have never seen before in the UK. The UK apparently has the most tornadoes in the world yet I've never ever seen one.

6 hours ago, Freeze said:

Down here this summer has been absolutely awful in comparison to last year, where it was warm sunny and dry throughout with some major hot spells. This year has been mostly cloudy and wet, but no thunderstorms, and my highest temp so far is 24c back in early June. Recent daytime maxes have been stuck under 20c for weeks except for yesterday. I'd much rather last year in my south coastal location.

Amazing how different it's been in different parts of the country. Up here June was a lot warmer and drier than last year, probably sunnier too, and so far July has been much warmer than last year. I cannot remember a summer where I've worn nothing but shorts and t-shirts so consisently (except for summer 2018).

6 hours ago, Alderc said:

Just in Bmth picking up some new glasses, the winter coats are out, people with bobble hats on. 13.6C when I left and now been raining for 7hrs….

As we like to say up north, they are soft down South.  Has to be well into single digits before you'll see me in a winter coat and I only wear a winter hat if theres snow on the ground... I don't think I've ever worn a winter coat in summer before, even when it's 12C and pouring, a light raincoat over a hoodie would be enough for me.

4 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

Bright here and blue skies imminent in next hour I’d say. Looking like an 18-20 degree day depending on how much blue sky develops. 

Yep, another t-shirt and shorts day for me definetely. Currently 19C outdoors, 23C indoors and I'm very warm!

4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Oooh 14.7C now….Utterly terrible, still drizzling.

Looks like we’ll get to the 14/15th of July having recorded 21C just once. 

For comparison against some of the worst Julys of recent times 

2007 - 21C 4 times

2011 - 21C 5 times

2012 - 21C just once

Wow I did not realise that July 2011 was so bad in the south, I just remember 2011 as quite a cool, boring non-descript summer. I did remember attending an outdoor wedding during that month and the heavens opening, but other than that, I don't remember the weather being an issue. Last July was super bad up here though, just 2 days reaching 20C!  

Seems like I am getting the weather that the South got last July, and the South is getting the weather that I got last July!

2 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Just scrapped a boiling 16c with tons of cloud and light rain. Positively joyful!

Sun has just come out here and it's reached 21C. ?️ With light winds and 68% humdity it feels very warm!

35 minutes ago, Blessed Weather said:

A warm welcome to Netweather Gav.

I can confirm another wet day here in East Anglia.

Not the Gav who does the weather on YouTube! He's from Northampton.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

July 2011 doesn’t fall into the same category as 2007 and 2012 for me, purely because of the rainfall. The 01st-05th, 09th-14th and 23rd-31st were all dry, fairly bright and mainly warm periods here.

The periods between were cack though and the drier periods never achieved maximum sunshine, so for that reason, it was disappointing overall, and felt more like a September.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 minutes ago, MP-R said:

July 2011 doesn’t fall into the same category as 2007 and 2012 for me, purely because of the rainfall. The 01st-05th, 09th-14th and 23rd-31st were all dry, fairly bright and mainly warm periods here.

The periods between were cack though and the drier periods never achieved maximum sunshine, so for that reason, it was disappointing overall, and felt more like a September.

Yeah the Summer of 2011 never really got hot. I just remember it being very benign with a mix of cloudy and sunny days, with temps probably only in the high teens most of the time. I remember August 2011 being cloudy and cool here, but had a lot of warm and sunny weather when I went on holiday to East Anglia during that month.

7 hours ago, Freeze said:

Down here this summer has been absolutely awful in comparison to last year, where it was warm sunny and dry throughout with some major hot spells. This year has been mostly cloudy and wet, but no thunderstorms, and my highest temp so far is 24c back in early June. Recent daytime maxes have been stuck under 20c for weeks except for yesterday. I'd much rather last year in my south coastal location.

Ah I'm in Lincolnshire so that might be why.It has been a nice warm July no proper heat but sunny and warm. And often thundery and heavy rain more thunder than I can remember in recent times for a summer here anyway (Like the last 3 summer's or whatever). And when the sun comes out you can see the really dark puffy rain clouds in the distance it's been quite a nice beautiful interesting July here anyways much better than the previous one

Edited by TM1400
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm and sunny!

Surprisingly pleasant day today.  Forecast was for 17°C and sunny intervals but it is now currently 21°C with hardly a cloud in the sky.  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yes please. And also to continue through Jan and Feb. Excellent. 

sounds like you're trolling? you have been complaining at that weather, and now you want it?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The UK apparently has the most tornadoes in the world yet I've never ever seen one.

No it doesn't.

It has the most tornadoes per area, a year.

It's a fact to sound impressive.

• Like 1

It’s perked up a bit this afternoon, we’ve had a couple of hours of sun but temps have still struggled to just 17-18C. 

What we need are uppers of 17-18C, thankfully some output is starting to hint at that for freedom day. 31-33C oooh very pleasant! 

7433A973-4CB2-423A-B948-58B6A9DFD7E8.thumb.png.7313f4d7e9bb3009dcb44dd8f92bc179.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Very pleasant day here, 24°C and sunny with light winds, perfick

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s perked up a bit this afternoon, we’ve had a couple of hours of sun but temps have still struggled to just 17-18C. 

What we need are uppers of 17-18C, thankfully some output is starting to hint at that for freedom day. 31-33C oooh very pleasant! 

7433A973-4CB2-423A-B948-58B6A9DFD7E8.thumb.png.7313f4d7e9bb3009dcb44dd8f92bc179.png

Hopefully we are about to go through another spell like early June which was more than good enough to keep me satisfied.

Of course I won't mind if it decides to go real hot and morph into another August 2020 type evolution!

• Like 1