Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

By the time this c-rap spell is out of the way, it will have cancelled out the warm sunny spell down here.

So sunshine now at 68% here of average here, so pretty average given we are two thirds the way through the month however that’s a lower percentage than most of England but also given the forecast it’s seems highly unlikely we’ll get anywhere near average now. 

Also we were averaging a daily max of 22.4C up to Thursday, which is impressive for here in early June however in just two days that’s down to 21.4C, by Tuesday we’ll probably be completely back down to average. That’s a rapid flip around June all of a sudden looking very ordinary! 

Posted
59 minutes ago, Stabilo19 said:

It's been awful here, just about as worse as it gets for summer in this region. Cool, near constant rain/drizzle and almost zero sunlight for days. 

No doubt it'll probably be 37°C in a few weeks, as is often the case with our erratic weather of recent years. 

I’ll take the weather we’ve had recently with most days between 24-28c, warm enough to not need a jacket and to feel comfortable in shorts, while also not being too hot.

Even as a heat lover, I notice once the temp hits 29-30c, it feels almost as uncomfortable as 32-35c, as the heat feels just as strong.

The odd few days of 17-20c and cloud is ok, so long as it doesn’t become dominant for 2-3 weeks at a time, which ate into half of last summer, following the lovely sunny and record breaking sunny spring.

That said, even if we have some dull periods, as long as it stays dry it will be ok.

For anyone heading to the coast, it’s much nicer when the temps are into the 23-28c bracket. A breeze and 22c can feel chilly by the coast at this time of year. 

Anyway, I’m sure the warm sunny weather will be back. 

• Like 1

Posted

Literally not a peek of sun in London since Wednesday this is very exceptional, even with June 2012 only managed 2 consecutive days with 0.0 hours.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

we have had about 32 hrs from thursday to now and im currently in blue skies here in Dublin. We have only had 0.8mm of rain too a rarity for us .

• Like 1

Posted
21 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Literally not a peek of sun in London since Wednesday this is very exceptional, even with June 2012 only managed 2 consecutive days with 0.0 hours.

But, London has done quite well for sunny weather during the first half, which has provided some much needed long sunny evenings. Something that was missing during much of May this year, apart from the last few days.

• Like 1

Posted
24 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

Come to the Lake District, and you'll find the sunshine. Lots since Wednesday, it's a role reverse at present, Cumbria experiencing what East Anglia and SE normally have, a rarity, but not too unusual in early stages of summer.. things tend to reverse back to normal come July!

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: clear skies , hard frost , snow !

yep no sun here in Cobham since Wed afternoon terrible June weather !!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

Been out for a walk this morning, and outside it feels like those episodes of tropical maritime muck we periodically get in autumn/early winter. Days of dull clag, spitty spotty rain, and double figure temperatures. Only difference is the temperature is a few degrees warmer than it would be in winter. This is normally the summer weather I get in the Scottish highlands. This year I holiday there and get average SE summer temperatures, come home and get typical Fort William weather.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

But, London has done quite well for sunny weather during the first half, which has provided some much needed long sunny evenings. Something that was missing during much of May this year, apart from the last few days.

Yes, it is shame though that the sunny weather was accompanied by overnight temperatures colder than many winter months, and daytime temperatures were mediocre to poor apart from one or two days. A waste of an anticyclone in the warmer months of the year if we are going to have polar air dumped on us for a whole month. It is like having southerly winds from Spain/Med/N Africa in January.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

A few surprise blue holes starting to appear .   This will be it until weds!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
17 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ve never worn t shirts, let alone shorts with temps below 16c. 17-18c maybe,  but 15c always feels too chilly. 

Not even in full sun? I’ve worn shorts as low as 10°C, however it was full sun and light winds on a March day so it felt very pleasant for that time of year, and much warmer than the air temp would suggest. I find I can usually comfortably wear shorts with a hoodie on cooler days, as my arms tend to get colder a lot easier than my legs.

16 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

It's possible that the rain many of us have had recently may be useful because the models have increasingly toned down the rainfall for the rest of June.  Away from the south, it looks pretty dry from Monday onwards (even the fronts around the North Sea low have been toned down) and although the ECMWF operational run has a low passing over the country at day 6-7, it doesn't have a lot of support from the ensembles.  I can foresee the upcoming spell of weather having a lot of "usable" weather, not particularly warm or sunny, but generally dry.

Yes, unusual that. Usually the rain gets upgraded not downgraded. Makes a nice change!

15 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Nearly 3 weeks into Summer 2021, and a very good start indeed here. No heatwave and at times quite cloudy, but alit of fine dry weather so far..

Traditionally here at least the first half of the summer delivers the most settled conditions, second half usually warmest conditions. 

Yes it’s been a very good start to June. Nothing unbearably hot (highest temp about 23°C) but not many sub 20°C and cloudy days either. Barely a drop of rain, never known a June this dry!

4 hours ago, Jon Somerset said:

I think it’s easy to become fed up with a British summer when we’ve become used to travelling abroad and experienced continental weather, which we only get when plumes come over. 
Although it’s grey today it was great last week, and there’s more to come. Somerset rain means my garden is being watered nicely and I will enjoy more sun soon. 

I’ve actually never been abroad before (well I’ve been to Jersey once but I’m not sure that counts lol) so maybe that’s why I’m much more tolerant of the British summer weather than a lot of people on here. If I went abroad to Spain I’d probably turn into a puddle in five minutes lol.

4 hours ago, markyo said:

As strange as it may seem i wear shorts all year round, can't remember last time i was in long trousers.....i do get odd looks though when i'm clearing snow off me car i admit!

I do remember seeing a few men wearing shorts during the cold spell in January, when there was snow on the ground. I admire these people for their hardiness. Not something I could be comfortable doing. Brrrrrr!

4 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Your posts will get moved anyway but a 

-

+

Tripole is alluded to typically a +NAO signal.

Albeit it gets a little more complicated because current anomolies push quite far south for example and if it can form a -AMO then that's not a bad thing for a -AO.

Moral of the story, don't get excited.

Strongest Irish accent I’ve ever heard! Anyway not really sure why he’s getting so excited, as the only real difference between summer and winter in Ireland is the temperature of the rain, as I once read somewhere. Their average winter temp is 6-8°C and average summer temp is only 17-19°C, so not much difference really.

3 hours ago, BruenSryan said:

Yeah, as a poster mentioned, still on only 0.8mm here this June so far (which is drier than June 2018) in Dublin and there wasn't any rain this morning again. The low pressure has been displaced further southward than models have expected. Some rain possible mid-week but not of great amounts to ease the moisture deficits that are on the rise. 

It's fortunate May was wet as a much drier May combined with the dry April and dry June so far (also a relatively dry March) would have been very bad news. 

Funny how the SE of England has been having a deluge whilst it's been some of the nicest days all month here. Temperatures have been cool but the strong June sun makes it pleasant. The first half wasn't very dull but often a fair amount of cloud and quite humid after first few days which I did not really like.

Yes it’s very strange how it’s worked out. It’ll be very interesting seeing the sunshine and rainfall anomaly maps at the end of the month that’s for sure.

2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I can't resist moaning about the fact it is currently 9pm in Yakutsk way up in NE Russia and showing as 28c and sunny. Meanwhile in the middle of the day , at the height of summer, here in Dudley it is currently grey, windy and a tropical 12c.  With drizzle due at 2pm. 

They’ll be back into freezer temp before you know it... While Dudley will still be at a “tropical” 12° in the winter!

2 hours ago, Atmogenic said:

amazing we've skipped past July and august and half of september and we've arrived in october. What a great 2 weeks of summer we had, looks like the rest of the northern hemisphere are having record breaking heat for October. 

Don’t write it off just yet. It doesn’t start getting properly cold until late October at the earliest. There is still a long way to go.

58 minutes ago, al78 said:

Been out for a walk this morning, and outside it feels like those episodes of tropical maritime muck we periodically get in autumn/early winter. Days of dull clag, spitty spotty rain, and double figure temperatures. Only difference is the temperature is a few degrees warmer than it would be in winter. This is normally the summer weather I get in the Scottish highlands. This year I holiday there and get average SE summer temperatures, come home and get typical Fort William weather.

Yep, it’s like the north and the south of changed places at the moment!

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
55 minutes ago, al78 said:

Yes, it is shame though that the sunny weather was accompanied by overnight temperatures colder than many winter months, and daytime temperatures were mediocre to poor apart from one or two days. A waste of an anticyclone in the warmer months of the year if we are going to have polar air dumped on us for a whole month. It is like having southerly winds from Spain/Med/N Africa in January.

I assume you’re talking about April? As June has been very warm so far. I’ll take sunny weather whenever we have it, as long as it’s not baking hot. I disagree about southerly winds being a waste in the winter, as we had a very pleasant spell of weather in February 2019, temps in the mid to high teens and sunshine, it felt very pleasant alough very unusual and out of place.

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

So how does that excuse 4 days straight with cloud? Even in a crap June that’s woeful. Days are at their longest and we have this…

Posted

Currently 15°C and cloudy here, but with light winds it doesn’t feel bad at all really, nice and fresh actually.

Still a comfortable 21/22°C indoors though, due to good insulation, cats, electronics and body heat.

You lot moaning about 15°C being cold need to toughen up a bit...

That said I have felt a bit off colour this weekend, so maybe my internal temperature sensor has been affected.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

So how does that excuse 4 days straight with cloud? Even in a crap June that’s woeful. Days are at their longest and we have this…

Because it’s London not the Mediterranean?

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Because it’s London not the Mediterranean?

Still it’s very anomalous we’re not Iceland. 100% cloud for 4 days in a row at this time of year I’ve never seen it. Not looking to change till Wednesday.

Edited by Daniel*

Posted
3 minutes ago, Daniel* said:

It’s happened before.

June 1980 started off hot and sunny, until some thunderstorms the end of the first week, thereafter it was cool and cloudy.

June 1982 started off hot, but once the storms hit before mid month, the remainder was dull and humid. 

2002 had a similar June, as it was dull throughout. 

Posted
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Currently 15°C and cloudy here, but with light winds it doesn’t feel bad at all really, nice and fresh actually.

Still a comfortable 21/22°C indoors though, due to good insulation, cats, electronics and body heat.

You lot moaning about 15°C being cold need to toughen up a bit...

That said I have felt a bit off colour this weekend, so maybe my internal temperature sensor has been affected.

15c would be rotten in London. It was barely 16c yesterday and it felt cold compared to what we’ve become used to.

I really don’t need a return to what we had to endure during May. 

Posted
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It’s happened before.

June 1980 started off hot and sunny, until some thunderstorms the end of the first week, thereafter it was cool and cloudy.

June 1982 started off hot, but once the storms hit before mid month, the remainder was dull and humid. 

2002 had a similar June, as it was dull throughout. 

I’m not complaining the month as a whole, overall it has been good certainly not very good. If the weather continued like this to end it will go down in my estimations.

Posted
22 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I assume you’re talking about April? As June has been very warm so far. I’ll take sunny weather whenever we have it, as long as it’s not baking hot. I disagree about southerly winds being a waste in the winter, as we had a very pleasant spell of weather in February 2019, temps in the mid to high teens and sunshine, it felt very pleasant alough very unusual and out of place.

Yes I was talking about April, I thought "first half" was referring to the year as a whole, not just this month. I agree that June started off very well here in the SE. Over the year, we've had a couple of weeks of warm sunny weather in June but apart from one day at the end of March, the year has been pretty poor for good weather so far. Usable in April yes, but the cold was a let down.

Edited by al78

Posted

Absolutely perfect day here in Wakefield. A few days ago Sunday was forecast to rain all day. As it happens it’s partially sunny, dry, warm not hot, ideal temperature. I’ve got jobs done in the garden and it’s much better than when it’s hot and humid. For me, we can have these conditions for the rest of the summer. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
2 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Absolutely perfect day here in Wakefield. A few days ago Sunday was forecast to rain all day. As it happens it’s partially sunny, dry, warm not hot, ideal temperature. I’ve got jobs done in the garden and it’s much better than when it’s hot and humid. For me, we can have these conditions for the rest of the summer. 

The rain passed last night, it just came earlier.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Looks like being grey here today and tomorrow, but it's looking good for it brightening up on my birthday (Tuesday 22nd) in this area of the UK, as the ridge of high pressure moves in and the cloud sheet moves away eastwards.  The brighter weather might not make it into East Anglia and the south-east until Wednesday.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
34 minutes ago, Paul_1978 said:

Totally agree, i suspect many would also be more than happy with these conditions for the rest of Summer. Its been warm, dry, sunshine and then partial cloud. Temps more than adequate, folk are out tonight bbq's on, bit of music, what's not to like?

• Like 2