Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

For me, this is turning out to be the worst spring and summer since 2012. Yes, April this year was sunny but it was cool and we had frequent frosts; not at all good if you are a gardener. I think many people would be a lot happier if we had average sunshine, average temps, average rainfall etc. But blocking patterns seem to be coming more frequent.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted

Evidence of SE bias in media reporting 

"But UK residents may be startled to learn that despite the rain and cloud they experienced, it was the second warmest June on record for Europe."

_119295149_us_2_temp_getty.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

North America experienced its warmest June on record and experts say the figures are frightening.

It was the driest June for NW England since the war. The only region that had above average rainfall during June was SE England.

Edited by Weather-history
  • Like 2

Posted
23 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

For me, this is turning out to be the worst spring and summer since 2012. Yes, April this year was sunny but it was cool and we had frequent frosts; not at all good if you are a gardener. I think many people would be a lot happier if we had average sunshine, average temps, average rainfall etc. But blocking patterns seem to be coming more frequent.

Yes. Our block normally means high pressure to the west, east, north and south with a huge low plonked on top of the UK! 

• Like 2

Posted

I just went out for a jog down Baggeridge country park which I am lucky enough to live close to. Beautiful area of trails, lakes, ponds, a cafe and a golf course down by Himley Hall. Any way. Started off in pleasant enough sunny spells and finished the last 20 mins in a downpour of biblical proportions.  The water coming over the top of my trainers in places! Gone back to sunny spells now and I'm glad to say a notch or two warmer than yesterday.

• Like 1

Posted

Still cloudy down here, we've had a splattering of blue sky, but similar to yesterday it looks like the sunnier periods will be as the sun sets. Already loosing 90secs a day of sunlight! Amazing to think that in just a couple of weeks we will be facing 9pm sunset times, summer continues to fade .... 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I don’t understand how so many people think this is acceptable weather for the middle of summer. Lol.

A co worker said to me the other day, ‘nice summers day’ and I said this isn’t summer mate. It’s a travesty just how bad it really is. 

Maybe becuase most people are just more in tune with our climate and have more realistic expectations maybe?

5 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

100% this. It is not primarily about the the heat. When the cooler weather lovers say "I'd rather it be 16c than 30c" this overlooks the main point of contention with this weather, which is the sheer lack of sun / light. I genuinely cannot remember the last time I woke up to a truly sunny, warm and clear morning, which for this time of year in the South is truly shocking. 

I'm honestly not massively fussed about London reaching those 30c temps...but I want sun during summer for God sake, not endless grey cloud from dawn till dusk. 

If it was 20-23C and sunny everyday then I bet 99% of people would be satisfied, heat/sun lovers and cool weather lovers alike. It would be a great compromise that suits everyone. I can't think of a summer like that that has happened in the UK though, not in London anyway. It's either high 20's/low 30's and sunny, or low 20's and cloudy/damp. And there is the problem. 

The South West of England (Cornwall and esspecially the English Riveria) has the best climate if you want lots of sunny days in the high teens or low twenties. Sure, they get more rain than the SE, but that aside, they are one of the sunniest parts of the UK with around 1700 hours per year.

3 hours ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Perhaps. But the last few years we have had legitimately decent summers (near London at least). Last year had pretty much an undisputed warm period all the way from April to Oct. 2017, 2018 and 2019 were also decent summers overall. It just seems that our climate nowadays is so utterly random one year to the next. And let's consider that the winter solstice for this year was about the same temperature as the summer solstice! 

I think the problem is that Londonders have been spoilt too much in recent years. I remember being on another forum in 2017, and the people from the SE were constantly boasting "oh another lovely day in London, we really are being spolit this year" while I got mid-teens temps and lots of rain. It got really irritating actually, the tables had to turn at some point, good luck runs out sooner or later...

I'm sure London will be back to mid 20's and sunny next summer, while I will be mainly cloudy, damp and in the mid teens...

2 hours ago, Frigid said:

In my area, Summer 2020 wasn't even that bad. Had a lot of variety I would say. June thunderstorms, then a few days of warmth. July was cool but ended up with record heat which leeched into the first half of August. End of August had some very cool nights. Imo last summer had something for everyone whether it be thunderstorms or heatwaves. Let's not forget that b4 Summer 2020 we had the sunniest spring on record. 

2021 has been a huge contrast. A much colder and duller year I would say so far. 

I disagree. I'm only about 30 miles north of Manchester, and Summer 2020 was pretty poor in my book. It was unseasonably cold in the first half of June 2020, then turned extremely hot in the closing days of June, then went extremely wet and cool again, July was the worst for years, just two days that reached 20C here!  Average high a mere 17C!   Very cloudy and wet month too. August 2020 was the best month of the summer but even that month was bad at times with two named storms and again went unseasonably cold at the end of the month.

1 hour ago, stainesbloke said:

That, in a nutshell, is the main problem with the British climate. The huge amounts of pointless cloud and grey gloom. If it were sunnier, it wouldn’t be too bad a climate. But it’s ruined by this one thing.

Yes, I agree in a way. Those dull cloudy days don't feel summery at all and they are depressing, even for me . If we could keep the same temps, make it a bit drier and chuck in an extra 500 hours of sunshine a year then the british climate would be awesome.

One of my favourite climates is Eureka in California. High of only 17.4C in July and 17.9C in August, but over 2,400 hours of sunshine a year, with well over 200 hours per month in the summer, and extremely dry in the summer as well. Despite the cool temps, the strong uv levels and high humidity probably make it feel warmer than the temp suggests. Thier summers would be like April 2020 in London, whilst thier winters would be like a very wet November in the South.

Here is the forecast for Eureka: 

og-image.png
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

14-day weather forecast for Eureka (CA).

Plenty of sunshine, very high uv (so you'll tan in no time), no rain but not scorching hot, whats not to like?

43 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes I agree, most people would be happy if we just had average temps, sunshine and rainfall every month. It would be a lot more boring, but I bet there would be a lot less moaning going on as well...

27 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Evidence of SE bias in media reporting 

"But UK residents may be startled to learn that despite the rain and cloud they experienced, it was the second warmest June on record for Europe."

_119295149_us_2_temp_getty.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

North America experienced its warmest June on record and experts say the figures are frightening.

It was the driest June for NW England since the war. The only region that had above average rainfall during June was SE England.

Yes, it is annoying the extreme SE bias the media has. It's as if anywhere outside the M25 doesn't exist.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: continental climate

My dogs have given up on this heatwave 30C indoors is too much

IMG_20210707_152324.jpg

IMG_20210707_152713.jpg

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow
37 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

The South West of England (Cornwall and esspecially the English Riveria) has the best climate if you want lots of sunny days in the high teens or low twenties. Sure, they get more rain than the SE, but that aside, they are one of the sunniest parts of the UK with around 1700 hours per year.

They and the coastline where I live between bognor and Eastbourne boasts the sunniest climate in the UK. But this year ive never known it to be so cloudy for weeks on end, this is a first for me. 

• Like 2

Posted

Very medicore day here. Mostly Cloudy, Gentle Westerly Breeze, and 19C.

Posted

July has been very wet with thundery downpours since Saturday ⛈ 
Today is cool and showery but tomorrow looks average.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

There has not even been the excitement of heavy thundery showers here like elsewhere, just cloud and drizzle, 19c though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It really is chucking it down out there at the moment in my neck of the woods. Thankfully, my area isn't prone to flooding.

Posted
54 minutes ago, jules216 said:

My dogs have given up on this heatwave 30C indoors is too much

IMG_20210707_152324.jpg

IMG_20210707_152713.jpg

Posts like this make me glad I live in the UK!

Here at the moment...

A pleasant 19°C outside and a comfortable 22°C indoors.

I feel so sorry for Europeans with the excessive heat they have to endure in the summer, and even in SE England sometimes.

Thank god I live in NW England! 

Thankfully in the UK we don’t get extreme heat or extreme cold very often, especially here in the NW.

855334EB-47E6-44B3-B6EF-C90A7214CBA2.jpeg

DDDFBA3C-2355-4C36-AD86-BF02FED9AB8F.jpeg

14E8213E-AE47-45A8-960A-40957E9FD41D.jpeg

F76606EA-5966-437C-9299-5537DF6CDB41.jpeg

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
15 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

F76606EA-5966-437C-9299-5537DF6CDB41.jpeg

A very cute kitty. Looks just like the late cat who adopted us 16 years ago. I loved him as if he was my own.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 1

Posted
4 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

A very cute kitty. Looks just like the late cat who adopted us 16 years ago. I loved him as if he was my own.

Thanks. He’s actually not mine, but he likes to come in and go on my bed for a snooze. All afternoon... Then sometimes he asks for his tea. Or goes to his owners house for tea.. Then patrols outside all night. Sometimes I hear him howling at other Tom cats in the middle of night... Then comes in again the next day. 

Ahhhhhh the life of a Tom cat.  

• Like 1

Posted

Weather in San Francisco for the next 10 days...

High teens/low 20's by day, mid teens at night, Mostly Sunny. Perfect don't you think? Bit breezy perhaps, but even so it should feel very pleasant in the strong california sun.

San Francisco (despite it's bad reputation) has the best summers in the world imo! 

San Francisco Weather - July 2021.png

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Another weekend approaches. As does another crappy low pressure system. But apparently from Wednesday next week (the day I go back to work after some leave) it all settles down .Just had a look at the European temperatures and there is a wall of heat just to the east of Sacandinavia all the way down to Spain. In fact where it has been since May really. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Weather in San Francisco for the next 7 days.

High teens/low 20's by day, mid teens at night, Mostly Sunny. Perfect don't you think? Bit breezy perhaps, but even so it should feel very pleasant in the strong california sun.

Well compared to the utter rubbish we have had here for the last 3 weeks I would certainly take that !

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Another weekend approaches. As does another crappy low pressure system. But apparently from Wednesday next week (the day I go back to work after some leave) it all settles down .Just had a look at the European temperatures and there is a wall of heat just to the east of Sacandinavia all the way down to Spain. In fact where it has been since May really. 

Yep the sun will come out again as soon as you go back to work!  The weather gods are being very mischevious this year... ;)

• Like 1

Posted
26 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

We need some heat and sunshine.

I can’t wait to head to Latvian and see the in laws. They are having a better summer over there. Lots of days of high 20s, lovely.

SE England hasn’t had a lot of heat this year, and I don’t know why the anti-heat folk keep going on about how uncomfortable it is, even in the absence of any hot weather lol.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
27 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

San Francisco (despite it's bad reputation) has the best summers in the world imo! 

have to agree on the best summer weather...the summers months are very dry with average highs from June to end of October of 22c ..just perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yep the sun will come out again as soon as you go back to work!  The weather gods are being very mischevious this year...

I think my prediction was right earlier in the year when I said we won’t reach 35c or even 32c this summer.

• Like 2

Posted

I was in San Fran in October 2014. It was actually quite hot for a few days, with temps around 30-32c, and although the nights were warm, they didn’t feel humid.

Maybe that was because it was late in the year, but the same thing happened in Chicago. October 2010 was 27-29c in the early part of that month, and while it felt hot in Chicago, I didn’t find myself sweating.

Perhaps the lakeshore air made it feel less humid, or because the air was more dry in October. Strange.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
57 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It doesn't always stay that way though. If you look back on records they have a few days a month when it can get very hot pretty quick. It was nudging 40C there last year. 

image.thumb.png.ad2d5c9625e09c0daa436490188d2fe0.png

image.thumb.png.403e147a878753095b5afb16adcec03b.png

• Like 1

Posted
46 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think my prediction was right earlier in the year when I said we won’t reach 35c or even 32c this summer.

Hope you’re right!  In fact I hope nowhere in the U.K. records 30°C this summer simply because it hasn’t happened for such a long time (not since 1993 I believe). It will also give the people with outdoor jobs a welcome break from the annual 30-38°C heat we get every year now.

12 minutes ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It doesn't always stay that way though. If you look back on records they have a few days a month when it can get very hot pretty quick. It was nudging 40C there last year. 

image.thumb.png.ad2d5c9625e09c0daa436490188d2fe0.png

image.thumb.png.403e147a878753095b5afb16adcec03b.png

I didn’t realise that. I check the weather for San Francisco and Eureka quite regularly and don’t remember any heatwaves last year. But the stats don’t lie. But even the most temperate place is liable to extreme heat waves occasionally. Like never screamer posted yesterday even Lapland recorded 33°C on Monday. So nowhere is safe from the heat. Unless you live on a remote island somewhere like the Faroe Islands (Torshavn record highest temp there is 20°C, but who’d want a Faroe Islands summer (except for Markyo)...