Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

BBC forecast is depressing, almost no sun today, tomorrow even Saturday looking sketchy for sun. This is why the UK climate is just one of the worst, even under high pressure is delivers rubbish conditions time and time again.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Cold. Thuderstorms
55 minutes ago, Alderc said:

BBC forecast is depressing, almost no sun today, tomorrow even Saturday looking sketchy for sun. This is why the UK climate is just one of the worst, even under high pressure is delivers rubbish conditions time and time again.

You are definitely king of this thread not sure I have seen you say anything positive this summer so far. Try be more positive otherwise you will end up with high blood pressure  looks like the sun is already trying to break through here. Looking at the SAT24 it seems it’s breaking up in the SW as well. We she’ll see what today brings. I’ll be surprised if it didn’t break a bit more before your 2pm estimate.

Edited by Smokeone
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
43 minutes ago, Alderc said:

You’d be very unlucky to still be under cloud by Saturday. Today and tomorrow look iffy but Saturday-Tuesday should be largely sunny! Here’s hoping.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

Yes, all horrifically warm. Interesting the QBO should bar a stall turn negative this month on standardised values and the May PDO value at -2 was the most negative since 2012.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

The Solar eclipse is stunning!   The sky has turned white!

• Like 4

Posted

Yes, how typical that during the eclipse it is totally overcast. Couldn't make it up!

• Like 2

Well I'm supposed to be at the Rose Bowl on the 26th for the T20 match between England & Sri Lanka and that date is just coming into range on GFS.

I have a terrible record of washouts and rain interruptions at international cricket I'd just like one nice day. Been 8 times, 2 complete washouts, 1 ODI matched rained off after about 26 overs,  2 with continual rain interruptions, 1 which one really heavy shower meant the 50 over ODI was reduced to about 42 overs and only 2 dry days which one was about 15C and overcast most of the day (the other pleasant and about 20C)   

If anything like this happens on the 26th rain interruptions look almost a certainty. Plenty of time to change but the changing synoptics are already generating anxiety.....

GFSOPEU00_384_1.thumb.png.3065942897bd3bb8355f62feb7f1bbdb.png

Posted

The cloud and eclipse is actually working quite well here, in that it thins enough at times to see a silhouette of the sun with a chunk missing without any equipment (although you're probably still not technically meant to look at it).

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 2

Posted

People often focus on the negatives. Sometimes you get cloud under high pressure but sometimes you get sunshine under low pressure.

At least it's clear for the weekend, If it was the other way round, people would be moaning how nice it was during the working week only to be cloudy at the weekend.. but when it's the other way round, that's not mentioned and people just moan that it's been cloudy at all.
If there was a nice chart showing for 16 days away I doubt it would have been posted either.

Edited by Evening thunder
  • Like 4

Posted

I don’t think there’s much to moan about this June so far, it’s been warm and sunny. Sure, today’s dull and there’s been some cloud around on some other days but this is not Arizona. It’s not going to be sunny everyday in Northern Europe.

• Like 4

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Summer > Spring > Winter > Autumn :-)
7 minutes ago, TheOgre said:

I don’t think there’s much to moan about this June so far, it’s been warm and sunny. Sure, today’s dull and there’s been some cloud around on some other days but this is not Arizona. It’s not going to be sunny everyday in Northern Europe.

Unfortunately as we sit next to the Atlantic ocean, a lot of high pressure cells build in from that direction and have moisture embedded - or low pressure and fronts are close enough by to add cloud into the mix. A nice dry high to our East would do the trick, but on the whole it's not been too bad IMO. Perhaps i'll have a skewed opinion due to location.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
4 hours ago, Alderc said:

Ugh absolute clagfest this morning, drizzle, low cloud hard to imagine were under high pressure and hard to imagine this crud clearing up much before 2 or 3pm.

1 hour ago, Alderc said:

Well I'm supposed to be at the Rose Bowl on the 26th for the T20 match between England & Sri Lanka and that date is just coming into range on GFS.

I have a terrible record of washouts and rain interruptions at international cricket I'd just like one nice day. Been 8 times, 2 complete washouts, 1 ODI matched rained off after about 26 overs,  2 with continual rain interruptions, 1 which one really heavy shower meant the 50 over ODI was reduced to about 42 overs and only 2 dry days which one was about 15C and overcast most of the day (the other pleasant and about 20C)   

If anything like this happens on the 26th rain interruptions look almost a certainty. Plenty of time to change but the changing synoptics are already generating anxiety.....

GFSOPEU00_384_1.thumb.png.3065942897bd3bb8355f62feb7f1bbdb.png

Why does this remind me of you?

IMG_1232.PNG

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 hour ago, Evening thunder said:

People often focus on the negatives. Sometimes you get cloud under high pressure but sometimes you get sunshine under low pressure.

At least it's clear for the weekend, If it was the other way round, people would be moaning how nice it was during the working week only to be cloudy at the weekend.. but when it's the other way round, that's not mentioned and people just moan that it's been cloudy at all.
If there was a nice chart showing for 16 days away I doubt it would have been posted either.

I agree far too much negativity from some people on here...

2 hours ago, reef said:

Yes, how typical that during the eclipse it is totally overcast. Couldn't make it up!

Overcast here too.

Just had a look at BBC forecast for your location and it looks fine, warm and very sunny between Saturday and Tuesday...

At least the UK has a temperate climate. Some parts of the world would be grateful if they could have the UK's climate. It reached 44°C in Pakistan yesterday afternoon, who wants that?

IMG_1240.PNG

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
18 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Just had a look at BBC forecast for your location and it looks fine, warm and very sunny between Saturday and Tuesday...

Those BBC website forecasts are a waste of time. They have been wrong since the weekend. By the time it gets to the day in hand, it has caught up.

Posted
1 minute ago, Mapantz said:

Those BBC website forecasts are a waste of time. They have been wrong since the weekend. By the time it gets to the day in hand, it has caught up.

They're usually pretty accurate where I am.

14 minutes ago, Mapantz said:

Yup, woeful at times. Got away with yesterday but about 5mins of sun so far. I reality this week has just been a lot flatter and more westerly than it was looking 4-5days ago.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Autumn, winter, snow, and thunderstorms.
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

Time for a reality check. We live in Northern Europe, not the Mediterranean. Manage your expectations; we won’t have 30 degrees and blue skies every day. Even if the weather is great, you’ll be moaning about a single cloud that might appear in a week. 

You live in a beautiful part of the country, whether it’s sunny, cloudy, or chucking it down. Bournemouth had lovely weather at the weekend and it’s going to be fine over the next few days. Isn’t there anything good you can take from that? If you’re desperate for tropical weather, come up to London for the day. Actually, stay for the night. It’s hideously humid - something to really whinge about. 

• Like 9

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow snow and snow

Managed to get a little sunshine this morning for the eclipse, but not sure I managed to capture it....

image.thumb.png.0d1ef399a83b4ae5578123d87c5e2f3a.png

Edited by Timmytour
  • Like 2

Posted
5 hours ago, Alderc said:

I was wondering what had gone wrong as we were under HP!

• Like 2

Posted
28 minutes ago, Vansvansvans said:

Time for a reality check. We live in Northern Europe, not the Mediterranean. Manage your expectations; we won’t have 30 degrees and blue skies every day. Even if the weather is great, you’ll be moaning about a single cloud that might appear in a week. 

You live in a beautiful part of the country, whether it’s sunny, cloudy, or chucking it down. Bournemouth had lovely weather at the weekend and it’s going to be fine over the next few days. Isn’t there anything good you can take from that? If you’re desperate for tropical weather, come up to London for the day. Actually, stay for the night. It’s hideously humid - something to really whinge about. 

Yup, totally agree with you about the London bit. I think we got lucky this last few days temperature wise maxes of just 26/27 and thankfully the nights have been pretty cool,so far. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
33 minutes ago, Vansvansvans said:

I haven't seen anyone asking for 30°C every day? 

I think some of you are not understanding why there's been some moans and groans from members down here. The forecasts have been pitiful! We keep getting told how it'll be blue skies or wall-to-wall sunshine, and it doesn't happen. I know cloud is difficult to forecast, but we're not talking about a few fluffy white clouds, it has been infill or overcast on many occasions when it wasn't supposed to be. 

The members on here who are saying "Stop moaning" have had more sunshine, and temps 8 - 10°C higher on a few days.

As for the weekend just gone; Only Saturday was good. Sunday was overcast for most of it.

We're entitled to be a bit disgruntled, so you'll have to deal with it.

Edited by Mapantz
  • Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
54 minutes ago, Vansvansvans said:

Odd post... I don't think anyone is expecting a Mediterranean climate here... that's just typical 'lost the argument and run out of things to say' talk.

You could quite easily say... he lives in southern England, not northern Scotland - so should expect better. It's not difficult to grasp the fact that given the synoptics, one would expect better than the conditions that have been experienced for many, especially in Dorset which is one of the sunniest parts of the country.

Fortunately, I haven't suffered quite the same cloudy fate that those on that part of the south coast have. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Cold. Thuderstorms

Been cloudy here all day, 600-800ft cloud bases a few sunny spells. But I’m happy with that it’s warm and got the weekend to look forward to even if it’s partly cloudy I’ll still be happy. Still think it will be mostly sunny even on the coast here this weekend. It’s all a forecast up until it happens, weather will do whatever it wants. A least we got rid of that chill we had most of May so it could be a lot worse.

Edited by Smokeone

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I got lucky in Lincoln today, it's been cloudy with just the odd brighter interval, but one of these brighter intervals coincided with the eclipse.

IMG_6721[1].JPG

IMG_6733[1].JPG

• Like 6