Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.
36 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

It must be very different in North Wales then as it's not the slightest bit autumnal here in terms of vegetation etc. The trees are still vibrantly green and the days could barely be any longer at the moment. The sun is so high too- very surprising anyone could think things were autumnal in midsummer.

Evening @Scorcher 

Sorry, my fault for not explaining properly.

When I say it felt like our first taste of autumn, I was on about the quality of the light… Which to me and others came across as very Septemberesq.

Likewise, there was a cool dampness in the air that we seem to get as autumn pops it head over the metaphorical parapet, come August and certainly September.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
6 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Nicest day here since last Wednesday.  Sunny. 19c. Nice breeze. Funny how Wednesday always seems to be the best day of the week for weather and Saturday usually the worst! 

Yes.. this month, all Wednesdays have been decent here, but I don't think this area has seen ANY sun on any of the Fridays so far, and this Friday doesn't look much better either

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

If the UK has the best summer weather in the world, why did the package holiday industry take off and why do so many people feel the need to jet off to the Mediterranean/Far East/Caribbean each year? A significant contribution to the UK being one of the worst countries in the world to be affected by COVID is the sheer number of people flying in and out, and the failure to close our borders when it could have made a difference.

Speaking about closing the borders, I am with you 100%. But we are off-topic here.

Going back to the weather... People go on holidays for various reasons: To experience a different culture, different food, different landscape, different lifestyle and so on. The weather is only part of it. Besides holidays are 1-2 week long. For 2 weeks 35-40 degrees could be (for someone, not for me :D ) a pleasant novelty. Month after month after month it becomes a nightmare...

Here in the UK summers are made up of cool nights, so you can sleep properly without suffering, and warm days where you can do all sorts of outdoor activities without even sweating or feeling uncomfortable in the scorching heat. What's not to like?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Yes.. this month, all Wednesdays have been decent here, but I don't think this area has seen ANY sun on any of the Fridays so far, and this Friday doesn't look much better either

here too, 3 weeks on the bounce with a NW front, and washout Thursday a possibility, lucky last week, but tomorrow looking very wet

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Has the BBC website caught a virus, as it has 8 days on the bounce with temps on or above 24C from Monday, here around my place of residence. I'm sure that will soon change with time i'm sure.

Edited by DIS1970

Posted
3 hours ago, Scorcher said:

I think Londoners could potentially laugh at how wet Seattle's winters are though- I had no idea how wet they actually were until I looked before. 147mm on average in January- incredibly wet!

That's quite a typical rainfall stat for January in the Lake District.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Daniel* said:

The nights are drawing in

Comparisons with June 96 continue.. coming on the back of a cold May.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Clear blue skies!
On 21/06/2021 at 19:20, Daniel* said:

Diabolical another day with no sun whatsoever. Icelandic!

82813BBF-D9F8-44D2-846A-8526A037AE6E.thumb.jpeg.d8f0d563199390ab3ea8747ee36d4755.jpeg

Only joined this forum today and wondering what website this data is from or where I can find it? Cheers! 

• Like 1

Posted

I would just like to say a big FU to the British weather

Heading from Glasgow to Cambridge area for a staycation tomorrow, one of the key things being the search for better weather. In fact I'm getting quite the opposite 

image.thumb.png.c35b8e1f2e312545d69828407e6b8729.png

image.thumb.png.537890262eee9a98c8838cd58d24d790.png

Posted
3 hours ago, SunSean said:

Only joined this forum today and wondering what website this data is from or where I can find it? Cheers! 

Hi welcome, here: 

WWW.METEOCIEL.FR

Résumé mensuel des observations météo ( températures minimales et maximales, précipitations et ensoleillement) de la station London / Heathrow (UK) ( United...

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
19 hours ago, damianslaw said:

That's quite a typical rainfall stat for January in the Lake District.

It is about what Fort William gets monthly in the months of September through to March, and that is one of the wettest towns in the UK.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
20 hours ago, mathematician said:

Here in the UK summers are made up of cool nights, so you can sleep properly without suffering, and warm days where you can do all sorts of outdoor activities without even sweating or feeling uncomfortable in the scorching heat. What's not to like?

I do see your point and there is a lot to be grateful for in the UK's weather/climate, but not all summer days are good for outdoor activities. I would disagree they are made up of days you can do outdoor activities without sweatiung or feeling uncomfortable. It depends where you live of course, but where I live in the SE, I will sweat when cycling more than a few miles or gardening on most days of decent weather, and I am not unfit. When I was in Scotland at the end of last month I had to abandon my route up and along a ridge because it was too hot, I was in danger of running out of water, there was hardly any wind and no shade, and I could just feel the strength draining out of me, and that was probably no warmer than a pleasant summer day in SE England. As for what's not to like, the locked in weather patterns where we get too much of one type of weather, either hot and dry (summer 2018) or cool and soaking wet (summer 2012). For me who enjoys a hiking trip to the Scottish mountains at least once a year, and given it costs considerable time and money getting there from Horsham, if I book somewhere and get a full week of clag and can barely see the hills never mind climb up them, that is something not to like. I was very lucky this year to nail a week of superb weather.

• Like 1

Posted

A really sultry day in Slovakia. 34C here but as high as 37.7C in the village of Mužla (not far from Esztergom in Hungary), only 0.5C short of the all-time June high.

Mammatus clouds have rolled in now. A portent for fireworks this evening?

IMG_20210624_163435.thumb.jpg.928fabc294ed0e8895790b839194c550.jpg

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
22 hours ago, Daniel* said:

The nights are drawing in

It's been a year for really low minimum temperatures. It was cloudy last night here, so it wouldn't have fallen very low.

Posted

Todays weather has been very uninspiring. Very thick fog early in the morning, thick cloud until mid afternoon, sun came out for a bit but now it's gone cloudy again, currently 17°, breezy. 

Westerlies in summer tend to bring the most unremarkable conditions - average to cool temps, breezy, mix of sun, cloud, showers, drizzle etc. 

Posted

2 hours ago, bomdabass said:

I would just like to say a big FU to the British weather

Heading from Glasgow to Cambridge area for a staycation tomorrow, one of the key things being the search for better weather. In fact I'm getting quite the opposite 

image.thumb.png.c35b8e1f2e312545d69828407e6b8729.png

image.thumb.png.537890262eee9a98c8838cd58d24d790.png

Looks like the north is going to get better weather than the south next week... Again! You should've stayed in Glasgow!

Rain during Wimbledon... ☔️ Who'da thought it?

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
22 hours ago, mathematician said:

Yes I agree. I don't know how people abroad can do anything in 30°C+ heat. It's okay if your chilling on the beach or by the pool, but trying to do any physical exertion like walking, climbing etc would be very uncomfortable if not impossible.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c

going to be in Prince George next week ..will be hotter than there all time record by over 2c ..40c on Monday 41c on Tuesday..record is 38.9c set back in 1941

PG Temp.png

• Like 1

Posted

ECMOPNA00_120_2.pngECMOPNA00_144_2.png

From the ECM 00z, I believe that is 35C 850hpa temps in Canada on the second chart. The altitude and mountains make it easier to get higher 850hpa temperatures, and there is more of a diurnal cycle (the ECM 00z charts capture about 5pm local time), but that still seems very impressive. Up there with the whole of North America and potentially even the world at that time slot.

Edited by Evening thunder

Posted
2 hours ago, cheeky_monkey said:

going to be in Prince George next week ..will be hotter than there all time record by over 2c ..40c on Monday 41c on Tuesday..record is 38.9c set back in 1941

PG Temp.png

Some ridiculous temperatures being forecast for the coming days. 47C in Kelowna, 45C in Kamloops, even 40C in Vancouver.

Posted

In other news, Hungary recorded its first ever 40C in June today and the Czech Republic got hit by tornadoes. There was a pretty bad one in Hodonín:

Edited by AderynCoch
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, AderynCoch said:

Some ridiculous temperatures being forecast for the coming days. 47C in Kelowna, 45C in Kamloops, even 40C in Vancouver.

One site I saw had a forecast for Portland in Oregon of 48C on Monday or Tuesday, the all time record is about 41.5C, crazy..