Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
On 25/05/2021 at 19:40, B87 said:

July 2014 averaged 26c here, yet had a top temp of just 30.3c.

July 2014 in my opinion was a near perfect summer month; apart from a minor blip at the start of the month we had maxima consistently in the mid to high 20s with pleasant evening temperatures up until mid-August. I don't know what it was like in London but here in Kent we had a few thunderstorms as well which always adds 'points' when scoring weather. Even the wind and humidity was ideal!

Contrast that to some other years like last year or 2015 where you get a couple of ridiculously hot days but the rest of the month is below par. I prefer the heat spread out through the month rather than all concentrating into a short spell. 

Fingers crossed we get some decent weather this summer, although I'm still sticking with my cooler than average summer. Happy to be proved wrong of course!

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
1 minute ago, Bradley in Kent said:

July 2014 in my opinion was a near perfect summer month; apart from a minor blip at the start of the month we had maxima consistently in the mid to high 20s with pleasant evening temperatures up until mid-August. I don't know what it was like in London but here in Kent we had a few thunderstorms as well which always adds 'points' when scoring weather. Even the wind and humidity was ideal!

Contrast that to some other years like last year or 2015 where you get a couple of ridiculously hot days but the rest of the month is below par. I prefer the heat spread out through the month rather than all concentrating into a short spell. 

Fingers crossed we get some decent weather this summer, although I'm still sticking with my cooler than average summer. Happy to be proved wrong of course!

June and July 2014 were both warm and sunny without any hot days. June averaged 22c but didn't go above 26.1c. July 25.9c with a max of 30.3c. August 2014 was very cool; average of 21.7c with a max of 26.4c.

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
1 minute ago, B87 said:

June and July 2014 were both warm and sunny without any hot days. June averaged 22c but didn't go above 26.1c. July 25.9c with a max of 30.3c. August 2014 was very cool; average of 21.7c with a max of 26.4c.

Interesting stats, I didn't realise the absolute maxes were that low. August definitely let Summer 2014 down especially as that was the only period of sustained below average temperatures that year! The year in general was characterised by a lack of cold days, rather to hot days which is why it's still the warmest year for the UK. 

Unless we get a real hot Summer and warm Autumn I can't see 2021 making any warm records! 

• Like 1

Posted
6 minutes ago, Bradley in Kent said:

Interesting stats, I didn't realise the absolute maxes were that low. August definitely let Summer 2014 down especially as that was the only period of sustained below average temperatures that year! The year in general was characterised by a lack of cold days, rather to hot days which is why it's still the warmest year for the UK. 

Unless we get a real hot Summer and warm Autumn I can't see 2021 making any warm records! 

I think 2021 is the start of a cooler phase, maybe until 23 or 2024. 

Just hope we get a couple of hot spells between now and late august, last for a few weeks at a time and a couple of big thunderstorms.

It’s not really been warm enough for thundery activity recently. We need a few hot days of 26-28c to achieve that. 

• Like 1

Posted

Two great July's in 2013 and 2014, ideal summer months, nothing exceptionally hot, just consistently very warm.

I'd be happy with a July like those two again. July is the king summer month, whilst June has the light advantage it doesn't have the headiness of July.

August is far too showy.. and can feel like the peak of the party merging into the afterparty and then the hangover! 

July on the other hand is the best part of the party, when it's got going and is shining.

Edited by damianslaw
  • Like 2

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

Well this is just point on perfect summer weather for me. Shorts are out

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Not too hot, not too cold
8 minutes ago, Nick L said:

Well this is just point on perfect summer weather for me. Shorts are out

Yep shorts out here too since Sunday! ☀️

Posted
14 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Two great July's in 2013 and 2014, ideal summer months, nothing exceptionally hot, just consistently very warm.

I'd be happy with a July like those two again. July is the king summer month, whilst June has the light advantage it doesn't have the headiness of July.

August is far too showy.. and can feel like the peak of the party merging into the afterparty and then the hangover! 

July on the other hand is the best part of the party, when it's got going and is shining.

Yes in recent years the best Julys were 2013, 2014, 2018 and 2019. 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017 were all poor in our region and last July was absolutely diabolical. Did not even reach 20° until the final two days here! Hopefully we did not get July as bad as last year! Please no!

Posted

As I said on the spring thread I think we are going to have frontloaded summer with a warm and sunny June and a cool wet August and July somewhere in between, maybe with a lot of torrential downpours and thunderstorms. Basically a summer like 2010 with the best weather at the start of the summer and the worst weather at the end of the summer.

I’ve been watching Gavin Partridge summer updates on YouTube and the analogues favour either a poor or frontloaded summer so that’s what I’m going for. Also with solar activity at such a low levels at the moment it favours a poor summer especially after a teaser winter like we’ve just had. I would love to be proven wrong of course it would be great to have a summer with all three summer months with above average temperatures, below average rainfall and above average sunshine. 

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
6 minutes ago, East Lancs Rain said:

As I said on the spring thread I think we are going to have frontloaded summer with a warm and sunny June and a cool wet August and July somewhere in between, maybe with a lot of torrential downpours and thunderstorms. Basically a summer like 2010 with the best weather at the start of the summer and the worst weather at the end of the summer.

I’ve been watching Gavin Partridge summer updates on YouTube and the analogues favour either a poor or frontloaded summer so that’s what I’m going for. Also with solar activity at such a low levels at the moment it favours a poor summer especially after a teaser winter like we’ve just had. I would love to be proven wrong of course it would be great to have a summer with all three summer months with above average temperatures, below average rainfall and above average sunshine. 

Sounds like a 2017 style summer also. Warm and sunny June, mixed July, poor August.

550468978_Heathrow2017.thumb.png.099081c0ba3a2389e0d015b827ae65db.png

Posted
1 minute ago, B87 said:

Sounds like a 2017 style summer also. Warm and sunny June, mixed July, poor August.

550468978_Heathrow2017.thumb.png.099081c0ba3a2389e0d015b827ae65db.png

June 2017 was very wet here though, and so was July. I remember June 2010 was warm and dry here though IIRC. That summer also had a lot of chilly westerly winds that meant even when the sun was out temps were often stuck at 17/18°C here, with a stiff westerly breeze. Something I don’t remember in summer 2010.

Edited by East Lancs Rain

Posted
1 minute ago, East Lancs Rain said:

June 2017 was very wet here though, and so was July. I remember June 2010 was warm and dry here though IIRC.

June 2010 was warm and sunny, July was warm but cloudy,  August was disastrously cold, wet and the 3rd dullest on record. Would rather have a 2017 over 2010 for here.

317196082_Heathrow2010.thumb.png.8cd3f602ed592845f6edb34b2d0a967e.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunshine, convective precipitation, snow, thunderstorms, "episodic" months.

June 2017 was an odd month, very warm but also dull and wet, apart from the SE which had near or slightly above average sunshine.  The warmth came mainly from a very hot and sunny spell in the third week, which at the time was the hottest June spell since 1976, though roughly equalled in late June 2018.  I remember my birthday (22nd) being depressingly overcast in Exeter following a week of sunshine and temperatures of 25-30C.  It wasn't just global warming either - had the same synoptics been repeated 50 years earlier it would still have been on the warm side.  

There was a historical parallel in June 1966, which was statistically similar (warm but generally very wet, fairly sunny in parts of eastern England but exceptionally dull in Scotland and Northern Ireland).  But even there, the specifics of the month were rather different - June 1966 had an unusually high frequency of thunderstorms in most parts of the UK, as far north as the Scottish Lowlands, whereas June 2017's rain was mainly frontal, via strong Atlantic lows in the first and last weeks.  June 1982 was another warm but dull and wet June, but again, over England and Wales much of the rain was associated with thunderstorms.

Yes June 2010 was dry and sunny.  In Norwich I remember a dry sunny first week, then a couple of thunderstorms, then a fair amount of cool cloudy weather around midmonth, but plenty of warm sunshine from the 22nd onwards.  In East Anglia and the SE this warm/hot dry sunny weather also continued for a large part of July 2010 with temperatures regularly in the mid to high 20s Celsius and occasionally into the low 30s, but it turned dull and wet in the north and west from early July.

Edited by Thundery wintry showers

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
39 minutes ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

June 2017 was an odd month, very warm but also dull and wet, apart from the SE which had near or slightly above average sunshine.  The warmth came mainly from a very hot and sunny spell in the third week, which at the time was the hottest June spell since 1976, though roughly equalled in late June 2018.  I remember my birthday (22nd) being depressingly overcast in Exeter following a week of sunshine and temperatures of 25-30C.  It wasn't just global warming either - had the same synoptics been repeated 50 years earlier it would still have been on the warm side.  

There was a historical parallel in June 1966, which was statistically similar (warm but generally very wet, fairly sunny in parts of eastern England but exceptionally dull in Scotland and Northern Ireland).  But even there, the specifics of the month were rather different - June 1966 had an unusually high frequency of thunderstorms in most parts of the UK, as far north as the Scottish Lowlands, whereas June 2017's rain was mainly frontal, via strong Atlantic lows in the first and last weeks.  June 1982 was another warm but dull and wet June, but again, over England and Wales much of the rain was associated with thunderstorms.

Yes June 2010 was dry and sunny.  In Norwich I remember a dry sunny first week, then a couple of thunderstorms, then a fair amount of cool cloudy weather around midmonth, but plenty of warm sunshine from the 22nd onwards.  In East Anglia and the SE this warm/hot dry sunny weather also continued for a large part of July 2010 with temperatures regularly in the mid to high 20s Celsius and occasionally into the low 30s, but it turned dull and wet in the north and west from early July.

I think the C.E.T. for Jun. 2017 was also bolstered by its dullness, similarly to Jun. 2016. I remember the latter being remarkably dull. the cloud cover meant minima were generally well above average but maxima weren’t so impressive. that’s less so for 2017 because of the heatwave which boosted the C.E.T. into the 16s despite being poor. Jun. 2016 I remember virtually no warmth. Just dull, exceptionally thundery, exceptionally wet & never warm feeling. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Temperatures ≤25ºC ≥10ºC.

Was it 2015 that had a really hot spell early on in Summer? I remember it reminding me of being in California as the humidity wasn't overly high.

Posted
3 minutes ago, Alderc said:

Summer 2021 currently sat on 10 out of 10!

Ha yes, add a few storms and i would give it 11.

• Like 1

Posted
2 hours ago, Thundery wintry showers said:

Yes I remember July 2010 had a lot of torrential downpours here.

Posted
2 hours ago, LetItSnow! said:

I think the C.E.T. for Jun. 2017 was also bolstered by its dullness, similarly to Jun. 2016. I remember the latter being remarkably dull. the cloud cover meant minima were generally well above average but maxima weren’t so impressive. that’s less so for 2017 because of the heatwave which boosted the C.E.T. into the 16s despite being poor. Jun. 2016 I remember virtually no warmth. Just dull, exceptionally thundery, exceptionally wet & never warm feeling. 

I remember June 2016 as a warm and wet month. I remember some very hot and sunny weather in the first week, then very warm, but also dull, wet and humid mid month, then very cool and wet to finish the month.

Posted
21 minutes ago, Stelmer said:

Was it 2015 that had a really hot spell early on in Summer? I remember it reminding me of being in California as the humidity wasn't overly high.

Yes, 1st July 2015 reached around 36°C at Heathrow and widely into the 30's throughout most parts of the UK. It was very short lived though and most of the summer afterwards was cool and wet. June 2015 was pretty decent though.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

Good start to summer, 23c and humidity around 48% love humid weather reminds me of the tropics with warm evenings.

Not saying it's humid yet but can't wait for it.

Edited by Freeze

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.

First evening of summer and comfortably sitting outside still in a light shirt. 

A stunning day today to, maxing out at 27.3°C.

• Like 1

Posted
3 hours ago, Stelmer said:

The only hot spell in 2015 was 30 June - 1 July. It also briefly went above 30c in August, although that August was a poor month.

• Like 1

Posted

Another perfect start, long may this continue until November. For any cold drizzle fans have you considered moving to Svalbard instead of pretending the rubbish we had in April and May is normal?

• Like 4

Posted
14 minutes ago, Snowy L said:

Another perfect start, long may this continue until November. For any cold drizzle fans have you considered moving to Svalbard instead of pretending the rubbish we had in April and May is normal?

I agree with this statement.

The damp cool cloudy brigade can now sit down and shush! It’s time for the summer folk to enjoy the lovely sunshine and warmth. 

The damp stuff can do one until late September. 

• Like 1