Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines

Lovely summery charts for the end of the latest GFS run Nothing like 80mph gusts and inches of rain to make one feel alive

633557A9-C5DB-4D57-AA41-C3EA6986DF96.png

Edited by stainesbloke
  • Like 5

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Foggy autumn days are the best! Although I does enjoy a good thunderstorm.

This morning I've got dark sombre glowering skies, and a really quite strong and gusty, but cooling wind... I have to say that it feels wonderful on my poor sunburnt skin. ☁️ ?️☁️

I have to say that from an IMBY persprective, summer 2021 has gotten off to an absolutely blistering start! ☀️ So this cooler spell today is really most welcome from my point of view.☀️

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Where we've had such a cold april and may I am wondering if the current spell would have less low cloud otherwise?  Long fetch SW moving over a cold sea.. recipe for cloudfest esp south coast/sw in general

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
6 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Where we've had such a cold april and may I am wondering if the current spell would have less low cloud otherwise?  Long fetch SW moving over a cold sea.. recipe for cloudfest esp south coast/sw in general

Nothing to do with that - the seas to our SW are above average:

image.thumb.png.c0dc8a1d7d0845c120f2b9162e0b2c9e.png

More to do with decaying fronts getting trapped (see below), as well as the air being tropical maritime. It just carries a lot more warmth and moisture by definition, which increases cloud and humidity - as well as giving the S/E the best of the conditions as the air dries out as it crosses the UK landmass. 

image.thumb.png.c9eab03c5bc4863681f6139cf080ebcd.png

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, mb018538 said:

Nothing to do with that - the seas to our SW are above average:

image.thumb.png.c0dc8a1d7d0845c120f2b9162e0b2c9e.png

More to do with decaying fronts getting trapped (see below), as well as the air being tropical maritime. It just carries a lot more warmth and moisture by definition, which increases cloud and humidity - as well as giving the S/E the best of the conditions as the air dries out as it crosses the UK landmass. 

image.thumb.png.c9eab03c5bc4863681f6139cf080ebcd.png

Exactly, I don't know why the cloud levels are a surprise to anyone in a setup like this. It's always been this way when the Azores High sets up slightly too far south. Warm, humid air with a lot of cloud usually, especially further north and west.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot, dry & sunny

Lovely warm spell if you.. enjoy cloud...

Hopefully the weekend is sunnier! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
17 hours ago, wimblettben said:

People in the model discussion going on about a SE/NW split next week but we already have a SE,NW split now.

The last few days here even in just Wales have been overcast and cloudy and not like the more summery weather other areas seem to be getting.

It’s still been warm though, temps in the low twenties where I am. Today is much cooler though, only 17°C. The south coast has had a lot of cloud to as other members have been saying.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted

Dull, overcast and breezy yesterday here in east Lancs, with a small difference between day and night time temperatures (21.6/15.3° C). A little light rain at times.

Today cloudy, a brisk breeze and feeling much fresher. Sun trying to get out now though. Currently 17°C with around 75% humidity. Markyo weather! 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Dull, overcast and breezy yesterday here in east Lancs, with a small difference between day and night time temperatures (21.6/15.3° C). A little light rain at times.

Today cloudy, a brisk breeze and feeling much fresher. Sun trying to get out now though. Currently 17°C with around 75% humidity. Markyo weather! 

Much nicer today!....steeling myself for this weekend now! Good job some footballs on to being stuck indoors better!

• Like 2

Posted
2 hours ago, markyo said:

Much nicer today!....steeling myself for this weekend now! Good job some footballs on to being stuck indoors better!

Yep it was nice to walk out today without feeling too hot. I love a cool, breezy, westerly flow in summer. I also actually like it in summer when it's cool enough to wear a jumper, hoodie or light jacket outside, like today. I do like summer clothing but I also like autumn clothing too.

Today has been overcast and breezy all day, with little difference between day and night temperatures (17.4/13.7C). Got the temp down to 20.5C in the bedroom with the window open. A cool, cloudy and dry day is fine by me in summer, esspeically as it's only early summer.

• Like 3

Posted

It rather passed under the radar last night but it was the highest June minima on record here with a low of 16.6C, beating the previous record of 16.4C set back in June 2005. That's in records going back to 1980, so it was a notably warm night.

This spell hasnt been bad at all here if you like sunshine, up to 92 hours at the moment, which is only 5 hours less than all of July 2020!

Edited by reef
  • Like 1

Posted
21 hours ago, stainesbloke said:

The UK climate is pants. Slightly more tolerable in the S and E, granted but still too cloudy and unpredictable in summer for my liking. I got out 2.5 years ago and I hope never to have to live in the UK again for the sake of my mental health. Sunshine goes a long, long way and shouldn’t be underestimated. 

Sorry but I’m going to have to disagree with you a bit here. While I do like sunshine what I don’t like is heat and in summer when you get one you tend to get the other as well. I’d rather have a gloomy 20° than a sunny 30°. With the level of heat and sunshine you get abroad I think I would get really fed up with the constant sunshine and oven conditions.

I definitely do not want a washout summer like 2007 or 2012 with constant northern blocking and a deep trough anchored over the U.K. But neither do I want intense high-pressure achrored over the U.K. either. 

I love a mobile westerly flow in summer, bringing changeable, comfortable, breezy conditions with a nice mix of sunshine, clouds and the odd shower here and there. And looking at the some of the posts in the mod thread that’s exactly what we could be getting.

• Like 5

Posted
12 minutes ago, reef said:

It rather passed under the radar last night but it was the highest June minima on record here with a low of 16.6C, beating the previous record of 16.4C set back in June 2005. That's in records going back to 1980, so it was a notably warm night.

This spell hasnt been bad at all here if you like sunshine, up to 92 hours at the moment, which is only 5 hours less than all of July 2020!

16.4°C for June minima doesn’t sound particularly remarkable for me, warm sure but nothing exceptional so I’m surprised that that’s your record maximum. Maybe it’s because you’re near the North Sea which has something to do with it. The other night it didn’t drop below about 15°C here which while very mild is nothing exceptional here. 

Only 66 hours here for the first ten days of June, according to higham-weather.com, a local weather station near me. That’s still not bad though, averaging 6.6 hours a day. If we keep the same level of sunshine then I’ll have 196 hours, not bad at all for NW England. The past few days have been let the side down here though, due to the south-westerly flow, which brings a lot of cloud here. During the first six days of June I already had 50 hours of sun.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Have to say here in south Essex outside London, this June is going far far better than June last year! For the first week anyway! Last year had a lot of high teen days, this year only had 1 day below 20° every day apart from one has been over 20° with 27.2° being the warmest, although that looks to be beaten Sunday and Monday! 
fantastic June so far! Even my birthday on the 6th june reached 23° last year my birthday it only reached 15° 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Latest UKV has pegged the temps back for Monday, and not quite as widespread as previous runs.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and warm in summer, thunderstorms, snow, fog, frost, squall lines
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Sorry but I’m going to have to disagree with you a bit here. While I do like sunshine what I don’t like is heat and in summer when you get one you tend to get the other as well. I’d rather have a gloomy 20° than a sunny 30°. With the level of heat and sunshine you get abroad I think I would get really fed up with the constant sunshine and oven conditions.

I definitely do not want a washout summer like 2007 or 2012 with constant northern blocking and a deep trough anchored over the U.K. But neither do I want intense high-pressure achrored over the U.K. either. 

I love a mobile westerly flow in summer, bringing changeable, comfortable, breezy conditions with a nice mix of sunshine, clouds and the odd shower here and there. And looking at the some of the posts in the mod thread that’s exactly what we could be getting.

Fair enough, we’re all different but I’ve never been a fan of the UK climate and I’m from a town 4 miles from Heathrow. It’s the UK, so any hot spells are almost always short-lived. The weather in May-August is vital for many people's well-being, seeing as the rest of the year suffers generally depressing crap, so hoping for a bit of warmth and sun isn’t a crime.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I personally do not mind the UK climate most of the time. It can be a little frustrating not being able to plan ahead due to the unpredictability of our weather, but I am more than happy with our relatively temperate climate, and we haven't been doing too badly for sunny weather lately. Even though summers and winters can at times be a little discouraging, I'd still much rather have a UK summer than a Saharan one, and a UK winter as opposed to a Siberian one. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes

We here in our part of the world have all grown up in a climate which never produces any form of predictability so we get what we get. Many times I wish to live in California or Australia maybe the mediterranian even, but I work outdoors so hot weather in moderation is wonderful plus I get very excited when some form of weather extremity is on the way,most of us do. Point being our weather is never truly dull and here in Ireland we get many days colder in July than December and its unique for us. I have seen bumble bees in winter and worked through prolonged sunny days with beautiful warmth during the alleged darkest months.I cannot wait for Sunday here in Dublin as it will be our warmest day in years and probably as most years go the warmest of the year. Im so happy its a Sunday.

• Like 2

Posted
51 minutes ago, emmett garland said:

We here in our part of the world have all grown up in a climate which never produces any form of predictability so we get what we get. Many times I wish to live in California or Australia maybe the mediterranian even, but I work outdoors so hot weather in moderation is wonderful plus I get very excited when some form of weather extremity is on the way,most of us do. Point being our weather is never truly dull and here in Ireland we get many days colder in July than December and its unique for us. I have seen bumble bees in winter and worked through prolonged sunny days with beautiful warmth during the alleged darkest months.I cannot wait for Sunday here in Dublin as it will be our warmest day in years and probably as most years go the warmest of the year. Im so happy its a Sunday.

“Our warmest day in years”? 
It’s only going to be 26C there

Posted
16 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

“Our warmest day in years”? 
It’s only going to be 26C there

That’s hot for Ireland! I think their highest all time temperature is only around 30°C.

Posted
1 hour ago, emmett garland said:

33.3 degrees in kilkenny in 1887 .We dont get hot weather here.

Wow. I wasn’t aware heat potential  was that low! What was it like there on 25 July 2019?

Posted
5 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

Wow. I wasn’t aware heat potential  was that low! What was it like there on 25 July 2019?

Probably not as hot as here. I recorded 33°C on that day.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
9 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Latest UKV has pegged the temps back for Monday, and not quite as widespread as previous runs.

Monday think full agreement now of a poor day, GFS only max 17 degrees, and bbc 19 degreees