Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Getting quite depressing in Lincoln now, there's been the odd bit of sun over recent days but since 24 June there's been very little.  Indeed, since around 17 June there have only been two particularly sunny days (22nd and 23rd, though at least my birthday, 22nd, fell on one of them).  I haven't seen the sun at all today.  It's a consequence of that slow moving low over the south bringing in a lot of cloud off the North Sea as well as having cloud wrapped around it.

Certainly a June of very contrasting halves here, as the first half was warm and sunny.  Roger Brugge's site has RAF Waddington on 169.8 hours of sunshine, suggesting that sunshine here will come out near to slightly below average.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Checked the BBC weather app and for the next three days the forecast is….. light cloud, light cloud and… You guessed it.. light cloud. Wow, I totally wasn't expecting that. ☁️☁️☁️

Still, it's not all bad. if you look at the individual days there are a few sunny spells forecast.  And there are a few days that are forecast to have "sunny intervals". I know that that probably means there will be 5 minutes of milky sunshine at 6 o'clock in the morning, but it's better than nothing. Temperatures are also comfortable around 19 to 22°C, so there is that as well. But it really does feel like living somewhere like Lima with the constant mild temps, complete absense of rain and constant cloud. ☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️☁️

Still, at least it's better than somewhere like Torshavn...

The most boringness monotonous climate on earth. 6°C in winter, 13°C in summer, and only 800 hours of sunshine a year. Cloudiest place on earth (what a surprise it's right next to the UK!) I do not know how people live in a climate like that without losing their sanity. 

IMG_1788.PNG

IMG_1793.PNG

Well it was 15c max here today. 14c max last Sunday. Not much difference there. And I have got next week off from work and it looks like being the worst week of the 'summer' so far. Sods law. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!

Looks like we're going to burn through another two weeks of summer at least now. It's felt like late October for months now. 

We could arrive at midsummer having only had two weeks of warm settled weather all year. 

Dreadful outlook. Going to feel a long slog of a winter if we don't get a backloaded/indian summer!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunderstorms
8 minutes ago, Number 23 said:

Looks like we're going to burn through another two weeks of summer at least now. It's felt like late October for months now. 

We could arrive at midsummer having only had two weeks of warm settled weather all year. 

Dreadful outlook. Going to feel a long slog of a winter if we don't get a backloaded/indian summer!

I feel the same, two glorious weeks felt like just a bit of luck, seems like it's been difficult to get anything settled this time round. The nice parts of April would of been good had it not been for the cold, similar to that of 2020. Our weather has become so mobile and hard to predict, the mobility and location on the hemisphere I guess would mean a much more unsettled climate. I really do hope this is it for summer, guess we still have time yet for it to change.

• Like 1

Someone laughed when I posted something saying I found summer in Canada about 5 or 6 days ago showing a forecast of 46/47C. It reached 47.9C in Lytton yesterday. Possibly the most extraordinary temperature record ever set.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything interesting!
9 minutes ago, Petorious said:

I feel the same, two glorious weeks felt like just a bit of luck, seems like it's been difficult to get anything settled this time round. The nice parts of April would of been good had it not been for the cold, similar to that of 2020. Our weather has become so mobile and hard to predict, the mobility and location on the hemisphere I guess would mean a much more unsettled climate. I really do hope this is it for summer, guess we still have time yet for it to change.

Yeah the April cold really took the edge off the sunshine for me. I'm craving that early morning warmth when you know it's going to be a hot one. 

I'm a naturally warm person, so when I'm in a jumper in June you know it's crap weather!

Fingers crossed it gets better, but I just have a feeling this summer is going to be "one of those". We'll see. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Well it was 15c max here today. 14c max last Sunday. Not much difference there. And I have got next week off from work and it looks like being the worst week of the 'summer' so far. Sods law. 

Easterly wind, what do you expect! coldest/worst direction for my area, maybe yours too

Posted

Had a mostly sunny afternoon yesterday, so not too bad. CB's drifted to my north in the evening, but only a moderate shower with 0.6mm here. To my east the Chard area had ~3-4 inches of rain and the river River Axe flooded, and the tributary river Yarty recorded the highest level since the station opened in 1997.

On a side note, I noticed that even during this record breaking heatwave in the pacific NW, the Oregon/North California coast is still cool. Eureka was 15C and overcast when I looked before going to bed last night, in contrast to temps like 46C in Portland. The average daily maxima there in July is 17.4C, with the average highest in the whole month being 21.3C! January still averages 13.1C with the average highest being 19.5C!

That must be a boring climate and frustrating for those wanting heat.

• Like 1

It’s a dreadful morning, 15C and so gloomy my auto lights have come on in the car. Heavy drizzly now. 

June now turning into a shocker, over 100mm of rain and sun levels yet to reach 90% of the LTA.

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

One could stomach an unsettled spell in early July if the second half of June hasn’t been so rubbish. By the time this upcoming Atlantic spell blows itself out we could be on for 3-4 weeks of summer lost to filth. I hope not, but it’s looking that way.

Posted

I haven't minded the weather so far this summer (for Wakefield). Appreciate it's been a bit grim in the south. 

We've had a warm spell for a couple of weeks in early June, but I've not particularly minded the slightly cooler weather, but then again we haven't had the rain that has been had in the south.

As I've said before, I don't mind anything that supresses the grass pollen levels, but I'm on holiday later in July and August, and grass pollen is over by then, so would be quite happy for a bit of a warm up, but preferably nothing over 25C, as that is more than adequate, 22C/23C would be perfect 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Number 23 said:

Yeah the April cold really took the edge off the sunshine for me. I'm craving that early morning warmth when you know it's going to be a hot one. 

I'm a naturally warm person, so when I'm in a jumper in June you know it's crap weather!

Fingers crossed it gets better, but I just have a feeling this summer is going to be "one of those". We'll see. 

I'm naturally cold. I'm in vest, long sleeved top, and jumper! And still in tights under trousers lol!

It's not so much the temperature that gets me down - as much as I love the heat - But damn this cloud is horrific!! Just need suuuuun!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The world feels like it's turned monochrome. 

• Like 1

Posted

It doesn't help with our crappy weather when you tune in to a match from Euro 2020. Last night for example. France/Swiss. Bucharest. 10pm at night and still 24c. The other night St Petersburg Russia. 11pm at night. 26c. And here in Autumn ravaged Blighty my MAX yesterday. 15c. And today. Well just more grey cloud. Already a couple of showers. 14c. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
4 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

It doesn't help with our crappy weather when you tune in to a match from Euro 2020. Last night for example. France/Swiss. Bucharest. 10pm at night and still 24c. The other night St Petersburg Russia. 11pm at night. 26c. And here in Autumn ravaged Blighty my MAX yesterday. 15c. And today. Well just more grey cloud. Already a couple of showers. 14c. 

Sometimes I can't believe Moscow has an almost identical June and July average max as London. Just seems whenever you look at the forecast in eastern Europe it's either warm or hot, or there's some warm or hot weather in the forecast in the very near future. Back here? 2-3 weeks without anything of note is a guarantee. Can't believe we're going to get towards mid July without 30c being reached!

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Someone laughed when I posted something saying I found summer in Canada about 5 or 6 days ago showing a forecast of 46/47C. It reached 47.9C in Lytton yesterday. Possibly the most extraordinary temperature record ever set.

I didn't laugh but believed it had to be wrong. It's got to be the most exceptional heatwave I've ever seen worldwide, even moreso than the Russian heatwave of 2010 (though that one went on for a long time).

Here it's been another sticky night (one local weather station didn't drop below 23C) with 34-35C expected today, but a cool-down is in store for the rest of the week. It's been very dry and the grass has turned yellow in many places.

Edited by AderynCoch

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

I know this sounds a bit extreme but right now got to be one of the most depressing weather feeling i've had, everywhere except the UK is like

summer-sunset.jpg

210316134738-02-wisdom-project-summer-la

image.thumb.png.49f21ae3cf74b9aee0b110a5bc791f23.png

and then there is us with

image.thumb.png.1abffeefffc9017a735f5f914d2e0bc5.png

TELEMMGLPICT000138114820_trans_NvBQzQNjv

Literally it makes me so moody because of our location

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Did we hit 30C the other week?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I'd rather have the current crappy UK weather than 26C when I want to go to bed and sleep. At least clag and rain doesn't ruin my sleep (unless it is thunderstorms at 2am).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
47 minutes ago, summer blizzard said:

Did we hit 30C the other week?

29.7c I believe the high so far this year, in the London area on 14th