Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Weekends have been absolutely terrible this summer but you gotta be joking - Seriously this is a massive wind up?  8C below average on Sunday? 14C on the day that’s going to be the biggest booze up in history. I should be spending the afternoon down at one of the beach bars or large outdoor garden in Bournemouth but no it’ll be winter coat, jeans and looking for somewhere to light a log fire! Absolutely disgusting. 

EC36BA1E-4842-48A2-8CC6-1627D531A2D2.thumb.png.afed11a5680959aa944c88dac7e47f59.png

Truly shocking. I went up the pub Tuesday evening. I walked back down the road and the chill was quite depressing. I got back in my house and had to find a duvet out to warm up. This was the night when it was 13c here and 34c in Lapland. Absolute rubbish.

1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Truly shocking. I went up the pub Tuesday evening. I walked back down the road and the chill was quite depressing. I got back in my house and had to find a duvet out to warm up. This was the night when it was 13c here and 34c in Lapland. Absolute rubbish.

I know since the start of May we’ve probably had more days 4-8C below than in the five years combined. 

And before to those that will inevitably go ‘ignore those temps, it’ll never be that cold’ again and unfortunately the very low temps are modelled across ECM, GFS, ICON & Argepe and again this sort of utter trash has come off multiple times this summer. 

Also regarding the pushing back of the warmth, last weekend GFS for instance had 25-27C for this coming weekend, hence I want to see high pressure in the models 4-5days range, and that’s not it building over us, that’s it properly over us….

Posted
1 minute ago, Alderc said:

I know since the start of May we’ve probably had more days 4-8C below than in the five years combined. 

And before to those that will inevitably go ‘ignore those temps, it’ll never be that cold’ again and unfortunately the very low temps are modelled across ECM, GFS, ICON & Argepe and again this sort of utter trash has come off multiple times this summer. 

Also regarding the pushing back of the warmth, last weekend GFS for instance had 25-27C for this coming weekend, hence I want to see high pressure in the models 4-5days range, and that’s not it building over us, that’s it properly over us….

Yeah well you are probably more technically up on all that stuff than me. But I know when its crap . And it is now.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, Storms, and plenty of warm sunny days!

Beautiful day on the east coast today, 23c bright sunshine for most of the day, still pleasant now as the evening draws on,

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, DCee said:

Bloody awful summer so far, more like October, at best. That is fact.

Yep. Rubbish. 2 days got to 25c which is hardly a raging furnace. And you bet your life if high pressure does make a long awaited appearance next week it will last about 4 days and the next batch of crap will sweep in. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It was dry with sunny spells early and late in Lincoln today, cloudier in the afternoon due to stratocumulus infill.  I hear that there were some funnel clouds nearby but I didn't see them (though I can't get too greedy - I saw one back on 24 May).  It was warm enough - the University's weather station got to 23C.  Strangely, after a completely dry day, a shower has just come over now, after dark.  I remember the same thing happening a couple of times in April.

It all seems very odd that southern areas are having such a poor summer relative to the rest of the UK, despite the synoptics not always matching up with this (e.g. in a slack westerly, southern areas often get the driest, warmest and sunniest weather).

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Yep. Rubbish. 2 days got to 25c which is hardly a raging furnace. And you bet your life if high pressure does make a long awaited appearance next week it will last about 4 days and the next batch of crap will sweep in. 

This was my thought too!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
7 hours ago, AderynCoch said:

The forecast wasn't that far off in the end. It got to 36-37C at most local stations, with 37.6C at Slovenský Grob (just outside Bratislava). Elsewhere, Mužla "only" managed about 38C after such a hot start along with Hurbanovo (usually considered the hottest village in Slovakia - it holds the national record of 40.3C from July 2007). Certainly a very hot day.

A cold front is due to sweep through in the early hours bringing thunderstorms but the models keep flip-flopping on the amount of rain, sometimes showing none at all. The ground is absolutely parched at the moment. 

Funny that considering July 2007 was one of the worst summer months on record in the UK. Cold, cloudy and extremely wet! ?️

6 hours ago, markyo said:

Oh no, wouldn't have any problem what's so ever with that climate, literally perfect for me!

I guess that's where you and me differ. Torshavn's summers would be just as bad as a continental summer to me, not just becuase of the low temps but the constant gloom and rain would really get me down. As much as I hate the heat, I do like some warmth and sunshine in the summer ("warm" being low 20's for me). Torhavens record high is just 20C, so warm summer weather is virtually impossible up there let alone heat. Today's high of 20C (average for July here) would be considered a record breaking heatwave up there.

Average summer highs here are 18C for June, 20C for July and 19C for August which is about ideal for me.

2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Weekends have been absolutely terrible this summer but you gotta be joking - Seriously this is a massive wind up?  8C below average on Sunday? 14C on the day that’s going to be the biggest booze up in history. I should be spending the afternoon down at one of the beach bars or large outdoor garden in Bournemouth but no it’ll be winter coat, jeans and looking for somewhere to light a log fire! Absolutely disgusting. 

EC36BA1E-4842-48A2-8CC6-1627D531A2D2.thumb.png.afed11a5680959aa944c88dac7e47f59.png

General rule of thumb is that you can add 1 or 2 degrees to those charts (as they tend to undercook the temps slightly) so that gets you to 16C. Also that chart is for 6 pm, so the actual highest temperature will most likely occur earlier than that, so you could reach 17 or 18C. Get a bit of sun and it may get even higher!  So it's not that bad really... I swear you cherry pick the worst model runs to make it look worse than it is...

Doesn't look too bad here for NW England, showing 17/18C so probably 18/19C here, just slightly below average.

In any case, 14C is not winter coat weather, at least for me anyway, I'd usually wear a jumper/hoodie at that temp, probably not shorts though!  Has to be well into single digits for me to put a winter coat on.

1 hour ago, DCee said:

Bloody awful summer so far, more like October, at best. That is fact.

That's not a fact, that is your opinion.

I've had a look at the past weather for Cambridge in June, and it doesn't look too bad. There's the odd poor day, sure, but also plenty of sunny days in the low to mid 20's, esspecially during the first half of the month.

cityog.php?title=Past%20Weather%20in&tin
WWW.TIMEANDDATE.COM

Weather reports from June 2021 in Cambridge, England, United Kingdom with highs and lows

Also, looking at the UK climate anomaly maps from the met office, it shows that for June 2021, there was above average temperatures, near normal rainfall and average to slightly above average sunshine levels in the Cambridge area. 

I swear some people just love to moan about our weather just for the sake of it...

uk_actual_and_anomaly_maps.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Maps of climate variables for previous months, seasons and years

2021_6_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2021_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2021_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold

East Lancs last 24 Hours:

Max: 21C  Min: 11C

Weather: Mostly Sunny

Rain: 0 mm

Sun: 5 hrs 34 mins

Posted
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I swear some people just love to moan about our weather just for the sake of it...

uk_actual_and_anomaly_maps.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

Maps of climate variables for previous months, seasons and years

2021_6_MeanTemp_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2021_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

2021_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1981-2010.gif

As I said before I think the first 10 days went a VERY long way to mask what was a truly shocking period of weather for the SE from the 10th onwards. The fact we ended up being only near average despite wall to wall sunshine in the first 10 days is really quite telling on its own.

Anyway I live quite near the deepest possible blue on that chart above (we are just outside due to missing training convection on one particular day). 

Here this morning is only the 3rd (I've sadly been keeping track!) 'bright' start to the morning since the 15th of June. I've classed it as bright as there is alot of high cloud around which is giving that milky look. Hoping we can actually end up properly sunny later on.

The good news is the set-up at least looks somewhat better looking into the future. Doesn't look that warm, but as I've said before, even average and sunny would be quite an improvement from the last 3 weeks of weather down here!!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I guess that's where you and me differ. Torshavn's summers would be just as bad as a continental summer to me, not just becuase of the low temps but the constant gloom and rain would really get me down. As much as I hate the heat, I do like some warmth and sunshine in the summer ("warm" being low 20's for me). Torhavens record high is just 20C, so warm summer weather is virtually impossible up there let alone heat. Today's high of 20C (average for July here) would be considered a record breaking heatwave up there.

I agree. I can only tolerate sunshine in small amounts, don't mind a blue skied summers day(quite enjoy the change sometimes!) so long as i can stay indoors out of the direct sun. My time is certainly Autumn, lower light levels and i come alive, far more exercise, much more activity outside, in general i feel so much more healthy in mind and body. Hence Torhaven sounds perfect!!

• Like 1

Posted

I'm praying sunday isnt a total write-off. Watching the game outdoors Wednesday evening down the local was chilly enough. The pub brought out blankets at half time!

As for this morning, the 300th grey, overcast morning this year.

Posted

As bad as this summer can be in London, there have been worse.

The lack of sunshine has been a bigger issue, as it’s been warm enough at times, but I still need my light jacket to hand, while on other days just wearing a t shirt.

Worse London summer days in July 2004 where I remember it being only 14c and raining for a few days. 

July 1980 was dull and cool, with plenty of days in the 15-17c bracket, which is cold for high summer. 

1987 also had some cold days in July, even in London it was only 16c.

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

I'm praying sunday isnt a total write-off. Watching the game outdoors Wednesday evening down the local was chilly enough. The pub brought out blankets at half time!

My that is going some on the 9 th July!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

in Nov already?

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

in Nov already?

certainly feels like it with the way the weather has been

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

Honest ratings for the summer so far? I'd be interested in how the opinions of people further North differ from those of us down here. 

Totally subjective of course. For myself, how I rate a summer is on the number of warm and settled spells coupled with how many decent thunderstorms/Spanish Plumes there have been. I'd not lower the rating due to just one or two weeks of unsettled weather, but this summer has featured many of them and temps have been so underwhelming.

I'll give this one a 3/10 so far, and it's only that high due to the nice start to June.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot sunny summers, cold snowy winters
6 minutes ago, Lance M said:

Honest ratings for the summer so far? I'd be interested in how the opinions of people further North differ from those of us down here. 

Totally subjective of course. For myself, how I rate a summer is on the number of warm and settled spells coupled with how many decent thunderstorms/Spanish Plumes there have been. I'd not lower the rating due to just one or two weeks of unsettled weather, but this summer has featured many of them and temps have been so underwhelming.

I'll give this one a 3/10 so far, and it's only that high due to the nice start to June.

For my neck of the woods this summer hasnt been brilliant but nor has it been a shocker. I am an outdoorsy person and for the most part I have been able to do what I have wanted to without too much bother. So whilst the weather hasnt been a classic, it's been OK most of the time, and I have still been in shorts and t-shirt combo the majority of the days just occassionally requiring a hoodie.

I'll will give the summer up to this point a mediocre 5/10, its not likely to live long in the memory banks...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
17 minutes ago, Wynn D Woo said:

For my neck of the woods this summer hasnt been brilliant but nor has it been a shocker. I am an outdoorsy person and for the most part I have been able to do what I have wanted to without too much bother. So whilst the weather hasnt been a classic, it's been OK most of the time, and I have still been in shorts and t-shirt combo the majority of the days just occassionally requiring a hoodie.

I'll will give the summer up to this point a mediocre 5/10, its not likely to live long in the memory banks...

Just down the road from you and I’d agree. To me it’s felt a bit like September since about June 21st. Not autumnal but not summery either, with the odd nice day here and there.

July has some improving to do!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

4/10 here, unexceptional.

June here was warm and dry overall but the warmth was driven by minima during the main warm spell and since then June and the first third of July has been unremarkable, probably a little cooler and wetter than normal.

The most notable thing is the lack of 25C+ days here so far.

• Like 2