Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!

Winters got miles warmer as everyone knows, but not much change to summers in last 25 years, perhaps on average more low pressure/trough dominance

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

The moans thread really comes alive in summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, markyo said:

The UK has the most mobile weather of nearly any on the planet, boring it is not, trust me baking in those temps is a nightmare, i've been there and worked in temps nudging that, horrific. Give me the UK climate any day!

Absolutely, people have no idea what they are talking about. Having spent many years of my life in a much hotter climate i can safely say that, especially in a warming world, the uk has the best summer weather in the entire world.

• Like 5

Posted
1 minute ago, mathematician said:

Absolutely, people have no idea what they are talking about. Having spent many years of my life in a much hotter climate i can safely say that, especially in a warming world, the uk has the best summer weather in the entire world.

I must disagree there. It is a climate that is usually at best 'Autumnal ' which is basically the same rubbish all year  . No heat. No cold (thank God). Just grey. Wind. That is it.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mathematician said:

Having also spent my life in warmer clims for work I can completely disagree. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
55 minutes ago, Freeze said:

The moans thread really comes alive in summer. 

It wouldn’t if the UK actually had, er, more than 10 minutes of summer. (Let’s ignore the never ending wailing from October to April when anything less than 1962-3 is considered offensive )

• Like 3

1 minute ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I must disagree there. It is a climate that is usually at best 'Autumnal ' which is basically the same rubbish all year  . No heat. No cold (thank God). Just grey. Wind. That is it.

My girlfriend is Lithuanian and grew up in some incredibly harsh western USSR 1980’s winters and is used to -20, -30C etc. She said when she came to the UK for the first and walked off the plane in January in about 2002 (way before I knew her) she said her and friend nearly died in the damp cold that was about 4C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

My girlfriend is Lithuanian and grew up in some incredibly harsh western USSR 1980’s winters and is used to -20, -30C etc. She said when she came to the UK for the first and walked off the plane in January in about 2002 (way before I knew her) she said her and friend nearly died in the damp cold that was about 4C.

Haha, am not surprised. Not much worse than damp cold. My Czech mum still complains about the British summer every year, and she’s been living in west London for 53 years. This is my third summer living in the Czech Republic and I can see why she moans, you actually get seasons here!

• Like 2

Posted
24 minutes ago, mathematician said:

6DC6762B-2F87-437E-8241-06D5A2885CC1.jpeg

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
7 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

Haha, am not surprised. Not much worse than damp cold. My Czech mum still complains about the British summer every year, and she’s been living in west London for 53 years. This is my third summer living in the Czech Republic and I can see why she moans, you actually get seasons here!

And that’s living in a city with a comparable climate to a number of mainland European cities. Imagine if she was living in NW England... 

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I agree. I do not understand why people would want to experience such extreme heat. I bet a lot of the people in the US would love to swap places with our climate. 

I personally love love our temperate maritime climate - cool(ish) summers, mild(ish) winters and not too much baking hot sunshine.

Our climate is the one of the worst in Europe in my opinion. Only Iceland, Norway and Ireland are worse. We have boring cool summers that Germany and even southern Sweden can do better and our winters are mild and dull with little snow.

I understand many people in extreme climates would want to live in a mild climate but I think by mild they mean somewhere like coastal California or coastal Portugal not the UK.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
31 minutes ago, mathematician said:

living on the Canadian Prairies for 11years near enough.. i can safely say summers here are way better than the UK... way sunnier without the oppressive humidity and lots of big supercell t-storms thrown in to boot.

• Like 2

Posted
2 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Our climate is the one of the worst in Europe in my opinion. Only Iceland, Norway and Ireland are worse. We have boring cool summers that Germany and even southern Sweden can do better and our winters are mild and dull with little snow.

I understand many people in extreme climates would want to live in a mild climate but I think by mild they mean somewhere like coastal California or coastal Portugal not the UK.

Exactly. I’ve always said what an ideal country the UK would be to live in if not for the weather (and now the CCP induced politics...). I’m just thankful I live in the south, in a relatively sunny and not so wet part of the country.

• Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, MP-R said:

And that’s living in a city with a comparable climate to a number of mainland European cities. Imagine if she was living in NW England... 

I honestly don’t know how people cope. At least London gets some proper summer weather every year. Just too much cloud and wind thrown in. If it was sunnier, it would be much more enjoyable. The default grey dullness is hard to take. 

• Like 1

Posted
25 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I don't understand that... Do they not get damp cold there in Autumn or Spring? Or sometimes these days in Winter?

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, stainesbloke said:

I honestly don’t know how people cope. At least London gets some proper summer weather every year. Just too much cloud and wind thrown in. If it was sunnier, it would be much more enjoyable. The default grey dullness is hard to take. 

As someone said before, it’s the cloudy boring holding pattern that really drains... I think I could handle wind and rain on the rare occasion it happens in summer if the remaining time between that and heat was largely sunny... Same goes for the rest of the year tbh.

Re London, I’ve always thought, for the very decent summer temperatures it experiences, it’s sunshine is a big let down, maybe because of convective cloud build up, I’m not sure.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
30 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

100 days!!! which model are they looking at then I'd like to know

Screenshot_20210622-223406.png

"Only" 30C?  That's 10 degrees less than they were saying last year, and the year before that.  Blimey, I wonder how cold the rest of the summer will actually be..  Will have to buy a few copies of the express for use as firewood at this rate

Posted

I might be a bit of a sad old git but I follow the England cricket team around the globe. I am not a member of the Barmy Army. But me and 2 or 3 mates sort out our intinery and off we go. Usually the winter tours take us to the likes of South Africa.  Australia. Sri Lanka, New Zealand. I can honestly say no where I have been gets a 'summer' like we get here. Even New Zealand in March is still lovely and warm. Its normally shorts and t shirts. Not winter coats.  Unbelievable. 

Posted

Like the sound of the new Met office update 

Sunday 27 Jun - Tuesday 6 Jul

Sunday will likely see heavy, thundery showers across the south of the UK, potentially turning torrential. Elsewhere will likely be cloudy with a few showers. Temperatures rather warm and humid in the south, to nearer normal elsewhere. Confidence is then low later in the period, although on balance a lot of fine and dry weather is most likely, however, there are signals for some brief unsettled periods with southern and eastern areas seeing showers, and perhaps more prolonged rain in the northwest. Temperatures will most likely be above normal, with the potential for some very warm or hot days in the south. Winds will probably be light to moderate throughout, with a westerly flow across northern areas, and an Easterly flow across the south.

Updated: 15:00 (UTC+1) on Tue 22 Jun 2021

Wednesday 7 Jul - Wednesday 21 Jul

Although confidence remains low, in general settled conditions are likely, with a few brief more unsettled spells possible. Some northwestern areas will likely see brief spells rain and cloudy conditions at times, as well as a continued risk for periods of heavy rain or thunderstorms especially across the south. Above-average temperatures continue to be well signalled, with the chance of some very warm or hot days to come.

Updated: 16:00 (UTC+1) on Tue 22 Jun 2021

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mathematician said:

Always think southern Scandinavia has a good summer climate. Drier than here, sunnier and a bit warmer. They have the 4 seasons!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Climate wise I would much rather live in the UK than Lithuania. Horrible winters and summers aren't all that special either on average. I have been to Lithuania too 

• Like 2

Posted
12 minutes ago, damianslaw said:

Always think southern Scandinavia has a good summer climate. Drier than here, sunnier and a bit warmer. They have the 4 seasons!

Very slow springs though compared to the UK usually- they had some serious cold in May this year in Sweden.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Nice to see that yellow thing in the sky appearing again yesterday, and waking up to blue skies today! Will make the most before what looks like a disappointing few days coming up from Friday onewards!

• Like 1

Posted
8 hours ago, MP-R said:

As someone said before, it’s the cloudy boring holding pattern that really drains... I think I could handle wind and rain on the rare occasion it happens in summer if the remaining time between that and heat was largely sunny... Same goes for the rest of the year tbh.

Re London, I’ve always thought, for the very decent summer temperatures it experiences, it’s sunshine is a big let down, maybe because of convective cloud build up, I’m not sure.

Yes, pointless infill is a repetitive issue. Many a day ruined by it. Also that awful North Sea clag Like you say, if it was sunnier and had less wind, it would have quite a nice climate. 

• Like 1