Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

23c here but expected to drop off after midday as the wind switches to more south of easterly. Dreaded sea breeze.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I would like to mention that April wasn't generally cloudy or drizzly though, averaged nationally it was about as sunny as last year's April and it was also very dry.  There is a tendency to refer to all cold weather after an arbitrary date in March as grey and damp, probably because it isn't wanted.  I can't deny that May was a dull wet month for most though, with a few autumnal depressions thrown in, notably on the first Bank Holiday Monday.

It does feel as if the weather has flicked a switch into summer following nothing summer-like after the brief warm spell at the end of March (April was sunny and dry as noted earlier, but for the most part too chilly to resemble summer).  It's happened before - early June 1975's switch-around following a very cold spring was a particularly famous example.

• Like 3

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Warm dry summers

Northolt hit 26.6c at 11:30 making it the hottest day of the year so far

Edited by Summer Sun

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
2 hours ago, Snowy L said:

Another perfect start, long may this continue until November. For any cold drizzle fans have you considered moving to Svalbard instead of pretending the rubbish we had in April and May is normal?

It's currently cold enough to snow in Svalbard, with temps in the low single digits! In fact the average temp in "summer" there is still in single digits! Snow fans would love it there! 

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/norway/longyearbyen/hourly

• Like 1

Posted

Warm and sunny but with a nice breeze to stop it from feeling too hot. Perfect.

• Like 1

Posted
1 hour ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I would like to mention that April wasn't generally cloudy or drizzly though, averaged nationally it was about as sunny as last year's April and it was also very dry.  There is a tendency to refer to all cold weather after an arbitrary date in March as grey and damp, probably because it isn't wanted.  I can't deny that May was a dull wet month for most though, with a few autumnal depressions thrown in, notably on the first Bank Holiday Monday.

It does feel as if the weather has flicked a switch into summer following nothing summer-like after the brief warm spell at the end of March (April was sunny and dry as noted earlier, but for the most part too chilly to resemble summer).  It's happened before - early June 1975's switch-around following a very cold spring was a particularly famous example.

April and May had two separate problems (cold for April, dull for May), but the end result was the same, impossible to be outside in comfort unless wearing a winter coat. Both those things, cold and dullness, were record breaking. My annoyance is with those telling us to suck it up and that it's normal for April and May. Well obviously not otherwise records wouldn't be broken. Whereas the last week they hate so much is normal, perhaps 2 or 3 degrees above average for most.

• Like 1

Posted
29 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

It's currently cold enough to snow in Svalbard, with temps in the low single digits! In fact the average temp in "summer" there is still in single digits! Snow fans would love it there! 

https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/norway/longyearbyen/hourly

I wanted to use Tromso but they are in a heatwave at the moment which would defeat my point 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

I don't have any objections to the outdoor weather which is just moderately warm, I can see why some would struggle indoors with lack of air conditioning and the house becoming a heat trap though.  I remember a few days last summer when it got too hot indoors for me.  Today it's 25.6C in my living room, which is acceptable, but I tend to struggle to work productively in it if it approaches 30C.  The bottom line though is that you can never please everybody!  That said, I imagine that the current weather is pleasing a pretty high percentage of the population.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers
  • Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

I don't have any objections to the outdoor weather which is just moderately warm, I can see why some would struggle indoors with lack of air conditioning and the house becoming a heat trap though.  I remember a few days last summer when it got too hot indoors for me.  Today it's 25.6C in my living room, which is acceptable, but I tend to struggle to work productively in it if it approaches 30C.  The bottom line though is that you can never please everybody!  That said, I imagine that the current weather is pleasing a pretty high percentage of the population.

So true that there will always be someone moaning no matter what the weather is! Luckily I live in an old bungalow so it stays relatively cool even in hot weather. Currently 21/22°C in my north facing bedroom which still feels warm but not unbearably so. A comfortable 21°C in the living room. Highest indoor temp I saw was 26°C on the hottest day on record in July 2019. Because of this I don't need air con and I don't even own a fan, I manage quite well without one. Opening windows is my form of air con lol.

It's awful if the weather is cool though, had to put the heating on last June and June before and even on a couple of days in July last year!  

Edited by East Lancs Rain
  • Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Given in and purchased an air conditioning unit. Bring on the heatwaves.

• Like 1

Posted
45 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Good idea. They're becoming much more of a necessity in the SE.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

A chance that the ridiculous 13th June curse could finally be broken.

9rTGcUd.png

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
Just now, fellmike said:

What curse is that?

The only date of the summer to have never recorded 30c.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Basically intresting weather,cold,windy you name it
4 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

So true that there will always be someone moaning no matter what the weather is! Luckily I live in an old bungalow so it stays relatively cool even in hot weather. Currently 21/22°C in my north facing bedroom which still feels warm but not unbearably so. A comfortable 21°C in the living room. Highest indoor temp I saw was 26°C on the hottest day on record in July 2019. Because of this I don't need air con and I don't even own a fan, I manage quite well without one. Opening windows is my form of air con lol.

It's awful if the weather is cool though, had to put the heating on last June and June before and even on a couple of days in July last year!  

I find it so interesting how we feel and perceive temperatures differently. A bedroom at 21/22c for me would be unsleepable in without aircon, not just a fan. My temp is sub 14c if possible in the bedroom. Same downstairs, 21c would be uncomfortable. How folk tolerate different temps has always interested me, moaning about folk moaning about how they personally feel in a certain temperature for me seems pointless at best and when insults start then what ever preference you have its time to grow up in my view. Everybody is different.

• Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
1 hour ago, fellmike said:

Not even in 76?

The heatwave didn't start in earnest until later in the month.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: warehamwx.co.uk
56 minutes ago, Alderc said:

A mass of low cloud forming over the channel and north west France! That’s tomorrow ruined. 

Looks to be overcast for most of tomorrow. A fine line on Friday as well..

1661818415_viewimage(4).thumb.png.cd7952b30234d5767d7e25d1b8a7abb7.png viewimage.thumb.png.b91a736b492287192e2015971dc2976c.png

Posted

While I'm definitely enjoying this weather, I'm actually looking forward to a cooler and cloudier day tomorrow. I find continuous warmth and sunshine gets a bit irritating after a while. Nice to have a break. Forecast to reach 19°C and mostly cloudy tomorrow here which is still decently warm and is a lot warmer than what we had during most of May. After tomorrow it's forecast to be 19-21°C and sunny intervals for the rest of this week and next week which is perfect summer weather for me.

• Like 3

Posted
6 hours ago, markyo said:

I find it so interesting how we feel and perceive temperatures differently. A bedroom at 21/22c for me would be unsleepable in without aircon, not just a fan. My temp is sub 14c if possible in the bedroom. Same downstairs, 21c would be uncomfortable. How folk tolerate different temps has always interested me, moaning about folk moaning about how they personally feel in a certain temperature for me seems pointless at best and when insults start then what ever preference you have its time to grow up in my view. Everybody is different.

Well I would be absolutely shivering in a house of 14°C!  It's only ever got that low during some cold winter nights (as I never have the heating on at night) or if the heating has broken down.  At the very least I would need a thick duvet for sleeping and a thick dressing gown for walking around the house at night and a body warmer over a jumper during the day.

Posted
7 hours ago, B87 said:

A chance that the ridiculous 13th June curse could finally be broken.

9rTGcUd.png

Looks absolutely boiling in London and it's only early June!  Glad I'm not down there!

Which website did did you get that forecast from?

8 hours ago, Summer Sun said:

28.3c recorded at Northolt today making it the hottest day of the year so far

Crazy how the temperature just rockets so easily these days, I mean we haven't even got a Spanish plume or  really high upper air temperatures just high-pressure and a gentle south-easterly flow.

Posted
10 hours ago, Nick L said:

Surprised you didn’t leap for it last August I did midway through heatwave...  

• Like 1

Posted
6 hours ago, East Lancs Rain said:

While I'm definitely enjoying this weather, I'm actually looking forward to a cooler and cloudier day tomorrow. I find continuous warmth and sunshine gets a bit irritating after a while. Nice to have a break. Forecast to reach 19°C and mostly cloudy tomorrow here which is still decently warm and is a lot warmer than what we had during most of May. After tomorrow it's forecast to be 19-21°C and sunny intervals for the rest of this week and next week which is perfect summer weather for me.

But we’ve only had a few sunny warm days since last weekend. We could do with a few weeks of sunny weather. 

What I don’t want is this grey dull clag we seem to end up with, and it either becomes cool again or turns humid.