Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

I personally don't think it's been a bad summer so far IMBY, although admittedly I'm not a heat lover.  However, it's not like we have been in a 2007/2012 type pattern. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol we’ve not enjoyed summer yet. Wait at least for another 7 weeks before talking about the decline into winter.

These coldies are something else aren’t they lol.

Knowing our bonkers climate we will probably get 25c in mid November.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

June was a decent month here, these were the figures for my location:

Mean Temp: 15.3C (+0.9C)
Rainfall: 25.2mm (40%)
Sunshine: 209hrs (112%)

There weren't any really cool days either. In fact, the lowest maximum all month was 14.6C on the 30th which is actually the second highest in 41 years. There was only measurable rain on 8 days aswell.

The start of July hasnt been great but we're still running above average on temperature and sunshine and well below on rainfall for the summer overall.

The summer index stands at 216, which isn't half bad after the 'coolest' month of the summer.

• Like 2

Posted

I'd give summer here so far 9/10. It's been very sunny and warm since the beginning of June. The one downside is the lack of thunderstorms (they missed again today!), and although I've personally enjoyed the lack of rain and the usability it has provided, the ground does need some of the wet stuff pretty badly.

Meanwhile, some places in Slovakia didn't drop below 25C last night, ahead of the cold front advancing eastwards. Nitra bottomed out at 25.6C.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

With loads of cloud and no sun. Yeah a perfect summers day, not!

To work in...yep without a doubt. 

• Like 3

Posted

Interesting.  On the rain radar there is a large downpour just ENE of Wolverhampton. I am on the bus heading towards Wolverhampton and you can see the massive black cloud over to the right out the bus window. Hope it stays out there! 

Posted

Not been too bad here today- no rain at all, comfortably mild and some sun. Still some heavy clouds about and the weekend looks wet and rather dull - but I will grit my teeth and think of the following week where signs are now much more promising- fingers crossed!  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

The BBC weather app is incredibly pessimistic for my area normally so this is good news for just about everyone I’d say

31D06346-893D-453D-83E4-BDBF8B0EFA65.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Summer so far in Prague has been pretty decent, a solid 8/10. Plenty of warm weather, a fair amount of sunshine and also some crazy thunderstorms and generally exciting convective weather. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Very pleasant, acceptable summers day at 22c here after a cloudy, misty start.  Not had many of those this month so far.. Let's hope high pressure that keeps being signalled for 8-10 days out does actually happen at some point!

• Like 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

Pleasant conditions over in Moscow

I suspect the word pleasant wouldn't be used by the millions in non airconditioned single aspect apartments not able to get any air flow! A lot of folk are really suffering don't forget. Just as they do in extreme cold conditions.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suspect the word pleasant wouldn't be used by the millions in non airconditioned single aspect apartments not able to get any air flow! A lot of folk are really suffering don't forget. Just as they do in extreme cold conditions.

What a daft comment! 

Firstly Moscow is a pretty modern city, having been there three times with work I know that for a fact! Almost all of the remaining older communist apartment blocks having combined aircon / heaters. They deal far better with warmth, and I mean proper warmth like the Mid thirties than this country does despite having average summer temps only a degree above London, they’ll be loving what is a perfectly pleasant spell of weather. If you offered me a couple of weeks of 28C and overnight mins of 16-18C I would ask for anymore. 

Posted
15 minutes ago, Alderc said:

What a daft comment! 

Firstly Moscow is a pretty modern city, having been there three times with work I know that for a fact! Almost all of the remaining older communist apartment blocks having combined aircon / heaters. They deal far better with warmth, and I mean proper warmth like the Mid thirties than this country does despite having average summer temps only a degree above London, they’ll be loving what is a perfectly pleasant spell of weather. If you offered me a couple of weeks of 28C and overnight mins of 16-18C I would ask for anymore. 

Afraid your very wrong, i have several friends and 3 work colleges who work or live in both Moscow and just to the north east, they tell a very different story. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Very pleasant, acceptable summers day at 22c here after a cloudy, misty start.  Not had many of those this month so far.. Let's hope high pressure that keeps being signalled for 8-10 days out does actually happen at some point!

Yeah it was a perfectly decent day here as well, you don't need 30c and wall to wall sunshine for it to be a nice summers day IMO.

Days like that have been exceptionally rare, indeed for my location its only the 2nd such day for nearly a month, though I admit my location has been very unlucky at times to suffer from convective cloud overspill from nearby localised slow moving convective bands at points in the last 2 weeks where many other parts of the SE were sunny.

Edited by kold weather

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
9 hours ago, Azazel said:

Caught these two absolute units on the office wall today. Biggest I’ve ever seen in the U.K. 

9058BEE0-D534-4E48-8CC7-36A02B1C8A26.jpeg

Hard to tell how big they are in the photo.

9 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

With loads of cloud and no sun. Yeah a perfect summers day, not!

Still better than sweating your bottom off in 35C heat though.

9 hours ago, Wimbledon88 said:

Not UK related but I've been looking at the temperatures in Serbia, Albania, Macedonia etc recently. Absolutely bonkers. Nearly 40c every day for over a week now. 

Why is it if that was in the US /Canada or Aus certain parts of the media would be all over it. 

Yet, on our doorstep, in the grand scheme, not a word. 

Hmmm.....

I guess because those countries are more populated and English speaking?

8 hours ago, kold weather said:

image.thumb.png.baed92b2d16207a4c7520853bc76db26.png

I can see though why people in the north probably wouldn't have viewed as that extreme, given in was only really hot for maybe 2 days out of that period, otherwise it was warm but nothing too out of the ordinary. Still No denying that combined with the July 31st heat burst that got the 3rd warmest max ever it was still pretty exceptional

Yeah, it wasn’t that extreme here thankfully, just a couple of 30°C days in early August.

4 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

The BBC weather app is incredibly pessimistic for my area normally so this is good news for just about everyone I’d say

31D06346-893D-453D-83E4-BDBF8B0EFA65.png

10 pm sunset! The best thing about Northern Ireland summers. I’d take anything the bbc weather app (or any app for that matter) forecasts more than five days ahead with a huge bucketful of salt...

16 minutes ago, kold weather said:

Yeah it was a perfectly decent day here as well, you don't need 30c and wall to wall sunshine for it to be a nice summers day IMO.

Try telling that to some people on here though!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

Been a pleasant day here. Mostly cloudy with only two hours and 42 minutes of sunshine at the nearest weather station, but pleasantly warm with temperatures reaching 20°C during the afternoon. 

Went on a short walk plus a trip to the local shop this afternoon, was wearing shorts and t-shirt and perfectly comfortable, in fact by the time I got back I was quite warm as I have good circulation. Most other people in summery clothing too so they must have thought it’s warm too. 

The wind has also been light and the humidity a little higher with a low of 65% which has also made it feel warmer.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted
10 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Im so glad I live somewhere where the average July high is 20°C and not 30°C, where it is in so many parts of Europe, America and Australia. I honestly don’t think I could cope with the level of heat that they get.

I think to an extent you adapt to it if you live with it for a long time.

For example in this country during the summer heat of 2018 I kinda got used to maxes somewhere between 28-32c for a very long and sustained period, and it didn't actually feel that hot by the time we'd been going for a month. Even when it got to 35c before it broke down it didn't feel that oppressive really.

I'd imagine for your location to get that kind of sustained heat (1-2 months) must be pretty rare, though I guess spells of weather do get there, its just your much more prone to it being broken down like we saw in Aug 20 where the heat held in the south but somewhat broke for a few days up there.

10 hours ago, Don said:

I personally don't think it's been a bad summer so far IMBY, although admittedly I'm not a heat lover.  However, it's not like we have been in a 2007/2012 type pattern. 

True this summer has been better than last year so far. Thundery, sunny, and mostly warm. June 2020 was good, similar to 2021 here But July 2021 has been much better so far than last July 2020. July 2020 here was duller than July 2012, August 2008 too and nearly as dull as July 2000. So far the summer has surpassed 2020 in terms of warmth and sunshine imo. And the heavy rain that comes over now and then often makes the summer quite interesting as I don't like boring dry weather all the time.

• Like 3

Now that’s warm! Was lucky enough to experience 51C there in 2010. Meanwhile back here another likely zero out of ten weekend day. Light to moderate rain most of the day and we’ll be lucky to get past 16-17C. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

28F60BD4-A906-4C0B-8609-5D1A944F40EA.thumb.jpeg.9fddf6f68b69f5e8476069735258080e.jpeg

It went crazy here last night, as well as other parts of east anglia. Some monster storm cells developed, and the rain was something else. Monsoon like for about half an hour….seems to have been a lot of these across the country the last few weeks!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
7 hours ago, TM1400 said:

True this summer has been better than last year so far. Thundery, sunny, and mostly warm. June 2020 was good, similar to 2021 here But July 2021 has been much better so far than last July 2020. July 2020 here was duller than July 2012, August 2008 too and nearly as dull as July 2000. So far the summer has surpassed 2020 in terms of warmth and sunshine imo. And the heavy rain that comes over now and then often makes the summer quite interesting as I don't like boring dry weather all the time.

Down here this summer has been absolutely awful in comparison to last year, where it was warm sunny and dry throughout with some major hot spells. This year has been mostly cloudy and wet, but no thunderstorms, and my highest temp so far is 24c back in early June. Recent daytime maxes have been stuck under 20c for weeks except for yesterday. I'd much rather last year in my south coastal location.

• Like 1

Just in Bmth picking up some new glasses, the winter coats are out, people with bobble hats on. 13.6C when I left and now been raining for 7hrs….

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Just in Bmth picking up some new glasses, the winter coats are out, people with bobble hats on. 13.6C when I left and now been raining for 7hrs….

won't feel much different in 5-6 months from now, perhaps even a more tropical feel with the TM air

• Like 1

1 minute ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

won't feel much different in 5-6 months from now, perhaps even a more tropical feel with the TM air

Yup!