Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Just seen Louise Lear BBC weather on the extended weather outlook (9.55pm News 24).  The jet stream is to move north next week so by 'late next week' - 15th July?  a large high pressure set to move in . She also displayed a symbol with 25c on it.  Dont shoot the messenger! 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
48 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Notable that the models now take us to the half way mark of summer without 30C. Do we know if there has been a summer since 2012 to make it this far.

I'm actually hoping we don't reach 30C in the UK this summer just becuase it's so unusual.

36 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

There were more excess deaths during Winter 2019/2020..

Either way, this heat vs cold deaths argument comes out every single year, it becomes very tiresome.

Really?? Do you have the stats?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Really?? Do you have the stats?

Google is your friend.

Even with the increase of deaths during heatwaves, Winter deaths nearly always exceed those in Summer.

Posted
2 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Google is your friend.

Even with the increase of deaths during heatwaves, Winter deaths nearly always exceed those in Summer.

Well yes if you include things like flu and covid etc then winter deaths will always be higher. But I was thinking more in terms of heat related deaths (eg heat exhaustion, dehydration) vs cold related deaths (hypotermia, lukemia etc).

Posted
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

Well yes if you include things like flu and covid 

No. That was not added in to it.

As I mentioned, use Google.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn, winter, snow, and thunderstorms.
11 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

No. That was not added in to it.

As I mentioned, use Google.

So you’ve made a statement you can’t qualify? Good job.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Vansvansvans said:

So you’ve made a statement you can’t qualify? Good job.

No, I haven't. Go and look it up on ons.gov.uk for yourself.

Thanks.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally don't understand how anybody can say that they would be perfectly happy with 40 Celsius temps in this country. Sure, if you are located in somewhere like Australia or Northern Africa then it is no big deal as those countries have the infrastructure for such temps; plus they don't get the relatively high humidity like we do. I agree that 17 Celsius at this time of the year is rather poor, but that doesn't take away the fact that 40 Celsius would be just about unbearble. I think that around 30 Celsius is more than enough when it comes to sunbathing, barbeques etc. ☀️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Just seen Louise Lear BBC weather on the extended weather outlook (9.55pm News 24).  The jet stream is to move north next week so by 'late next week' - 15th July?  a large high pressure set to move in . She also displayed a symbol with 25c on it.  Dont shoot the messenger! 

Sometimes the BBC look too far ahead I feel. 10 days is a long time and there have been many an occasion they have made a u-turn in next day long range look ahead. Far too many.

At this time of year they do it alot as the school holidays approach. I sometimes wonder if the government are influencing them.. say something positive so people will holiday here.. well this year looks like they have no choice! 

In the winter they are always a day behind the trend as well..

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
53 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I personally don't understand how anybody can say that they would be perfectly happy with 40 Celsius temps in this country. Sure, if you are located in somewhere like Australia or Northern Africa then it is no big deal as those countries have the infrastructure for such temps; plus they don't get the relatively high humidity like we do. I agree that 17 Celsius at this time of the year is rather poor, but that doesn't take away the fact that 40 Celsius would be just about unbearble. I think that around 30 Celsius is more than enough when it comes to sunbathing, barbeques etc. ☀️

I agree. We do not have the infrastructure for those temps. We lack cool houses, air con, shady places (ie canopies etc), swimming pools not to mention we are not acclimatised to such heat.  I hate the heat. Anything above 25°C and I stay indoors if possible.

• Like 2

Posted

Hearing heavy rain it sounds quite nice calm before storm, not weather what you expect in July.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
On 04/07/2021 at 22:44, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I would prefer 40c to 16c and insipdic cold rubbish.

Try working in 40c...that will change your mind

• Like 5

22 minutes ago, markyo said:

Try working in 40c...that will change your mind

I ran a 10km in 45mins round the golf course at furnance creek, Death Valley when it was 43C about 9am. Was tough but nothing overly excessive. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I agree. We do not have the infrastructure for those temps. We lack cool houses, air con, shady places (ie canopies etc), swimming pools not to mention we are not acclimatised to such heat.  I hate the heat. Anything above 25°C and I stay indoors if possible.

23-27c is the ideal warmth, but for high summer I do enjoy 25-27c. 28-29c is where it starts to feel a little too hot, and evenings remain humid usually. We had a few days like that at the start of June, but all this damp cloudy and rainy weather is quite depressing for the middle of summer.

I hope we have another hot spell before summer is out. This damp cloudy rubbish is what makes me want to stay inside. The rain stops me from going out. 

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'm not sure you should be working in 40c , it is unsafe. 

I do it virtually every working day during summer months, it is the humidity as well that is the most disabling, so my view is a bit twisted by that i agree. 35 to 40c with 99 to 100% (forced) humidity is not nice.

• Like 2

Posted

most abysmal spring I can ever remember followed up by one of the most abysmal summers I can ever recall. Lovely stuff.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted

Just shows how different we all are. I'd choose to run early in the morning when cool, even in UK summers. If I chose to run at mid day on a warm/hot UK day many people I know would probably think I was silly. Can't imagine doing it at 43C.

I'd go for 16C over 40C for anything other than meteorological interest (or a day in/by water). If that temperature was forecast in the UK, I'd probably egg it on for the rarity and experience/interest (for one day).

I was actually comfortable enough working outside yesterday at 16C, and that was not intense labour. 
My colleagues even found it a bit above their ideal comfort levels at 23C and sunny last week. Favourite temperature of my boss is quoted as 18C and sunny.

I'm sure most would choose 16C over 40C. However I expect many would choose 25C and sunny in summer if that was an option.

14 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'm not sure you should be working in 40c , it is unsafe. 

Well there's the thing, most of us can't pick and choose when we work, and most work places (at least in the UK) don't have air conditioning. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

Just shows how different we all are. I'd choose to run early in the morning when cool, even in UK summers. If I chose to run at mid day on a warm/hot UK day many people I know would probably think I was silly. Can't imagine doing it at 43C.

I'd go for 16C over 40C for anything other than meteorological interest (or a day in/by water). If that temperature was forecast in the UK, I'd probably egg it on for the rarity and experience/interest (for one day).

I was actually comfortable enough working outside yesterday at 16C, and that was not intense labour. 
My colleagues even found it a bit above their ideal comfort levels at 23C and sunny last week. Favourite temperature of my boss is quoted as 18C and sunny.

I'm sure most would choose 16C over 40C. However I expect many would choose 25C and sunny in summer if that was an option.

Well there's the thing, most of us can't pick and choose when we work, and most work places (at least in the UK) don't have air conditioning. 

Yes but you dont go to work to get physically or psychologically harmed. A reasonable employer should put mitigation in place to protect against things like working in excessive heat for example.

• Like 1

Posted

Another dark, wet morning. Is there no end to it? The models suggest not. Just a few days of sunshine, is that too much to ask in mid summer?

• Thanks 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, Azazel said:

most abysmal spring I can ever remember followed up by one of the most abysmal summers I can ever recall. Lovely stuff.

With a June that was well above average? I get that it wasn't great in the south, but talk about hyperbole! I take it you can't remember June 2012?

• Like 3

Posted
10 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

With a June that was well above average? I get that it wasn't great in the south, but talk about hyperbole! I take it you can't remember June 2012?

Oh I remember it alright, it was abysmal. Doesn't mean this spring/summer hasn't also been abysmal. It's been so horrendously cloudy for days and days on end - I'm back on the vitamin D tabs - something I wanted to stay off until the end of september.

Edit: To add to the above. ZERO convective weather whatsoever in my neck of the woods. 

In isolation, this summer so far may have been acceptable (though extremely disappointing) had the spring not been an absolute abomination.

Edited by Azazel
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Quite incredible how there’s still moaning about heat when there’s absolutely none forecast .

Another poor day by the looks of it. Currently 13C and cloudy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1