Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
31 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Sad times the heating is now on. The rain is coming down as hard as it has all day and I have all my lights on...Utterly ridiculous. 

It has just been drizzly rubbish here, despite the forecast saying heavy rain. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
34 minutes ago, al78 said:

Context is everything. The logical interpretation to "staying at home" here is staying in your home country whilst holidaying, otherwise everyone would be on a staycation whenever they were in their house, which is a ridiculous interpretation of the word.

Why a ridiculous interpretation? You are just using the American term that became used for a short spell in 2008. Now it is no longer used even there. You can be on holiday but also at home, that is obvious, to holiday in the UK is not a "staycation", there seems this fixation that a holiday requires international travel, it does not, it never has done. You've got the context totally wrong i'm afraid. If i have a week off work and stay at home, that is a staycation, if i have a week in the Lakes that's a holiday!!

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

It has just been drizzly rubbish here, despite the forecast saying heavy rain. 

I’m getting fed up with Eastern European countries that have similar averages temps to the uk just constantly getting decent summer weather year on year while we mop up the crud. Siberia hot again, Russia hot, Baltic hot. Finland hot. Pretty much everywhere except here. UK is now one of only 3 countries in all of Europe to not see 30c yet this year, what a surprise…

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
2 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I’m getting fed up with Eastern European countries that have similar averages temps to the uk just constantly getting decent summer weather year on year while we mop up the crud. Siberia hot again, Russia hot, Baltic hot. Finland hot. Pretty much everywhere except here. UK is now one of only 3 countries in all of Europe to not see 30c yet this year, what a surprise…

The only consolation is that my June rainfall total is still below average, even after today. It looks likely that it won't go any higher for the rest of the month either. If that does happen, this June will still be drier than last year, 2019, 2017 and 2016. 
The let down has been sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Quite amusing reading all these moaning posts. Been fine here, if rather cloudy today. We had 3 hours of rain on Saturday night and that has been it.

Hit 20c around dinner time.

Edited by CreweCold

Posted

There’s an east midland word, ‘rammel’ which has best described the weather for the past few days. Especially at the peak of midsummer. 

Hope is there for better days to come. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine and 15-25c
1 hour ago, al78 said:

Context is everything. The logical interpretation to "staying at home" here is staying in your home country whilst holidaying, otherwise everyone would be on a staycation whenever they were in their house, which is a ridiculous interpretation of the word.

not really it refers to when you book time off and don't go anywhere..half terms are a classic example.. doing day trips with the kids or just staying home and dossing around in the garden etc 

Posted
4 minutes ago, HellItsHot said:

There’s an east midland word, ‘rammel’ which has best described the weather for the past few days. Especially at the peak of midsummer. 

Hope is there for better days to come. 

Yep know that word, grandad used to use it. He was from Staffordshire though so think it must be a wider Midlands term.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
23 minutes ago, CreweCold said:

Quite amusing reading all these moaning posts. Been fine here, if rather cloudy today. We had 3 hours of rain on Saturday night and that has been it.

Hit 20c around dinner time.

Well, I don’t live in Crewe!

The last 5 days here have been 14/13/13/11/17c, during which I have recorded 0 hours of sunshine. That might be some sort of record….absolutely disgusting for the longest days of the year. More like October or November  

Edited by mb018538
  • Like 2

Posted
Just now, mb018538 said:

Well, I don’t live in Crewe!

Consider yourself fortunate 

Posted
37 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Yes and I'm pretty sure they also got at least 2 weeks of heat in May whilst we were suffering 4 and a half weeks of revolting puke. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

A couple of periods of very light rain over here today as well as the temp being on the cool side. But certainly not as bad as what some others on here have been experiencing by the sounds of it.

just looked back on the radar, looks like it started raining about 03:05 this morning, there might have been about 10minutes around 3pm it stopped but its still raining now, unbelievable Jeff.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

just looked back on the radar, looks like it started raining about 03:05 this morning, there might have been about 10minutes around 3pm it stopped but its still raining now, unbelievable Jeff.

I'm not far from you and it really has been one of the most miserable June days I can ever remember!  So cold that I put the heating on around 11 am and it's still clicking on and off now!  I hate the weather in this country.

• Like 1

Posted

It's all about the synoptics, sometimes we see sluggish set ups where some places fayre much better than others. On this occasion the position of the azores high has dealt a poor blow for many southern parts, whilst NW parts especially here have been spared the rain. All swings and roundabouts. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal and interesting weather including summer storms and winter snow

John Hammond reckons this could be one of the coldist solstices for decades. Certainly feels like it with steady 'spotty' rain all day. Another 7mm +. Ironic that many northern and n/w areas are much drier than usual with even some talk of a drought. 16 deg forecast tomorrow then 20 on wednesday...wow...at least its better than what we have now...which is not difficult

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Confirmation if needed of how dreadful today was. 

Not really surprising though is it, you'd expect Dec 21st to be dominated by SW'lys, and June 21st complete opposite with E/NE'lys, for the south anyway

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
8 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The utterly dreadful conditions continue in parts of the UK, sadly. 12°C at lunchtime in London on the summer solstice is a joke, and it’s been horrible there for quite a few days now. Already 31°C here in Prague with severe thunderstorm warnings for later today/overnight (under Estofex Level 2). A big storm system moved up from S Germany overnight and brushed past the W of the Czech Republic. I could see the very distant lightning quite clearly, it was pretty frequent and bright. Was a bit of a steamy night here, 26°C at 1am

26c and distant lightning at night..  That's my idea of heaven, reminds me of 23/24 July 19 and bits of last August too.  Plenty of summer left yet for that to happen..

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

If it doesn't reach 30 here by months end, it will be the 1st summer month since August 2017 not to reach that figure.  In fact, 33c has been reached every june July and august since 2018 somewhere in the UK.

This is despite the overall feel of the month being very reasonable (up to now anyway)

• Like 1

Posted

We've had hardly any rain in this spell (barring a couple of hours late Saturday night) but also hardly any sun either. Its unreal how any kind of NW/SE or W/E split just gives us cloudy boring dross; it happens when the SE gets the heat now its happening when the NW has the sunshine. We get the same weather from opposite setups.

But, is it just round here that this month has felt decidedly reminiscent of June 2006? That started with a lot of fine warm weather until the football started, then we had a good 10-12 days of tedious cloudy crud though not very wet, before it started warming up again right at the end. I think the SE kept the good weather right through, so the opposite setup but it felt very similar weatherwise.

Posted

The last 4 maximum temperatures for Warminster, Wiltshire are

13.0c, 13.5c, 14.0c, 12.2c

June 18th, 19th, 20th and 21st!!!!

About 1 minute of hazy sun yesterday teatime is the sum total of these 4 days!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
5 hours ago, markyo said:

So so very true, by far one of the UK's least known or thought of locations, the perfect summer holiday, they look stunning in the photo. ....just one point, that is a UK holiday, a staycation is when you stay at home, there has ben a load of argument about this!....not that i ever try to stir things up on here, heaven forbid

5 hours ago, al78 said:

The common understanding of the term "staycation" is not going abroad i.e. *stay*ing in the UK, *cation* referring to holidaying.

4 hours ago, suffolk lady said:

Agree staycation is when you stay at home, when you go away to somewhere abroad or in the uk that is going on holiday and always was, just a stupid gimmick to sell holidays in the uk is the dreamed up word staycation.

4 hours ago, markyo said:

Sorry your wrong, that is the American term, the UK staycation is staying at home.

og-image.png
DICTIONARY.CAMBRIDGE.ORG

1. a holiday that you take at home or near your home rather than travelling to…

4 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Yeah it’s a stupid modern term. A holiday can be a holiday in the UK, and was for the majority of people for many years. Only since European travel got cheap this got flipped and if you had a UK holiday it was a staycation.

4 hours ago, al78 said:

From Wikipedia: 

"A staycation (a portmanteau of "stay" and "vacation"), or holistay (a portmanteau of "holiday" and "stay"), is a period in which an individual or family stays home and participates in leisure activities within day trip distance of their home and does not require overnight accommodation.[1] In British English the term has increasingly come to refer to domestic tourism: taking a holiday in one's own country as opposed to travelling abroad.[2][3][4][5]

Relaxing in a backyard swimming pool is one of the activities sometimes enjoyed during a staycation.

In Hong Kong, the term may refer to a domestic tourism vacation at a hotel elsewhere in the territory[citation needed]

Common activities of a staycation include use of a backyard pool, visits to local parks and museums, and attendance at local festivals and amusement parks. Some staycationers also like to follow a set of rules, such as setting a start and end date, planning ahead, and avoiding routine, with the goal of creating the feel of a traditional vacation.[6]

Staycations achieved popularity in the U.S. during the financial crisis of 2007–2010.[7][8]Staycations also became a popular phenomenon in the UK in 2009 as a weak pound sterling made overseas holidays significantly more expensive.[9][dubious – discuss]

In 2020, staycations became common due to the COVID-19 pandemic.[10]"

1200px-Backyardpool.jpg
EN.M.WIKIPEDIA.ORG

So you're kind of all right.