Snow?
Local
Radar
Cold?
IGNORED

Summer 2021: Moans, Groans, Ramps and Banter

Posted

It's May tomorrow and that means meteorological summer begins in a month. Time for a summer 2021 thread I feel, as it is around now firm thoughts turn to the summer ahead.

Please use this thread to discuss upcoming summer.

Edited by reef
Change topic title

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Csa/Csb

A complete guess, but this is what I wrote in the predictions thread. A summer a bit like 2017, but with a much better August.

June: warm, dry and sunny conditions dominate, with the occasional thunderstorm. A heatwave around the solstice brings the warmest day of the year, with 33-34c widespread.

July: average temperatures and sunshine, but very wet with numerous thunderstorm outbreaks throughout the month. 32c reached early in the month.

August: the first half of the month is cool, cloudy and wet with temperatures struggling around the 20-22c mark. The second half of the month is very sunny and bone dry, with many days approaching 30c.

• Thanks 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Cold winters and cool summers.

I’m thinking that with the generally blocked pattern since late-last year that it will subside as we go further on into the summer, but I only feel a very westerly type summer. Rather average to below average temperatures & quite wet but with the occasional spells of the Azores high becoming friendly. I also don’t think there’ll be as much of a tendency for extreme spikes of heat like in 2019 & 2020. I’d say perhaps a summer like the likes of: 1981, 1993, 1998, 2001, 2009, 2011...

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale

Gut feeling for the extended summer..

I feel that we will get a May like 2007 but colder, a june like 2019, a july similar to 1991,an august like 1975 and a September like 2003.  Therefore relatively poor to start, then improving to be pretty good by the end.

• Like 1

Posted
11 minutes ago, SummerShower said:

Gut feeling for the extended summer..

I feel that we will get a May like 2007 but colder, a june like 2019, a july similar to 1991,an august like 1975 and a September like 2003.  Therefore relatively poor to start, then improving to be pretty good by the end.

Most of our recent summers have reserved the best conditions in the first half, deteriorating as the summer wears on with generally poor Augusts, although 2016 saw a reverse in fortunes, so perhaps time for the best weather in the school summer holidays..

Would welcome thoughts on factors that will be at play this summer, such as SST values, ENSO state etc. 

Would love to experience another 1995 again, started off very cool and cloudy, but by the solstice we had our first burst of real heat, which held in stead for the rest of the summer, not too much to ask is it! followed by a winter 95-96!

• Like 3

Posted
  • Location: Leeds/Bradford border, 185 metres above sea level, around 600 feet

I’m more uncertain than most but suspect a generally poor summer, probably the worst since 2012.

Would be current punt. 

• Like 2

Posted
3 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

I’m more uncertain than most but suspect a generally poor summer, probably the worst since 2012.

Would be current punt. 

Hope not... that would bring a washout as well.. rather have a colder but drier and sunnier summer.. rare to have though, 2010 did it.. and there are some similiarities with how the jet has behaved this year so far and 2010.

Posted

A summer similar to 1980 or 81, with a supercell storm event, with daytime darkness across much of England. This will happen sometime in august. 

• Like 1

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: In summer, a decent thunderstorm, and hot weather. In winter, snow or gale
1 hour ago, Sunny76 said:

A summer similar to 1980 or 81, with a supercell storm event, with daytime darkness across much of England. This will happen sometime in august. 

Certainly hoping for some wardrobe shakers this summer, and I think there's a reasonable chance.. perhaps early on we could see something like June 1996 as hot air moves over the English Channel which would be cooler than average given the cold spring so far.  Result.. massive convection

• Like 1

Posted
4 hours ago, damianslaw said:

Hope not... that would bring a washout as well.. rather have a colder but drier and sunnier summer.. rare to have though, 2010 did it.. and there are some similiarities with how the jet has behaved this year so far and 2010.

Summer 2010 was actually more of a summer of two halves. A relatively warm, dry and unexceptional (though July was quite humid in Leeds) first half and a fairly cool and wet second half.

Posted
3 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

A summer similar to 1981 would be good, if the following winter was to be similar also! 

• Like 1

Posted

Somethings telling me that after all this cool weather subsides, we will be on course for a decent summer with regular warm spells and thunderstorms with the occasional cool incursion here and there. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Heat, sun and thunderstorms in summer. Cold sunny days and snow in winter

I have a feeling that summer is going to have a bit of a late start this year, as fairly disappointing temperatures (16 to 20 Celsius) and showery days will be the main theme up until early July. At this point, summer will return with a vengeance with 30-34 Celsius temps widely reported lasting for a couple of weeks with a good thunderstorm or two to finish it off. After this, temperatures will be around the 21 to 26 Celsius range for the rest of July and into August. Mid August sees another heatwave and the hottest day of the year occurs during this period; a top temp of 35 Celsius somewhere down south. From the 22nd onwards, the weather becomes more unsettled and temps go back down to the seasonal average and even below average at times. There will be a few days during this period, reminding us that autumn is on its way.

Edited by Weather Enthusiast91

Posted
7 hours ago, Sunny76 said:

Two horribly cool summers in the London area, with many days struggling around the 19-22c mark.

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Sunny and dry, thunderstorms, mild temps (13-22°C).

It will be the cloudiest, coldest and wettest summer on record.

Posted
10 hours ago, Weather Enthusiast91 said:

I have a feeling that summer is going to have a bit of a late start this year, as fairly disappointing temperatures (16 to 20 Celsius) and showery days will be the main theme up until early July. At this point, summer will return with a vengeance with 30-34 Celsius temps widely reported lasting for a couple of weeks with a good thunderstorm or two to finish it off. After this, temperatures will be around the 21 to 26 Celsius range for the rest of July and into August. Mid August sees another heatwave and the hottest day of the year occurs during this period; a top temp of 35 Celsius somewhere down south. From the 22nd onwards, the weather becomes more unsettled and temps go back down to the seasonal average and even below average at times. There will be a few days during this period, reminding us that autumn is on its way.

Unfortunately I think you might be right. Maybe a 1991 feel, with a cool May and cold June, but I really hope it doesn’t go that way. This is the time of year for optimum sunshine hours and long sunny evenings. 2002 was also another summer where it took forever to get going, despite some warm days. 

• Like 2

Posted
9 hours ago, B87 said:

Two horribly cool summers in the London area, with many days struggling around the 19-22c mark.

1981 was slightly better, as the august was warm, and had a hot spell at the start. 

1980 had the best weather in May and early June, and the rest of the summer was mostly cloudy and cool, or warm and humid with long spells of dull weather. 

Both summers had violent thunderstorms. 

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Extremes

I'm taking a punt at a cool, wet summer in general with only limited warmer spells. 

Fortunately for heat lovers I'm no expert and will probably be proved totally wrong!

Posted
9 minutes ago, Sunny76 said:

1981 was slightly better, as the august was warm, and had a hot spell at the start. 

1980 had the best weather in May and early June, and the rest of the summer was mostly cloudy and cool, or warm and humid with long spells of dull weather. 

Both summers had violent thunderstorms. 

The stats for both summers at Heathrow show that they were poor. August 1981 was the only month that was sunny with near average temperatures. July 1980 was Heathrow's coldest July on record.

June: 19.8/10.9c, 106.2 mm, 188.8 sun hours

July: 19.7/11.9c, 59.3 mm, 163.7 sun hours

August: 21.9/13.3c, 52.3 mm, 173.4 sun hours

June: 18.5/10.4c, 39.5 mm, 152.1 sun hours

July: 22.0/12.8c, 56.7 mm, 148.9 sun hours

August: 22.8/13.0c, 45.3 mm, 217.9 sun hours

Posted
  • Weather Preferences: Winter: Cold & Snowy, Summer: Just not hot

I'm buying an air conditioning unit, so it's nailed on to be a washout.

• Like 4

Posted
14 hours ago, summer blizzard said:

Summer 2010 was actually more of a summer of two halves. A relatively warm, dry and unexceptional (though July was quite humid in Leeds) first half and a fairly cool and wet second half.

Summer 2010 in London had a very warm and sunny June, a rarity of a warm but cloudy July, and then a very cool and extremely cloudy August.

1849084805_Heathrow2010.thumb.png.27a91831c660949aec217ea2b5445bdb.png

• Like 1

Posted
40 minutes ago, B87 said:

The stats for both summers at Heathrow show that they were poor. August 1981 was the only month that was sunny with near average temperatures. July 1980 was Heathrow's coldest July on record.

June: 19.8/10.9c, 106.2 mm, 188.8 sun hours

July: 19.7/11.9c, 59.3 mm, 163.7 sun hours

August: 21.9/13.3c, 52.3 mm, 173.4 sun hours

June: 18.5/10.4c, 39.5 mm, 152.1 sun hours

July: 22.0/12.8c, 56.7 mm, 148.9 sun hours

August: 22.8/13.0c, 45.3 mm, 217.9 sun hours

I would actually like to travel back to those summers, and witness it as an adult. I was only 4-5 then. I only remember the pitch black darkness of the august 1981 storm. Dark as midnight during mid morning. The weirdest ever weather memory. 

I take it you were old enough to remember that time. Was London as dull and grey as some folk say it was back then? 

Posted
28 minutes ago, B87 said:

Summer 2010 in London had a very warm and sunny June, a rarity of a warm but cloudy July, and then a very cool and extremely cloudy August.

1849084805_Heathrow2010.thumb.png.27a91831c660949aec217ea2b5445bdb.png

It was the same as 2009 in some ways. June being the best month of both those summers. Warm and often hot at times,  but July 2009 was thundery and wet, and august 2010 was cold and dull. 

Posted
Just now, Sunny76 said:

I would actually like to travel back to those summers, and witness it as an adult. I was only 4-5 then. I only remember the pitch black darkness of the august 1981 storm. Dark as midnight during mid morning. The weirdest ever weather memory. 

I take it you were old enough to remember that time. Was London as dull and grey as some folk say it was back then? 

I wasn't alive then. I was born in 1987.