Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
4 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s dreadful, meant to be going for a garden party. Sat at home now plying fortnite (because I’m a big kid really) with the heating on! 

With the current projected maxes for the next couple of days we’ll have wiped out the +2C above average daily max we’d built up for the month. 

Seems it's ok to moan if it is too hot but if you moan it is not hot enough you are told to move abroad. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
11 minutes ago, Alderc said:

It’s dreadful, meant to be going for a garden party. Sat at home now plying fortnite (because I’m a big kid really) with the heating on! 

With the current projected maxes for the next couple of days we’ll have wiped out the +2C above average daily max we’d built up for the month. 

Next 3 days forecast here are 16/16/14c, and that after 15c today and 13c yesterday. Only 5-8c below where it should be for mid to late June. No sun either. Could easily pass for an early October day. 

• Like 1

Completely agree with the above…..sub 15/16C days in summer are rare, could have 5 on the bounce. 

But remember from the model chat thread this scenario was so bad it couldn’t happen. Can’t wait the next trough next weekend. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
26 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Seems it's ok to moan if it is too hot but if you moan it is not hot enough you are told to move abroad. 

Suspect that could be the sleep or lack of effect again,..folk get very touchy when they can't sleep due to heat, its human nature.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, markyo said:

Suspect that could be the sleep or lack of effect again,..folk get very touchy when they can't sleep due to heat, its human nature.

Only the south east as has had anything remotely resembling warm nights. I still don’t understand how peoples houses get so hot after a couple of days in the low to mid 20s and night of 13-16C

Posted
21 minutes ago, markyo said:

Look. Most of the stuff I put on here is tongue in cheek banter. I'm not out to upset anyone. Yes I would love it if we had a summer full of 30c hot days because I love hot weather. I am also realistic enough to know we will be lucky if we get 5 days at 30c in Dudley each year. Doesn't stop me being annoyed when endless low pressure shows up here when the rest of Europe , Arctic Circle and Siberia are basking in lovely hot sunshine.   

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
3 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It's looking rather changeable for the latter half of June. I certainly don't think it's as bad as others on here are making it out to be - still looking miles better than June 2012. With the exception of Monday, temps are looking fairly close to average and rainfall doesn't look too bad. This is the UK, so you can't expect it to be hot all the time. After all, there's still plenty of time yet as we are only in June. 

Aye, it's looking fairly ordinary from Wednesday onwards for much of the country, perhaps Tuesday away from the south-east (it looks like the brighter weather associated with a ridge of high pressure might just make it to my area of the country for my birthday on Tuesday, though it's on a knife edge). 

I posted about disappointment with the outlook last Thursday and I think my post was justified then, as this is the third day in a row of grey overcast weather here and there's at least another two days of it to come.  The longer-term outlook, lying on the north-eastern flank of the Azores High, doesn't particularly excite me, it has to be said, but it's different to what many of us have now: temperatures should be about average, sunshine and rainfall should be variable.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
52 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Only the south east as has had anything remotely resembling warm nights. I still don’t understand how peoples houses get so hot after a couple of days in the low to mid 20s and night of 13-16C

It's not just temperature, the strong sun and short nights make all the difference so houses don't have a lot of time to cool down especially if your bedroom is south or west facing and most homes in this country aren't painted white to reflect away the sun so the red brick work heats up fast. I can feel it today when I touch it and it's not even reached 20C here today but we've had a good dose of sun again. And don't forget in the sun the temperature is a lot higher than in the shade and this is reflected on areas of the home where the sun reaches it.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

Looking more and more likely of a pretty large difference in rainfall totals between the NW and SE of England by the end of this month.  May 2008 is a stark example of this,  SE: 100.6mm; NW: 32.3mm

It has been a really dry June thus far up here.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
6 minutes ago, Weather-history said:

Looking more and more likely of a pretty large difference in rainfall totals between the NW and SE of England by the end of this month.  May 2008 is a stark example of this,  SE: 100.6mm; NW: 32.3mm

Aye, little later than normal, normally this is April and May, by July and Aug, NW often much wetter than SE

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Look. Most of the stuff I put on here is tongue in cheek banter. I'm not out to upset anyone. Yes I would love it if we had a summer full of 30c hot days because I love hot weather. I am also realistic enough to know we will be lucky if we get 5 days at 30c in Dudley each year. Doesn't stop me being annoyed when endless low pressure shows up here when the rest of Europe , Arctic Circle and Siberia are basking in lovely hot sunshine.   

I get your point totally, we are all on here especially this thread for fun and banter. Every one is entitled to moan about what they want to. No need at all to upset folk what ever there preference. 

• Like 4

Posted
4 minutes ago, markyo said:

I get your point totally, we are all on here especially this thread for fun and banter. Every one is entitled to moan about what they want to. No need at all to upset folk what ever there preference. 

Agreed. 

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
5 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

It's looking rather changeable for the latter half of June. I certainly don't think it's as bad as others on here are making it out to be - still looking miles better than June 2012.

Given June 2012 was the wettest June on record with significant destructive flooding, even a moderately poor June would be miles better than that, so that is a bit of a meaningless comparison. Getting slapped in the face is miles better than getting stabbed and killed, but that doesn't make getting slapped in the face any better. I'm not a fan of the fallacy of relative privation.

Posted
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

TBH I thought your post was entirely accurate. You don't here all those crowing for snow in winter saying 'oh well its 8C today, that average guess we can't have snow every day and we'll just enjoy our 8C' they moan continually from mid November to mid April wanting snow. 

Probably because they drool over some individual model forecast of Greenland/Scandinavian blocking 15+ days out then whinge when it doesn't happen, as if the model had any significant skill at that lead.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Agreed. 

you'll certainly be over moon in August if Ruben Neves scores a screamer! especially if in 30 degree heat

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Bit over dramatic. Maybe if you live up in Lerwick that’s true but come on UK summers are not that bad especially down in the south. As long as the Sun is out and the temperature is 20 or above then it’s a good summers day for most people.

Great post, I’ve lived near Lerwick in the past, and believe me, the scenery is great but the weather..temperatures are crap compared.......to mainland u k!..for most of the time.. ..however, I don’t think the good folk of Lerwick..or indeed Shetland  give a damn about warmth..they live on a beautiful island..unless you’ve lived there, you won’t even begin to appreciate what I’m talking about..your loss!!!  

Edited by Jon Snow
  • Like 1

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

you'll certainly be over moon in August if Ruben Neves scores a screamer! especially if in 30 degree heat

Now you are talking.  Mind you last season he was a bit off the mark. Hopefully our new manager Bruno Lage (I am very impressed he has a name synonymous with the amber nectar)  will re invigorate our midfield genius to produce a 'Neves Screamer' or two. Unless he goes to Man Utd or Everton as is the talk in the press. Anyway. Here is to some 30 degree heat. Even if we squeeze out about 4 days like last year.

Posted
2 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

People will moan when it is too hot for their comfort. The temperature this happens is going to be different for different people. In my bridge club, I've been sweating in 25C whilst a woman next to me complains it is chilly and protests about even having a window open, never mind the air-con. Moaning about it not being hot enough is understandable when "not hot enough" includes three minutes of sunshine in a week in summer, and enough rain for flood warnings to be issued, i.e. well away from the average. I'm not a fan of the temperatures I experienced in the second week of June because it was getting too uncomfortably hot to work on my allotment, even in the evenings. When I was backpacking in Scotland at the end of May/ beginning of June, I had to abandon half of my original route because I couldn't get up a mountain and along a ridge, it was blazing sunshine, uncomfortably hot, I was running low on water, and I could feel my energy levels plummeting, so decided to turn back. Doing a section of the Cape Wrath trail a few days later was easy by comparison, because it was cloudy and at least five degrees cooler. Take the recent June weather and knock 3-4 degrees off the maxes and that would be optimal for me. On the other hand, I was not a fan of the frostiest April for a century or the utter crapfest in most of May, because it disrupted my allotment gardening. Thus for me, if weather causes discomfort or damage in some way, I will look on it unfavourably, regardless of how meteorologically interesting it is.

• Like 2

Posted

I think some up north need to remember that the South coast has done horrifically for cloud the past 2 months or so. Yes there has a been a slight improvement in June but tbh nothing major. We have had the likes of 2 days sun back to cloud, 3 days sun back to cloud, etc etc. Each time it's not just been an odd cloudy day or 2 but for daaaays on end before it breaks for yet another 2/3 days then back to cloud. I am less bothered about it being 30+ more than just seeing the sun to brighten the mood. The constant cloud is seriously depressing!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
58 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

Great post, I’ve lived near Lerwick in the past, and believe me, the scenery is great but the weather..temperatures are crap compared.......to mainland u k!..for most of the time.. ..however, I don’t think the good folk of Lerwick..or indeed Shetland  give a damn about warmth..they live on a beautiful island..unless you’ve lived there, you won’t even begin to appreciate what I’m talking about..your loss!!!  

It must suck needing the heating on all the time and only being able to wear a T-shirt outside for three days a year though. The maxes in Lerwick at the moment are only 12/13°C and the strong winds that they get up there most of the time make it feel even colder. 

I agree about it being beautiful and tranquil though.

EDIT: I would love if some of our moany southerners were forced to spend a summer up in Lerwick.. Perhaps they would learn to appreciate their summers a bit better... 

1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

Makes a change! Usually the opposite way around. I just hope we don’t have a repeat of July and August 2008...

2 hours ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It's not just temperature, the strong sun and short nights make all the difference so houses don't have a lot of time to cool down especially if your bedroom is south or west facing and most homes in this country aren't painted white to reflect away the sun so the red brick work heats up fast. I can feel it today when I touch it and it's not even reached 20C here today but we've had a good dose of sun again. And don't forget in the sun the temperature is a lot higher than in the shade and this is reflected on areas of the home where the sun reaches it.

I live in a red brick house too and it’s definitely a lot warmer when it’s sunny, even if temperatures aren’t that high. On the other hand if we get lots of cloudy damp weather then the indoor temperatures really struggle often below 20°C if it’s cloudy and damp even in the summer.

3 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Next 3 days forecast here are 16/16/14c, and that after 15c today and 13c yesterday. Only 5-8c below where it should be for mid to late June. No sun either. Could easily pass for an early October day. 

Sounds like the south is doing worse than the north at the moment! Bright and sunny all day here with a high of about 20°. ? Felt very warm in the sunshine and I was just in a T-shirt and shorts.  My forecast maxes for next three days are 16, 16 and 17 according to the iPhone weather app.

4 hours ago, SummerShower said:

Yes, looking at things we are due a few very poor days temp/sun wise, especially monday/Tuesday but then pretty standard summer weather really after that.  

I find very hot weather tends to happen between mid July and mid August.  I do hope for another plume like last August though, and for it to spread further north this time so all of the UK can enjoy it.

You can keep your plumes down south, low 20s and sunny is plenty warm enough for me!

3 hours ago, Alderc said:

The forecast was never this bad for today, second straight day with not a minutes sun and max temp of 15C.

I wonder why the weather in the south is so bad at the moment. Today it’s been mostly sunny here with highs of around 20°.

3 hours ago, *Stormforce~beka* said:

Just froze my weeble off outside at a kids party for 2 hours. 15c and thick cloud.

Come up north! Been 20° and mostly sunny here and had to go out this afternoon to nip to the post office. Was only in shorts and a T-shirt but it felt very warm! If anything I wish it had been a bit cooler!

In all honesty though 15° is not that cold... Toughen up lass!  Put a coat on!

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 2

Posted

I don’t want to annoy anyone from the south (As I know you’ve had a soaking) but we really do need the rain up here in Northwest England. We haven’t had any proper rain for about three weeks now and our grand total for the month (according to local weather station) is a whopping 1.2 mm!  About 50 times less than the SE!

The rain/shower symbols that the BBC weather app was showing for next week have disappeared and even tomorrow which was forecast to be a washout is now only forecast to have a couple of hours of light rain in the morning and then dry for the rest of the day. Temperatures are going to be cool though like in the south, only 15 to 17°C for the next few days here, with a cool NE breeze. I don’t mind though, as it’s been warm and sunny a lot recently.

Posted
1 hour ago, Jon Snow said:

I wonder if there’s anyone on the forum who lives in Lerwick, Orkney or Shetland? I wonder what their posts would be like?