Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
3 hours ago, markyo said:

Seriously looking so much more comfortable for sleeping, working and generally living in soon....Hello to a pleasant few weeks  of Summer i hope!

Yeeeeeeeep. We wave goodbye to warm continental air and say hello to our good old friend the Atlantic. The cool, showery, breezy westerlies are on their way! ?➡️

17°C and heavy rain forecast for you on Sunday. Wonderful! ☔️?

1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Oh well. 4 weeks of dreary cold and wet in May. A couple of half decent weeks to start June with the odd warm day and now back to the dreary rubbish for God knows how long. Sunday looks great. Rain and 17c. 

Oh come on it won’t be that bad.... As they love to say “at least it will be mild”! ☔

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Seriously looking so much more comfortable for sleeping, working and generally living in soon....Hello to a pleasant few weeks  of Summer i hope!

You need to toughen up mate, I wore a hoodie and full length trackie bottoms today on my walk and I was fine. Suuuuuuure I got a bit warm and probably should have worn shorts or took my top off but hey ho. I am just sleeping with a couple of blankets at the moment but I have actually woke up a bit chilly in the mornings, and with the cool down coming up, might need to put the summer duvet back on!

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You need to toughen up mate, I wore a hoodie and full length trackie bottoms today on my walk and I was fine. Suuuuuuure I got a bit warm and probably should have worn shorts or took my top off but hey ho. I am just sleeping with a couple of blankets at the moment but I have actually woke up a bit chilly in the mornings, and with the cool down coming up, might need to put the summer duvet back on!

I suspect my wimpyness stems from days like yesterday, i was working on the south coast(gosport) the room i was in for 5hours was at 37c plus with 100% humidity, it was dripping off the walls and ceiling(forced humidity, i work with steam medical sterilisers). It is very marked what a difference a high ambient temp makes, i came out looking like a lightly boiled lobster!...hence my relief at a drop in temps.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extreme Weather, Tornado's, Heavy snowfall, Thunderstorms

The national forecast seemed more like a forecast for the south and east quadrant of the British Isles - again.

Posted

I wonder, given the hopeless inaccuracy of weather forecasts, are forecasters like those chaps on the model thread? They see what they want to see. 

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)

Looks like we're now back to what we know best in this country. A couple of weeks at least of disappointing temperatures, rain on virtually every day and cloudy skies. So long as it doesn't last more than a couple of weeks it'll be alright.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

18c with dewpoint of 18c it's extremely muggy. Need a good storm! Where are they?

2 minutes ago, Freeze said:

18c with dewpoint of 18c it's extremely muggy. Need a good storm! Where are they?

Lol that ships sailed….

20 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Looks like we're now back to what we know best in this country. A couple of weeks at least of disappointing temperatures, rain on virtually every day and cloudy skies. So long as it doesn't last more than a couple of weeks it'll be alright.

Yep looks mighty uninteresting until the end of the month now. Starting to edge towards high summer now don’t want the troughing pattern locking in for too long. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
1 hour ago, DIS1970 said:

The national forecast seemed more like a forecast for the south and east quadrant of the British Isles - again.

As I mentioned in the convective thread last night, I don't go out of my way to criticise the Met Office as I generally like and appreciate what they do, but yesterday's thunderstorm warning for everywhere from east Cornwall up to Durham, for some storms that barely grazed the far south east, was a total farce!

• Like 1

Posted
37 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Yep looks mighty uninteresting until the end of the month now. Starting to edge towards high summer now don’t want the troughing pattern locking in for too long. 

I wouldn't even mind if it was slightly more unsettled and a bit mobile with systems passing us by. But it isn't. As is what seems to be the norm now, it's feast or famine. So we just get low pressure stuck over the UK again with nowhere to go, which can lead to absolutely rotten weather.

Ie GEM today. Same low pressure system stuck over us for 5 days straight:
image.thumb.png.7f81a8f9f7034bc5d003f332333c1cb3.pngimage.thumb.png.4332061d46b8562b8e19c2f474acd096.pngimage.thumb.png.25b9e21ad666cd58212cf2a1afd076eb.pngimage.thumb.png.88ea687debc7d7fb3803810b822c818d.png

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Struck by the need to turn on lights in the house this morning!  It's like the first morning back after being on holiday!

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

I wouldn't even mind if it was slightly more unsettled and a bit mobile with systems passing us by. But it isn't. As is what seems to be the norm now, it's feast or famine. So we just get low pressure stuck over the UK again with nowhere to go, which can lead to absolutely rotten weather.

image.thumb.png.7f81a8f9f7034bc5d003f332333c1cb3.pngimage.thumb.png.4332061d46b8562b8e19c2f474acd096.pngimage.thumb.png.25b9e21ad666cd58212cf2a1afd076eb.pngimage.thumb.png.88ea687debc7d7fb3803810b822c818d.png

I tried not comment too much on the GEM this morning, as it was absolutely dreadful and an almost worst case scenario. 

Bit worried as GFS has also recently thrown  a couple of these ‘there almost so bad they can’t happen as they go against the background signals scenarios’ 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: thunder
47 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

Ouch.  

• Like 1

Posted

I suspect my wimpyness stems from days like yesterday, i was working on the south coast(gosport) the room i was in for 5hours was at 37c plus with 100% humidity, it was dripping off the walls and ceiling(forced humidity, i work with steam medical sterilisers). It is very marked what a difference a high ambient temp makes, i came out looking like a lightly boiled lobster!...hence my relief at a drop in temps.

My sympathies. That must be awful. The feels like temp/heat index must be well over 40°C!  No way I could put up with that for five hours! I take my wimpyness comment back.

• Thanks 2

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:I wouldn't even mind if it was slightly more unsettled and a bit mobile with systems passing us by. But it isn't. As is what seems to be the norm now, it's feast or famine. So we just get low pressure stuck over the UK again with nowhere to go, which can lead to absolutely rotten weather.

It’s almost certainly won’t come off like that. Dartboard low over the country while everywhere house has high-pressure? Very unlikely to come off like that. Especially if it’s sustained for more than a couple of days. Worst case scenario for sure. That said the GFS also threw out a similar worst case scenario run the other day with “green snot” anchored over the country.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer
32 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’s almost certainly won’t come off like that. Dartboard low over the country while everywhere house has high-pressure? Very unlikely to come off like that. Especially if it’s sustained for more than a couple of days. Worst case scenario for sure. That said the GFS also threw out a similar worst case scenario run the other day with “green snot” anchored over the country.

I think this will verify. Almost every GFS run for the past umpteen days has focused on a splash of green snot perfectly aligning itself right over the country. A lot of the other models don't look pretty either. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything non-disruptive, and some variety

I was in Scotland from the May bank holiday to the first weekend in June and I couldn't complain about the weather. Warm and sunny most of the time and very little rain. Here is some of the scenery from near/around Knoydart.

IMG_20210530_121721.jpg

Barrisdale from Mam Barrisdale pass.jpg

Glen Shiel.jpg

IMG_20210603_120945.jpg

IMG_20210602_122541.jpg

IMG_20210602_125134.jpg

IMG_20210602_102255.jpg

Edited by al78
  • Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’s almost certainly won’t come off like that. Dartboard low over the country while everywhere house has high-pressure?

Bog standard UK these days.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Alderc said:

Is there some singularity in the UK weather around mid June where it is more likely to be unsettled? I've heard of the term European Monsoon before now, and it is why Wimbledon has a reputation for being wet.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
14 minutes ago, al78 said:

Is there some singularity in the UK weather around mid June where it is more likely to be unsettled? I've heard of the term European Monsoon before now, and it is why Wimbledon has a reputation for being wet.

Due to wavelength changes the UK typically sees an increase in westerlies from mid June despite the lack of a net positive vortex.  Suspect it relates to late spring (lots of easterlies and northerlies) seeing stong melt in Siberia and Canada which may promote any residual vortex to be displaced due to the thermal gradiant. When that falls back and the whole hemisphere is warm perhaps Greenland draws it back.

(As a mean average of course).

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
16 minutes ago, al78 said:

I think it’s more the fact that when it does rain at Wimbledon, a big thing is made of it. Wimbledon normally experiences settled weather, mostly warm and sometimes even hot.

• Like 1

Posted

Met Office forecast for my location looks uninspiring but not dreadful. Tommorow when I don't work has 24 hours of continuous rain which is annoying, but after that it is sunshine with intermittent rain and much cooler temperatures (sub 20C maxes). From the perspective of working on my allotment and keeping crops watered this is preferable to the 28C it has reached this week. Looks like a normal summer warm/hot spell this last couple of weeks rather than the beginning of another locked in weather pattern.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, al78 said:

European monsoon has never been a real thing. I hate the term! If it was an actual monsoon then June would be miles wetter than it is. All 3 winter months have higher rainfall averages.