Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
4 hours ago, Stabilo19 said:

Wet, windy and cool. Is it July or April? 

No sign of "proper" heat or settled weather in the modelling - don't forget the avg. high for London now is 23.5°C! This is a really poor summer so far IMO. 

Yes, this is truly terrible temps and weather for July in London / South-East England. I would not even say his is April, tbh. Generally in London April is much more pleasant than this. This is more like November or could be March.

I might expect this weather for July in the Faroe Islands, the Scottish Highlands, or even the North-West of England, but not down here... Honestly don't know what is up with the weather this year in the South. Outside of that random (and somewhat uncomfortable in it's suddenness) burst of heat in early June, it seems to be perpetually cool and wet and not budging from that, outside of the odd day (or more like half-day) where there's a few hours of sun. This current trend into Summer very much follows the trend of Spring which was generally much cooler and wetter than average. This is compounded ofc by the fact that we cannot go on holiday or travel to warmer climes (or at least, not without great difficulty and ridiculous prices). We are trapped here to endure what has possibly been one of the most dire periods of weather from April to July in London that I've ever seen.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: An Alpine climate - snowy winters and sunny summers
39 minutes ago, Bigdaddydave51 said:

I'm no expert, just a casual observer, but I looked earlier at the European cities, and we seem depressingly to be the only ones, getting such appalling weather!. Moscow next ten days?. Between 29-32c.MOSCOW!.

Welcome to Netweather Bdd51.

With Russia on the Amber List and the Government hinting at abolishing the need for quarantine on return (for folk with 2 jabs), Moscow could be an attractive option for a holiday in the sun! 

Edited by Blessed Weather
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
40 minutes ago, Bigdaddydave51 said:

I'm no expert, just a casual observer, but I looked earlier at the European cities, and we seem depressingly to be the only ones, getting such appalling weather!. Moscow next ten days?. Between 29-32c.MOSCOW!.

This is often the case with Russia, alongside places like Finland, Sweden and the Baltics (which are all generally associated with 'worse' weather than the UK). They will generally get far more pleasant Summers and sustainable periods of actual warmth (not just 2 or 3 days of 25 - 30c which causes all the British mass media companies to start screeching "heatwave!" and "Spanish plume!"), because they are fortunately situated beyond the main reach of the gulfstream and its accompanying woes. 

These countries / cities do of course have far more brutal winters than we do, but IMO this is a fair price to pay for an enjoyable Summer where you can actually go outside and do things, and more importantly, make plans in advance, without a 50/50 coinflip of said plans being completely ruined by some random torrential downpour that the Met Office didn't predict until the night before or even the morning of. 

Edited by In Absence of True Seasons
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 hours ago, MP-R said:

And not forgetting the fine, warm and sunny spell between the 20th and 28th August. That was a very good bank holiday period.

Yes we reached 30C in the last week of August here in 2019. I can't find another example of that in the records. Even 1995 and 1997 didn't manage it.

Posted
1 hour ago, In Absence of True Seasons said:

Yes, this is truly terrible temps and weather for July in London / South-East England. I would not even say his is April, tbh. Generally in London April is much more pleasant than this. This is more like November or could be March.

I might expect this weather for July in the Faroe Islands, the Scottish Highlands, or even the North-West of England, but not down here... Honestly don't know what is up with the weather this year in the South. Outside of that random (and somewhat uncomfortable in it's suddenness) burst of heat in early June, it seems to be perpetually cool and wet and not budging from that, outside of the odd day (or more like half-day) where there's a few hours of sun. This current trend into Summer very much follows the trend of Spring which was generally much cooler and wetter than average. This is compounded ofc by the fact that we cannot go on holiday or travel to warmer climes (or at least, not without great difficulty and ridiculous prices). We are trapped here to endure what has possibly been one of the most dire periods of weather from April to July in London that I've ever seen.

I posted on here last week that the summer solstice was colder than the winter solstice and met office stats showed that yo be true in parts of the south. It is bizarre. I looked at the GFS chart and the entire Northern Hemisphere is basking in warm temps apart from only one place. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I looked at the GFS chart and the entire Northern Hemisphere is basking in warm temps apart from only one place. 

This happens exactly the same in Winter months but the flip of now. UK Winters and cold suffer the same fate!

Posted
1 minute ago, markyo said:

This happens exactly the same in Winter months but the flip of now. UK Winters and cold suffer the same fate!

That's true chap . It seems to me over the last 25 years it doesn't matter if its January , May, July or October.  It's just the same old mediocre dross! Eg. Wet windy and dull.

• Like 1

Posted

There are severe heatwaves worldwide this summer. USA, Canada, Russia, Sweden and Finland, etc.

We are one of the only areas of poor weather. The only other areas are southern Norway, western France and the north coast of Spain.

I can’t believe how cool the north coast of Spain is. Who’d have thought it would be one of the coolest areas of Europe?? 

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

There are severe heatwaves worldwide this summer. USA, Canada, Russia, Sweden and Finland, etc.

We are one of the only areas of poor weather. The only other areas are southern Norway, western France and the north coast of Spain.

I can’t believe how cool the north coast of Spain is. Who’d have thought it would be one of the coolest areas of Europe?? 

I stand corrected.

Goodness me the model output is absolutely terrible this evening. Going to be hard to stop this being the worst summer since 2012. We going to be heading for at least a month without recording 25C, absolutely terrible mid June to mid July…

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Goodness me the model output is absolutely terrible this evening. Going to be hard to stop this being the worst summer since 2012. We going to be heading for at least a month without recording 25C, absolutely terrible mid June to mid July…

I've given up.  Was hoping to get away to the Ashes in December. But with Australia in lockdown I cant see that happening. We are doomed . Doomed! 

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

July overrated, this time of year, more so from the week after Wimbledon is when the Atlantic dominates, models seem average/normal to me

Edited by I remember Atlantic 252

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
33 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I posted on here last week that the summer solstice was colder than the winter solstice and met office stats showed that yo be true in parts of the south. It is bizarre. I looked at the GFS chart and the entire Northern Hemisphere is basking in warm temps apart from only one place. 

No prizes for guessing where that is! 

Posted

Turned out into a fairly OK day here, currently sunny intervals, breezy and 17C. ⛅ 

Posted
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Heating on, slippers on. Just made a hot chocolate! 17C but just cold, blustery and damp. 

Had my slippers and onesie on today. Felt nice and cosy! No heating on though, we're not that soft up here!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

Turned out into a fairly OK day here, currently sunny intervals, breezy and 17C. ⛅ 

Yeah not a complete washout here. The large golden thing in the sky made an appearance this afternoon. Just a brief light shower in my locality about 4.30pm. Not very warm though. Coat weather. Forget the shorts!

3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

July overrated, this time of year, more so from the week after Wimbledon is when the Atlantic dominates, models seem average/normal to me

Can’t say July is overrated in the south given parts have averaged 25C over the last 8years. 

Posted

For the people moaning about the lack of heat in the UK, I know I'm in the minority here but I am very grateful for our cool summers, average high temp in the south in July and August is around 21/22C which is perfect imo. I am glad we don't have the hot summers and extreme temperatures that other countires have to put up with.

If it was 30C and sunny everyday in the summer I think I'd go mental! 

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Can’t say July is overrated in the south given parts have averaged 25C over the last 8years. 

Some on this forum expect 25 and full sun, all day every day, we are Atlantic island on gulf stream, if it's dry or even not full washout, then I'll settle for it, Atlantic air and low pressure W'lys are our normal setup from around 1 July to 31 Aug

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

We are one of the only areas of poor weather.

Poor weather is a severe heatwave for goodness sake!! What else is it? Your post doesn't make sense

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'm in the pub and they have the front door open. The breeze blowing in. My feet are literally turning to ice blocks. July 6th. UK. 

I suspect you have a medical issue with your feet then, not being funny in any way, far from it. But that sounds wrong.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1