Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
6 hours ago, Alderc said:

I found summer!!! Western Canada!! Same latitude as southern England 

This is possibly the most remarkable forecast I’ve ever seen!

D59DD2BC-B805-403A-A254-751414C25441.thumb.jpeg.00c215cd3b5be5700b493b4883efee04.jpeg

My Canadian apps have 42oC for those dates. Which I think would be more realistic. Even so, that in itself would be a record for Kamloops, though not unusual to get into the 40’s in summer in interior BC. Places like Osooyoos, which is close to a desertlike climate, often get into the 40’s . The average temperature there for the 3 summer months is above 30oC. The set up this week will certainly see records broken around W Canada I think. 

Posted

So currently Moscow is going through a heatwave with maxes of 37c possible and there’s parts of Canada facing temps of around 40-45. The weather has lost its mind!

Edited by Frigid
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
13 minutes ago, Frigid said:

So currently Moscow is going through a heatwave with maxes of 37c possible and there’s parts of Canada facing temps of around 40-45. The weather has lost its mind!

Yep its going to get pretty hot pretty quick here..29c today..bit of a cool down tomorrow then it shoots up to between 35c-38c by the end of the weekend..good job i have AC

• Like 1

Posted
20 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

My Canadian apps have 42oC for those dates. Which I think would be more realistic. Even so, that in itself would be a record for Kamloops, though not unusual to get into the 40’s in summer in interior BC. Places like Osooyoos, which is close to a desertlike climate, often get into the 40’s . The average temperature there for the 3 summer months is above 30oC. The set up this week will certainly see records broken around W Canada I think. 

Im in Prince George BC next week has a temp of 38c which im sure would be record for there..wont break the record for Edmonton..which weirdly has its highest ever temp recorded for any month was set in June and stands at 37.2c..we might get 35c here 

Posted

a week ago today and after 6 weeks of intense online learning and then 4 tuesday evenings of face to face coaching i qualified as an ECB level 1 cricket coach, im begining to think waterpolo might have been a better sport to get into, looks like things are going to get wet again, lol

• Like 1

Posted

The U.K. is so boring climate wise. Parts of the western USA have seen 50C and even some midwestern areas saw over 40C earlier in June. Next week is a true scorcher in the Pacific Northwest.

ED473EF4-74E8-4C68-9B6D-B0DEEEF86A46.jpeg

Posted
19 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

Im in Prince George BC next week has a temp of 38c which im sure would be record for there..wont break the record for Edmonton..which weirdly has its highest ever temp recorded for any month was set in June and stands at 37.2c..we might get 35c here 

If Prince George gets to 38oC that’ll break their all time highest temperature. Which would follow the record cold they recorded in January of -44oC. Would be quite the year for them for record breaking temps. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
14 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

The U.K. is so boring climate wise. Parts of the western USA have seen 50C and even some midwestern areas saw over 40C earlier in June. Next week is a true scorcher in the Pacific Northwest.

The UK has the most mobile weather of nearly any on the planet, boring it is not, trust me baking in those temps is a nightmare, i've been there and worked in temps nudging that, horrific. Give me the UK climate any day!

• Like 6

Posted
6 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

If Prince George gets to 38oC that’ll break their all time highest temperature. Which would follow the record cold they recorded in January of -44oC. Would be quite the year for them for record breaking temps. 

It seems like global warming is taking effect everywhere apart from.....................

• Like 1

Posted
19 minutes ago, Coopsy said:

not sure where you got -44c in January from? PG lowest temp in Jan 2021 was -17.3c..lowest temp this winter was -37.4c set in February 

Edited by cheeky_monkey

Posted
50 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Could be worse, you could be living in the Azores.........

Posted
26 minutes ago, cheeky_monkey said:

not sure where you got -44c in January from? PG lowest temp in Jan 2021 was -17.3c..lowest temp this winter was -37.4c set in February 

I’m still in 2020. That was last year d’oh ?‍♂️So potential of record high and low within a year of each other 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The UK hasn't lacked record high temperatures in recent years to be fair.  Three months set records in 2019: February (21.2C), July (38.7C) and December (18.7C).  Also in February 2021 Braemar recorded the lowest February minimum since 1955 (-23.0C).  August 2020 had a very notable heatwave.

My main criticism of this climate is the high frequency of setups with lots of cloud, the odd bit of sun and the odd bit of rain, and not much going on, but the lack of temperatures well into the 40s Celsius is not something I'd criticise our climate for.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 6

On a scale of 0-10 with 10 being 28-32C and clear blue skies and 0 being 13C and rain all day (exactly like Friday and yesterday) today maybe managed 4, 17-18C after a drizzly start a couple hours of sun. Might managed a 6 or so tomorrow before the 0-2's can out again Fri-Sun. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Alderc said:

On a scale of 0-10 with 10 being 28-32C and clear blue skies and 0 being 13C and rain all day (exactly like Friday and yesterday) today maybe managed 4, 17-18C after a drizzly start a couple hours of sun. Might managed a 6 or so tomorrow before the 0-2's can out again Fri-Sun. 

It's truly shocking. I watched footy last night and it was 10/11 at night St Petersburg Russia . Belgium v Finland. Still up in the mid high 20's. No wind. No rain.  No cloud. Just beautiful summer warmth. What did we get? A frost. Unbelievable. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, Azazel said:

Yep, for all of 2 days out of 363 it was too hot for trousers in the office! 

I would have just pulled a sickie if I were you. That's what I would do lol.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, TheOgre said:

3 hours ago, markyo said:

The UK has the most mobile weather of nearly any on the planet, boring it is not, trust me baking in those temps is a nightmare, i've been there and worked in temps nudging that, horrific. Give me the UK climate any day!

I agree. I do not understand why people would want to experience such extreme heat. I bet a lot of the people in the US would love to swap places with our climate. 

I personally love love our temperate maritime climate - cool(ish) summers, mild(ish) winters and not too much baking hot sunshine.

• Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I wouldn't really say that our climate is boring as such, but it does seem that blocking patterns are becoming more common. I think this June has been alright as it has been a bit of a mixed bag, but it certainly isn't uncommon to get weeks of one type of weather before switching to another weather pattern for a few weeks. Take the cool dry April for example, and then after that the cool washout May - blocking patterns aren't exactly the best for plants and wildlife. Still, it gives us something to have a good moan about I guess. That is what these forums are for right? 

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I wouldn't really say that our climate is boring as such, but it does seem that blocking patterns are becoming more common. I think this June has been alright as it has been a bit of a mixed bag, but it certainly isn't uncommon to get weeks of one type of weather before switching to another weather pattern for a few weeks. Take the cool dry April for example, and then after that the cool washout May - blocking patterns aren't exactly the best for plants and wildlife. Still, it gives us something to have a good moan about I guess. That is what these forums are for right? 

Our climates is boring, it varies from cold dark and mostly unusable to light, damp, mild and unusable. 

Posted
32 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I agree. I do not understand why people would want to experience such extreme heat. I bet a lot of the people in the US would love to swap places with our climate. 

I personally love love our temperate maritime climate - cool(ish) summers, mild(ish) winters and not too much baking hot sunshine.

I don't think they would be too happy with 12c and 24 hours of rain.

30 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I disagree with you hugely on that. While some parts of the US have oppressive summers large parts of the year are much more palatable than our climate. Bet there’s not too many in California or Florida complaining about their climate and would swap it for ours. I talk to people in Tampa pretty much everyday, they are horrified when I tell them it’s 15C in summer and we haven’t seen the sun in 4 days. Plus another thing, almost everywhere in the US has at least 2,000hrs of sun, most 2,500-3,500hrs. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I disagree with you hugely on that. While some parts of the US have oppressive summers large parts of the year are much more palatable than our climate. Bet there’s not too many in California or Florida complaining about their climate and would swap it for ours. I talk to people in Tampa pretty much everyday, they are horrified when I tell them it’s 15C in summer and we haven’t seen the sun in 4 days. Plus another thing, almost everywhere in the US has at least 2,000hrs of sun, most 2,500-3,500hrs. 

100% this.

I'm a member of an  international weather forum and the UK's weather is a constant source of derision from US members. People living in places like Florida, Phoenix, and North Carolina are constantly referring to the UK's climate as a "failed erection" and similar sayings, and other US folk much prefer the four season climates with regular snow and thunderstorms that they get. One guy quotes my end of month summaries here in Yorkshire and usually says something like "what kind of Mickey Mouse summers do you GET in the UK?". 80-90°F is basically normal to people in the US, and not too hot at all.

I don't think there's a single US member on the site who would even consider moving to the UK for the weather.

Edited by Thundershine

5 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

100% this.

I'm a member of an  international weather forum and the UK's weather is a constant source of derision from US members. People living in places like Florida, Phoenix, and North Carolina are constantly referring to the UK's climate as a "failed erection" and similar sayings, and other folk enjoy the four season climates with regular snow and thunderstorms that they get. One guy quotes my end of month summaries here in Yorkshire and usually says something like "what kind of Mickey Mouse summers do you GET in the UK?". 80-90°F is basically normal to people in the US, and not too hot at all.

Yep, my boss in is New York, doesn’t take his suit jacket off until it’s well into the 90’s. 

He was over here in July 2018 and we were down the beach having dinner on a day that had been about 29C, we were all in T-shirts and shorts and he had a pullover on over a shirt. 

Edited by Alderc

Posted
6 minutes ago, Thundershine said:

100% this.

I'm a member of an  international weather forum and the UK's weather is a constant source of derision from US members. People living in places like Florida, Phoenix, and North Carolina are constantly referring to the UK's climate as a "failed erection" and similar sayings, and other US folk much prefer the four season climates with regular snow and thunderstorms that they get. One guy quotes my end of month summaries here in Yorkshire and usually says something like "what kind of Mickey Mouse summers do you GET in the UK?". 80-90°F is basically normal to people in the US, and not too hot at all.

I don't think there's a single US member on the site who would even consider moving to the UK for the weather.

Oh for a summer of 80f . Not having to put a coat on because its 55f. Grey clouds. Cold winds. Rain. Just a bit of warmth for about 10 weeks. 70 days out of 365. Not a massive ask ? Why should we have to put up with winter in the middle of summer? Weird.  And where has global warming gone. Supposed to be long hot summers. Joke. We had 3 decent summers in the last 25 years. Shocking.

• Like 1