Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it

Very much the top end of what is comfortable for me today, the breeze has dropped so to warm to do much outside and certainly i find it far to hot to sit in without the cooling effect of the wind. Sunday looks better though so half a weekend outside in summers not to bad!

• Like 4

Posted

Lovely day in London. Nice and warm. Hopefully it the temp stays above 21c with long sunny spells from now until September. 

Had enough of that dull cool damp rubbish during May and cold temps.

• Like 6

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
1 hour ago, Weather-history said:

14th June ....2151,                that's the next total solar eclipse visible from both our current locations. 

The next very large partial eclipse is 12th August 2026 

Either way a very long to wait!

56 minutes ago, markyo said:

Very much the top end of what is comfortable for me today, the breeze has dropped so to warm to do much outside and certainly i find it far to hot to sit in without the cooling effect of the wind. Sunday looks better though so half a weekend outside in summers not to bad!

Still a gentle to moderate breeze here so not too hot. Sunny intervals rather than full sun. ? Current temp 22°C, 40% humidity. Very pleasant to sit out in. Maybe now that the wind has gone SW you are getting more shelter from the Pennines.

Next couple of days forecast to be dry but mostly cloudy here and only 18/19°C (still good for early June though).

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
19 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Still a gentle to moderate breeze here so not too hot. Sunny intervals rather than full sun. ? Current temp 22°C, 40% humidity. Very pleasant to sit out in. Maybe now that the wind has gone SW you are getting more shelter from the Pennines.

That sounds perfect, little if any breeze where in my area now, its not unbearable by any means, far from it but its enough to force me inside and shelter!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

This is definitely your quintessential British summers day  Everything is lush green, partly cloudy, slight breeze and 22c with dew point of 14c. 

All very agreeable I'd say!

• Like 4

Posted
1 hour ago, Bradley in Kent said:

This is definitely your quintessential British summers day  Everything is lush green, partly cloudy, slight breeze and 22c with dew point of 14c. 

All very agreeable I'd say!

Yep. Would love it if it stayed like this all summer but it's very unlikely. Either the heat will get too intense come July or more likely, the Atlantic will break through at some point with a return of the westerlies.

Posted
19 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It’s just gone midnight here but it’s still not quite completely dark yet, still quite a bright glow in the sky looking northwards. Sunset was 2 and 1/2 hours ago. That’s the benefit of being further north in the summer, you get really short nights and very long twilight times.

In fact, technically nowhere in the UK in June gets completely dark, it doesn’t get any darker than astronomical twilight. However this normally still looks completely dark unless it’s a very clear sky, in which case the sky will take on more of a deep blue tinge. The far north of Northern England and Scotland doesn’t get any darker than nautical twilight, so the sky never gets darker than navy blue, and in the far north of the Shetland Islands, it never gets darker than civil twilight. This means that even at 1 am, it’s still just about light enough (weather permitting) to perform outdoor activities without artificial lighting. You could quite comfortably play a round of golf at midnight up in the Shetland Islands at this time of year. I find this incredible.

I was in Finland during the World Cup Brazil 2014, and come 11pm it would become twilight, then become almost dark around 12am, but by 3am it was back to daylight.

I noticed most folk had blinds in their flats and houses, which makes sense. You need that to block out the light when you go to bed. 

The downside of living further north is the darkness between mid November until late January. 

• Like 2

Posted
1 hour ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Yep. Would love it if it stayed like this all summer but it's very unlikely. Either the heat will get too intense come July or more likely, the Atlantic will break through at some point with a return of the westerlies.

More than likely it will end up cool and cloudy like last summer, with the odd hot week or so.

I wouldn’t mind another 1983 or 1995, or 2018, but it seems unlikely. 

Posted
19 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

More than likely it will end up cool and cloudy like last summer, with the odd hot week or so.

I wouldn’t mind another 1983 or 1995, or 2018, but it seems unlikely. 

Last summer was also wet too, at least up here anyway. 2019 was also wet but was warmer here, especially in July. August was the best month of the summer last year.

I wouldn't mind a cloudy summer too much if it was dry.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold, snow, thunderstorms, warm summers not too hot.
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

I was in Finland during the World Cup Brazil 2014, and come 11pm it would become twilight, then become almost dark around 12am, but by 3am it was back to daylight.

I noticed most folk had blinds in their flats and houses, which makes sense. You need that to block out the light when you go to bed. 

The downside of living further north is the darkness between mid November until late January. 

It's interesting because when I worked in the US in the Chicago area the sun actually felt warm in mid Winter yet it was well below zero. The city is as far south as Barcelona so the UV still had a bit of a kick to it even in December and January. Yet the snow took ages to disappear, because of the extremely low dew points associated with the deep cold air. I noticed the nights didn't drag on like they do here in Northern England near the Winter solstice either.

Edited by Frost HoIIow
  • Like 1

Posted

Cloud and breeze appeared about 5pm. As it was only 22c the immediate feel was 'cool'. As much as I appreciate a decent enough summers day I like it warmer than this. About 28 to 30c is my bag. You then get a warm evening. And yes I realise it is our climate and all that.  But you come on here to have a moan so I have !

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: obviously snow!
5 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Cloud and breeze appeared about 5pm. As it was only 22c the immediate feel was 'cool'. As much as I appreciate a decent enough summers day I like it warmer than this. About 28 to 30c is my bag. You then get a warm evening. And yes I realise it is our climate and all that.  But you come on here to have a moan so I have !

be thankful it's not chacked it doon all day, which is what I'm expecting tomorrow for NW Midlands

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

The outlook is summer heaven from my POV. Pleasantly warm days and nights that aren't oppressive. If it stays like this for the next 3 months I will be very happy.

• Like 2

Posted
3 minutes ago, I remember Atlantic 252 said:

be thankful it's not chacked it doon all day, which is what I'm expecting tomorrow for NW Midlands

Ha! Who knows. I looked at Met Office forecast for Dudley about 11am this morning and it just had mainly cloud and the odd sunny spell for Sunday. I looked again at about 2pm and it had 9 hours of light rain from 12 noon. Been too scared to look since.

Posted
2 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Last summer was also wet too, at least up here anyway. 2019 was also wet but was warmer here, especially in July. August was the best month of the summer last year.

I wouldn't mind a cloudy summer too much if it was dry.

Yes august 2020 was the best month of the summer, but even then it wasn’t great. The first two weeks were hot sunny and thundery, the second half was cooler and cloudy. But, still some usable weather. 

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Frost HoIIow said:

It's interesting because when I worked in the US in the Chicago area the sun actually felt warm in mid Winter yet it was well below zero. The city is as far south as Barcelona so the UV still had a bit of a kick to it even in December and January. Yet the snow took ages to disappear, because of the extremely low dew points associated with the deep cold air. I noticed the nights didn't drag on like they do here in Northern England near the Winter solstice either.

Toronto had a dry cold, and once you get used to the minus temps, any sunny weather will feel ok. The windchill is what makes it very cold though.

I lived over there for nearly two years. Summers are usually hot, but summer 2000 was disappointing by Toronto standards. Lots of thunderstorms though. 

It gets darker earlier because it’s further south over there. The sun comes up later also. 

Edited by Sunny76
  • Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

You also get a horrible sticky night as well! Low 20’s is perfect for me. Any hotter and it feels too hot in any sunshine, and very warm conditions indoors start to become an issue.

1 hour ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Ha! Who knows. I looked at Met Office forecast for Dudley about 11am this morning and it just had mainly cloud and the odd sunny spell for Sunday. I looked again at about 2pm and it had 9 hours of light rain from 12 noon. Been too scared to look since.

So annoying when they downgrade the forecast at the last minute. The bbc weather app has done the same. Was forecasting light cloud and 19°C for tomorrow, now 18°C with light rain between 3 and 8 pm. Only around a 20% chance though, hopefully it doesn’t get this far north.

Posted
2 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

You also get a horrible sticky night as well!

So annoying when they downgrade the forecast at the last minute. The bbc weather app has done the same. Was forecasting light cloud and 19°C for tomorrow, now 18°C with light rain between 3 and 8 pm. Only around a 20% chance though, hopefully it doesn’t get this far north.

Too true chap. East Lancs you must be somewhere around Burnley/Blackburn? I have had many a good day out at the footy with my team Wolves. Ewood Park there used to be a brilliant pie shop just over the road from the ground. Tell me to knob off if I am talking rubbish! 

Posted
12 hours ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

Too true chap. East Lancs you must be somewhere around Burnley/Blackburn? I have had many a good day out at the footy with my team Wolves. Ewood Park there used to be a brilliant pie shop just over the road from the ground. Tell me to knob off if I am talking rubbish! 

I’m just a few miles north of Burnley. Never been to Ewood Park so I wouldn’t know, but I’ve watched the footy at Turf Moor plenty of times.

Posted

Cracking start to June here, current avg max/min 21.4/9.2, just 0.2 mm of rain so far and a whopping 43 hours of sun! ☀️☀️☀️ Long may it continue. 

Note - Stats come from higham-weather.com and weather underground as I do not have a weather station.

This morning a cloudy start but still pleasantly warm, currently 18°C and light winds.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

Not much to complain about really. So far this month and for the foreseeable, temps are pleasantly warm with the odd shower just here and there. No plumes on the horizon either (I personally don't mind them, though there are some who do). Just pleasant early summer weather which the majority are happy with.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91
  • Like 2

Posted

Been another gorgeous day here. The morning was cloudy but it's been one of those days where it gets less and less cloudy as the day goes on. Full sun from mid afternoon onwards. Very warm again with temp maxing out around 20°C.

I can't help but feel that this weather we are getting at the moment will come at a price and we'll have payback at some point - probably when the schools break up.

Posted
29 minutes ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

Not much to complain about really. So far this month and for the foreseeable, temps are pleasantly warm with the odd shower just here and there. No plumes on the horizon either (I personally don't mind them, though there are some who do). Just pleasant early summer weather which the majority are happy with.

Not sure about that. ECM forecasting things to get pretty hot next weekend with 17°C uppers over southern England. From a westerly a well, but there's a heat bubble forecast to be over England and Wales. Could bring first 30°C of the year if it comes off.

IMG_1107.PNG

IMG_1109.PNG

IMG_1106.GIF

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
13 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

Been another gorgeous day here. The morning was cloudy but it's been one of those days where it gets less and less cloudy as the day goes on. Full sun from mid afternoon onwards. Very warm again with temp maxing out around 20°C.

I can't help but feel that this weather we are getting at the moment will come at a price and we'll have payback at some point - probably when the schools break up.

I'm hoping that this current weather is a good payback for all the rubbish we had to endure through most of May..

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: extremes the unusual and interesting facts
1 hour ago, SummerShower said:

I'm hoping that this current weather is a good payback for all the rubbish we had to endure through most of May..

Yes,like i have said before,if someone offered me this spell of weather but had to endure a repeat of this May ,i would take it every year please!

• Like 1