Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
18 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yep. August will be a washout (as most people choose to go on holiday then) then come September as soon as the kids go back to school the sun will shine. ☀️

Our school have just given us 2 inset days at the end of the 1st week of September. So i'm going to book something for the bank holiday week and hope the weather perks up in that 1st week

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

A good deal more humid today, gone is the lovely summers day of yesterday.☹️ Its amazing how a subtle change in weather can make such a difference. Fingers crossed next week brings more of a welcome breeze!

TBH it's looking fairly cool and unsettled in Sheffield next week (as is everywhere in the UK) with temps below 20°C and more of a cooler Atlantic breeze. Humidity will be quite high though, as there will be lots of showers and dampness around, and nights will be mild at 12/13°C.

IMG_1828.PNG

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Thanks 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Our school have just given us 2 inset days at the end of the 1st week of September. So i'm going to book something for the bank holiday week and hope the weather perks up in that 1st week

Good choice. The first week of September is statistically more settled than most other times of the year. I've gone on holiday then and the weather has rarely disappointed. I remember Gavin Partridge (a popular UK weather blogger on YouTube) saying that if they moved Glastonbury and Wimbledon to the first week of September they'd have a lot less problems with rain.

• Like 2

Posted

It would be interesting to see the temperature graphs as well.

My guess:

South - Average to slightly above average

Rest of UK - Significantly above average

• Like 1

Posted
33 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Why? So you can sit and roast in the office while that stupid stuck up boss of yours shouts at you for wearing shorts? Sounds like fun...

I don't work in the office 24/7 - I would make the most of it outside of my working hours:) plus it beats freezing to death in the office like i do over the winter.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
5 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It would be interesting to see the temperature graphs as well.

My guess:

South - Average to slightly above average

Rest of UK - Significantly above average

Nope.

2021_6_MeanTemp_Actual.thumb.gif.fbf53d2760c27f470914243a5f49e627.gif

• Like 2

Posted
17 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Good choice. The first week of September is statistically more settled than most other times of the year. I've gone on holiday then and the weather has rarely disappointed. I remember Gavin Partridge (a popular UK weather blogger on YouTube) saying that if they moved Glastonbury and Wimbledon to the first week of September they'd have a lot less problems with rain.

Last year was similar to how it is now. Was wet for a couple of days. A couple of days of 18c and sun and a couple of 20c days with cloud. So mixed but useable!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and frost in the winter. Hot and sunny, thunderstorms in the summer.

What a difference a change in wind direction has. Suddenly jumped from one of the coolest places to one of the warmest thanks to a southerly wind. Given the humidity is high it feels quite oppressive despite temperatures only getting close to the mid twenties mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
On 30/06/2021 at 17:51, East Lancs Rain said:

How does -45 and 42°C feel?

cold and hot 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Nope.

Is that the deviation from average or the mean?

Here's the June 2021 anomaly 1981 - 2010 chart

image.thumb.png.0ae740c4baca0e0ce02232c0885a4f83.png

Edited by Downburst
  • Like 1

How stupid of me, after one day of 24C I was sort off expecting the same today….. nope got to 20C about 10am the breeze then got up and been stuck at a cool 18-19C all afternoon.

Posted
3 hours ago, Azazel said:

I don't work in the office 24/7 - I would make the most of it outside of my working hours:) plus it beats freezing to death in the office like i do over the winter.

So they don't keep it cool in a heatwave and they don't heat it properly in the winter? Your boss sounds like a right stingy old (insert expletive here). I bet they work in their own private luxury heated/air conditioned office as well.

2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

cold and hot 

Unbareably so? It's difficult for me to imagine such temps as the coldest I've experienced is about -2°C and the hottest about 32°C.

3 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Nope.

So the south and I'm particular the south east still managed a warmer month despite being duller and wetter than the north. Interesting.

1 hour ago, Downburst said:

Is that the deviation from average or the mean?

Here's the June 2021 anomaly 1981 - 2010 chart

image.thumb.png.0ae740c4baca0e0ce02232c0885a4f83.png

So compared to their own averages the north was still warmer than the south (compared to average).

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Just reading about the ‘heat dome’ affecting the NW USA/Canada. 

a) It sounds horrendous. And I like heat. 
b) is there any reason it could/couldn’t happen in the UK/NW Europe? We seem in a similar geographical position, albeit a bit further north. 

Edited by HellItsHot
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
4 hours ago, markyo said:

A good deal more humid today, gone is the lovely summers day of yesterday.☹️ Its amazing how a subtle change in weather can make such a difference. Fingers crossed next week brings more of a welcome breeze!

Maybe a welcome gale looking at some of the charts!

• Like 2

Posted

Even I cant moan about today. Our warmest day since June 16th. 23c. Nice sunny spells. A lovely warm humid feel to the air, which is what I love. Just looked at BBC weather for tomorrow and not looking quite as bad as I thought. Early rain band clearing North. Then nice muggy humid air and the odd afternoon downpour. All building up to plenty of beer and an England victory on the way to the semi final! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
53 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Unbareably so? It's difficult for me to imagine such temps as the coldest I've experienced is about -2°C and the hottest about 32°C.

its easier to cope with -45c than 42c for me anyway..you can add layers etc and stay warm..at 42c you just cant cool down if you are outside for any length of time

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, HellItsHot said:

Aat. 

b) is there any reason it could/couldn’t happen in the UK/NW Europe? We seem in a similar geographical position, albeit a bit further north. 

A similar thought occurred to me HellitsHot. That we have got used to regarding  around 40c as the possible limit for the UK in the most favourable conditions imaginable for heat. But the records this week were not just broken by a fraction of a degree, they were smashed by nearly 5c. In a UK context this would be 45c. That sounds unimaginable and perhaps - because of the proximity of the Atlantic - it is a false comparison for the moment, unless there were continued substantial warming over the coming decades.

Edited by andreas
  • Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Trouble is by early September far less light, starts going dark around half 7..

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, HellItsHot said:

Difference is our closeness to relatively cool oceans. Wouldn't be surprised to see somewhere record 40 degrees before not too long, but to expect days of widespread temps in low 40s fairly unrealistic for now at least!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

He might want to look again at the records over the years lol. It's much better where it is... 

There's almost always a settled spell at some point in September. Problem is, one never knows when it'll be. Interesting fact: the Bristol Balloon Fiesta was moved from September to August because of too many occurrences of bad weather when it was in September.

1 hour ago, cheeky_monkey said:

its easier to cope with -45c than 42c for me anyway..you can add layers etc and stay warm..at 42c you just cant cool down if you are outside for any length of time

Again comes down to personal preferences. I’ve probably experienced a couple of hundred days above 40C, not all with air con. Stayed for a week in the desert in Jordan, mainly in tents, was mainly 40-45C in the daytime never dropped 30C overnight, yes obviously hot but completely bearable, humidity was about 5%. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yep. August will be a washout (as most people choose to go on holiday then) then come September as soon as the kids go back to school the sun will shine. ☀️

I actually think August this year is going to break a bit of a trend, by being this year's best summer month and will also see the first 30 Celsius of the year. August often disappoints, but this year will be an exception, and could possibly end up being the hottest August since 2003.

Still, I am certainly no psychic so don't bother asking me what the next winning lottery numbers are going to be. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

Just something to confirm the theory of consistent Eastern European heat. Latvia’s just had its warmest June on record. So what I hear you say….second and third warmest June’s were 2019 & 2020. Lithuania much the same although 2018 also in there. Continuing persistent heat through summer in East. 

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, HellItsHot said:

Heat domes are just extreme upper highs and they do form over Europe and even the UK. Unlike the US though theres no horizontal mountain range to force the insane uppers from west Africa up here and the Mediterranean is too wide above east Africa. You'd need some kind of easterly into south eastern Europe possibly. Also as mentioned most of Europe is on the lattitude of Canada rather than the US so stronger westerlies.

• Like 1