Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
5 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

@Praguebloke  This puts everything in perspective when we moan about UK weather. Devastating scenes, 5 dead but wouldn’t be surprised if that becomes many more

_119086465_czech1.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Five people are killed and at least 150 injured, with the worst-hit areas looking like a war zone.

I suspect the poor folk caught up in that misery would happily exchange their climate for the UK's current summer in a heartbeat, typing this looking out on to a beautiful summers evening, blue sky, light winds, low humidity....nothing to possibly moan about here

• Like 3

Posted
8 minutes ago, markyo said:

I suspect the poor folk caught up in that misery would happily exchange their climate for the UK's current summer in a heartbeat, typing this looking out on to a beautiful summers evening, blue sky, light winds, low humidity....nothing to possibly moan about here

Getting hit by a tornado like that in Europe is so rare you wouldn't give it any thought. It's like saying Birmingham has a dangerous climate because they had a tornado in 2005.

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Yes a bit of a shocker here, a day more akin to October.

Not really a shocker in that there was very little rain (at least here anyway). But it was wall to wall thick cloud and breezy, and very cool (I wouldn’t know though, as I have a bit of a fever).

5 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

16 degrees here next 3 days, windy as well

Mean flow is from the NE which is not a good direction for you. The only wind direction which is good for you seems to be either SE or S.

40 minutes ago, Airedalejoe said:

Try rain/drizzle for last 2 days and temps 11/12C most of the time, courtesy of the North sea!

It’s grim uuuuuup north. As they say.

Posted
25 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Getting hit by a tornado like that in Europe is so rare you wouldn't give it any thought. It's like saying Birmingham has a dangerous climate because they had a tornado in 2005.

Oh come on! The U.K. does not get hit by Tornados like that. We have one of the safest climates in the world. Ive had the odd tile blown off the roof in winter, had a few times where I’ve slipped and fallen on ice, that’s about it.

I think people just like to blast the U.K.’s climate for the sake of it.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted
52 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Sorry you have totally lost me on that one, your post makes no sense. 5 people at least lost their lives, Birmingham? Why on earth are you comparing 2005 to what has just happend? 

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Frigid said:

Definitely feels like October, chilly wind and temperature not exceeding 12c. Kinda reminds me of those deluge days back in June 2019. 

It hasn't felt like October since May, June is turning out to be a warm and humid month.

Edited by Eugene
  • Like 2

Posted
20 hours ago, al78 said:

Ahem!

Not as bad as the worst experienced in other places in the world, but that is irrelevant if you are one of the poor sods on the receiving end of the worst of the UK's weather.

Yes the U.K. gets bad weather, but it isn’t as extreme as most other parts of the world. We don’t get hurricanes, we don’t get those extreme tornados like they do in America, we don’t get major earthquakes, we don’t have volcanos. 

Yes, the weather on those videos is pretty extreme but is nothing in comparison to what some other parts of the world have to put up with. The Burns Day Storm looked really nasty though, now that was a proper storm! Can’t get that image of the swinging lampposts out of my head! Must have been absolutely terrifying driving home! The storms we’ve had in recent years have been pretty feeble. Barely knocked a tile from the roof. Windy weather gives me an adreaniline rush. I want to be scared silly and witness flying debris and swinging lampposts!

16 hours ago, CreweCold said:

I think 2018 has skewed people's expectation of summer in the UK. That was a rare event...to have weeks and weeks of no rain at all is rare. 

This is the UK, not the Mediterranean. 

Yes that summer was not normal. Had two weeks of unbroken sunshine and 25-30°C in late June/early July 2018. It was too much. Glad we don’t get that most summers.

13 hours ago, Alderc said:

Disagree, since 2013 we’ve had decent summers, most places in the south for July are averaging 2C above the LTA. Heathrow for example is averaging 25.5C even down here July over the last 8years has averaged 23.5C which is what London/Cambridge would normally expect. It’s not a one summer thing. 

Then why are you always moaning? Summers certainly haven’t been decent every year up in the north, I remember 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2020 were all poor or very poor. June 2019 was atrocious but July 2019 was pretty good. Only 2013, 2014 and 2018 have been decent here.

Anyway, better get used to poorer summers for the next few years as the effect of solar minimum takes hold (the last one was 2008/09 and was thought to be the cause of the run of poor summers from 2007 to 2012). And if the Grand Solar Minimum begins then be prepared for even poorer summers and brutal winters.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry you have totally lost me on that one, your post makes no sense. 5 people at least lost their lives, Birmingham? Why on earth are you comparing 2005 to what has just happend? 

Exactly. A few roofs blown off in a street in Birmingham. A dozen or so injured, 0 dead, versus 5 dead and a whole village destroyed in Check Republic (cba trying to spell it the proper way). No comparison.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yes the U.K. gets bad weather, but it isn’t as extreme as most other parts of the world. We don’t get hurricanes, we don’t get those extreme tornados like they do in America, we don’t get major earthquakes, we don’t have volcanos. 

Yes, the weather on those videos is pretty extreme but is nothing in comparison to what some other parts of the world have to put up with. The Burns Day Storm looked really nasty though, now that was a proper storm! Can’t get that image of the swinging lampposts out of my head! Must have been absolutely terrifying driving home! The storms we’ve had in recent years have been pretty feeble. Barely knocked a tile from the roof. Windy weather gives me an adreaniline rush. I want to be scared silly and witness flying debris and swinging lampposts!

Yes that summer was not normal. Had two weeks of unbroken sunshine and 25-30°C in late June/early July 2018. It was too much. Glad we don’t get that most summers.

Then why are you always moaning? Summers certainly haven’t been decent every year up in the north, I remember 2015, 2016, 2017 and 2020 were all poor or very poor. June 2019 was atrocious but July 2019 was pretty good. Only 2013, 2014 and 2018 have been decent here.

Anyway, better get used to poorer summers for the next few years as the effect of solar minimum takes hold (the last one was 2008/09 and was thought to be the cause of the run of poor summers from 2007 to 2012). And if the Grand Solar Minimum begins then be prepared for even poorer summers and brutal winters.

Get used to 'poorer summers'. We have only had 3 proper summers in the last 26 years.  Not much to lose then......

Posted
1 hour ago, Eugene said:

It hasn't felt like October since May, June is turning out to be a warm and humid month.

50 minutes ago, HellItsHot said:

A truly dull, dreary, bleak, honking bore of a day for the middle of summer. 

The sort of day that makes people emigrate. If we were still allowed to. 

Your two posts contradict each other. Anyway the temperatures definitely were more like October yesterday up north, at around 12-15°C, so you can’t comment on other people’s weather cos you aren’t where they are. 

It’s currently clear blue skies and glorious sunshine here, but I wish it wasn’t because my bedroom faces north and gets the evening sun in summer. It gets very warm in summer and I have had to pull the curtain over to stop the sun from getting in my eyes. Give me some cloud! ☁️

Posted
13 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Get used to 'poorer summers'. We have only had 3 proper summers in the last 26 years.  Not much to lose then......

Well maybe in your opinion. Going off what Alder C is saying it’ sounds like it’s  been cracking the flags in the south every summer since 2013.

I can think of at least five hot summers in the last 26 years including 1995, 2003, 2006, 2013 and 2018. That’s a hot summer once every five years which is not so bad. And that’s not including all of the plumes and hot spells we’ve had in the other summers. It’s rare to not get at least a few weeks of hot sunny weather a year in the SE. 

You southerners are spoilt that’s what it is. You should spend a summer in Lerwick to find out what a real bad summer is like...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Well maybe in your opinion. Going off what Alder C is saying it’ sounds like it’s  been cracking the flags in the south every summer since 2013.

I can think of at least five hot summers in the last 26 years including 1995, 2003, 2006, 2013 and 2018. That’s a hot summer once every five years which is not so bad. And that’s not including all of the plumes and hot spells we’ve had in the other summers. It’s rare to not get at least a few weeks of hot sunny weather a year in the SE. 

You southerners are spoilt that’s what it is. You should spend a summer in Lerwick to find out what a real bad summer is like...

Yes its two hot summers per decade on average except for the 1980s when there were three.

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Your two posts contradict each other. Anyway the temperatures definitely were more like October yesterday up north, at around 12-15°C, so you can’t comment on other people’s weather cos you aren’t where they are. 

It’s currently clear blue skies and glorious sunshine here, but I wish it wasn’t because my bedroom faces north and gets the evening sun in summer. It gets very warm in summer and I have had to pull the curtain over to stop the sun from getting in my eyes. Give me some cloud! ☁️

Eh? 

You’ve quoted two different people there. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Since 1950 for 18C+ months your looking at every 7 years on average for July and 10 years for August. We are more overdue a 2C below average month of course.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
9 hours ago, Northwest NI said:

@Praguebloke  This puts everything in perspective when we moan about UK weather. Devastating scenes, 5 dead but wouldn’t be surprised if that becomes many more

_119086465_czech1.jpg
WWW.BBC.COM

Five people are killed and at least 150 injured, with the worst-hit areas looking like a war zone.

It’s been a very sad and shocking event. Unfortunately, it’s true that the UK climate kills people too, though. Been plenty of casualties over the years from winter storms and big freezes, floods, etc. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Maybe the people directly affected by the tornado would do (wouldn’t anyone affected by a natural weather disaster?), but trust me, no one else in the Czech Republic would want to swap their climate for a UK summer. And don’t forget the UK climate has seen its fair share of casualties over the years. 

• Like 2

Posted

Today was interesting.

Forecasted to be wet and dreary it was one of the most pleasant days of the summer so far - lots of sunshine and felt pretty damn warm. Nearly finished my garden and got burnt to buggery.

I don’t know what’s happened over the last 5 years but forecasting has gone right down the toilet. 

• Thanks 1

Posted
1 hour ago, HellItsHot said:

Eh? 

You’ve quoted two different people there. 

Ooooooops...  My bad! I just saw the same colour profile pic and assumed it was the same! I am not feeling well at all at the moment though so my brain is not working right - brain fog.

58 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

It’s been a very sad and shocking event. Unfortunately, it’s true that the UK climate kills people too, though. Been plenty of casualties over the years from winter storms and big freezes, floods, etc. 

Of course there has. But I bet more people die from extreme heatwaves every year in Europe than weather-related deaths in the U.K.

54 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Maybe the people directly affected by the tornado would do (wouldn’t anyone affected by a natural weather disaster?), but trust me, no one else in the Czech Republic would want to swap their climate for a UK summer. And don’t forget the UK climate has seen its fair share of casualties over the years. 

So nobody ever complains about the heat there? You’ve never heard anyone say “god I’m fed up of this heat. I’m so envious of people in the UK, it’s always nice and cool over there, they don’t know how lucky they are”.

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, markyo said:

Okay then, Central Europe is more likely to get strong tornadoes than Britain - but it's still so unlikely that you wouldn't ever think about it. You make it sound like it's a normal part of the weather here, as though people wish summers were cool and unsettled (as you like them). They don't, simple as. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think it’s already started, since last winter. 

Posted
11 minutes ago, Azazel said:

Today was interesting.

Forecasted to be wet and dreary it was one of the most pleasant days of the summer so far - lots of sunshine and felt pretty damn warm. Nearly finished my garden and got burnt to buggery.

I don’t know what’s happened over the last 5 years but forecasting has gone right down the toilet. 

BBC weather app is usually pretty accurate here.

1 minute ago, AderynCoch said:

Okay then, Central Europe is more likely to get strong tornadoes than Britain - but it's still so unlikely that you wouldn't ever think about it. You make it sound like it's a normal part of the weather here, as though people wish summers were cool and unsettled (as you like them). They don't, simple as. 

I bet a lot of people die of heat exhaustion in these southern/Central European countries every year. I bet a lot of people wish the summers were cooler and less sunny, like the U.K. 

And probably the reverse in winter. They probably get a lot of deaths from hypothermia . I bet they wish winters were warmer like the U.K.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

I think it’s already started, since last winter. 

Well, we did have a cold (er) winter last year and we had a chilly April and May, maybe things are getting colder. But everyone on this forum seems to be very pro-warmth at the moment.

I bet Markyo would love it if we went into an Ice Age (which could happen if we get a Grand Solar Minimum).

• Like 2

Posted
40 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Of course there has. But I bet more people die from extreme heatwaves every year in Europe than weather-related deaths in the U.K.

So nobody ever complains about the heat there? You’ve never heard anyone say “god I’m fed up of this heat. I’m so envious of people in the UK, it’s always nice and cool over there, they don’t know how lucky they are”.

Europe doesn’t get extreme heatwaves every year. It gets some hot weather, which is quite normal for a continental climate in summer.

And no, no-one complains about hot weather here (unless it’s extreme heat, which is uncommon). Plenty of Czechs I’ve known have complained about UK summers though and a typical, say Manchester summer here would be treated with revulsion. I do miss a couple of things from the UK but the generally crappy climate will never be one of them.

• Like 1

Posted
7 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

Europe doesn’t get extreme heatwaves every year. It gets some hot weather, which is quite normal for a continental climate in summer.

And no, no-one complains about hot weather here (unless it’s extreme heat, which is uncommon). Plenty of Czechs I’ve known have complained about UK summers though and a typical, say Manchester summer here would be treated with revulsion. I do miss a couple of things from the UK but the generally crappy climate will never be one of them.

Crappy climate? Maritime is different to Continental, crappy is your view not fact,. I know many folk who would prefer the UK climate. You just seem very defensive of your preference, name calling a climate from another country just because you don't like it seems odd in my view, a preference is just that, not better or worse than somewhere else just totally different as we all are.

• Like 3