Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Just be grateful your birthday is in June. Some people have their birthday in the winter! The weather on my birthday (15th June) is usually pretty good, even in June 2012 I remember it was okay, though on 15th June 2019 is was chilly and unsettled.

My birthday is in mid January. Somewhat surprisingly over my lifetime it has been very rare for me to experience falling or lying snow on my birthday (17th), although I have only lived in fairly snowless places such as Salford, Reading, Leeds and Horsham. It is as if there is one of those weather singularities where any cold spell in January tends to happen at the beginning or end of the month, and mid January seems to be the point any cold spell in place breaks down. This was notable in January 2010, and I think it happened in January 1987 as well.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Just be grateful your birthday is in June. Some people have their birthday in the winter! The weather on my birthday (15th June) is usually pretty good, even in June 2012 I remember it was okay, though on 15th June 2019 is was chilly and unsettled.

I had thunderstorms on your birthday in 2009 (they were very widespread that day) and in 2016.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
4 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I had thunderstorms on your birthday in 2009 (they were very widespread that day) and in 2016.

Also last year they were very widespread (except here of course where it was a beautiful day). We got them during the following days.

2007 also had thunderstorms on the 15th June.

It's funny how certain date periods see recurring instances of thunderstorms. In this neck of the woods 09-12th May, 25th-29th May and 24th-28th June have often brought thunder over the years. Just after my birthday (23rd July) too.

• Like 1

Different world down in Cornwall, Plymouth 22C and the suns been out most of the day. 14C here most of the day rarely do you see a colder summers day in Bournemouth, utterly dreadful. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow
2 hours ago, Alderc said:

Different world down in Cornwall, Plymouth 22C and the suns been out most of the day. 14C here most of the day rarely do you see a colder summers day in Bournemouth, utterly dreadful. 

Agree - totally dreadful day.  Pouring rain, gloomy skies, and cold!  I have just put the heating on yet again - in June!!  Longest day on Monday and then it all goes downhill - what a terrible year!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
4 hours ago, MP-R said:

Also last year they were very widespread (except here of course where it was a beautiful day). We got them during the following days.

2007 also had thunderstorms on the 15th June.

It's funny how certain date periods see recurring instances of thunderstorms. In this neck of the woods 09-12th May, 25th-29th May and 24th-28th June have often brought thunder over the years. Just after my birthday (23rd July) too.

I have noticed this as well.  My birthday, July 19th also seems to coincide with thunderstorms.. notably 2014 and 2017 (uk wide) and locally 2007 and 1993, and other areas (but not here) 2003 and 2006.

And I know its not summer, but the end of may/beginning of june seems to often be thundery..

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny, warm, snow

'Tis strange - my birthday (14th July) was always a day for miserable weather and I can only remember a handful of birthdays when the weather was really good.  Only 2003 and 2006 really spring to mind.  When I was a kid, the weather was hardly ever nice enough to be outside for my party.

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

I have noticed this as well.  My birthday, July 19th also seems to coincide with thunderstorms.. notably 2014 and 2017 (uk wide) and locally 2007 and 1993, and other areas (but not here) 2003 and 2006.

And I know its not summer, but the end of may/beginning of june seems to often be thundery..

Yes, and 2016 could’ve been given the degree of heat on the 18th-20th but ended up a disappointment.

Posted
24 minutes ago, sarahng said:

'Tis strange - my birthday (14th July) was always a day for miserable weather and I can only remember a handful of birthdays when the weather was really good.  Only 2003 and 2006 really spring to mind.  When I was a kid, the weather was hardly ever nice enough to be outside for my party.

You can add to that 2002 and 2005 for decent conditions. Incredible really given how naff July 2002 had been up to that point...

It does look like after 2006, it wasn’t until 2013 that mid July became summery again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Just got home on a friday night, shattered after a long day....home to a bedroom at 13.5c...one very happy chappie!!! Good nights kip here i come! 

• Like 7

Posted

How do people’s homes lose warmth so quickly!? Heating on after it’s been about 25c most days recently until yesterday (which itself was early 20s) !?!?!?

Yes a very cool, dull and wet midsummer day but indoors here (detached house) it’s still above 21c.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
41 minutes ago, markyo said:

Just got home on a friday night, shattered after a long day....home to a bedroom at 13.5c...one very happy chappie!!! Good nights kip here i come! 

Like winter that bedroom temp mate haha. 21C in mine which is still a few degrees too warm for my liking, I say it every year but I'm going to have to buy an air con unit.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Andy Bown said:

How do people’s homes lose warmth so quickly!? Heating on after it’s been about 25c most days recently until yesterday (which itself was early 20s) !?!?!?

Yes a very cool, dull and wet midsummer day but indoors here (detached house) it’s still above 21c.

Building standards are crap in the UK.

My house is currently around 21C, down from a peak of 25C earlier in the week.

Edited by al78

Posted
2 hours ago, sarahng said:

Agree - totally dreadful day.  Pouring rain, gloomy skies, and cold!  I have just put the heating on yet again - in June!!  Longest day on Monday and then it all goes downhill - what a terrible year!

Hardly. Our warmest time of year climatologically is July and August. We have over two months of the meteorological summer left, plenty of time for the weather to improve. May was a crapfest until it rapidly warmed up in the last week. September can often bring summer-like conditions as well, so no need to write off the whole summer yet. You don't write off the whole winter if it has been mild and wet up to Christmas.

Here is a reminder from August last year:

_113854328_pa-54903845.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Beachgoers are urged to avoid busy areas, as temperatures in parts of the UK reached 36.4C (97.52F).

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Wow that's chilly to sleep in, but a better chance of sleeping then if it was say mid to high 20s I guess..

I was camping a couple of weeks ago and the local temperature got down to 4c.  In a tent, that's pretty chilly

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
2 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

Not everybody has well insulated homes, and there are still the odd few who don't have double glazing. I live in an old house which was built between the two wars, so needless to say isn't the best at keeping the heat in for that long. I am not complaining though, as I have been comfortable enough and I don't feel the cold as easily as some others do. 
It's been around 18c indoors, so not too bad at all.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
2 hours ago, Andy Bown said:

25c in our bedroom and 23c downstairs.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
4 hours ago, sarahng said:

I would say that it starts going downhill from the middle of August, when it becomes more noticeable that the nights are drawing in and the sun doesn't feel quite as strong. On the other hand, August can be the best summer month of the year - and even September has been known to deliver the hottest day of the year. So don't give up! Still plenty of time for some plumes and hopefully thunderstorms. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow, storms and other extremes

Still bone dry here and Sunday’s rainfall looks to be fragmenting and pushing further east with every model run. 

Very dusty and dry here so would be nice to have a bit of rain to freshen everything up again.

• Like 2

Payback weather getting into full swing for a decent start to June, parts of the south May see daytime max temps in the low teens Monday and Tuesday. Utterly disgusting. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts

Missed out on the rain here,a lovely day yesterday albeit cloudy just a few spits late in the day,hardly enough to wet the tarmac.Sunny start today,still summer here!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Thunder, snow, heat, sunshine...

Here's an interesting article, regarding UV levels:

_118939793_portrush.jpg
WWW.BBC.CO.UK

Sunburn is still a danger - even on a cloudy staycation in Northern Ireland.

• Like 2

Posted

Lucky to have a 1920s council house here which retains warmth nicely. 
caught on the edge of the weather system here so grey and cloudy and some VERY minimal precipitation every now and again. No sun for last three days, but no thunder either. Realised I’m missing Med weather as I’m normally in Languedoc this time of the year.

It really is a miserable morning, absolutely no residual warmth left in the air, just 13C, heavily overcast very gloomy. The coats back out heading to the gym