Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

Quite a pleasant afternoon after a grey morning. But June so far quite reasonable in my book. I remember the Accuweather broad summer outlook which had ridging in to the UK. So far so good. The jet stream taking the rubbish to the North . It also said heat in July. Well I just hope it continues to be jolly good from now on. 

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk

Whilst the temps have been .. OK, I've only recorded 2 full days of sunshine in the last 10. Apart from a few bright spells today, it has been mostly cloudy. 

That looks like the theme for this week too, a lot of cloud.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Mapantz said:

Whilst the temps have been .. OK, I've only recorded 2 full days of sunshine in the last 10. Apart from a few bright spells today, it has been mostly cloudy. 

Strange that. Been plenty of sunshine in the past week up here, and much more to come, bbc weather app forecasting “sunny intervals” for pretty much every day next week here.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: 30 Degrees of pure British Celsius

Looks like we're well and truly back into the usual pattern...heating up continent and low pressure kept back to the west or north west, if you live to the south or south east it's either warm, very warm or occasionally hot in the foreseeable. 

• Like 1

Posted
10 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Strange that. Been plenty of sunshine in the past week up here, and much more to come, bbc weather app forecasting “sunny intervals” for pretty much every day next week here.

Yes it's been a very sunny start to the month here too and even the days that have been forecast as cloudy have often ended up sunny- especially the afternoons.

• Like 1

Cloud really struggling to break here today and temps subsequently pegged back. Could be a reoccurring theme this week.

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet
31 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Cloud really struggling to break here today and temps subsequently pegged back. Could be a reoccurring theme this week.

Decayed front trying to unzip but the atmosphere is too stable. Solar heating should help produce sun and storms.

Posted
14 hours ago, Mapantz said:

I’ve just had a look at the sunshine stats on your personal weather website, and they suggest otherwise. You’ve had 43 hours of sunshine in the last 6 days, very similar to me, that’s an average of 7 hours of sunshine a day, sunnier than your last five June’s except for 2018 which averaged 7.9 hours a day. You’ve also recorded 4 days in the last 10 with more than 10 hours of sunshine. If you were to maintain the same level of sunshine for the rest of the month, you’d end up with 216 hours of sunshine. Hardly what I’d call mostly cloudy.

I think we should not forget what happened a couple of years ago when we had the most atrocious weather during the first half of June 2019.. It was extremely  grey, extremely wet and extremely cool, some days didn’t get above 11°C here with pouring rain and relentless gloom all day!  Had to put the central heating on! I would never want to experience a June like that again.

I think everyone should be grateful for the weather we are getting at the moment. It doesn’t have to be wall to wall sunshine all the time. As long as it’s reasonably warm and mostly dry, that’s good enough for me.

WAREHAMWX.CO.UK

Live weather conditions in Wareham, Dorset. WXSIM forecasts. Weather information includes: temperature, wind, rain, solar, pressure, air quality, updated...

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 3

Posted

Cloud has very slowly started to build during the morning, but we seem to be in a shield or something looking at the radars at present. Still the odd patch of blue-sky bringing spells of sunshine, just a case of if/when the cloud will either take over. Most forecasts seem to suggest that it will. 

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I’ve just had a look at the sunshine stats on your personal weather website, and they suggest otherwise. You’ve had 43 hours of sunshine in the last 6 days, very similar to me, that’s an average of 7 hours of sunshine a day, sunnier than your last five June’s except for 2018 which averaged 7.9 hours a day. You’ve also recorded 4 days in the last 10 with more than 10 hours of sunshine. If you were to maintain the same level of sunshine for the rest of the month, you’d end up with 216 hours of sunshine. Hardly what I’d call mostly cloudy.

I think we should not forget what happened a couple of years ago when we had the most atrocious weather during the first half of June 2019.. It was extremely  grey, extremely wet and extremely cool, some days didn’t get above 11°C here with pouring rain and relentless gloom all day!  Had to put the central heating on! I would never want to experience a June like that again.

I think everyone should be grateful for the weather we are getting at the moment. It doesn’t have to be wall to wall sunshine all the time. As long as it’s reasonably warm and mostly dry, that’s good enough for me.

WAREHAMWX.CO.UK

Live weather conditions in Wareham, Dorset. WXSIM forecasts. Weather information includes: temperature, wind, rain, solar, pressure, air quality, updated...

I said I had only 2 days in 10 with max sunshine hours. That is correct.

216 hours would still be below average.

43 hours in 6 days isn't particularly good when there's a possibility of 15 hours a day.  If the forecasts had been correct, that total would have been higher.

The fact is, it has been far cloudier than a lot of places, particularly further North.

Looking back at your posts regarding how sunny it has been in your locale, it doesn't add up if you've recorded similar totals to me, so far.

Just to add; Ask Chris ( Alderc)

He'll back me up regarding cloud amounts.

Edited by Mapantz

Posted

A bit unpleasant out there today, not due to the temperature which is at 20.8C but the humidity of 80% that has come with it.

We should have been in the firing line for some storms with all of that moisture in the air, but as always happens, the wind has swung to the east so any shower activity dies off before it reaches us.

Posted
1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

43 hours in 6 days isn't particularly good when there's a possibility of 15 hours a day.  If the forecasts had been correct, that total would have been higher.

The fact is, it has been far cloudier than a lot of places, particularly further North.

Looking back at your posts regarding how sunny it has been in your locale, it doesn't add up if you've recorded similar totals to me, so far.

Well it’s definitely been very sunny here! Sure, we’ve had a couple of cloudy days, but even when it’s been cloudy it’s been very warm.

My sunshine totals are now up to 49 hours, according to a local weather station (www.higham-weather.com). Times that by five and you get 245 hours, which would be an extremely sunny month here. June 2018 had 258 hours, the sunniest on record since 1972. June average is only 138 hours here, according to another local weather station (roychetham.co.uk)

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 hour ago, Scorcher said:

53 hours of sunshine here up to yesterday- times that by 5 and we'd be at 265 hours for the month. You can't ask for much more than that!

Indeed. June 2018 had 258 hours here, so it would be up there with the best.

Posted
31 minutes ago, reef said:

A bit unpleasant out there today, not due to the temperature which is at 20.8C but the humidity of 80% that has come with it.

We should have been in the firing line for some storms with all of that moisture in the air, but as always happens, the wind has swung to the east so any shower activity dies off before it reaches us.

Same temperature here, but only around 50% humidity thankfully, with a nice breeze. Sun trying to break through the bank of thin cloud but not quite managing it.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

Today feels more like a mid-late August day - not particularly sunny, sun is hot when it occasionally comes out, and overall a humid feel. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mapantz said:

Yup, disappointing given the forecasts. 43hrs from 6days of which 28.5hrs came in 2. Again today it’s been painfully slow clearing.

South western and western areas could be really gloomy right through to at least Thursday with a big east, west split. Temps split as well, 25-27c in south east while places further west just 16-18c.

Just to add, looked like clearing here a couple of hours ago. Clouded over again, this is going annoying very quickly if this carries on this week....

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

The University of Lincoln's weather station is giving 24C with 65% humidity.  A couple of thunderstorms have passed nearby, one to the west which gave a few distant rumbles, and one just to the east which gave some quite loud thunder and I saw one flash of cloud-to-cloud lightning. 

It was mostly dull here yesterday apart from a couple of sunny intervals mixed with showers in the evening, but today has been mainly sunny so far.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

Heathrow has recorded 41.7 hours of sun so far this month using the raw data. The corrected actual total is currently 23% of the 1981-2010 average as per this link: 

Which would put the actual total at 47.0 hours. If that was continued through the month, the total will end up on 235 hours, above the 91-20 average of 209 hours.

Edited by B87
  • Like 1

Posted

I still think people are making it out to be worse than it is. People forget the worst like 2007, 2012 and June 2019. 

This is the UK, it's never going to be wall to wall sun and 25°C+ every day all summer, even if high pressure were to remain stationary over the UK. A bit of cloud doesn't spoil a summer.

Think some people on here need a reality check...

• Like 2

Posted
20 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I still think people are making it out to be worse than it is. People forget the worst like 2007, 2012 and June 2019. 

This is the UK, it's never going to be wall to wall sun and 25°C+ every day all summer, even if high pressure were to remain stationary over the UK. A bit of cloud doesn't spoil a summer.

I don't care about previous years. My complaint is that it has been cloudy here, so far,  and not as sunny as expected. Whether you agree with that or not, it is a fact, as I am the one living here.

The reality check needed, is for you to accept that we live in different climes and therefore, we will have different expectations.

Just over 1.5 hours of sunshine today, and the grey skies are back. That is not "A bit of cloud"

• Like 1

Just now, Mapantz said:

I don't care about previous years. My complaint is that it has been cloudy here, so far,  and not as sunny as expected. Whether you agree with that or not, it is a fact, as I am the one living here.

The reality check needed, is for you to accept that we live in different climes and therefore, we will have different expectations.

Just over 1.5 hours of sunshine today, and the grey skies are back. That is not "A bit of cloud"

It’s just depressing, most of the sky looks like this, but to my east probably about 10-15miles I can see the clear blue skies and it’s actually quite cool, just 17C.

34209901-8C87-442C-B596-B371AF7EA6B4.thumb.jpeg.c17d3e479a8dd8433d4a9f95d9568bd5.jpeg

Posted
40 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

I think to be fair it has been very good in NW England and in some other areas but perhaps not everywhere. Also average sunshine levels in Dorset are higher than around here in June.

Nevertheless, regardless of where you are-  in mid May we could only have dreamed of a spell like this. Even a cloudy 17C was a distant dream.

• Like 3