Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Beautiful day here, clear blue skies and temps hit 28c 

As a Londoner before moving to Bedfordshire I don’t class today as hot. 
32c+ is hot. 

But no doubt would have been classed as hot north of Birmingham. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Reached 22c today with clear blue skies and no wind for once, perfect summers day felt very warm. Tomorrow looks like it will be the warmest day of the year here with 25c forecast and quite humid. Glad to finally have some heat on my day off.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

NW/SE split even worse tomorrow! going to be 30 degrees down there, we're stuck at 17 with quite a cool westerly breeze

Would be nice if we had it the other way around for a change. I guess it could happen if there was a shallow trough over London while the rest of the country had high-pressure with the main flow from the north-east. Would bring the hottest and sunniest conditions to western parts of the country.

• Like 1

Posted

Just look at the contrast in temps between coastal Cumbria and London!

default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

St. Bees Head last 24 hours weather including temperature, wind, visibility, humidity and atmospheric pressure
default_card_315.jpg
WWW.METOFFICE.GOV.UK

London last 24 hours weather including temperature, wind, visibility, humidity and atmospheric pressure

St Bees barely ever gets above 20°C even in a heatwave, it’s just constantly windy and 10-15°C most of the time. Like a permanent autumn up there. Bet Markyo would love that climate though.

Posted

For the Lake District, summer temp categories are- 

Less than 15 degrees, very cool, poor day

15-18 degrees, cool and lacklustre

19-21 degrees, pleasant, an average summers day

22-24 degrees, a warm very respectable day

25 degrees- marker of a very warm day in the Lake District, some years we struggle to hit such temps..

25-27 degrees, very warm summers day, highest temps we can expect in an average summer

28 degrees and above, balmy and quite exceptional. Temps above 30 degrees are the very exception, some years we see the odd day or two breach the 30 mark, on rare occasions inching up to 32 degrees, but many we don't.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Would be nice if we had it the other way around for a change. I guess it could happen if there was a shallow trough over London while the rest of the country had high-pressure with the main flow from the north-east. Would bring the hottest and sunniest conditions to western parts of the country.

Lancashire gets the best weather when North Sea Muck spreads across to eastern Wales but is blocked by the Pennines everywhere north of Crewe. Herefordshire southwards doesn't get cloud from the Cheshire Gap.

In summer the Welsh mountain rain/cloud shadow takes effect somewhere around Coventry (in winter it's Welshpool, about 75 miles further west)

SE/the rest setups for days/weeks/months is the Gloucester-Hull divide (I used to say Hereford-Lincoln but I think it's moved south on one side and north on the other in the last 15 years...) . 

Whichever way, Shropshire gets cloud. That is what is really annoying about summers round here!

• Like 1

Posted

High Summer temp categories here in central they could be described as “hotter” but when compared to averages they’re quite unremarkable a 30C day is far from unusual +6C warmer than average a 14C day in winter would think nothing of it. Personally 30C is quite comfortable with little exertion and low humidity it’s when it exceeds 32C regardless it’s hot and you feel it in London.

14-18C very cool

19-21C cool

22-27C warm 

28-31C very warm 

32 - 34C hot 

35C + very hot 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Lincoln has been near the boundary of the NW-SE divide over the last few days, it was very sunny on 12 June, but 10,11 and 13 June had a fair amount of cloud at times.  The 10th was the cloudiest day, though the cloud did conveniently break up during the eclipse.  Overall though sunshine amounts have felt quite decent, and it's certainly been warm.

Posted

A 100% blue sky day yesterday, and despite a gentle onshore breeze and the coast being a few miles away it reached 24.0C, the warmest of the year so far.

A summer temperature range adjusted for here where what I consider proper heatwaves are harder to achieve, would be something like:

<15C Very Cool
15-17C Cool
18-20C Indifferent (can be comfortable, or feel cool if breezy etc).
21-24C Warm (pleasantly)
25-27C Very Warm
28-31C Hot
32C+ Very Hot (rare, seen at Exeter airport in 76, 83, and 90).

Summer average is around 21C.

Of course it's subjective, I've felt pretty 'hot' in the sun in the low 20s, or been in the shade with a breeze in the high 20's thinking it doesn't feel that hot. I've been somewhere 33C was described as 'not a hot day' (it was cooler than the 39C the day before).

As for the general public, I believe a lot say they like hot weather but what they are thinking about is an air temperature in the 20s and sunbathing on the beach etc. When the air actually 30C+ many find it uncomfortable in my experience, and even mistake the feel of genuinely 30C+ air as 'humidity', even though the dew point is 12C (this was the case at a BBQ in Reading in 2018). A lot of people seem to moan about the 'humidity in Britain' even though we aren't that humid compared to many hot climates.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
3 minutes ago, Evening thunder said:

A 100% blue sky day yesterday, and despite a gentle onshore breeze and the coast being a few miles away it reached 24.0C, the warmest of the year so far.

A rough temperature range adjusted for here where what I consider proper heatwaves are harder to achieve: 

<15C  Very Cool
15-18C Cool
18-20C Indifferent  (can feel cool if breezy etc).
21-24C Warm (pleasantly)
25-27C Very Warm
28-31C Hot
32C+ Very Hot (rare, seen at Exeter airport in 76, 83, and 90).

Average is around 21C.

Of course it's subjective, I've felt pretty 'hot' in the sun in the low 20s, or been in the shade with a breeze in the high 20's thinking it doesn't feel that hot. I've been somewhere 33C was described as 'not a hot day' (it was cooler than the 39C the day before).

As for the general public, I believe a lot say they like hot weather but what they are thinking about is an air temperature in the 20s and sunbathing on the beach etc. When the air actually 30C+ many find it uncomfortable in my experience, and even mistake the feel of genuinely 30C+ air as 'humidity', even though the dew point is 12C (this was the case at a BBQ in Reading in 2018). A lot of people seem to moan about the 'humidity in Britain' even though we aren't that humid compared to many hot climates.

The humidity mis-assumption thing gets me too. Quite often we get 30c+ heat here with low-ish humidity.

For example the 38.7c heat in July 2019 came with humidity around 30%. Quite often it's in the 30-40% range during hot spells, which isn't high at all, but people just think it's humid because of the heat and get the two mixed up. You don't hear people saying how humid it is in the winter when it's cloudy and 90% humidity when it's 12c outside!

Compare that to say New Orleans, which often has temps into the 30s with humidity above 50%. Or somewhere like Manila/Singapore in the Asian tropics where it's above 30c with humidity at 70% plus. Now that is brutal and uncomfortable humidity!

• Like 3

Posted
5 minutes ago, mb018538 said:

The humidity mis-assumption thing gets me too. Quite often we get 30c+ heat here with low-ish humidity.

For example the 38.7c heat in July 2019 came with humidity around 30%. Quite often it's in the 30-40% range during hot spells, which isn't high at all, but people just think it's humid because of the heat and get the two mixed up. You don't hear people saying how humid it is in the winter when it's cloudy and 90% humidity when it's 12c outside!

Compare that to say New Orleans, which often has temps into the 30s with humidity above 50%. Or somewhere like Manila/Singapore in the Asian tropics where it's above 30c with humidity at 70% plus. Now that is brutal and uncomfortable humidity!

Indeed! I've noticed it a fair bit in online comments too. Another one is associating hot houses at night with humidity even though it isn't humidity that's causing the houses to be hot.

I wondered if it was a more common miss-association down here because people living in Devon and Cornwall (especially near the south coast) rarely experience 30C+ air. However at this BBQ was in Reading everyone seemed to be doing it, including some that had lived in South Africa saying 'this is like Durban humidity' lol

Posted
7 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Lincoln has been near the boundary of the NW-SE divide over the last few days, it was very sunny on 12 June, but 10,11 and 13 June had a fair amount of cloud at times.  The 10th was the cloudiest day, though the cloud did conveniently break up during the eclipse.  Overall though sunshine amounts have felt quite decent, and it's certainly been warm.

I'm going to visit Lincoln for the first time this weekend but the forecast looks a bit dodgy; how do you think it will pan out?

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sun

3 days of sunshine so far. I don't think there will be 3 days of storms at least here in the west. Maybe out east, but hopefully not 3 days of rain for anyone. From my walk this morning:

777.JPG

Mainer23.JPG

• Like 2

Posted
7 hours ago, Weather-history said:

Manchester Summer index is around 230 at the moment, cloud amounts were frustrating yesterday

Yes it was a disappointing day sunshine-wise. Especially how it kept looking like the sun was going to break through, the cloud kept breaking at points but never for very long. Teasing us. 

6 minutes ago, TQWX said:

3 days of sunshine so far. I don't think there will be 3 days of storms at least here in the west. Maybe out east, but hopefully not 3 days of rain for anyone. From my walk this morning:

777.JPG

Mainer23.JPG

Beautiful part of the country and a wonderful microclimate that you live in. Best climate in the country in my opinion. Warm and sunny in the summer (but rarely gets blazing hot) and nice and mild in the autumn and winter. Of course the downside is very little snow but tbh seeing snow and palm trees together would just look weird.

Posted

Despite today being much cooler than yesterday here it’s actually sunnier. Cool though, only 16°C with a brisk westerly breeze, but not feeling too bad in the sunshine.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Beautiful day here; cloudless, a light breeze and 22°C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

28°C here in C London and a few more hours of heating left.. Cloud approaching from NW though! 

First 30°C of the year?

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish plumes & stormy winters. Facebook @ Lance's Lightning Shots
6 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Absolutely stunning today, up to nearly 27C here now and feels very pleasant! 

And people say you can't be positive! 

• Like 1

Posted
50 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Absolutely stunning today, up to nearly 27C here now and feels very pleasant! 

In contrast it’s cool, cloudy and breezy here in NW England, only 16C.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

#Much better here today, good fresh breeze and 18c, much more comfortable and useable after yesterday!

• Like 2