Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, Stargazer said:

I don't have stats for June 2016 here but remember that it was phenomenally dull for much of the month. 

I have a good stat for my location; December 2020 recorded more sunshine than June 2016.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

June 2016 was an odd month, it started off settled and warm but very dull in some eastern areas, and then became very wet and, for most, cloudy, which resulted in some areas having an exceptionally dull month.  Remarkably, at my local station at RAF Waddington, it was about as dull as the record-breaking dull June of 2012.  I recall that in parts of north-western Britain sunshine was close to average due to a sunny start to the month though.

December 2006 was locally sunnier than June 2007 near the east coast of Scotland, so while it's very unusual, it's not unknown.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, Stargazer said:

Fortunately 2016 was one of those summers that improved as it went along, and we had a glorious August and September. If this summer turns out similar I'll certainly stop complaining

It is very rare for every month in a season to be anomalous in the same direction. There was one summer early in the 20th century where all three summer months were awful, but I can't think of any summers in my lifetime when every month was dull and wet. The chances are for the SE at least, July and/or August will be much better than the woeful second half of June.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
12 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’m really surprised about that because September is usually a more settled month than August, at least up here anyway.

I think it’s just one of those common misconceptions. Because there’s often an unsettled spell in late August, which can sometimes be followed by a settled spell around the return of school, it’s easy to write the former off completely, and glorify the latter. In reality, there’s not much in it.

September is generally more mobile than the summer months. If the jet is still north, we can see robust high pressures e.g. 2014 and periods of 2019 and 2020. Likewise, if the jet moves south, we can also see the first gales e.g. 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2017. Perhaps the most annoying thing about September is summery synoptics don’t quite deliver that true summer feeling anymore, but it doesn’t yet feel like autumn proper when it’s unsettled. Often a bit of a meh month with its own feel.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
1 hour ago, al78 said:

It is very rare for every month in a season to be anomalous in the same direction. There was one summer early in the 20th century where all three summer months were awful, but I can't think of any summers in my lifetime when every month was dull and wet. The chances are for the SE at least, July and/or August will be much better than the woeful second half of June.

Yes, it's rare, I think 2012 was the summer when it was most widely achieved in my lifetime, particularly in the south-west of Britain, but even then, there were a couple of fine spells sandwiching a few days of sunshine and thundery showers in late July and early August.  It has been achieved locally in some other summers - 2002 and 2004 spring to mind - but not widely, as far as I remember.  Going further back, I think 1985 and 1987 managed it quite widely.

Early July looks set to be wet for some, but not necessarily particularly dull.  What happens after that is uncertain but there are hints that high pressure could build at times.

• Like 1

Posted

Underwhelming prospects for the foreseeable anyone wanting some heat.

Could be one of the coolest Wimbledons in a long while. When was last time 25 degrees wasn't breached.

Hoping for some heat second half July.. don't want to wait until August. Mind last year we had none until 31st July! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

The last few weeks have been so poor that I genuinely have to keep reminding myself that it's high summer. The lovely long evenings are the only clue that it is.

More dross on the models this morning. I just don't know where any settled and warm weather is coming from this summer, let alone anything plumey. 

• Like 2

Posted
13 minutes ago, Lance M said:

The last few weeks have been so poor that I genuinely have to keep reminding myself that it's high summer. The lovely long evenings are the only clue that it is.

More dross on the models this morning. I just don't know where any settled and warm weather is coming from this summer, let alone anything plumey. 

I'm afraid to say I agree. Certainly not hi g special folks. Even into the outer reaches of the gfs model it remains unsettled ... Come autumn, it'll be hot  

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
2 minutes ago, PiscesStar said:

I'm afraid to say I agree. Certainly not hi g special folks. Even into the outer reaches of the gfs model it remains unsettled ... Come autumn, it'll be hot  

There have been occasional glimpses of what summer should look like, I suppose. For instance, Thursday's sunset down here was pretty nice and screamed 'summer':

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0085.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

DSC_0097.jpg

DSC_0101.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Lance M said:

Can see this summer being bundled in with 2007,11,12! The generic setup looks prone to lacking any warmth with a dominant Azores high not leaving its home ground meaning we are prone to north westerlies.

Another really poor day, 17C at lunch, almost no sun today and more rain. Can’t wait for winter to troll the model thread to boast its warmer in February than most of summer 2021 and drive all the crazy coldies max! 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
12 hours ago, al78 said:

There are more than you think and certainly plenty that are heading into your described bracket.

Yes 2012,2008[although not so cold],1985-1988 were all generally cool and poor,1977-1980 similar,mony 60s summers were cool,both 1954 and 1956 were worse than 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
15 hours ago, Stargazer said:

I don't have stats for June 2016 here but remember that it was phenomenally dull for much of the month. I seem to remember an entire week with no more than a couple of hours of sunshine. Fortunately 2016 was one of those summers that improved as it went along, and we had a glorious August and September. If this summer turns out similar I'll certainly stop complaining

August 2016 was very mixed here, the first half was cool, unsettled and windy, but the second half was dry, warm and sunny. September 2016 was glorious here though, as it was everywhere, though the 2nd half of the month was much closer to average temperature wise.

Posted
12 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

further

15 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I have a good stat for my location; December 2020 recorded more sunshine than June 2016.

Wow! Must have either been an exceptionally sunny month in December or an exceptionally dull month in June!

5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Underwhelming prospects for the foreseeable anyone wanting some heat.

Could be one of the coolest Wimbledons in a long while. When was last time 25 degrees wasn't breached.

Hoping for some heat second half July.. don't want to wait until August. Mind last year we had none until 31st July! 

It’s still not looking as bad as last July. BBC Weather app is unsettled and in the high teens next week here (which is still better than this time last year here) and next week is forecast to be 20/21°C and mostly dry with a mix of sun/cloud which is fine by me.

1 hour ago, hillbilly said:

There are more than you think and certainly plenty that are heading into your described bracket.

Yes 2012,2008[although not so cold],1985-1988 were all generally cool and poor,1977-1980 similar,mony 60s summers were cool,both 1954 and 1956 were worse than 2012.

What about summers that were warm, dry and sunny in all three summer months? The only examples I can think of are the extended summer of 1959 and the drought summer of 1995.

Posted

Overcast with some heavy downpours here today and currently around 18°C. ☔

No point moaning about it though as the weather will do what it wants whether we moan or not, so we might as well just embrace it. I remember a health coach treating people for chronic illnesses saying you might as well learn to love your illness (as difficult as that is) as moaning about it will do nothing and will just drive down your mood.

Same thing with the weather - pointless moaning about it cos no matter how much you moan it ain’t gonna change! Might as well just learn to love it! If it’s pouring - put your wellies on and go for a walk, or go for a drive, or watch your favourite tv show - no point wasting time moaning about it.

Anyway as I keep saying we do need the rain (at least up here anyway). My garden is loving it! ☔

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

What a thoroughly miserable day!  Windy, cold and drizzle.  We were going to make a return to the pub for the first time since last February tonight, but I don't think we'll bother as I would only sit outside!

I follow a webcam on Levi, Finland - it's currently 30C there with brilliant blue skies and a gentle breeze.  How come they can get this lovely weather when we are stuck with this lot?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Just to make it clear, moaning is perfectly acceptable in this thread, as it is literally in the topic of the title.

Moan away if you feel the need to!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Very humid and sticky today, for me the worst of the UK's types of weather. Hopefully next week will drive this vile humidity out a bit, it really is the most energy sapping crap we get.

• Like 2

Posted
45 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Wow! Must have either been an exceptionally sunny month in December or an exceptionally dull month in June!

It’s still not looking as bad as last July. BBC Weather app is unsettled and in the high teens next week here (which is still better than this time last year here) and next week is forecast to be 20/21°C and mostly dry with a mix of sun/cloud which is fine by me.

What about summers that were warm, dry and sunny in all three summer months? The only examples I can think of are the extended summer of 1959 and the drought summer of 1995.

Averaged nationally I think 1976 managed it quite comfortably.  Also, if the maximum (rather than mean) temperature is taken as the measure of warmth, I think 1975 and 1989 qualify, and possibly 1996, which was the subject of a recent thread in the historical weather section.  But yes, again it's pretty rare.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, sarahng said:

What a thoroughly miserable day!  Windy, cold and drizzle.  We were going to make a return to the pub for the first time since last February tonight, but I don't think we'll bother as I would only sit outside!

I follow a webcam on Levi, Finland - it's currently 30C there with brilliant blue skies and a gentle breeze.  How come they can get this lovely weather when we are stuck with this lot?

Yes basically been rubbish apart from the odd day since 16th June. So 18 days since it was properly settled weather. Funny how the rest of Europe ,Canada ,Arctic Circle,Siberia all manage to get a summer whilst we get October-lite.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
18 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Yes, it's rare, I think 2012 was the summer when it was most widely achieved in my lifetime, particularly in the south-west of Britain, but even then, there were a couple of fine spells sandwiching a few days of sunshine and thundery showers in late July and early August.  It has been achieved locally in some other summers - 2002 and 2004 spring to mind - but not widely, as far as I remember.  Going further back, I think 1985 and 1987 managed it quite widely.

Early July looks set to be wet for some, but not necessarily particularly dull.  What happens after that is uncertain but there are hints that high pressure could build at times.

For stagnant CET patterns 2018 obviously fits the bill as did 2016, 2015, 2011, 2008 and 2003 albeit it does get fuzzy as 2018 ended by mid August really,

Posted

well  if the weather  right    weather  for the east is winds  60  mph  rain  on wednesday night  for the big match