Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb
2 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

It was the same as 2009 in some ways. June being the best month of both those summers. Warm and often hot at times,  but July 2009 was thundery and wet, and august 2010 was cold and dull. 

August 2009 was actually quite decent, after the poor July. August 2010 was the 3rd cloudiest August on record in London after 1954 and 2008. I remember it having a very narrow temperature range, I don't think highs went above 29c or below 21c all month.

2009 was definitely the best of that spell of poor summers from 2007-2012. The first half of 2010 was good too.

670259420_Heathrow2009.thumb.png.12130ea0b0a282a06b8838c3adfe381b.png

Edited by B87

Posted
31 minutes ago, B87 said:

I wasn't alive then. I was born in 1987.

That went down like a lead balloon!!

A very blunt response, so I apologise for implying you were older than that lol.

• Like 1

Posted
32 minutes ago, B87 said:

August 2009 was actually quite decent, after the poor July. August 2010 was the 3rd cloudiest August on record in London after 1954 and 2008. I remember it having a very narrow temperature range, I don't think highs went above 29c or below 21c all month.

2009 was definitely the best of that spell of poor summers from 2007-2012. The first half of 2010 was good too.

670259420_Heathrow2009.thumb.png.12130ea0b0a282a06b8838c3adfe381b.png

Yes, 2009 and June 2010 were the best years out of that very poor sun from 2008-12.

2011 and 12 were very bleak, as was 2007. 

2009 and 10 were the best years for more snowy weather, although most of those years produced regular snowfall, even in London, and it became almost a guarantee every year during that period.

Posted
1 minute ago, Sunny76 said:

Yes, 2009 and June 2010 were the best years out of that very poor sun from 2008-12.

2011 and 12 were very bleak, as was 2007. 

2009 and 10 were the best years for more snowy weather, although most of those years produced regular snowfall, even in London, and it became almost a guarantee every year during that period.

Here are all the years 2007-2012, with those poor summers. Summer 2009 was the best, but which year was the best overall? Maybe 2011?

1331589732_Heathrow2007.thumb.png.5607bf8ef046757acc5faa1c71aeed2e.png1827778919_Heathrow2011.thumb.png.7b095f51b0cb81cc47f44ef3e4e6dd56.png1415905753_Heathrow2010.thumb.png.be2d489791cf305416026d7738e30c53.png1371457420_Heathrow2009.thumb.png.b4031f04a989a94b2aab73ab114a24ad.png1832012078_Heathrow2008.thumb.png.60be62d2a77a7ecd03366263b0762230.png1084839512_Heathrow2012.thumb.png.891c03542c134efe1274fa855ffa1edb.png

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Hot and Thundery, Cold and Snowy
20 minutes ago, B87 said:

Here are all the years 2007-2012, with those poor summers. Summer 2009 was the best, but which year was the best overall? Maybe 2011?

1331589732_Heathrow2007.thumb.png.5607bf8ef046757acc5faa1c71aeed2e.png1827778919_Heathrow2011.thumb.png.7b095f51b0cb81cc47f44ef3e4e6dd56.png1415905753_Heathrow2010.thumb.png.be2d489791cf305416026d7738e30c53.png1371457420_Heathrow2009.thumb.png.b4031f04a989a94b2aab73ab114a24ad.png1832012078_Heathrow2008.thumb.png.60be62d2a77a7ecd03366263b0762230.png1084839512_Heathrow2012.thumb.png.891c03542c134efe1274fa855ffa1edb.png

2011 was to me the most boring drab year out of them all. Devoid of any extremes or exciting weather, except the end of April that year and of course the start of October, which was ironically only bettered by higher temperatures on June 27/28th. At least 2007 and 2012 had some interesting weather. 2008 was just as bad too! 2009 the best of a very bad bunch. 

Edited by East_England_Stormchaser91

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Snow and sun in winter; warm and bright otherwise; not a big storm fan

I realise it'd be less exciting than some here would want, but give me a summer that's warmer, drier and sunnier than average but not stupidly humid or full of severe storms and I'll be happy. I'd take another summer 1995! Hot yes, but I don't remember it being oppressive and sticky. Of course it would be ironic if in the months after finally being allowed to eat indoors again, we have a summer where everyone wants to sit outside anyway!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Continental winters & summers.
2 hours ago, Arctic Hare said:

I realise it'd be less exciting than some here would want, but give me a summer that's warmer, drier and sunnier than average but not stupidly humid or full of severe storms and I'll be happy. I'd take another summer 1995! Hot yes, but I don't remember it being oppressive and sticky. Of course it would be ironic if in the months after finally being allowed to eat indoors again, we have a summer where everyone wants to sit outside anyway!

I think the humid heat in 1995 was in July and the opening days of August, then most of August had a much more pleasant type of heat. A rarity to have heat without the humidity in August.

• Like 1

Posted

I basically come on here and moan a lot. I even moan if it is a fresh summers day and 20c and the sun goes behind a cloud and it feels cold. But there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on here and I appreciate that. I basically look out of the window and that is the weather. However another moan of mine is that it seems to take ages to transition from winter to summer whereas the opposite from summer to winter takes about 4 weeks. For example why cant we have summer lingering on in November like winter does in May? 

• Like 2

Posted
26 minutes ago, NEVES SCREAMER said:

I basically come on here and moan a lot. I even moan if it is a fresh summers day and 20c and the sun goes behind a cloud and it feels cold. But there are a lot of very knowledgeable folks on here and I appreciate that. I basically look out of the window and that is the weather. However another moan of mine is that it seems to take ages to transition from winter to summer whereas the opposite from summer to winter takes about 4 weeks. For example why cant we have summer lingering on in November like winter does in May? 

Lol, yes it does seem to be the case.

The fading summer feel starts to take hold from mid to late august, and by late September the chilly feel to things creeps in more noticeably. I think psychologically, the darker time of year seems to move in much faster, as opposed to coming out of the darker months. 

The recovering from winter into summer, seems to take a long time from late February to early May. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

Lol, yes it does seem to be the case.

The fading summer feel starts to take hold from mid to late august, and by late September the chilly feel to things creeps in more noticeably. I think psychologically, the darker time of year seems to move in much faster, as opposed to coming out of the darker months. 

The recovering from winter into summer, seems to take a long time from late February to early May. 

You're not imagining it, average temps drop much more quickly than they rise. This is due to the latency between solar input and northern hemisphere temperatures. In October for example the sun is the same as in February meaning warmth is just residual and cannot be sustained. 

The same happens in a day as the temperature rises steadily, peaks late afternoon then drops quickly around sunset. 

Gonna be honest I wouldn't want a slow Autumn. The idea of days slowly getting colder is like slowly getting into cold water. Get it over and done with and jump in!

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Anything below 0c or above 20c. Also love a good thunderstorm!

As for this summer I'm going for a cool to average summer. Here in Kent we've had a good run overall since 2013 (apart from 2015) but I feel this year will buck the trend.

May: wet and cool with one plume (like 2012)

June: wet and cool again (like 2012)

July: dry and average temps (like 2010)

August: slightly wetter than average and cool but with warm spell at end (like 2017)

September: dry and slightly cool (like 2015)

Going for a short feeling summer. Loads of trees aren't in leaf yet but in 4 months time they'll be on the turn again!

Posted
1 hour ago, Bradley in Kent said:

You're not imagining it, average temps drop much more quickly than they rise. This is due to the latency between solar input and northern hemisphere temperatures. In October for example the sun is the same as in February meaning warmth is just residual and cannot be sustained. 

The same happens in a day as the temperature rises steadily, peaks late afternoon then drops quickly around sunset. 

Gonna be honest I wouldn't want a slow Autumn. The idea of days slowly getting colder is like slowly getting into cold water. Get it over and done with and jump in!

Just as the sun is weak in October it is probably at its strongest or near it in May and yet winter just goes on and on and on and on..

Posted

June: To have quite a unremarkable beginning some warm, dry days but also some showery and cooler weather. A very hot spell midmonth with some record breaking heat in Scotland. The 16th being the hottest day with temperatures widely above 30.C. (Hottest around 34.C in the south east and a few parts of Scotland). There will then be a thundery breakdown but only in the west while the east cools down but still stays pleasant. The end of the month being like the start. Quite a wet month in the west but warm and dry in the east.

July: Dry and sunny in most areas. A unremarkable month in terms of temperatures. However with a lot of cool nights countrywide. Minima widely below 10.C on many days throughout the month while maximum temperatures are around average. There will be one very wet spell (the only of the month) 19th-23rd. While the rest of the month stays pleasant albeit not very warm. First July since 2011 not to hit 30.C highest maximum around 27/28.C on the second week. Several air frosts recorded in the north and sheltered southern areas. 

August: A cool, wet first week, followed by a two week long countrywide heatwave before a very cool and wet end. Some heavy rain brings flooding around the 4th with the north of England bearing the brunt. High pressure takes over from the 7th-22nd bringing very warm and sunny weather to all areas with very little rain. Maximums consistently in the mid-high 20’s in Scotland/northern England  with the odd 30.C day. While there are several 35.C days in the south. There’s a massive countrywide thunderstorm on the 24th bringing an end to the heatwave while the final week is absolutely miserable. Heavy rain and temperatures struggling to get above 14.C. This will then give way to a warm and sunny September.

Overall not a bad summer but not consistently glorious either. One of the better summers in the north however.

Posted
On 01/05/2021 at 22:06, summer blizzard said:

Summer 2010 was actually more of a summer of two halves. A relatively warm, dry and unexceptional (though July was quite humid in Leeds) first half and a fairly cool and wet second half.

Summer 2010 was not a bad summer IMO. I live in Scotland and the June that year was absolutely brilliant. Plenty of warm sunny days without it getting too hot or wet. July despite all the rainfall wasn’t cold and there were several really warm days between the rain. August 2010 was actually a very pleasant month here. It was cool especially at night but there was plenty of sunny days and the rainfall was actually below average.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

Here’s a more detailed guess/prediction of the coming summer than I originally gave:

June - Cooler & wetter than average, the coolest since 2013. Quite a strong west/northwesterly flow , particularly early & late with a more high pressure orientated spell during the middle portion of the month, but not aligned in any way to bring heat. The first June in quite a few years to not reach 30C. Rainfall 130% of average, sunshine 85%. Max -1.0 below, Min -0.5 below

July - Notably cool month with many spells of autumnal gales & very cool days. Another month that fails to reach 30C, probably the highest something like 26-28C with short lasting areas of warmth from the SW before being swept away by low pressure. Like June, somewhat more settled spell mid-month with pleasant days but quite cool nights. Coldest July for ten years, perhaps longer. Rainfall 140%, sunshine 80%. Max -2.0 below, min -1.0 below.

August - The warmest month of the summer but not particularly hot. Quite an average month. The hottest spell of the summer with a plume of hot air during the first ten days giving us the hottest day of the year, 32-33C with copious thunderstorms. Much cooler second half but not totally awful. High pressure albeit in a cooler position bringing fine days and cool nights, before a return to autumnal conditions with stronger winds and outbreaks of rain to end the month. Rainfall 110%, sunshine 95%. Max -1.0 below, min 0.0 average. 

C.E.T. estimate - 13.4 • 14.9 • 15.9

• Like 1

Posted

August last year wasn’t too bad was it?

I remember driving to the river with my dog and my car was an actual furnace and I also got some of my only storms of the summer.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.
12 minutes ago, Azazel said:

I remember driving to the river with my dog and my car was an actual furnace and I also got some of my only storms of the summer.

I think it depends on where you lived. in the south, they were treated to a very hot first-half, but I was actually in Carlisle during the first half of August before spending the second-half back in the SE. up there, the heatwave was nothing to write home about & was just generally quite warm & pleasant with some thunderstorms (that we missed out on). before that, it was actually cold & unsettled. the 5th poured with rain with temperatures in the low teens.  the second half of August that I spent in the SE I don’t remember too fondly at all. felt generally quite humid, but more notably there were frequent & heavy showers, thunderstorms & outbreaks of rain on most days with the 22nd being notably cool. so overall, I remember Aug. 2020 as feeling mostly cool, very wet & unsettled. but people I know remarked that the heatwave was very intense. I’m glad I missed it tbh. 

Edited by LetItSnow!

Posted

Would be sods law for the summer to be a cool wet one, given the likely restrictions we may be under in terms of travel. Fancy a week's camping in the UK when its cool and wet... we really could do with a warm dry one this year more than ever!

• Like 1

Posted

Given two of the three hottest days in UK history have occurred in the last two years, and a genuinely memorable heatwave three years ago, I really wouldn't be too bothered by an average/below-average summer of the kind we regularly got about a decade ago again - indeed remove July/early August 2013 from the equation and you have a massive gap between the 2006 and 2018 heatwave summers, bar the odd one-off day like 01/07/2015.

In the last 15 years, I'd rate the summers here in London as the following:

Exceptional: 2006, 2013, 2018

Above average: 2019, 2020

Average: 2009, 2010, 2014, 2015, 2017

Below average: 2011, 2012, 2016

Awful: 2007, 2008

I think 2008 especially seems forgotten how bad it was, even more so I think than the infamously flooded 2007 with Rihanna's 'Umbrella' at number 1 in the charts for weeks. A tiny handful of warm days with the only notable heatwave around early May time. Equally I think 2012 gets an unfair reputation as though it did have an awful April and June, there were some significant sunny days in late May and by the time of the Olympics.

Regarding the 2009-10 comparisons earlier, I rate 2010 higher just because of the strong first half. I remember some early promise in 2009 just because of how bad the last two years had been but it never really got going here, and it's the snowy start and end of the year I remember the most weatherwise from then. 2011 I didn't mind too much because of those fantastic days in April and late September/early October bookending the summer, although it did feel a bit confusing to have such sunny days at the 'wrong' time of year -  see also Autumn 2014 and February 2019 for that.

I've put 2016 as below average as I don't remember any notable sunny spells like the (brief) ones in other years between 2014-17, although I did spend a lot of that year outside of the UK so maybe I missed them? Equally the last two years may seem higher than expected as the weeks I was in the country seemed to coincide with the best ones.

• Like 1

Posted
51 minutes ago, Billy Hicks said:

I've put 2016 as below average as I don't remember any notable sunny spells like the (brief) ones in other years between 2014-17, although I did spend a lot of that year outside of the UK so maybe I missed them? Equally the last two years may seem higher than expected as the weeks I was in the country seemed to coincide with the best ones.

August 2016 had 222 hours of sun so it was slightly sunnier than average in London. June 2016 was the cloudiest on record, July was a little cloudier than average as well. September was also dull despite being warm.

Summer 2020 was the most recent one to have every month cloudier than average. We haven't seen a summer record above average sun in every month since 2003!

Edited by B87
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted
5 hours ago, Azazel said:

I thought August 2020 was a poor month. I live in Scotland and aside from the first week it was almost consistently cool and wet day after day. The first week was quite pleasant and warm. There was that brief heatwave on the 12th which brought an absolutely brilliant thunderstorm but from then on with was awful. I do think the south had a pleasant month however.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: T storms, severe gales, heat and sun, cold and snow

It was pleasant as a whole month here however, there was a 7 day run of 34+ temps even on the coast and some inland locations must have had I think at least 3 or 4 36c days. A bit too much I think. The odd day that hot is fine but not for over a week. Through the roof humidity too.

Posted
3 hours ago, Freeze said:

It was pleasant as a whole month here however, there was a 7 day run of 34+ temps even on the coast and some inland locations must have had I think at least 3 or 4 36c days. A bit too much I think. The odd day that hot is fine but not for over a week. Through the roof humidity too.

It was a bit too hot, but only for a short time. I would gladly take a couple of weeks of 30-35c, after all the cold temps we’ve endured and biting wind. 

Today was as bleak as it could get for early May, cold cloudy and windy and struggling to even reach 13c, felt like 10c in the wind. Really dreadful weather.