Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
7 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Very slow springs though compared to the UK usually- they had some serious cold in May this year in Sweden.

We didn't have a spring either.

I do think the UK's climate is utterly pathetic. Crap winters, crap summers and a seemingly never-ending autumn in between.

• Like 1

Looks like another absolutely dreadful weekend coming, could be down into the low teens and at least one days washout with another day of showers. Probably zero sunshine all weekend….

Posted
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Looks like another absolutely dreadful weekend coming, could be down into the low teens and at least one days washout with another day of showers. Probably zero sunshine all weekend….

Good for hayfever sufferers though

• Like 1

Posted

Yes it's been very good here too- still only 4.6mm of rain at my local weather station in June. I wonder if there has ever been a summer month before that has been so much better up north than down south.

The cricket in Southampton has had 2 full days rained off (World Test Championship final) but if they'd played it at Old Trafford there would barely have been an interruption in play. Possibly for bad light on Monday evening but other than that, play wouldn't have been stopped at all.

A fair bit of sunshine over the past 3 or 4 days too.

• Like 2

Posted

Yes its turning into an odd month, very dry in the north, frontal activity has been very weak. Another front over us know barely bringing a sprinkle. It's been odd to see low pressure disturbances deflected away from here and instead magnet to the south.

Once again this weekend looks like bringing another douse of rain to the south. The north dry.

Rainfall anomalies will make for interesting viewing.

• Like 1

At Paultons Park currently, it’s a cool but sunny morning, cu rapidly building hope infill is t going to ruin the day. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
2 hours ago, Scorcher said:

Yes it's been very good here too- still only 4.6mm of rain at my local weather station in June. I wonder if there has ever been a summer month before that has been so much better up north than down south.

The cricket in Southampton has had 2 full days rained off (World Test Championship final) but if they'd played it at Old Trafford there would barely have been an interruption in play. Possibly for bad light on Monday evening but other than that, play wouldn't have been stopped at all.

A fair bit of sunshine over the past 3 or 4 days too.

I mean the month down here hasn't been a disaster - the first half was very good indeed until the 16th. Warm and sunny. The period 17th-21st though was absolutely awful. No sun, cold and fairly wet. Yesterday was nice though, and today too while the north is a bit cloudier. Could be another period of north doing a lot better than south in the coming days though!

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

At Paultons Park currently, it’s a cool but sunny morning, cu rapidly building hope infill is t going to ruin the day. 

Well infill now obscured 60% of the sky and at just 17C with a breeze it’s feeling pretty cold.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

OK, so is it worth me heading to Dorset for a long weekend as planned, or am I really going to spend all of it inside a motorhome sheltering from the incessant rain in danger of going stir crazy? Surely there a small chance of it just being showers, and I might even get the chance of a bit of outdoor activity? So frustrating, desperate to get away somewhere now.

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

I mean the month down here hasn't been a disaster - the first half was very good indeed until the 16th. Warm and sunny. The period 17th-21st though was absolutely awful. No sun, cold and fairly wet. Yesterday was nice though, and today too while the north is a bit cloudier. Could be another period of north doing a lot better than south in the coming days though!

A bit of cloud around here but still sunny spells today- very decent again without being particularly warm.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Quite cloudy here and only 19°C. Had some heavy showers overnight but not thundery, this time. Severe thunderstorm warnings for overnight tonight and again for overnight Thursday into Friday. Fingers crossed.

Posted
7 hours ago, Azazel said:

I really wanted to finish my front garden this weekend but no, Winter deluges abound!

I wanted to get out there too and do more weeding and I really need oil some more planters! But the weather is too pants and it won't dry ARGH!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
18 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I don't think they would be too happy with 12c and 24 hours of rain.

Well of course not, there is a middle ground. 20°C with sun/clouds is about right.

• Like 1

Posted

Very disappointing today, 14°C and thick cloud. Looking better next week though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

20c and long sunny spells, lovely

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

It's been alright here also; many 20C+ days and rainfall below average for the month of June. There have only been a couple of mediocre days so far this month in my neck of the woods. Southerners on here are talking as if this has been one of the worst Junes on record and that summer is over. They must have been having it bad this month. 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 3

Posted
19 hours ago, Thundershine said:

100% this.

I'm a member of an  international weather forum and the UK's weather is a constant source of derision from US members. People living in places like Florida, Phoenix, and North Carolina are constantly referring to the UK's climate as a "failed erection" and similar sayings, and other US folk much prefer the four season climates with regular snow and thunderstorms that they get. One guy quotes my end of month summaries here in Yorkshire and usually says something like "what kind of Mickey Mouse summers do you GET in the UK?". 80-90°F is basically normal to people in the US, and not too hot at all.

I don't think there's a single US member on the site who would even consider moving to the UK for the weather.

What about people who live in parts of the US that have similar climates to us, such as San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver etc?

But in general I think you’re right, I’ll be watching a vlog on YouTube of someone in the states in summer and they’ll nearly always say the temperature “oh it’s 92 degrees out today so better get that AC and sun cream on!”. Like they admit it’s hot but they don’t seem to mind in fact they embrace it. I guess it’s just differences in culture, a lot of people in the U.K. love to moan a lot. In the US they’re more easy going and more “go with the flow” kind of people.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

What about people who live in parts of the US that have similar climates to us, such as San Francisco, Seattle, Vancouver etc?

But in general I think you’re right, I’ll be watching a vlog on YouTube of someone in the states in summer and they’ll nearly always say the temperature “oh it’s 92 degrees out today so better get that AC and sun cream on!”. Like they admit it’s hot but they don’t seem to mind in fact they embrace it. I guess it’s just differences in culture, a lot of people in the U.K. love to moan a lot. In the US they’re more easy going and more “go with the flow” kind of people.

I know one guy who lives in Seattle, he mocks the UK's climates regularly. Then again Seattle has warmer summers than London (at least max temperatures) and a lot more consistent sun and dry weather. It has a Csb (warm summer Med) type climate.

Posted
Just now, Thundershine said:

I know one guy who lives in Seattle, he mocks the UK's climates regularly. Then again Seattle has warmer summers than London (at least max temperatures) and a lot more consistent sun and dry weather. It has a Csb (warm summer Med) type climate.

Interestingly London is a lot drier than Seattle and has a lot less days with precipitation over the year- remarkably so. Seattle has 156 days with precipitation (considerably more than Manchester even with 142) compared to only 109 days in London. London averages 601 mm annually with Seattle averaging 999 mm. 

Fair to say it's much wetter in Seattle by every measure!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
19 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Interestingly London is a lot drier than Seattle and has a lot less days with precipitation over the year- remarkably so. Seattle has 156 days with precipitation (considerably more than Manchester even with 142) compared to only 109 days in London. London averages 601 mm annually with Seattle averaging 999 mm. 

Fair to say it's much wetter in Seattle by every measure!

It is annually but I was talking about summers (and the guy in Seattle mostly laughs at our summers). I'd prefer a Seattle summer than a London one and London has the best summer in the UK for temps.

Edited by Thundershine

Posted
18 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I must disagree there. It is a climate that is usually at best 'Autumnal ' which is basically the same rubbish all year  . No heat. No cold (thank God). Just grey. Wind. That is it.

That would be a good description of Stornaway’s climate but honestly I don’t think the U.K. summer climate is that bad - especially in the south. Yes of course there are some poor days but there are usually plenty of warm days too.

18 hours ago, mathematician said:

Absolutely, people have no idea what they are talking about. Having spent many years of my life in a much hotter climate i can safely say that, especially in a warming world, the uk has the best summer weather in the entire world.

Wouldn’t say it has the best summer weather in the world but you don’t get extremely hot weather.

20 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

I’m surprised by that as Seattle has a reputation for dull wet weather.

• Like 1