Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
2 minutes ago, Cleeve Hill said:

Just back from a week on the Northumberland coast. I’ve been fortunate enough to see a lot of beaches in my time but you’d find is difficult to beat those Northumberland beaches. This is the view to Farne Islands from Bamburgh. 

Last weeks weather was fab. No rain, lots of sun and around 18c I reckon. 

Northumberland is so unspoilt, it’s a real gem for a staycation 

55D9965E-E002-49DC-8E0B-4B7C62D30492.jpeg

Does it have any wild beaches?

What I mean about by that is, are there any forest areas or open countryside areas?

The beaches are nicer when you move away from the towns. However, I do like the Seven Sisters cliff top trail. You feel like there’s lots of space and the air is fresh.

I would like to visit to north east coasts, but it takes a bit of planning as I live in London and don’t own a car.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes, the very hot and the very cold.
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

Does it have any wild beaches?

What I mean about by that is, are there any forest areas or open countryside areas?

The beaches are nicer when you move away from the towns. However, I do like the Seven Sisters cliff top trail. You feel like there’s lots of space and the air is fresh.

I would like to visit to north east coasts, but it takes a bit of planning as I live in London and don’t own a car.

There are the Cheviot Hills and Northumberland National Park. A very unspoilt part of the UK. The Northumberland Coast Path was very popular last week. Also great place for bird life for those interested in that. Also good rail network. 

• Like 1

Posted

There are loads more people on here who know loads more than me about weather.  But I would be interested to see if there is anywhere else at the UK latitude in the entire Northern Hemisphere that is experiencing such poor cold wet conditions as the UK. Just seems to me over the last 25 years that any extreme rubbish weather during summer is always here. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Cleeve Hill said:

Just back from a week on the Northumberland coast. I’ve been fortunate enough to see a lot of beaches in my time but you’d find is difficult to beat those Northumberland beaches. This is the view to Farne Islands from Bamburgh. 

Last weeks weather was fab. No rain, lots of sun and around 18c I reckon. 

Northumberland is so unspoilt, it’s a real gem for a staycation 

55D9965E-E002-49DC-8E0B-4B7C62D30492.jpeg

Yes it’s a beautiful part of the country and alougth summer temperatures are subdued in the north-east, they don’t get much rain and don’t do too badly for sunshine.

• Like 1

Posted
1 minute ago, weathermadbarnsleylad said:

Cracking pub run so far. 

For heat?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm
3 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

For heat?

Yes I think it may be drunk mid high 20s by the weekend 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow freezing fog heatwave thunderstorm

Max temps Friday getting warmer every day after

ukmaxtemp.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots

I don't remember a summer solstice this bad for years and years. Looks to be a washout all day long along the south coast.

• Like 2

I seem to have slept so well I’ve woken up in November. Cold and wet, great first days holiday! Today will be spent playing fortnite! What a waste! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
37 minutes ago, Alderc said:

I seem to have slept so well I’ve woken up in November. Cold and wet, great first days holiday! Today will be spent playing fortnite! What a waste! 

Closer the bedroom window for the first time this month last night. Very glad I did as it’s 11°C this morning!

17 minutes ago, MP-R said:

Closer the bedroom window for the first time this month last night. Very glad I did as it’s 11°C this morning!

Yup, it’s floating between 11 & 12C here too, unlikely to change as well. Today exceptionally cold and as bad as it can get really. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow events / Wind storms

I must be the only one on the forum loving this cooler weather, I'd love for it to continue!

I'm in a tiny south facing bedroom with a room packed full of PC's, usually the windows are wide open and the hallway door open too to let the air out.

Currently 12.4c outside, 23.2c indoors, last Weds after being out all day with the door closed (windows open & PC's running) I came home to a room temp of 36.4c :cold-emoji:

Edited by Essex Easterly
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Yes, Met Office forecast for Horsham is 12-13C all day with 20 hours of continuous rain. Probably about as bad as the weather can get at this time of year without being destructive. Most of my holidays in the Scottish Highlands over the last 30 years have had better weather than the SE has had over the last four days. Spoke to my father yesterday who lives in Salford and it has been bone dry up there whilst I've been rained on almost every day over the last week.

Edited by al78

Posted
7 minutes ago, Essex Easterly said:

I must be the only one on the forum loving this cooler weather, I'd love for it to continue!

I'm in a tiny south facing bedroom with a room packed full of PC's, usually the windows are wide open and the hallway door open too to let the air out.

Currently 12.4c outside, 23.2c indoors, last Weds after being out all day with the door closed (windows open & PC's running) I came home to a room temp of 36.4c :cold-emoji:

I'm not exactly loving it, I do appreciate the cooler nights and cooler daytime temperatures are beneficial for outdoor pursuits. This however is swinging the pendulum too far. It shouldn't have to be a choice between blazing sunshine/energy sapping humidity and time travel to an active Atlantic in mid December. 18-25C with sunshine and occasional rain would be great for me, you know, like near average conditions, is that too much to hope for?

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Seasonal Disparity: Cold and Snowy Winters, Sunny and Warm Summers.

Hi all, new here but enjoy discussing the British weather so thought I'd join in .

In London we have not seen the sun, as in not even a single ray poking through, nor a scrap of light, since Wednesday. Very unusual in the South for June to have 5 days on the trot of consistent 100% overcast and rain. Looks to be 7 days of it by the time Wednesday rolls around. A balmy 13 degrees currently, which for late June is appalling. We have had to put our heating on (dont recall ever doing that in late June before) after having the fans on just a week ago.

I'm very jealous of my friend who lives in St Petersburg currently enjoying 30 degrees. Even my old uni-mate from Sweden is enjoying some sun for their Midsommar! UK weather can truly be woeful at times. It can be much like Iceland but just a tad warmer and with less beautiful landscapes.

I can recall many sunny December days feeling warmer than this. This seems like a return to the unseasonably cool and wet weather we were having throughout the whole of May. Its almost exactly the same conditions. And such a shame to have this grimness on the longest 'brightest' days of the year. This is why I hate it when people complain about the warmth / sun (like we had at the begining of June for a week or so), because it is so short-lived and could be followed by an entire week of autumn-like temps where the sun doesnt shine for days on end! 

I can see that those in the North arent doing too badly right now...have our weather patterns shifted!? Good for you lads up there. Because I'm currently feeling like I'm in the Scottish Highlands, with the low teens and drizzle which is generally the weather I have when hiking up there In Summer.

• Like 5

Posted
11 hours ago, weathermadbarnsleylad said:

Max temps Friday getting warmer every day after

ukmaxtemp.png

Looks like low 20s for me in Northwest England which suits me fine.

3 hours ago, Lance M said:

I don't remember a summer solstice this bad for years and years. Looks to be a washout all day long along the south coast.

31 minutes ago, al78 said:

Yes, Met Office forecast for Horsham is 12-13C all day with 20 hours of continuous rain. Probably about as bad as the weather can get at this time of year without being destructive. Most of my holidays in the Scottish Highlands over the last 30 years have had better weather than the SE has had over the last four days. Spoke to my father yesterday who lives in Salford and it has been bone dry up there whilst I've been rained on almost every day over the last week.

I wonder why the weather is so bad in the south at the moment? Usually at this time of year the south is usually a lot warmer and drier than the north, as the jet stream runs across Northern Scotland bringing all the low pressure systems up there, while the south is drier and warmer. I’m not complaining though, I remember in summer 2017 the south got all the good weather while me up north got rain every other day.

Posted

Dull and overcast today here in East Lancs, and feeling cool at only 14°. Yesterday was cloudy to until the evening when the Sun came out, but even under the cloud it was still brighter than today.  Looks to only be a one day blip though as after today we are back to 18/19° and a mixture of sun/clouds. Still no rain though, only had a tiny bit on Sunday morning, grass dry today. Looking at the BBC weather forecast the rain symbol is which was forecast for later in the week has disappeared again. The drought conditions continue here.

To be honest I’m not feeling well today after coming down with a cold, so the weather can do what it likes for all I care.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Not really a waste, spent many a day playing computer games and loved it.

Posted
33 minutes ago, al78 said:

I'm not exactly loving it, I do appreciate the cooler nights and cooler daytime temperatures are beneficial for outdoor pursuits. This however is swinging the pendulum too far. It shouldn't have to be a choice between blazing sunshine/energy sapping humidity and time travel to an active Atlantic in mid December. 18-25C with sunshine and occasional rain would be great for me, you know, like near average conditions, is that too much to hope for?

It’s not active Atlantic though is it! It’s stagnant low pressure and slow moving rain. The only dry daytime hours here since Thursday were Saturday until mid afternoon (when it was extremely dull anyway) and for a few one hour periods yesterday.

Active Atlantic weather would have bands of rain with sunshine in between. At least then it might be a sunny morning then wet afternoon or vice versa!

Four days with 1 minute of hazy sunshine yesterday teatime around the longest days of the year is ridiculous!

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Looks like low 20s for me in Northwest England which suits me fine.

I wonder why the weather is so bad in the south at the moment? Usually at this time of year the south is usually a lot warmer and drier than the north, as the jet stream runs across Northern Scotland bringing all the low pressure systems up there, while the south is drier and warmer. I’m not complaining though, I remember in summer 2017 the south got all the good weather while me up north got rain every other day.

I've just had a brief look at the Met Office surface pressure chart for midnight today. It looks like the Azores high has ridged over the northern half of the UK and the south is under the influence of low pressure moving across northern France. This low is throwing a wavy front north along the channel which is generating persistent cloud and rain over southern England. I think last Friday was an example of that classic summer killer, the southern tracking low which was very slow moving and sat over the Midlands and south for the whole day. There is a glimmer of hope in the Met Office forecast in that the Azores ridge is forecast to expand and influence the south by mid-week, which should lead to temperatures nearer average and an end to the chronic dullness.

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

It’s not active Atlantic though is it! It’s stagnant low pressure and slow moving rain. The only dry daytime hours here since Thursday were Saturday until mid afternoon (when it was extremely dull anyway) and for a few one hour periods yesterday.

Active Atlantic weather would have bands of rain with sunshine in between. At least then it might be a sunny morning then wet afternoon or vice versa!

Four days with 1 minute of hazy sunshine yesterday teatime around the longest days of the year is ridiculous!

Technically you are right, but it is a similar effect, cloud and rain dominating, like winter 2013/14 with less rain and wind.

Posted
14 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s also a lot colder up there than London, especially when that wind is blowing off the cold North Sea! The average summer high there is only 18°, a good 5° cooler than London.

5 minutes ago, Andy Bown said:

An active at Lantic would also typically bring the most unsettled conditions to the northern half of the country, as usually with access that you have low pressure to the north and high-pressure to the south, which gives the self the best weather. Of course if you have northern blocking then the jet stream tends to gets shoved southwards bringing the worst conditions to the south the north gets better weather closer to the high-pressure.

33 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not really a waste, spent many a day playing computer games and loved it.

Would rather be working on my tan to be honest. Still levelling up nicely so little boy will be happy lol 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

The utterly dreadful conditions continue in parts of the UK, sadly. 12°C at lunchtime in London on the summer solstice is a joke, and it’s been horrible there for quite a few days now. Already 31°C here in Prague with severe thunderstorm warnings for later today/overnight (under Estofex Level 2). A big storm system moved up from S Germany overnight and brushed past the W of the Czech Republic. I could see the very distant lightning quite clearly, it was pretty frequent and bright. Was a bit of a steamy night here, 26°C at 1am

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Thanks 1