30th August - 22nd September: 23.4mm
23rd September - 31st October: 111.2mm
1st November - 2nd December: 18.4mm
3rd December - 18th February: 221.4mm
19th February - 2nd May: 30.6mm
3rd May - 26th May: 65.8mm
27th May - 16th June: 6.6mm
17th June on.. ???

Wet, dry, wet, dry. Always seems we get stuck in a rut these days. Weeks of wet then weeks of dry and back again.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety
14 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You need to toughen up mate, I wore a hoodie and full length trackie bottoms today on my walk and I was fine. Suuuuuuure I got a bit warm and probably should have worn shorts or took my top off but hey ho. I am just sleeping with a couple of blankets at the moment but I have actually woke up a bit chilly in the mornings, and with the cool down coming up, might need to put the summer duvet back on!

Surely this depends on where you live? Summer nights in SE England, especially London can be much more unpleasant for sleeping during warm/hot spells than NW England, so I think it is a case of not judging someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: windy

It depends very much on what your house is like too. Sheet metal roof and 10 ft west facing windows doesn't make for the most comfortable sleeping conditions even when the max temp is only in the low 20s...

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

European monsoon has never been a real thing. I hate the term! If it was an actual monsoon then June would be miles wetter than it is. All 3 winter months have higher rainfall averages.

See this page on weather singularities from Phillip Eden:

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

There has always been an impression that certain types of weather recur at certain times of the year � indeed, the idea is enshrined in ancient country

1 hour ago, al78 said:

Surely this depends on where you live? Summer nights in SE England, especially London can be much more unpleasant for sleeping during warm/hot spells than NW England, so I think it is a case of not judging someone until you have walked a mile in their shoes.

Exactly and these people are the first to complain when its 17C in Summer saying how cold it is. They need to toughen up.

Posted
6 minutes ago, Eugene said:

Exactly and these people are the first to complain when its 17C in Summer saying how cold it is. They need to toughen up.

No, we don't need to toughen up. 

We've barely had a few weeks of warm weather, with about a week to 10 days of very warm or hot conditions, within the 24-29c range. 

I will agree the nights have become a little on the hot side, but up until only a month ago, it was still quite chilly and unseasonably cool, even for london and the SE corner of the country.

We still had to put the heating on until May 25th or just before that date, with temps still only reaching mid teens, which was shockingly bad.

So my argument to people who can't handle a bit of warm or hot weather is, to remember not so ling ago we had to endure cold or very cold weather. The chilly damp grey conditions in this country always outlasts any period of hot sunny weather.

17c is cold for any time between late May and early September.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
1 hour ago, al78 said:

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

There has always been an impression that certain types of weather recur at certain times of the year � indeed, the idea is enshrined in ancient country

Yeah I’ve seen this before. Some of them make me laugh….mid autumn storms between 24th October and 13th November 100% likely…really?! Wow! Who’d have thought

I might do my own ones. Winter frosts 100% likely December 1st until March 31st!

Still don’t like the term though. A monsoon is a seasonal and predictable period of significant rainfall, which we we just don’t get here.

Edited by mb018538

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn, winter, snow, and thunderstorms.
24 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

We've barely had a few weeks of warm weather, with about a week to 10 days of very warm or hot conditions, within the 24-29c range. 

I will agree the nights have become a little on the hot side, but up until only a month ago, it was still quite chilly and unseasonably cool, even for london and the SE corner of the country.

We still had to put the heating on until May 25th or just before that date, with temps still only reaching mid teens, which was shockingly bad.

So my argument to people who can't handle a bit of warm or hot weather is, to remember not so ling ago we had to endure cold or very cold weather. The chilly damp grey conditions in this country always outlasts any period of hot sunny weather.

The thing is, there’s a lot that we can do to mitigate chilly evenings; heating, extra layers, blankets, etc. When it’s hot and humid at night, there’s relatively little that can be done to get comfortable enough for decent rest (there are only so many layers to take off!). Even with AC it’s muggy. And poor sleep, especially over several nights, does have an impact on work and quality of life.

Edited by Vansvansvans
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course

I've popped in here for a small tantrum. What a rubbish forecast. After a couple of weeks of this glorious weather, the misery of April and May seemed like a distant memory. The garden was finally catching up with summer, the veg started growing, out came the t-shirts, shorts and flip flops, and the wood burner had a clean, hoping not to use it again until October or November. Booked a week off work thinking how bad can it be - don't mind a showery day or two, but anything under about 23c is just not Summer. I've cancelled the holiday and restocked the wood pile for the cool evenings next week. Desperately looking for respite so I can get away for a few days - so gutted I missed the opportunity in early June.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, al78 said:

I was in Scotland from the May bank holiday to the first weekend in June and I couldn't complain about the weather. Warm and sunny most of the time and very little rain. Here is some of the scenery from near/around Knoydart.

IMG_20210530_121721.jpg

Barrisdale from Mam Barrisdale pass.jpg

Glen Shiel.jpg

IMG_20210603_120945.jpg

IMG_20210602_122541.jpg

IMG_20210602_125134.jpg

IMG_20210602_102255.jpg

Absolutely stunning part of the country. The weather might not be great up there but the beautiful scenery more than makes up for it. Even when the weather is bad it’s probably still nice up there and when the weather is good it’s a bonus.

Posted
2 hours ago, al78 said:

Well Markyo actually lives up north but I was just having a bit of banter.  As the title of the thread includes.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
16 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

I've popped in here for a small tantrum. What a rubbish forecast. After a couple of weeks of this glorious weather, the misery of April and May seemed like a distant memory. The garden was finally catching up with summer, the veg started growing, out came the t-shirts, shorts and flip flops, and the wood burner had a clean, hoping not to use it again until October or November. Booked a week off work thinking how bad can it be - don't mind a showery day or two, but anything under about 23c is just not Summer. I've cancelled the holiday and restocked the wood pile for the cool evenings next week. Desperately looking for respite so I can get away for a few days - so gutted I missed the opportunity in early June.

Disagree with that bit. 20/21°C and sunshine still feels warm and very pleasant. 

That said I’ve had a look at the forecast for London and it does look a bit rubbish, not so much because of the temps but because of the showers and lack of sun.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

Looks like Sunday morning, may be lively here.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2633691/day3

Edited by DIS1970

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: hot sunny summers to ripen the veg and cold snowy winters of course
4 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Disagree with that bit. 20/21°C and sunshine still feels warm and very pleasant. 

That said I’ve had a look at the forecast for London and it does look a bit rubbish, not so much because of the temps but because of the showers and lack of sun.

OK, fair enough, I nearly wrote 21c, then thought - no, it's summer I deserve more! I kind of agree at this time of year the sun is hot so provided it stays out and there isn't a freezing cold wind, 21 is acceptable for most outdoor activities, although I'd prefer more c if I wanted to spend time on the water based stuff I like. If I get wet I want to dry quickly without shivering. I was hoping to travel outside the London area for a week away somewhere - doesn't look like anywhere within sensible driving distance will escape the dull forecast.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

My sympathies. That must be awful. The feels like temp/heat index must be well over 40°C!  No way I could put up with that for five hours! I take my wimpyness comment back.

It does have its plus side though in Winter..going from a 32/33cplus 100% humidity room which some of our busy clients are even in Winter months, through the 2 barrier doors and then outside to minus 5 or 6 with snow doesn't half feel good!! Trust me you never feel as alive!!

Edited by markyo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Agree, any one who doesn’t like heat only really ever has 6-10weeks of it in the absolute best summers and that’s in the south, remember those of us how dislike the cold have to put up with it for 30-40weeks per year depending on the year. 

Posted

I've had to get my slippers out again tonight, might be a bit humid but cool and damp isn't much fun

33 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

I've had to get my slippers out again tonight, might be a bit humid but cool and damp isn't much fun

19C with a 17C dew point here, doesn’t feel particularly warm or humid and its dark, lights on inside.....

Edited by Alderc

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
57 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Agree, any one who doesn’t like heat only really ever has 6-10weeks of it in the absolute best summers and that’s in the south, remember those of us how dislike the cold have to put up with it for 30-40weeks per year depending on the year. 

I suspect the main issue is heat, especially in this country with the infrastructure and build nature of the buildings can make sleeping very hard for many. 6 weeks of sleepless nights creates a very negative view of that type of weather. The rest of the year so long as you are lucky enough to have a reasonable home or accommodation doesn't effect your sleep. Bank balance with heating yes but sleepless nights stick in the memory and are draining hence the dislike.

Edited by markyo
  • Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, dubmuffin said:

Slightly OTT- it's not realistic to expect summer in the UK to be a continuous, warm dry and settled affair all the way through.

Even the great summers of the past had cooler periods.

June 2018 had a cooler middle period before warming up again considerably in the last week.

• Like 1

Posted
9 minutes ago, Scorcher said:

Slightly OTT- it's not realistic to expect summer in the UK to be a continuous, warm dry and settled affair all the way through.

Even the great summers of the past had cooler periods.

June 2018 had a cooler middle period before warming up again considerably in the last week.

It is the moan thread . unsettled yes, temps under 20 unacceptable. 2018 was my dream summer, I guess if it is a 1 week blip and July delivers I'll be happy. Just happened to book this coming week off work to go camping.

Posted
4 hours ago, al78 said:

WWW.WEATHERONLINE.CO.UK

Very interesting, not surprised the greatest chance of singularities occur in the more disturbed quarter of the year I.e. the mid autumn, early winter and early Jan storms. Fewer singularities in the spring months also seems right, given it is the season least likely to bring westerlies. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

It is the moan thread . unsettled yes, temps under 20 unacceptable. 2018 was my dream summer, I guess if it is a 1 week blip and July delivers I'll be happy. Just happened to book this coming week off work to go camping.

Yup I'm off next week too, this thread could get an absolute smashing. I would cancel but still have a bunch of holiday I need to use up.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
14 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Check bbc weather for Doha! many might find it boring!

came across it, as weird that 2022 world cup is being held at Xmas! ruining premier league

Posted
32 minutes ago, dubmuffin said:

Depends on what you are planning to do. For gardening involving significant exhertion, I'd prefer sub 20C to 30C. If you want to lie on a beach and dry roast, it is probably the other way around.

• Like 1