Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
8 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don’t want to annoy anyone from the south (As I know you’ve had a soaking) but we really do need the rain up here in Northwest England. We haven’t had any proper rain for about three weeks now and our grand total for the month (according to local weather station) is a whopping 1.2 mm!  About 50 times less than the SE!

The rain/shower symbols that the BBC weather app was showing for next week have disappeared and even tomorrow which was forecast to be a washout is now only forecast to have a couple of hours of light rain in the morning and then dry for the rest of the day. Temperatures are going to be cool though like in the south, only 15 to 17°C for the next few days here, with a cool NE breeze. I don’t mind though, as it’s been warm and sunny a lot recently.

But as with April after March, although the surface dried up a lot, not far down into the soil there was plenty of moisture. Don’t forget the May we’ve just had too...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
20 minutes ago, MP-R said:

But as with April after March, although the surface dried up a lot, not far down into the soil there was plenty of moisture. Don’t forget the May we’ve just had too...

True. River levels not dangerously low yet.

Posted

Is there any chance the Model output discussion thread can be what it is supposed to be, and not be filled up with off topic nonsense?

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It must suck needing the heating on all the time and only being able to wear a T-shirt outside for three days a year though. The maxes in Lerwick at the moment are only 12/13°C and the strong winds that they get up there most of the time make it feel even colder. 

I agree about it being beautiful and tranquil though.

EDIT: I would love if some of our moany southerners were forced to spend a summer up in Lerwick.. Perhaps they would learn to appreciate their summers a bit better... 

Makes a change! Usually the opposite way around. I just hope we don’t have a repeat of July and August 2008...

I live in a red brick house too and it’s definitely a lot warmer when it’s sunny, even if temperatures aren’t that high. On the other hand if we get lots of cloudy damp weather then the indoor temperatures really struggle often below 20°C if it’s cloudy and damp even in the summer.

Sounds like the south is doing worse than the north at the moment! Bright and sunny all day here with a high of about 20°. ? Felt very warm in the sunshine and I was just in a T-shirt and shorts.  My forecast maxes for next three days are 16, 16 and 17 according to the iPhone weather app.

You can keep your plumes down south, low 20s and sunny is plenty warm enough for me!

I wonder why the weather in the south is so bad at the moment. Today it’s been mostly sunny here with highs of around 20°.

Come up north! Been 20° and mostly sunny here and had to go out this afternoon to nip to the post office. Was only in shorts and a T-shirt but it felt very warm! If anything I wish it had been a bit cooler!

In all honesty though 15° is not that cold... Toughen up lass!  Put a coat on!

15c is chilly. Anyone wearing shorts /t shirts in that degree of coolness probably needs a medical check to ascertain bodily functions are working properly. 

Posted
9 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

15c is chilly. Anyone wearing shorts /t shirts in that degree of coolness probably needs a medical check to ascertain bodily functions are working properly. 

Not sure if you are joking or being serious, but I (and lots of others) have worn shorts and a t-shirt at that temperature in the spring when it was sunny and it felt great. ☀️

Posted
9 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Not sure if you are joking or being serious, but I (and lots of others) have worn shorts and a t-shirt at that temperature in the spring when it was sunny and it felt great. ☀️

Yes I was only joking. Temps are subjective to everyone. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Aye, someone I know, worn shorts and sandals every day since April 12th, likely before that date, but of course didn't see him before that date

• Like 1

Posted
17 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

Aye, someone I know, worn shorts and sandals every day since April 12th, likely before that date, but of course didn't see him before that date

He must be hard as nails then, considering the weather we had in May. I wish I was like that.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
51 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

True. River levels not dangerously low yet.

Long way to go before we get there thankfully.

The grass was just beginning to brown a little bit here but now that the rain is finally drumming on the roof after it’s three week absence, I think it will green up again in the coming days.

• Like 1

Posted
43 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’ve never worn t shirts, let alone shorts with temps below 16c. 17-18c maybe,  but 15c always feels too chilly. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
12 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

He must be hard as nails then, considering the weather we had in May. I wish I was like that.

Aye, not into star wars, call him Obi Wan Kenobi, around 6 foot tall and 18 stone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

It's possible that the rain many of us have had recently may be useful because the models have increasingly toned down the rainfall for the rest of June.  Away from the south, it looks pretty dry from Monday onwards (even the fronts around the North Sea low have been toned down) and although the ECMWF operational run has a low passing over the country at day 6-7, it doesn't have a lot of support from the ensembles.  I can foresee the upcoming spell of weather having a lot of "usable" weather, not particularly warm or sunny, but generally dry.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I’ve never worn t shirts, let alone shorts with temps below 16c. 17-18c maybe,  but 15c always feels too chilly. 

At a skinny rake and 7 1/2 stone it has to be at least 23/24c for me LOL

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
5 hours ago, al78 said:

Given June 2012 was the wettest June on record with significant destructive flooding, even a moderately poor June would be miles better than that, so that is a bit of a meaningless comparison. Getting slapped in the face is miles better than getting stabbed and killed, but that doesn't make getting slapped in the face any better. I'm not a fan of the fallacy of relative privation.

Doesn't hurt to be optimistic, even though the comparison may seem meaningless. Though, perhaps a good slap in the face will knock a bit of sense into me. 

• Like 1

Posted

Nearly 3 weeks into Summer 2021, and a very good start indeed here. No heatwave and at times quite cloudy, but alit of fine dry weather so far..

Traditionally here at least the first half of the summer delivers the most settled conditions, second half usually warmest conditions. 

• Like 1

Posted

I think it’s easy to become fed up with a British summer when we’ve become used to travelling abroad and experienced continental weather, which we only get when plumes come over. 
Although it’s grey today it was great last week, and there’s more to come. Somerset rain means my garden is being watered nicely and I will enjoy more sun soon. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
12 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

As strange as it may seem i wear shorts all year round, can't remember last time i was in long trousers.....i do get odd looks though when i'm clearing snow off me car i admit!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
1 hour ago, Dan Clow said:

What's everyone's thoughts about the sea temps nosediving to the North and West of UK? Is this unusual? Surely that could lead to a very severe winter coming up?

49 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

My non expert opinion will tell me no about winter if not the exact opposite. 2015 / 2016 had a cold Atlantic which kept whipping up low pressures further south resulting in frequent southerly winds. Conversely 2010 had average to warm Atlantic anomalies.

In summer 2015 it seemed a cold Atlantic gaves us cool conditions here from chilly Westerly winds. It's obviously worth mentioning the strong El Nino though at the time.

Based on that and as someone who wants seasons to be seasonal, cold Atlantic anomalies isn't the best of news; cools it down in summer, warms it up in winter like 2011 and 2015.

Your posts will get moved anyway but a 

-

+

Tripole is alluded to typically a +NAO signal.

Albeit it gets a little more complicated because current anomolies push quite far south for example and if it can form a -AMO then that's not a bad thing for a -AO.

Moral of the story, don't get excited.

• Like 1

Last saw the sun just after lunch on Thursday. Temps not been above 15C since then. Any reasonable weather well and truly forgotten. Awful spell! 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
28 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Last saw the sun just after lunch on Thursday. Temps not been above 15C since then. Any reasonable weather well and truly forgotten. Awful spell! 

Same here.. and don't look to be seeing it until Wednesday!  Looks OK after that though, not wall to wall sun, but more average conditions for the rest of the week

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snowy winters and warm, sunny summers
15 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I don’t want to annoy anyone from the south (As I know you’ve had a soaking) but we really do need the rain up here in Northwest England. We haven’t had any proper rain for about three weeks now and our grand total for the month (according to local weather station) is a whopping 1.2 mm!  About 50 times less than the SE!

The rain/shower symbols that the BBC weather app was showing for next week have disappeared and even tomorrow which was forecast to be a washout is now only forecast to have a couple of hours of light rain in the morning and then dry for the rest of the day. Temperatures are going to be cool though like in the south, only 15 to 17°C for the next few days here, with a cool NE breeze. I don’t mind though, as it’s been warm and sunny a lot recently.

Yeah, as a poster mentioned, still on only 0.8mm here this June so far (which is drier than June 2018) in Dublin and there wasn't any rain this morning again. The low pressure has been displaced further southward than models have expected. Some rain possible mid-week but not of great amounts to ease the moisture deficits that are on the rise. 

It's fortunate May was wet as a much drier May combined with the dry April and dry June so far (also a relatively dry March) would have been very bad news. 

Funny how the SE of England has been having a deluge whilst it's been some of the nicest days all month here. Temperatures have been cool but the strong June sun makes it pleasant. The first half wasn't very dull but often a fair amount of cloud and quite humid after first few days which I did not really like.

Edited by BruenSryan
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Another hot and steamy day here in Prague, with 32°C currently. Quite hazy though and looking increasingly thundery for the next 5 days or so, with a brief cooler spell. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

It's been awful here, just about as worse as it gets for summer in this region. Cool, near constant rain/drizzle and almost zero sunlight for days. 

No doubt it'll probably be 37°C in a few weeks, as is often the case with our erratic weather of recent years. 

• Like 4

Posted

I can't resist moaning about the fact it is currently 9pm in Yakutsk way up in NE Russia and showing as 28c and sunny. Meanwhile in the middle of the day , at the height of summer, here in Dudley it is currently grey, windy and a tropical 12c.  With drizzle due at 2pm. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Love heat & thunderstorms, but hate the cold

amazing we've skipped past July and august and half of september and we've arrived in october. What a great 2 weeks of summer we had, looks like the rest of the northern hemisphere are having record breaking heat for October.