Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
18 minutes ago, Freeze said:

If the weather did the same thing 95% of the year, there wouldn't really be much to talk about would there...

But it does the same thing most of the year! Cloudy, gloomy, cool and crap lol, with the added bonus of frequent drizzle and howling winds. Joyous

Edited by stainesbloke

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
34 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think people just love to bash the U.K. about everything. Worst weather, worst public transport, worst healthcare, worst benefits system, worst roads, the worst country in the world for everything.

It’s definitely not the worst. There are some really great things about the UK. The weather ain’t one of them, though. It’s pants  

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
13 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

But it does the same thing most of the year! Cloudy, gloomy, cool and crap lol, with the added bonus of frequent drizzle and howling winds. Joyous

Why is this weather forum so popular then? Why do we love to talk about the weather so much in the U.K.?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

I certainly didn't think my statement about UK Geography would stoke such a reaction!

When making a negative statement, I like to use the 'least [antonym word]' format as, in this case, it's not to say there aren't any interesting aspects about UK geography. I've been to the Highlands and yes, fantastic scenery! 

I'll stick with my opinion though that when combining things like overall climate, topography, wilderness cover, wildlife etc the UK does score on all those aspects, but none very highly. Based on that, and having been lucky enough to travel a bit, I can't think of a place which is more mediocre than the UK. Other places might score less on one or more of the parameters mentioned, but will score very highly on others.

And as mentioned though, geography is only one part of what makes a place unique! 

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Why is this weather forum so popular then? Why do we love to talk about the weather so much in the U.K.?

Desperation? Boredom? Not sure, to be honest. In winter it’s an obsession with snow, which hardly ever materialises, especially away from Scotland. In summer, it’s desperation and a deep longing to feel sunshine on one’s skin (again, a forlorn hope)

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Stormy autumn, hot and sunny summer and thunderstorms all year round.
3 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Not sure if I'm missing anything but the outlook for the next 2 weeks doesn't look that bad.. not a classic by any means.  There will be showers around yes, but also a bit warmer than average?  A surprise, brief plume could spring out of the predicted set up.

Note I am the world's biggest optimist though and im aware this is just a forecast.. but to me doesn't look all doom and gloom (literally)

And another problem is that even with plumes it doesn't mean that everywhere will get it. More likely a SouthEastern affair again especially if there are any storms.

I don't hold much hope for this Summer going forward based on how it has gone so far with all of the let downs we have had.

Posted
6 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Sometimes I can't believe Moscow has an almost identical June and July average max as London. Just seems whenever you look at the forecast in eastern Europe it's either warm or hot, or there's some warm or hot weather in the forecast in the very near future. Back here? 2-3 weeks without anything of note is a guarantee. Can't believe we're going to get towards mid July without 30c being reached!

I have noticed too. Eastern Europe is always warmer than Western Europe in summer. Also it seems as though Germany sometimes is hotter than France for some reason.

Edited by TheOgre

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
Just now, TheOgre said:

I have noticed too. Eastern Europe is always warmer than Western Europe in summer. Also it seems as though Germany is hotter than France for some reason.

Let's hope not so in the football!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
12 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

I have noticed too. Eastern Europe is always warmer than Western Europe in summer. Also it seems as though Germany sometimes is hotter than France for some reason.

Depends where highs and lows set up. There have been many occasion where high pressure has sat over the UK, leaving eastern Europe in a cooler northerly flow on its eastern flank. With low pressure where it is, we get stuck on the cooler side with a northeast flow, while eastern Europe sits in hot southerly flow. France is then stuck under the trough even more than we are.

• Like 2

Posted

Once again Cumbria hotspot in England. Widely 24 degrees.. ideal synoptics here with heights to the NW. Sheltered from the light NE breeze.. anyone who picked there week holiday picked a good one.. may not get any better than this here of summer.. a week of sunshine dry low-mid 20s about as good as it gets on an average summer in the lakes!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

San Francisco is one of my favourite climates. I get the impression that a lot of the residents hate it though. I don’t know why. Mild year round, loads of sunshine, bone dry summers. You get to experience the Californian sunshine without frying like a crisp. what’s not to like?

Interesting climate. Warmer in October than it is in July!

The advection fog thanks to the cold ocean current along the coast is maybe one thing a resident would complain about, if it is the type that persists for days at a time in summer.

Posted
2 hours ago, Bradley in Kent said:

I certainly didn't think my statement about UK Geography would stoke such a reaction!

When making a negative statement, I like to use the 'least [antonym word]' format as, in this case, it's not to say there aren't any interesting aspects about UK geography. I've been to the Highlands and yes, fantastic scenery! 

I'll stick with my opinion though that when combining things like overall climate, topography, wilderness cover, wildlife etc the UK does score on all those aspects, but none very highly. Based on that, and having been lucky enough to travel a bit, I can't think of a place which is more mediocre than the UK. Other places might score less on one or more of the parameters mentioned, but will score very highly on others.

And as mentioned though, geography is only one part of what makes a place unique! 

Yet the Scottich Highlands makes it on this list of most beautiful places in the world to visit (as does the Seven Sisters, Sussex).

beautiful.jpg
WWW.CNTRAVELLER.COM

The bucket list destinations to tick off your list.

Just because the UK isn't extreme in anything, doesn't make it dull. That sounds like an American way of thinking, that bigger must be better.

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Weather enthusiasts like extremes relative to our climate norms and love to ogle model output out to the next fortnight looking for some tenuous possibility that more than half an inch of snow will fall and last for more than an hour in the lowlands, or there might be a thunderstorm in their location. The primary reason I suspect these more extremes of weather are desired is because they don't happen very often. If they did, they wouldn't be exciting, they would just be taken for granted, like residents who live in places where thunderstorms, heavy snow, high summer temperatures, freezing winters do. It is like when I go on a hiking trip in Scotland, I am always awed at the scenery, but people living there take it for granted.

• Like 2

Posted
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

San Francisco is one of my favourite climates. I get the impression that a lot of the residents hate it though. I don’t know why. Mild year round, loads of sunshine, bone dry summers. You get to experience the Californian sunshine without frying like a crisp. what’s not to like?

Interesting climate. Warmer in October than it is in July!

Went to San Francisco in February and in April. February was warmer than April. Never seems to get really warm in San Francisco but I don't think you have to go far inland for heat.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
3 hours ago, TheOgre said:

Weather at the temperate lattitude flows w-e so there is little modification from the Atlantic once inland. Without warm uppers being mixed out as aggressively and low soil moisture you have more heat in summer and more cold in winter.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, scott125 said:

Went to San Francisco in February and in April. February was warmer than April. Never seems to get really warm in San Francisco but I don't think you have to go far inland for heat.

Correct, I drove to San Fran from Yosemite. Once we are out of the mountains it was mid 90s until about 10miles out. Was low 60s and overcast in the city and a massive shock especially after 124f just four days earlier in Desth Valley! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
5 hours ago, al78 said:

Yet the Scottich Highlands makes it on this list of most beautiful places in the world to visit (as does the Seven Sisters, Sussex).

beautiful.jpg
WWW.CNTRAVELLER.COM

The bucket list destinations to tick off your list.

Just because the UK isn't extreme in anything, doesn't make it dull. That sounds like an American way of thinking, that bigger must be better.

Don't get me wrong, I was yelling and cheering at the TV earlier for England and you won't find me living anywhere else!

As for all of the UK there're many things I love about this country just that geography (especially climate) is not on that list. 

But anyway, I said all this from the fact that everywhere else our latitude is having an above average summer once again whilst we mop up the muck. Yes land does heat up easier but still, one can't help feeling unlucky especially as even for those places it's good weather. 

Anyway, let's consider the matter closed. I'll have a look at that list you've linked for some holiday inspiration!

I think this thread is going to becoming even more popular. Outlook starting to look dire for pretty much all next week now. Might sneak two semi decent days Thursday and Friday. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, cold, cold and errrr......cold. I am, unashamedly, a cold fan.

Hopefully things cooling down, plenty of rain, then straight into Autumn.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Another grey morning. Classic.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.
3 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Another grey morning. Classic.

Indeed. Havent had a single ray of morning sun poking through my window for nearly a week now. Quite unusual for late June. Feels quite like October. 

I know that grey weather is stereotypically British but weeks on end without sun in South England, in June, is taking the mickey. We arent Iceland or the Orkney Isles. 

I think I actually preferred the colder than average weather we had in May where it was a mixed bag of sun, rain, then sun, then some hail, then sun again (all in the space of an afternoon!). At least that was varied and you actually saw the sun regularly as opposed to a blanket sheet of grey on the longest days of the year. 

Those up North have been doing OK atm though! Lake District has been 20+ degrees the last couple of days whilst most of us in the South have not had a properly sunny day since early- mid June, and barely scraping high teen temps. 

Ofc, this weather would come at a time when the vast majority of us cannot travel freely. If COVID didnt exist, me and my friend would've currently be in Japser in the Canadian Rockies in the midst of the ridiculous 40 degree heatwave they're having

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

I think this thread is going to becoming even more popular. Outlook starting to look dire for pretty much all next week now. Might sneak two semi decent days Thursday and Friday. 

Not everyone likes hot weather. Plenty might be quite pleased about the output. Impartiality

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot
10 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Not everyone likes hot weather. Plenty might be quite pleased about the output. Impartiality

I can't deal with heat, but I would be very pleased with a happy medium between endless cloud and blistering heat. A return to the start of June would be perfect summer for me!

• Like 4