Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Good choice. The first week of September is statistically more settled than most other times of the year. I've gone on holiday then and the weather has rarely disappointed. I remember Gavin Partridge (a popular UK weather blogger on YouTube) saying that if they moved Glastonbury and Wimbledon to the first week of September they'd have a lot less problems with rain.

I think the reason Eavis has it in June is to give the ground a chance to recover afterwards. But I do  agree with you, September would probably be a little more settled.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, andreas said:

A similar thought occurred to me HellitsHot. That we have got used to regarding  around 40c as the possible limit for the UK in the most favourable conditions imaginable for heat. But the records this week were not just broken by a fraction of a degree, they were smashed by nearly 5c. In a UK context this would be 45c. That sounds unimaginable and perhaps - because of the proximity of the Atlantic - it is a false comparison for the moment, unless there were continued substantial warming over the coming decades.

We were basically close to that type of pattern in late June 2019, the 850hpa profiles got upto 25c! (for reference, the record went with 850hpa profile somewhere in the 22-23c range the following month).

Had it not been a thin layer of NE winds right at the lowest level of the atmosphere we probably would have got a 41-42c out of that particular set-up based on the 850hpa profile and the thicknesses seen in the SE at the peak of the heat above that cooler layer at the surface, which would have been a 3-4c beating of the previous record.

Its rare though for everything to go perfect in that type of set-up though...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes of all kinds...
4 hours ago, HellItsHot said:

Just reading about the ‘heat dome’ affecting the NW USA/Canada. 

a) It sounds horrendous. And I like heat. 
b) is there any reason it could/couldn’t happen in the UK/NW Europe? We seem in a similar geographical position, albeit a bit further north. 

Yes, me too.  And there are also reports of record temperatures in parts of Russia and Europe and the above the Arctic circle, plus further loss of permanent Arctic sea ice etc   I’d be surprised if we didn’t see at least one very hot spell in the UK this year but even if the all time record high temperature is not actually broken this summer I’m sure it will be within the next five years.  Our island geography may be a protector against severe heat but if the weather comes from the east during a European heat-wave, the Atlantic won’t be much help.

• Like 2

Posted

Thanks for the answers, very interesting. The heat in Canada in particular is very alarming, as has been pointed out, records are being smashed. 

We all moan about our mild climate in the UK, but sometimes you’ve got to count your blessings. 

• Like 7

Posted
8 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Why? So you can sit and roast in the office while that stupid stuck up boss of yours shouts at you for wearing shorts? Sounds like fun...

Be careful! 17°C in the sun is a dangerous combination which can lead to heat exhaustion and heat blisters if your not careful!   Take it easy out there. Plenty of fluids. Regular breaks. Sun cream on any bare skin. 

Yes indeed not often the south east is wet while the rest of the country is drier than average.  I think June 2016 had  a similar rainfall anomally although I don't think the dry weather was as widespread. I think June 2016 was quite a warm but wet month here with the south east copping most of the rain but the stats might be different. 

We had a severe storm overnight in June that year in London. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Trouble is by early September far less light, starts going dark around half 7..

Maybe late May is the best time then for settled weather and optimal light levels.

5 hours ago, MP-R said:

He might want to look again at the records over the years lol. It's much better where it is... 

There's almost always a settled spell at some point in September. Problem is, one never knows when it'll be. Interesting fact: the Bristol Balloon Fiesta was moved from September to August because of too many occurrences of bad weather when it was in September.

Really? Well that went well, didn’t it? I remember it got cancelled in 2018, of all summers. Probably should’ve kept it in September. Early September though not late September which tends to be more unsettled.

4 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I actually think August this year is going to break a bit of a trend, by being this year's best summer month and will also see the first 30 Celsius of the year. August often disappoints, but this year will be an exception, and could possibly end up being the hottest August since 2003.

Still, I am certainly no psychic so don't bother asking me what the next winning lottery numbers are going to be. 

Well it was the best month of the summer last year so it could happen again this year. August does tend to be the best month in poor summers, such as 2007, 2012 and 2020.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

Well, we tonight we wave goodbye to continetal air and say hello to a good old friend the Atlantic.

• Like 3

Posted

Well, we tonight we wave goodbye to continetal air and say hello to a good old friend the Atlantic.

Must admit I’m quite looking forward to a short mobile spell of weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Only Atlantic I liked was LW252! but now is generally the time for Atlantic lows to dominate, away from the SE

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
14 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

So the south and I'm particular the south east still managed a warmer month despite being duller and wetter than the north. Interesting.

The first half of June in the SE was warm and sunny, which counteracted the dross during the second half as far as the monthly statistics were concened. Sunshine was average in the SE for the same reason.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Really? Well that went well, didn’t it? I remember it got cancelled in 2018, of all summers. Probably should’ve kept it in September. Early September though not late September which tends to be more unsettled.

It’s really made a difference. Surprised it took so long to move it, not least because of light levels let alone weather. Of course all it takes is the slightest bit of wind and the balloons can’t fly anyway lol but at least rain is less of an issue in early August.

Yeah, annoyingly, 2018 would’ve caused problems in both months despite all the fine weather between those weekends.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

The thing I'm really hoping for, is a fine August and start of September: What with damaging effects of both Covid and Brexit, I reckon we need a good harvest, this year more than most?

It would be a shame were all the benefits of the 'perfect growing conditions', about which I keep wittering, go to waste.

Edited by Ed Stone
  • Like 4

It’s a terrible day, has to be the coldest 16C on record, its breezy, drizzly, damp and completely overcast. Really was expecting a lot more brightness by now….wow cloud base has dropped to 250feet now. We ain’t seeing the sun at all Today…..disgusting 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Lovely here  today. Cool with much some needed rain. Garden is happy.

• Like 3

Posted
23 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s a terrible day, has to be the coldest 16C on record, its breezy, drizzly, damp and completely overcast. Really was expecting a lot more brightness by now….wow cloud base has dropped to 250feet now. We ain’t seeing the sun at all Today…..disgusting 

Welcome to the great British summer! 17°C and pouring here.

2 hours ago, MP-R said:

It’s really made a difference. Surprised it took so long to move it, not least because of light levels let alone weather. Of course all it takes is the slightest bit of wind and the balloons can’t fly anyway lol but at least rain is less of an issue in early August.

Yeah, annoyingly, 2018 would’ve caused problems in both months despite all the fine weather between those weekends.

I’m really surprised about that because September is usually a more settled month than August, at least up here anyway.

3 hours ago, Paul_1978 said:

Must admit I’m quite looking forward to a short mobile spell of weather. 

Me too. As long as it doesn’t go on for the rest of the summer...

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes
36 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I do enjoy your posts. Always moaning but hey this is the moans and ramps thread. 

Well I'm going to ramp. With the weather here warm and humid in any sunny spells and being in a convergence zone I have my hopes up for some pretty decent storms in the area this afternoon and evening. A few banging storms would liven up what has so far been a pretty mundane/normal summer. Fingers crossed. 

Edited by John88B
  • Like 1

Posted
12 minutes ago, simshady said:

Lovely here  today. Cool with much some needed rain. Garden is happy.

Yep. Been raining heavily here all morning. ☔️ Currently 17°C, 85% humidity and completely overcast with hill fog. I’m not complaining at all though, (unlike some people on here), we did really well in June and it’s unrealistic to not expect at least one unsettled spell during a British summer. ☔

Next week looks a bit crap, but the week after is looking better.

Bet Markyo is just loving this weather!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, damianslaw said:

16.7 degrees here with moderate rain. Poor for July at 12.15 past noon!

We do need the rain though you must admit, it’s been so dry in the NW. Our climate is damp and mild, we are not California.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...
Just now, East Lancs Rain said:

Yep. Been raining heavily here all morning. ☔️ Currently 17°C, 85% humidity and completely overcast with hill fog. I’m not complaining at all though, (unlike some people on here), we did really well in June and it’s unrealistic to not expect at least one unsettled spell during a British summer. ☔

Aye . . . He's likely running down Mainstreet, wearing only a pair of Speedos, as we speak!

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

We do need the rain though you must admit, it’s been so dry in the NW. Our climate is damp and mild, we are not California.

Yes a very dry April and June cancelled out somewhat by a very wet May.

Not enthused I've a week off, first since December. Not timed well!

• Like 1

Posted
10 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

Aye . . . He's likely running down Mainstreet, wearing only a pair of Speedos, as we speak!

Dancing in the rain as well I bet! ☔

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
37 minutes ago, Ed Stone said:

That would have the street cleared in seconds, folk would be traumatised for months!.....Certainly couldn't do it near the coast, i'd risk getting harpooned by a whaler!!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
39 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

One happy chappie.....how did you know!

• Like 2