Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
11 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Fortunately, we don’t live in Narnia and what we wish for has absolutely sod all impact on what the weather actually does

Of course ‘what we wish for has absolutely sod all impact on what the weather actually does’ but I reiterate,it’s madness to pray for el scorchio summers,especially in England…just be careful what you wish for is all I’m saying.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

May 2021 was an active month for thunder.  I had 5 thunder-days in Lincoln and the Met Office lightning map showed a fair amount of the UK covered in lightning strikes.

2021_5_LightningStrikes_Actual.gif

But June was indeed a poor month for thunderstorm lovers with large areas having no thunder at all.  I had thunder on 1 day (the 7th) but the potential thundery breakdown at the end of the fine spell came to nothing here and after that most of the (limited) thundery activity was near the south coast.  So was April, not too surprisingly given that it was very cold and very dry.

• Like 1

Depressing stat of the day. In April we had 12days which had 10hrs of sun. Through May and June we only had 14 combined..so dull.

Posted
7 hours ago, MildCarlilse said:

Of course ‘what we wish for has absolutely sod all impact on what the weather actually does’ but I reiterate,it’s madness to pray for el scorchio summers,especially in England…just be careful what you wish for is all I’m saying.

I hope we have an el scorchio summer soon.

• Like 3

Posted

Drought conditions becoming prevalent in the inner Moray Firth as crops burn off .Temperatures have not been exceptional but we have had one of our best Junes ever with crops  catching up .Now we just have to see how much rain we get in the next week to save the crops up here. Actually just an old fashioned Scottish June I remember from  the sixties.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
48 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I think I'm gonna faint. Blue sky. Sun. Anyone would think it's the summer. Still only 17c but you cant have everything.  Oh well back to the insipid dross tomorrow. 

not here north of Wolves

Posted
5 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Bit of an eye opener  June 2021 rainfall anomaly chart 

2021_6_Rainfall_Anomaly_1961-1990.gif

I'm struggling to recall another month that had such an odd profile for rainfall- almost completely the reverse of what you'd expect. Not only were areas further north and west much drier in relation to average but also in actual rainfall amounts.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

I'm struggling to recall another month that had such an odd profile for rainfall- almost completely the reverse of what you'd expect. Not only were areas further north and west much drier in relation to average but also in actual rainfall amounts.

not that unusual, maybe few weeks later than usual but April to early June, NW normally better than SE

August though should be opposite, NW wetter than SE

• Like 3

Posted
1 minute ago, Scorcher said:

Interesting charts there. I seem to recall the far NW /N of Scotland had a fairly similar outcome in May whilst everyone else was soaked!   

• Like 2

Posted

Very odd sunshine anomalies across north Wales for last June. Note the the difference travelling along the A55;  above normal around Hawarden/Chester, below normal around Colwyn Bay, Llandudno to above average around Anglesey.

2021_6_Sunshine_Anomaly_1961-1990.gif

• Like 2

Posted
18 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

not that unusual, maybe few weeks later than usual but April to early June, NW normally better than SE

August though should be opposite, NW wetter than SE

No, that is unusual. 

• Like 1

Posted

May as well add in the missing bits of Ireland to help form of picture of the two islands. Clearly a very good June after a poor May.

image.thumb.png.ed7e25a488db886b6a2bbe7e97c71ba0.png

For the farmers, moisture deficit (the measure in MM) needed to return soil to Saturated, this weekend and next week will alleviate this.

image.thumb.png.0276a709d0c5802e6e5fa517eb26b699.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Yeah that really does show just how splut this month has been, and why people have had very different readings as to how good/bad June gas been.

Whats worse though is that 150-200% in the SE mainly fell in the last two weeks of June, so its been exceptionally wet spell down here by any standards!

• Like 3

Posted
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Good for you! Sell you some water then!

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Now you can all see why i've been moaning so much in Hampshire!! It's been mental!

• Like 2

Posted

Here in the south I think we really do have something to moan about. Just looked at Reading University's stats for June:

Temperature: 16.6 (+1.0) Rainfall 92.3mm (196%) Sunshine 181.8 hours (93%).

I also attach the university's rainfall graph for the month, taken from www.met.reading.ac.uk/weatherdata/Reading_climate_plots.html

Given that the first half was very warm, dry and sunny you can see how dire the last three weeks have been here. I'm just hoping this summer doesn't turn into another 2012. Right now good weather always seems to be 'in a week's time'.

1rainfall.png

Edited by Stargazer
  • Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, Stargazer said:

Here in the south I think we really do have something to moan about. Just looked at Reading University's stats for June:

Temperature: 16.6 (+1.0) Rainfall 92.3mm (196%) Sunshine 181.8 hours (93%).

Given that the first half was very warm, dry and sunny you can see how dire the last three weeks have been here. I'm just hoping this summer doesn't turn into another 2012. Right now good weather always seems to be 'in a week's time'.

I've said before our summer base state beds in around the solstice and conditions then can give you a good indication how rest of summer could pan out. What's notable looking at current outlook is the switcharound that occurred third week June, lost decent warmth from first half of June especially in the south which is notable in itself. The north has held onto good warmth but nothing exceptional.

We've had summers when the heat has taken awhile to arrive such as 1990, mid July onwards.. but not many examples recently. 2016 might fit the bill with a very good August. 

Could be a summer divided into separate parts, warm settled first half June, unsettled cooler late June and early July..perhaps a return to settled and warm mid July before cooler wetter August. I never hold out for August...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, Azazel said:

Why? So you can sit and roast in the office while that stupid stuck up boss of yours shouts at you for wearing shorts? Sounds like fun...

3 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I think I'm gonna faint. Blue sky. Sun. Anyone would think it's the summer. Still only 17c but you cant have everything.  Oh well back to the insipid dross tomorrow. 

Be careful! 17°C in the sun is a dangerous combination which can lead to heat exhaustion and heat blisters if your not careful!   Take it easy out there. Plenty of fluids. Regular breaks. Sun cream on any bare skin. 

3 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Yes indeed not often the south east is wet while the rest of the country is drier than average.  I think June 2016 had  a similar rainfall anomally although I don't think the dry weather was as widespread. I think June 2016 was quite a warm but wet month here with the south east copping most of the rain but the stats might be different. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 minutes ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

It's ok all! September is coming! Never fails ...

Yep. August will be a washout (as most people choose to go on holiday then) then come September as soon as the kids go back to school the sun will shine. ☀️

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

A good deal more humid today, gone is the lovely summers day of yesterday.☹️ Its amazing how a subtle change in weather can make such a difference. Fingers crossed next week brings more of a welcome breeze!