Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, markyo said:

It does have its plus side though in Winter..going from a 32/33cplus 100% humidity room which some of our busy clients are even in Winter months, through the 2 barrier doors and then outside to minus 5 or 6 with snow doesn't half feel good!! Trust me you never feel as alive!!

Yeah I guess people who work in those massive walking freezers get the same experience in summer when they're working in -20 and then they go outside and it's +25°. For someone who hates heat though you're in the worst job I can think of (even in winter it's boiling)!

I would've thought that it's worse in winter because you're used to the cold so going into a +30° building must be a shock. Whereas in summer when the ambient temperature is higher and your body is more used to heat I thought it might not seem so bad in comparison. I know in the winter when I go into a shop sometimes I feel very warm because my body has got used to the cold outside and I've been walking so my body is warmed up.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, dubmuffin said:

I've had to get my slippers out again tonight, might be a bit humid but cool and damp isn't much fun

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

19C with a 17C dew point here, doesn’t feel particularly warm or humid and its dark, lights on inside.....

17°C and partly cloudy here, 57% humidity, bright enough, still comfortable in shorts and t-shirt.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

17°C and partly cloudy here, 57% humidity, bright enough, still comfortable in shorts and t-shirt.

E/W split here, dreading the heavy rain moving over me tomorrow from the east! while tonight and tomorrow night is dry

Posted

Don't need the lights on till about 10 pm at the moment up here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
51 minutes ago, al78 said:

Depends on what you are planning to do. For gardening involving significant exhertion, I'd prefer sub 20C to 30C. If you want to lie on a beach and dry roast, it is probably the other way around.

Somewhere in between. I haven't taken a week off to do gardening, but quite often do that in the rain! I just like not having to pack for every eventuality, I want to go walking and cycling without having to worry about inclement weather, and paddleboard too, so was hoping to get out on the sea, and if I can add a bit of swimming and eating breakfast and dinner outside it will be perfect. Don't need a heatwave, just what I would consider pleasant summer weather i.e. 23c to 25c with a light breeze, please. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
52 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

So dark down here tonight. Feet are maybe a bit too toasty now though

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I admit that, for the first time since moving to Lincoln, I'm feeling a bit down about the weather outlook for the coming week.  (For me, the dull wet May was redeemed to some extent by frequent convective activity, so I could at least focus on the positives).  It looks cloudy with rain at times and the thunder potential has largely gone.  My birthday (22nd) looks like being overcast, cool by day and drizzly, with north to north-easterly winds and fronts around a low pressure system out in the North Sea.

Hoping for some kind of pattern change during the last third of June.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Where are the thunderstorms we were supposed to be having? 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
4 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

This should answer your question:

1043340458_Screenshot2021-06-17220824.thumb.png.ce7d2374299470d3122745553c8e3a01.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms
59 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Best to ignore the "warnings" and just look out the window and keep an eye on the radar.

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

This should answer your question:

1043340458_Screenshot2021-06-17220824.thumb.png.ce7d2374299470d3122745553c8e3a01.png

Someone put a tick in the wrong box ...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter
1 hour ago, DIS1970 said:

Best to ignore the "warnings" and just look out the window and keep an eye on the radar.

Yes, talk about a huge exaggeration from those warnings, which I guess we should all be used to by now. Must admit, I am disappointed all the same though. Was hoping for a good thunderstorm but never mind. I guess it's only June, so plenty of time yet I suppose. ⛈️

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

never due any in W Midlands, just boring heavy rain! SE event the storms

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Looks like the sun's elevation is moving faster then the approaching rain (if it reaches here), as it has just it has just shone it's face.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Truly awful day here. Heavy rain all morning and 13c. Yuckkkkkkkk

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
9 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Yes, talk about a huge exaggeration from those warnings, which I guess we should all be used to by now. Must admit, I am disappointed all the same though. Was hoping for a good thunderstorm but never mind. I guess it's only June, so plenty of time yet I suppose. ⛈️

Individual thunderstorms are very localised events. When a warning is given for a region, it means the model has predicted conditions are favourable for thunderstorms over several of its gridsquares, and thus somewhere within that region there is a risk of disruption from torrential downpours from thunderstorms. Weather prediction models cannot resolve individual thunderstorms. It does not mean that everyone in that region will experience a thunderstorm.  Most people won't, but if the risk of disruption somewhere is deemed high enough, a warning will be given. In this the probability is unlikely but the impact should it happen is moderate, which barely puts it into the lowest warning category.

In the U.S., the stretch of coastline that gets impacted by a landfalling hurricane is much smaller than the stretch of coastline under a hurricane warning, simply because of forecast uncertainty. Like it or not, weather forecasting is probabilistic with uncertainty, and warnings have to take the uncertainty into account when assessing the risk to the public. Same principle in the UK with weather warnings.

Edited by al78
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
18 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

No, we don't need to toughen up. 

We've barely had a few weeks of warm weather, with about a week to 10 days of very warm or hot conditions, within the 24-29c range. 

I will agree the nights have become a little on the hot side, but up until only a month ago, it was still quite chilly and unseasonably cool, even for london and the SE corner of the country.

We still had to put the heating on until May 25th or just before that date, with temps still only reaching mid teens, which was shockingly bad.

So my argument to people who can't handle a bit of warm or hot weather is, to remember not so ling ago we had to endure cold or very cold weather. The chilly damp grey conditions in this country always outlasts any period of hot sunny weather.

17c is cold for any time between late May and early September.

I'd largely agree with you and yes, it is ridiculous in May in SE England to feel the need to put the heating on. However if conditions are uncomfortably hot for me, either to do outdoor work during the day or sleep at night, it is irrelevant how bad the weather has been before then, too hot is too hot. It is not a choice of one extreme or another, a happy medium of warm, but not 30C with energy sapping humidity is ideal. You can still enjoy the summer if it is a sunny 23C outside. Once it gets past 30C it's useless. I haven't had a problem sleeping so far this summer, but in Broadbridge Heath it will be a bit cooler at night than the concrete jungle of London and its commuter towns. Closing south/west facing curtains during the day, opening windows on opposite sides of the house upstairs, one window downstairs, and opening internal doors to allow airflow through the house from about 8pm helps enormously to keep the inside at a comfortable temperature.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

image.thumb.png.57e8f116d4c25d8c8ee00b52522f9e57.png

Summer in the UK summed up in a chart

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, al78 said:

I'd largely agree with you and yes, it is ridiculous in May in SE England to feel the need to put the heating on. However if conditions are uncomfortably hot for me, either to do outdoor work during the day or sleep at night, it is irrelevant how bad the weather has been before then, too hot is too hot. It is not a choice of one extreme or another, a happy medium of warm, but not 30C with energy sapping humidity is ideal. You can still enjoy the summer if it is a sunny 23C outside. Once it gets past 30C it's useless. I haven't had a problem sleeping so far this summer, but in Broadbridge Heath it will be a bit cooler at night than the concrete jungle of London and its commuter towns. Closing south/west facing curtains during the day, opening windows on opposite sides of the house upstairs, one window downstairs, and opening internal doors to allow airflow through the house from about 8pm helps enormously to keep the inside at a comfortable temperature.

Good tips ??

Most people also have a garden in the UK, so if the house is ‘unbearably hot’ then camping and sleeping in the garden might be a nice option. It’s what I’d be doing, anyway. Much cooler  and quite fun, too.

Proper summer here, 30°C already with mainly clear skies but with a nice breeze. Fans will be working hard over the next few days lol

Well its a rotten day, doesn't matter the rest of the week has been decent its disgusting, 13-14C and moderate rain all day. Anyone enjoys this they need to give their doctor a call. 

Posted
15 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I admit that, for the first time since moving to Lincoln, I'm feeling a bit down about the weather outlook for the coming week.  (For me, the dull wet May was redeemed to some extent by frequent convective activity, so I could at least focus on the positives).  It looks cloudy with rain at times and the thunder potential has largely gone.  My birthday (22nd) looks like being overcast, cool by day and drizzly, with north to north-easterly winds and fronts around a low pressure system out in the North Sea.

Hoping for some kind of pattern change during the last third of June.

Just be grateful your birthday is in June. Some people have their birthday in the winter! The weather on my birthday (15th June) is usually pretty good, even in June 2012 I remember it was okay, though on 15th June 2019 is was chilly and unsettled.

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted

June 19 and Dublin airport monthly rainfall currently 0.8mm, with some showers forecast for Sunday, probably will  end Sunday with treble the current total. Otherwise next week is ok and if you leave an reasonably active life you won't even notice it. 

• Like 1

Posted
59 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

image.thumb.png.57e8f116d4c25d8c8ee00b52522f9e57.png

Summer in the UK summed up in a chart

Well at least we're not as bad as Iceland! They're STILL in single digits!

Also the far nort of Europe, such as Sweden and Norway, as well as the far west of France and the north west of Spain, look pretty cool too.

Imagine if the UK was 500 miles further west. We'd be even cooler in summer and even milder in winter!

EDIT: Is that a 4° in NW Scotland, a 10° in NW Spain and a 1° in Iceland???

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, mb018538 said:

Truly awful day here. Heavy rain all morning and 13c. Yuckkkkkkkk

35 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Well its a rotten day, doesn't matter the rest of the week has been decent its disgusting, 13-14C and moderate rain all day. Anyone enjoys this they need to give their doctor a call. 

Just dry and cloudy up here. ☁️ Currently 18°C. Very benign weather. 13°C and rain must be a shock after being close to 30°C in the south east!

Meanwhile, over in France.....

vervins.jpg
WWW.VISION-ENVIRONNEMENT.COM

Visualisez en vidéo et en direct la webcam touristique de la ville de Vervins, localisée dans la région Grand Est, France.