Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
1 hour ago, Azazel said:

Oh I remember it alright, it was abysmal. Doesn't mean this spring/summer hasn't also been abysmal. It's been so horrendously cloudy for days and days on end - I'm back on the vitamin D tabs - something I wanted to stay off until the end of september.

Edit: To add to the above. ZERO convective weather whatsoever in my neck of the woods. 

In isolation, this summer so far may have been acceptable (though extremely disappointing) had the spring not been an absolute abomination.

I can't argue about the spring to be honest- one of the worst Mays I can remember. April was sunny but far too chilly for much of the month. I think up here we had a much better June overall which has made up for it to some degree

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

At RAF Waddington June was warm and quite dry with average sunshine - it seems that the sunny first half and dull second half counterbalanced each other, but the dull second half did get depressing at times.  The outlook for the next several days is for sunshine and scattered thundery showers and becoming moderately warm with max temperatures in the low 20s after a fairly cool breezy day today, so I won't be complaining too much.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Wet, windy and cool. Is it July or April? 

No sign of "proper" heat or settled weather in the modelling - don't forget the avg. high for London now is 23.5°C! This is a really poor summer so far IMO. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
19 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

Wet, windy and cool. Is it July or April? 

No sign of "proper" heat or settled weather in the modelling - don't forget the avg. high for London now is 23.5°C! This is a really poor summer so far IMO. 

The 91-20 summer averages for London now are actually 21.6c for June, 23.9c for July and 23.4c for August.

Maybe the 2nd half of July and August will offer an improvement, as happened in 2016, 2019 and 2020.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Proper winter/Proper summer

Happy to report an above average summer in this part of the world. Only 3 wet days in a month. It’s looking dry in the outlook too so I’m happy. There hasn’t been any scorching weather but I’m happy with low twenties anyway. Need to buy more shorts now

4E6C0B8D-1233-4B6A-AA2E-14A434EA2021.jpeg

• Thanks 1

Posted
22 minutes ago, Northwest NI said:

Happy to report an above average summer in this part of the world. Only 3 wet days in a month. It’s looking dry in the outlook too so I’m happy. There hasn’t been any scorching weather but I’m happy with low twenties anyway. Need to buy more shorts now

Been pretty good up here. Actually having to water the grass which I have never done before.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Been pretty good up here. Actually having to water the grass which I have never done before.

2018?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, B87 said:

The 91-20 summer averages for London now are actually 21.6c for June, 23.9c for July and 23.4c for August.

Maybe the 2nd half of July and August will offer an improvement, as happened in 2016, 2019 and 2020.

2019 and 2020 are not splendid examples.

Summer 2019 had a good core period 20th June-10th August but was poor either side albeit worse in June than August.

Last summer actually had a nice if thundery June with the warm August so it was not really a summer of two halves. 

Of those that got better as they went along then yes, 2016, 2013, 2012 (albeit from very bad to average) are the best examples.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
10 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

2019 and 2020 are not splendid examples.

Summer 2019 had a good core period 20th June-10th August but was poor either side albeit worse in June than August.

And not forgetting the fine, warm and sunny spell between the 20th and 28th August. That was a very good bank holiday period.

Edited by MP-R

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

Obviously it would be a bit dramatic to write any summer off at this stage as you do have the likes of those mentioned above. Let's also not forget the decent first half of June. 

If things improve mid July and stay improved it'll go down as reasonable with a middle blip (like 2009).

However every time the models push back nicer weather, you're eating into prime time. I really want my prediction to be wrong but at this rate...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

I ran a 10km in 45mins round the golf course at furnance creek, Death Valley when it was 43C about 9am. Was tough but nothing overly excessive. 

Well you have a lot higher heat tolerance than most people!  Just goes to show we're all different. At the other extreme I've seen people running in shorts and a t-shirt with ice on the ground!

5 hours ago, markyo said:

I do it virtually every working day during summer months, it is the humidity as well that is the most disabling, so my view is a bit twisted by that i agree. 35 to 40c with 99 to 100% (forced) humidity is not nice.

As I've said before you have one of the worst (if not the worst) jobs for someone who hates heat! Bet you'd love it if they turned the heat down by 10C!

5 hours ago, Evening thunder said:

Just shows how different we all are. I'd choose to run early in the morning when cool, even in UK summers. If I chose to run at mid day on a warm/hot UK day many people I know would probably think I was silly. Can't imagine doing it at 43C.

I'd go for 16C over 40C for anything other than meteorological interest (or a day in/by water). If that temperature was forecast in the UK, I'd probably egg it on for the rarity and experience/interest (for one day).

I was actually comfortable enough working outside yesterday at 16C, and that was not intense labour. 
My colleagues even found it a bit above their ideal comfort levels at 23C and sunny last week. Favourite temperature of my boss is quoted as 18C and sunny.

I'm sure most would choose 16C over 40C. However I expect many would choose 25C and sunny in summer if that was an option.

Well there's the thing, most of us can't pick and choose when we work, and most work places (at least in the UK) don't have air conditioning. 

I agree. 18-22C and sunny is perfect summer weather for me. 

5 hours ago, weatherguru14 said:

Worse day of the summer so far here....yes we've had days of rain. but its never felt cold. Today is an exception.

Yeah it's not great is it? Light rain, overcast and just 13C currently.

2 hours ago, B87 said:

Too high! Would be ideal if they were 2C lower. Guess that's global warming for you.

2 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

You can have some of mine if you want, I've got too many!

16 minutes ago, MP-R said:

And not forgetting the fine, warm and sunny spell between the 20th and 28th August. That was a very good bank holiday period.

That period was awful in my opinion. High 20's temps, baking hot sunshine, yet freezing cold at night. No thanks. I also had an awful cold at the time as well!  The best month of that summer was July 2019, when I had a lot of days that were in the low 20's and sunny.

• Like 2

Posted

Not a great day today. Overcast, light rain, breezy, and according to my computer, currently just 13C. ?️ Still would rather have that than 30C heat imo.

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Heating on, slippers on. Just made a hot chocolate! 17C but just cold, blustery and damp. 

Sounds good to me! Just put on a boxset and you're good to go!

• Like 2

Posted

17.5 degrees and bright here. Just Ok, but decent enough to repaint a metal garden table & chair set.

Edited by Northwest NI

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
16 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Heating on, slippers on. Just made a hot chocolate! 17C but just cold, blustery and damp. 

It is nowhere near cold enough for me to put the heating on (which unfortunately makes drying laundry difficult when it rains every day), but the number of times this summer (and May) I have needed the lights on indoors in the morning and early afternoon is ridiculous. It might as well be December with the incessant dullness. Heavens just opened again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
32 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

That period was awful in my opinion. High 20's temps, baking hot sunshine, yet freezing cold at night. No thanks. I also had an awful cold at the time as well!  The best month of that summer was July 2019, when I had a lot of days that were in the low 20's and sunny.

Surely that’s the best combination lol, proper summer by day but cool enough for good sleep at night!

Anyway, a quick scan of Bradford’s weather on those dates shows maxima of 23-27C and minima of 14-15C during that period. Hardly baking or freezing...

• Like 1

Posted
14 minutes ago, al78 said:

It is nowhere near cold enough for me to put the heating on (which unfortunately makes drying laundry difficult when it rains every day), but the number of times this summer (and May) I have needed the lights on indoors in the morning and early afternoon is ridiculous. It might as well be December with the incessant dullness. Heavens just opened again.

Haven't needed the lights on here during the day yet this summer so that's a good sign the summer up here has been good!

Posted

Sounds like this amatuer weather forecaster was a bit drunk when he did his forecast!  

Posted

Radar shows showers approaching buy an otherwise lovely day. No heat in sight.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

23-27c is the ideal warmth, but for high summer I do enjoy 25-27c. 28-29c is where it starts to feel a little too hot, and evenings remain humid usually. We had a few days like that at the start of June, but all this damp cloudy and rainy weather is quite depressing for the middle of summer.

I hope we have another hot spell before summer is out. This damp cloudy rubbish is what makes me want to stay inside. The rain stops me from going out. 

This is exactly how I feel. I want to go out as it's supposed to be summer! But seriously who wants to be out in cold. cloudy,it will rain at any minute! mank!

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, Azazel said:

Oh I remember it alright, it was abysmal. Doesn't mean this spring/summer hasn't also been abysmal. It's been so horrendously cloudy for days and days on end - I'm back on the vitamin D tabs - something I wanted to stay off until the end of september.

Edit: To add to the above. ZERO convective weather whatsoever in my neck of the woods. 

In isolation, this summer so far may have been acceptable (though extremely disappointing) had the spring not been an absolute abomination.

That's the thing isn't it. The lack of a sunny spring then into no sun in summer. It's ok for those up north who have seen sun for weeks on end to think we are stupid. But the constant dark cloud really drags you down mentally

• Like 3

Posted
52 minutes ago, al78 said:

Agree! I refuse to put laundry inside though so I'm hanging it out in the rain! Leave stuff in thats important to dry but the rest of it can stay there till the sun comes! I'm not having more wet washing over the house this time of year. Pees me off enough over winter!