Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Spanish Plumes, Blizzards, Severe Frosts :-)
1 hour ago, markyo said:

Certainly a trapped indoor day today for me! Far to hot out in strong June sunshine to be even remotely useable...

Don’t worry mate, the 6z op will cool you down soon enough..

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

28 minutes ago, 38.7°C said:

Tomorrow my weather app is just 17C here while 29C in London. I've never seen such a big contrast in such a short distance.  BBC news will probably run the usual "hottest day of the year" stories with pictures of kids playing in water fountains and adults eating ice cream while those outside London wonder what all the fuss is about 

Think you mean those in northern britain will wonder what all the fuss is, midlands forecasted to be 23C/24C tomorrow and getting warmer there by mid week.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
47 minutes ago, TQWX said:

Had to come indoors as I could feel myself burning despite upping the sunscreen to factor 30. I hope those who have'nt had great weather this weekend get something nice soon. Here its been the best weekend of the year so far. Some pics of the sky earlier:

Torquay Marina June 2021.JPG

Torquay Waterfront Vista.JPG

Yesterday was nice, today has been a bit of a disappointment. Fairly warm yes (current temp 22°C) but very cloudy. Also quite humid at 70%.

Beautiful part of the country. I was last down there in August 2017. Weather was wonderful warm and sunny. Especially during the bank holiday weekend which was a very warm bank holiday weekend that year. With the hot sunshine, crystal clear blue water and palm trees you'd think you were abroad. No one would ever guess that photo was taken in England.

30 minutes ago, markyo said:

Certainly a trapped indoor day today for me! Far to hot out in strong June sunshine to be even remotely useable...least the footies on i suppose!

Strong June sunshine? Where?? Been cloudy all day here. Feeling quite warm and close though at 22°C and 70% humidity. The complete opposite to yesterday's cool fresh and sunny weather. That said the sun is starting to come out now as I'm typing this. 

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
33 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yesterday was nice, today has been a bit of a disappointment. Fairly warm yes (current temp 22°C) but very cloudy. Also quite humid at 70%.

Beautiful part of the country. I was last down there in August 2017. Weather was wonderful warm and sunny. Especially during the bank holiday weekend which was a very warm bank holiday weekend that year. With the hot sunshine, crystal clear blue water and palm trees you'd think you were abroad. No one would ever guess that photo was taken in England.

Strong June sunshine? Where?? Been cloudy all day here. Feeling quite warm and close though at 22°C and 70% humidity. The complete opposite to yesterday's cool fresh and sunny weather. That said the sun is starting to come out now as I'm typing this. 

Sunshine most of the day here, ventured out twice, regretted it! Will be looking forward to mondays drop!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

Well, we do finally have a nice afternoon. Still a fair bit of cumulus around, but at least there's more blue sky than white/grey now! Got up (just) above 25 °C too. It's definitely not as sticky and humid feeling as it was with the cloud, despite the temp being higher. A light breeze helps. Actually it's now a very pleasant summer's day: warm and (mostly) sunny without being horribly hot.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Looking a lot fresher from the latter part of next week, and perhaps there will be a thunderstorm or two. Fingers crossed!

• Like 1

Posted

Still very cloudy and feeling close here. Not my favourite type of weather. At least Monday will be fresher and hopefully a bit sunnier.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Very warm day here with lovely blue skies and strong June sunshine, topped out at 28°C. 

Fingers crossed for the mother of all storms this week ⚡ feels overdue!

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Stabilo19 said:

Very warm day here with lovely blue skies and strong June sunshine, topped out at 28°C. 

Fingers crossed for the mother of all storms this week ⚡ feels overdue!

Yep, same here to the east of London, very warm, but still a few degrees short of what i'd describe as hot.

After dark Wednesday, into the small hours would be great.⚡⚡⚡

Posted

I think a thunderstorm looks likely in the London region and southern areas from Wednesday and beyond. 

Hopefully a night time one or late evening and nighttime combo. We haven’t those for a while. 

We had quite a few of those in June July and august of 1994, and in recent years 2013, 2014, 2016, 2017, and 2018 all produced some hefty storm systems.

Posted
2 minutes ago, DAVID SNOW said:

Yep, same here to the east of London, very warm, but still a few degrees short of what i'd describe as hot.

After dark Wednesday, into the small hours would be great.⚡⚡⚡

It looks more likely after a sustained period of warm to hot weather, which has been the case now since the last few days of May, getting on for 2 and a half weeks. 

Bearing in mind not everywhere has been great and lots of cloudy and disappointing weather has been present in certain areas. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

Yes, the current model outputs remind me a bit of the setup of late July/early August 1994, though shifted a bit further east which could limit the overall amount of thundery activity, especially away from the SE.  The GFS shows plenty of precipitation moving up off the continent but it's not clear if it will be primarily thundery in nature or more a case of "thundery rain" with frontal rain and maybe the odd rumble.  

July 1994 was certainly a thundery month at nearby RAF Waddington with thunder on 8 days.  I recall reading that the south-west largely missed out, but the majority of central, northern and eastern England had somewhat more thunder than usual, a pattern which started around 24 June and persisted until 4 August.  I also remember hail and thunder from showery north-westerlies on 3 and 8 June 1994, though this was more localised.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted

Just about feels warm here 26c after the artic start early doors. I went outside this morning in anticipation of a warm humid outcome. It was freezing. Immediately put me in a bad mood. But not too bad now must admit. Actually feels warm .

Posted
30 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It looks more likely after a sustained period of warm to hot weather, which has been the case now since the last few days of May, getting on for 2 and a half weeks. 

Bearing in mind not everywhere has been great and lots of cloudy and disappointing weather has been present in certain areas. 

Bearing in mind i only mentioned London.....

Posted
5 hours ago, GokouD said:

Yup, I thought it was clearing up where I am, the low cloud shifted, only to be replaced with endless cumulus. I really thought it was going to be a proper paddling pool in the garden scorcher today, but it's all a bit meh.

Yes the infill started appearing before the murk had properly burnt off! Struggling to see how that can happen tbh, infill needs sunshine before it can develop. Finally was largely sunny about 5 but now clouded over again. Yesterday was much sunnier here.

Posted

I think if you go back to about Wednesday it was all going towards a hot and humid weekend. But what we got (in Dudley) was a cold cloudy first half of Saturday and a struggle to 22c. Then got even cooler start to Sunday and a cloud laden day up until about 5pm. Then we got to 26c which for me is a acceptable. So in summary what was indicated Saturday 25c Sunday 28c Monday 25c and what we got was quite disappointing really.

Posted
38 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Just about feels warm here 26c after the artic start early doors. I went outside this morning in anticipation of a warm humid outcome. It was freezing. Immediately put me in a bad mood. But not too bad now must admit. Actually feels warm .

I must say I don’t think I’ve seen someone with such a poor “cold” tolerance as you. 26°C and you’re only just warm enough... You’re the complete opposite to Markyo!  Imagine if you two had to share a house together!

31 minutes ago, Summer of 95 said:

Yes the infill started appearing before the murk had properly burnt off! Struggling to see how that can happen tbh, infill needs sunshine before it can develop. Finally was largely sunny about 5 but now clouded over again. Yesterday was much sunnier here.

Same thing happened here.

• Like 1

Posted

Very overcast until about 5 or 6 pm then mostly sunny since then. Reached 23°C with a warm muggy feel. Too little too late to save the day though.

Tommorow much fresher 16/17°C, mostly cloudy and brisk westerlies.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I must say I don’t think I’ve seen someone with such a poor “cold” tolerance as you. 26°C and you’re only just warm enough... You’re the complete opposite to Markyo!  Imagine if you two had to share a house together!

Same thing happened here.

Nice one East Lancs. My tolerance of cold is zero. My only hope every year is that we get some warmth in between June 1st and August 31. Our climate is such that outside of this zone it is usually just cold or mild at best. I think that just hoping for 3 months out of 12 delivers something other than never ending cold rain wind gloom is not too much to ask for. 

• Like 1

Posted
2 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Nice one East Lancs. My tolerance of cold is zero. My only hope every year is that we get some warmth in between June 1st and August 31. Our climate is such that outside of this zone it is usually just cold or mild at best. I think that just hoping for 3 months out of 12 delivers something other than never ending cold rain wind gloom is not too much to ask for. 

It certainly isn’t too much to ask for, in fact it is pretty much a guarantee that we get some warmth (and heat) every summer, unless you live up in Lerwick, but your definition of “warmth” is different to most Brits. Go to any seaside resort when it’s sunny and in the mid to high teens and most people will be wearing shorts, even if it’s windy... 

I would personally consider anything above 20°C as warm in summer, so that would be the vast majority of days down in the south-east. For Markyo, he would probably consider anything above 15°C as warm, anything above 20°C as hot and anything above 23°C as unbearable!

• Like 1

Posted

Looks like that 30°C temperature not being reached on 13th June is safe for another year.

Posted

Very disappointing day here. Cloudy all day with heavy rain this evening. 

Everywhere else seemed to have clear blue skies.

Posted
2 minutes ago, mountain shadow said:

Very disappointing day here. Cloudy all day with heavy rain this evening. 

Everywhere else seemed to have clear blue skies.

Yup some big contrasts in weather and temperatures today. Currently 26° at London City Airport but only 12° at Stornoway. Perfect example of Northwest/Southeast split. It definitely hasn’t been clear blue skies everywhere else though. Here it was cloudy until about five-ish and we only had a bit of sun in the evening. Temperatures reached 23° here.

• Like 1

Posted

Well East Lancs. I guess I just like proper warmth/heat. I mean I walked up to the pub about 1pm today forcthe England game and the temp was about 23c. The sun went behind a long cloud for about15 mins the wind got up and there I was in t shirt and shorts not exactly wilting in any heat. But there you go 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yup some big contrasts in weather and temperatures today. Currently 26° at London City Airport but only 12° at Stornoway. Perfect example of Northwest/Southeast split. It definitely hasn’t been clear blue skies everywhere else though. Here it was cloudy until about five-ish and we only had a bit of sun in the evening. Temperatures reached 23° here.

NW/SE split even worse tomorrow! going to be 30 degrees down there, we're stuck at 17 with quite a cool westerly breeze

• Like 1